• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Riviera resale change and value of BCV/BWV

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Someone had a question on another DVC forum about buying at BCV and as I was composing my answer it just hit me - I think Disney just increased the value of BCV/BWV contracts (at least in the 1-5 year timeframe).

I had been somewhat worried that the opening of a new EPCOT/HS resort with a post-2068 end date would give pause to resale buyers of BCV. But now...a buyer 'educated' enough to consider a BCV/BWV resale purchase would have to balance the shorter RTU vs the knowledge that buying direct at Riviera is a fool's game.

When at 5 years cheap Riviera resale contracts - that can't be used at the 'original 14' - hit the market in volume I'm not sure what happens. But in the shorter term it seems like a strong positive for BCV/BWV owners.

TheHolleys87

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II
I think that’s possible. I’m also happy that I can sit back and watch — no plans to sell or buy in the foreseeable future.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I think the resale value of the 14 original resorts will at least maintain their value since they offer the most flexibility at the lowest price (vs retail). But we shall see what happens.

DVC is making so many changes this year that it is hard to keep up...the new 2020 points allocation chart, the new resale restrictions and the upcoming retail price increases on points. Not to mention all the changes that are not DVC related. I can see why people get upset. Too much change all at once.

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think that’s possible. I’m also happy that I can sit back and watch — no plans to sell or buy in the foreseeable future.
An enviable position in which to be in. I sold about 40% of my BCV points last year. Partly to lock in a tidy profit before Riviera 'launched' and RTU, partly because selling them at some point was part of my 'plan' when I bought into BLT in 2015, and partly because our kids are headed off to college in a few years.

As the proverb goes (at least as DVC owners) we live in interesting times.

TheHolleys87

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II
An enviable position in which to be in. I sold about 40% of my BCV points last year. Partly to lock in a tidy profit before Riviera 'launched' and RTU, partly because selling them at some point was part of my 'plan' when I bought into BLT in 2015, and partly because our kids are headed off to college in a few years.

As the proverb goes (at least as DVC owners) we live in interesting times.

We bought BWV in 1997 when our kids were 9 and 13, now we're empty nesters so are truly enjoying the flexibility of DVC (most trips we're by ourselves but we can treat the kids and grandkids from time to time). Obviously we're in it for the long haul.