• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Maui Bay Villas by Hilton Grand Vacations

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
This is basically the google maps image of the resort. The drainage gulch it to the right. I've included the beach area with the retaining walls. the broad sand area is in front of the gulch. Note googlemaps has the gulch in the wrong place it is farther to the right.

upload_2019-1-26_18-29-48.png

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Was wondering how Hilton intends to 'capture' people to do timeshare tours of this property.

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
Was wondering how Hilton intends to 'capture' people to do timeshare tours of this property.
While they are at other properties such as Oahu and BI.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
While they are at other properties such as Oahu and BI.

Right. "You seem to like visiting Hawai'i. Have you heard about our new property on Maui?"
"Cool. Is it in that popular part...uh...Ka'anapali?"
"No, it's in an even better location. And priced accordingly, of course...check it out!"

Cheers.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I am sure that they will also market this to their Japanese base and at at their kiosk at Narita airport.

Will have to get a VIP or bounceback offer in 2020 for this. A stay would be well worth sitting through the presentation plus I wouldn't mind learning more about it.

Last edited:

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Some seriously unhappy people, to be sure. Of course, I agree with them to some extent and sure hope it doesn't end up looking like Waikiki. That would truly be disappointing.

Cheers.

Many locals in Maui are never happy about any development that is not community minded. They have already taxed the hell out of timeshares in Maui because nobody that pays those taxes gets to vote it down. They do not want tourists. Yet a large portion of Hawaii, especially Maui's economy is based on tourism. It is like the dog biting that hand that feeds you.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Many locals in Maui are never happy about any development that is not community minded. They have already taxed the hell out of timeshares in Maui because nobody that pays those taxes gets to vote it down. They do not want tourists. Yet a large portion of Hawaii, especially Maui's economy is based on tourism. It is like the dog biting that hand that feeds you.

Oh, I know. It's not at all unexpected. But I can appreciate the disillusionment of the locals for what is (as several of them said) a rich persons' luxury timeshare.

Cheers.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
Is that a street running between the beach/pool and the resort buildings?

I'm headed to Maui in June to spend a week at the Hyatt there. I'll have to check out the construction.
I'll be at the Marriott there in late June also. Happy to hear Hilton may finally have something in Maui, but I'm having a hard time imagining that location being comparable to my 2-bedroom oceanfront at the Marriott. Plus, you can buy a 2-bedroom OF at the Marriott for about $32k on the secondary market. If a Hilton is ~100k, again... hard to see how that works out.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
I'll be at the Marriott there in late June also. Happy to hear Hilton may finally have something in Maui, but I'm having a hard time imagining that location being comparable to my 2-bedroom oceanfront at the Marriott. Plus, you can buy a 2-bedroom OF at the Marriott for about $32k on the secondary market. If a Hilton is ~100k, again... hard to see how that works out.
Comparing resale to retail pricing is an apples to oranges comparison. I'm quite sure within a year after it opens we will see 2BR resales for way, way less than $32K.

Kurt

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
Comparing resale to retail pricing is an apples to oranges comparison. I'm quite sure within a year after it opens we will see 2BR resales for way, way less than $32K.

Kurt
Perhaps. But if Hilton Hawaiian Village is any example, probably not. Prices there, from Hilton, are roughly 3X what they are resale (Redweek), and, unlike Marriott, there's no difference (no "enrolling"). Same points, etc. And since the Hilton-Maui is a 3-phase development not completed until 2027, buying a homeweek there may be quite pricey for a while.

Hsahota1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV
Wonder if the booking window will be similar to Grand Islander?

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
Wonder if the booking window will be similar to Grand Islander?

I would expect that to be the case (but I will be happy if they don't).

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
I think the 6 vs 9 month booking window is irrelevent for those of us that plan and reserve when it opens. Availability occurs because owners there dont make home resort booking or there is excess HGVC owned inventory that is not rented or deposited in RCI.

IMO the 60/45 day window is the restrictive one that affects club opportunity the most. That hasn’t come to Hawaii yet, but may if the new Waikiki property is to be a Residence.

I’m sure this will be a high point resort like KL/GW/GI. It will be interesting to see if they make one of the phases lower point or mixed like KL. KL may become a one off resort in that respect.

There should always be plenty of the high point units available in Hawaii, I know mine will because I’ll never book it. I will always stretch the points by taking a lower point unit. :)

Listen to me, I sound like it may actually be built in my lifetime, lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana

I don't expect the resort to have views comparable to your Marriott OF (or Westin WKORV OF) because it is across the road instead of directly on the beach. But it will be good OVs. I imagine that the developer retail prices will be in the same comparable ballpark.

However, if you trade your existing HGVC points (plus buy another inexpensive resale with low MF/pt to meet the high pt requirements) to trade in during club season, I expect that will be a MUCH better deal than paying $32k for a resale MOC OF.

We were considering buying another week to add to our WKORVN, but I now view MBV as a more economical way to stretch our WKORVN week on Maui to a longer stay. Sure, we need to move resorts and there is the difference of OV vs. OF. However this raises the question as to whether this is "good enough" for saving $22k+ ($32k MOC minus $10k HGVC resale) on another MOC or WKORV resale purchase - it becomes a personal preference of view, location, and discretionary budget as to whether an extra $22k+ is worth it.

We still get our OF beachfront week at WKORVN, then can get another week at MBV, a comparable quality resort, (but not OF). We are not burdened with a high Maui MOC or WKORV MF of $2500 - $3200 per week and could save more than half of that annually with the right HGVC resale unit.

Of course, this strategy assumes decent club window and unit availability. It probably won't work during event weeks and July/Aug. However, the high point values will keep many people opting for BI or Oahu and reduce demand.

If this HGVC strategy doesn't work, we can always pick up a resale WKORV or MOC OF which, to your point, is much more cost effective than retail.

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Any chance that this thread can return to the orginal conversation about the Maui property? Maybe you all should take this outside.

DONE - the Aloha/Tourism debate has been moved to the Hawaii forum.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
Just bringing drone video back to this thread

Thanks for sharing the drone footage Kind of surprising how much open space was around the old resort.

I am sure the new HGV resort will be nice, even if roads make it a bit more urban than some of the other resorts.

GeorgeJ.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Many years ago I recall there was a store in Kihei that sold some of the original Maui BBQ ribs. Never been back because of traffic from Lahaina. Don't know if it still exists, but would love to pick up some of those ribs and BBQ them at the resort. Yum!
That was Azeka's Market in Kihei that sold the Maui ribs. We also used to get them and bbq them where we were staying, going back to the 80's...Azeka's closed a few years ago though. Don't know if another market started selling their own version..should have..they were very popular.