• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

RCI Lowest MF $ per TPU received

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
I am using RCI less and less, but I have yet to give up on the 1 remaining property I keep in RCI because of the TPUs received for the MF $ I pay. I realize this may vary slightly from year to year based on MF and changing TPUs. But using 2019 data this is what I have.

I have a dual listed II/RCI and RCI Points points resort that I pay $450 in MF and I receive 27 TPUs for. So I pay $16.67 per TPU.

What is your MF Cost per TPU you receive? ($MF/#TPUs)

What is the best out there in terms of MF vs TPUs received.

jackio

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sand Pebbles, Sheraton Broadway Plantation, Hawaiian Sun Holidays
My best one is about $11 per TPU. It used to be $8 but the maintenance fees rose and RCI dropped the value. I used to get 50 but it’s down to 41.

kenojg

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am using RCI less and less, but I have yet to give up on the 1 remaining property I keep in RCI because of the TPUs received for the MF $ I pay. I realize this may vary slightly from year to year based on MF and changing TPUs. But using 2019 data this is what I have.

I have a dual listed II/RCI and RCI Points points resort that I pay $450 in MF and I receive 27 TPUs for. So I pay $16.67 per TPU.

What is your MF Cost per TPU you receive? ($MF/#TPUs)

What is the best out there in terms of MF vs TPUs received.
so i have two studio's in Colorado Silvercreek... my rate had been about $25 per, which over the years with MF rising and trade value lowering, is now close to $30.. I always felt the $25 was pretty good , and when RCI went to TPU I got a lot more trades per TS via last 30 days. What resort do you guys have? and MF?

Bailey#1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC SSR BWV, Avenue Plaza, Redington Ambassador
I have an Avenue Plaza in NOLA MF $780. TPU's is 40. Comes out to $19.50 a point.

We go to this resort every third year.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
I have a summer 3br 4th of July week at hhi. Imho it gets lower tpu than it should at 36-38. Fees are $24. But I can pfd it for 78k, which I think is a better value. We bought to use and never traded originally. Now we always trade. I’m glad that I at least have a decent trading option.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
My best one is about $11 per TPU. It used to be $8 but the maintenance fees rose and RCI dropped the value. I used to get 50 but it’s down to 41.
what resort/season/size/MF if you do not mind sharing

Last edited:

GeorgeJ.

TUG Member
Reaction score
The tpu on my Blue Whale week depends on what week you reserve and deposit into RCI. The maintenance on the week is $596 and it looks like I got 38 tpu on the deposit from last year (August week). Which is around $15.50 per point. If you reserve the highest demand summer weeks I believe RCI still gives 50 tpu (June & July weeks) for a Blue Whale studio. So the cost would be even lower.
I have 116 points sitting in RCI now after making two exchanges in 2019. So I'm getting more points than I need from the deposits...Much nicer than the old week-for-week exchanges I used to get from my Blue Whale weeks. RCI is making a TON more money than they used to since they're getting multiple $239 exchange fees from me rather than only one per year, and they're getting quite a few fees when I need to combine the points to keep from losing the oldest every few years.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
My parents had orange lakes Christmas week and got 58 tpu. They still have 150 tpu to use up! We “share” their tpus to assist them.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Presidential Villas at Plantation is about the best value I have seen, and it's a great resort. Fees are about $920, TPU's are 60 for the 3 bedroom, when locking that off to two separate units. It used to be much better. I used to get 101 TPU's for one particular week each year, but now there are about 10 weeks of the summer that get the same number of TPU's.

But my weeks are now in points. I converted them years ago. I think the value is pretty good at around 1 cent per point, some higher, some slightly lower in value. A week 24 is higher than week 23. 24 gets around 104K, a week 23 gets 88.5K.

But any deeded summer week can book weeks 20-38, prime summer season. You can choose a week to deposit, once you pay your fees. Every now and then, Plantation Resort will choose a week for you to deposit, and it's never 24-32, it's usually a fringe summer deposit. I used to call to tell them what week I want to deposit, and they would just deposit some random week. You cannot let them do that.

The TUG mantra has always been to get RCI points at around 1 cent in MF's. No one has changed that in the 14 years I have been here. I find that so odd. Inflation should pay a part. :)

If Hilton and DVC go to RCI, it would serve RCI/Wyndham right. They have reduced trading power for almost everything.

We do plan to keep RCI until our TPU's are gone. You wouldn't believe how many we have left.

Last edited:

scootr5

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Wyndham (points and Avenue Plaza Mardi Gras week)
If I were to deposit it to RCI, my Quarter House unit would get 41 TPUs for $626 in maintenance fees - $15.26 per TPU.

I have an Avenue Plaza in NOLA MF $780. TPU's is 40. Comes out to $19.50 a point.

Interestingly, when I searched my Avenue Plaza 1 bedroom it was only showing 31 to 35 TPUs for various weeks through 2020, and not the 40 referenced by Bailey.

Bailey#1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC SSR BWV, Avenue Plaza, Redington Ambassador
If I were to deposit it to RCI, my Quarter House unit would get 41 TPUs for $626 in maintenance fees - $15.26 per TPU.

Interestingly, when I searched my Avenue Plaza 1 bedroom it was only showing 31 to 35 TPUs for various weeks through 2020, and not the 40 referenced by Bailey.
If you have a floating week look at Christmas week 2019.

scootr5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Wyndham (points and Avenue Plaza Mardi Gras week)
If you have a floating week look at Christmas week 2019.

That would do it - the unexplained RCI AVP oddity that there are some weeks that get higher TPUs that Mardis Gras or Jazz Fest...

jackio

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sand Pebbles, Sheraton Broadway Plantation, Hawaiian Sun Holidays
what resort/season/size/MF if you do not mind sharing

I have a studio at Sand Pebbles, Solana Beach, CA. The MF are in the low $400's. I book a good week 2 years in advance and deposit about 1 year in advance. The 2020 week will get 41 TPU but I am spoiled because I used to get 50 TPU for $350 MF back in the day.

I am thinking of depositing the 2020 week into II, which shows the week as the highest demand, but I would have to upgrade from studio for the extra fee, and I'm not sure what kinds of trades I can get since it is a standard resort.
I am backed up with RCI TPUs so I might give it a shot.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a studio at Sand Pebbles, Solana Beach, CA. The MF are in the low $400's. I book a good week 2 years in advance and deposit about 1 year in advance. The 2020 week will get 41 TPU but I am spoiled because I used to get 50 TPU for $350 MF back in the day.

I am thinking of depositing the 2020 week into II, which shows the week as the highest demand, but I would have to upgrade from studio for the extra fee, and I'm not sure what kinds of trades I can get since it is a standard resort.
I am backed up with RCI TPUs so I might give it a shot.
What is the difference in TPUs when you deposit that early in RCI vs few months before? I am about to close on a week with the first usage April 2019 so we are getting closer to the check in date. I am wondering if I should instead deposit it in Interval where i at least have Vistana priority that may make a difference. The week is Sheraton Vistana Resort and it trades in both.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
What is the difference in TPUs when you deposit that early in RCI vs few months before? I am about to close on a week with the first usage April 2019 so we are getting closer to the check in date. I am wondering if I should instead deposit it in Interval where i at least have Vistana priority that may make a difference. The week is Sheraton Vistana Resort and it trades in both.
I think i know the answer now, less then 90 days you lose 20% of the TPU, between 30-14 days you get 45% of the TPU s only.

A.Win

TUG Member
Reaction score
I feel that $20 or less per TPU is quite good. My guess is that most resorts are probably $25-$35 per TPU. The best deal is to find an owner with excessive TPUs that expire soon. They will generally give you a really good deal. I like Vacation Villages TPUs because they offer the exchange discount. I am always running out of those and I can always use more of them.

talkamotta

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think i know the answer now, less then 90 days you lose 20% of the TPU, between 30-14 days you get 45% of the TPU s only.

Your resort will have a schedule and I think it's across the board. All I remember is if it's 9 months or longer it is full value. So my one fixed week in February, that I use as a trader, I will call them in the next month or so to prepay 2020 mfs.

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
For RCI TPUs, I use my Christmas Mountain Village UDI. This is a very unusual type of ownership where extra weeks can be booked on short notice, if there is availability, just by paying a housekeeping fee. I just use extra, last-minute weeks for RCI deposits, not the more valuable weeks that can be rented or are valuable in II. I generally get around 11 TPU per week, and the housekeeping fee used to only be around $65. Now, the housekeeping fee has shot up to $137.99. I now don't always bother booking as many weeks as I can. With the price now about $12.50 per TPU (counting only the housekeeping fee), I would rather trade in II or in RCI Points.

I pay $1300 per year for my UDI in addition to housekeeping fees. The UDI is deeded as three weeks a year, but I can easily get seven weeks, including three or four red weeks. If I used my Christmas Mountain Village UDI just to generate RCI TPus, the cost would be maybe $20 per TPU. But, it makes more sense to deposit only the last minute off-season weeks into RCI Weeks, and find better uses for more valuable weeks.

Cindy, I agree that 1 cent per RCI Point is now hard to find. I'd be interested in hearing what people are paying for points. I do have an RCI Points week where fees are right about 1 cent per point, but it only provides 81,000 points every two years. I can deposit my Christmas Mountain Village UDI weeks into points-for-deposit, and that is still a pretty good deal.

Jackio, I think your Sand Pebbles cost per TPU is the lowest so far on this thread.

I feel that $20 or less per TPU is quite good. My guess is that most resorts are probably $25-$35 per TPU. The best deal is to find an owner with excessive TPUs that expire soon. They will generally give you a really good deal. I like Vacation Villages TPUs because they offer the exchange discount. I am always running out of those and I can always use more of them.
How does the Vacation Village exchange discount work? Also, I am interested in hearing what rate you are finding for transferred TPUs.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I never look for the lowest mf $ per tpu received especially if it’s a resort I will use most of the time.

If it is a resort for trading I get a strong trading unit that is affiliated with II. I find RCI fluctuates too much and tpu value today that is good can be bad a few months from now. I know it happened to a few I had and the resorts were still prime area, prime time and well maintained.

I find II is more consistent with trade value and more fair with trades. Getting accommodation certificates at times for depositing as well as free accommodation certificates at various times throughout the year let’s you get multiple weeks for your one deposit, a reason some prefer RCI, II just does it differently.

chemteach

TUG Member
Reaction score
Cindy, I agree that 1 cent per RCI Point is now hard to find. I'd be interested in hearing what people are paying for points. I do have an RCI Points week where fees are right about 1 cent per point, but it only provides 81,000 points every two years. I can deposit my Christmas Mountain Village UDI weeks into points-for-deposit, and that is still a pretty good deal.

GrandView in Las Vegas 2 bedroom weeks for 98,000 points costing $850 in maintenance fees come up pretty often on eBay. I recently purchased 2 of those for RCI points usage. It's worked well so far.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
Woodstone at Massanutten 4 BR gets 137,000 points for $850. Also gets the Vacation Village exchange rate.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Regal Vistas (also Massanutten) summer weeks 4 br get 178,000 points for $985.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
That is a great deal. I wish I needed more, but I definitely do not. :) I may sell some of my weeks, at this point in time. I have always been that person who pays fees way ahead, and this time, I have been struggling with the cash to pay all of them by the 31st of January, when most are due now. My Disney fees are the only ones I have left to pay, and so I will put those on my credit card, just as soon as the statement closes for this month.

What have I done???

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Woodstone at Massanutten 4 BR gets 137,000 points for $850. Also gets the Vacation Village exchange rate.

These good deals are not helping me resist my urge to buy more timeshares!

Are these resorts still in developer sales? Sometimes MFs are subsidized during developer sales, which can lead to steep increases later.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Woodstone is not being subsidized. It think Regal Vistas has a provision where the developer can still subsidize but have not for the 2019 and 2018. They are still selling the conversions for thousands so there aren't that many summer converted points resales available.