• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott Maui Ocean Club Old Room Kitchen

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
What types of plates, cups, utensils are there in the mini-kitchen? Any dishes etc to cook in microwave?

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
What types of plates, cups, utensils are there in the mini-kitchen? Any dishes etc to cook in microwave?
There are full plates, utensils and some microwave type cooking options. They also have a central kitchen with more cooking options across from the front desk.

NboroGirl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
We found it is stocked similarly as other Marriott villas, excluding fry pans and oven bakeware (for obvious reasons).

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Thanks everyone. I guess if we can't get into Napili/Lahaina we could bring a hotplate and a pan for quick frying/searing of stuff.

drlee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Frypans are available in old units, too. Use common kitchen to fry bacon, do a stirfry or sear something. If you're in a studio, you can request a pan from housekeeping. if you're in the molokai or maui wings, it's a short trip to the kitchen, with induction cooktops. (they are really fast) Don't recommend hotplates....it's too easy to set off fire alarm. :)

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Frypans are available in old units, too. Use common kitchen to fry bacon, do a stirfry or sear something. If you're in a studio, you can request a pan from housekeeping. if you're in the molokai or maui wings, it's a short trip to the kitchen, with induction cooktops. (they are really fast) Don't recommend hotplates....it's too easy to set off fire alarm. :)
We'll be really careful...:cool:

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
We'll be really careful...:cool:

I’m sitting in the living room of a unit right now. You’ll have to be REALLY careful in order to not set off the fire alarm. It’s literally right above the wet bar area.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
I’m sitting in the living room of a unit right now. You’ll have to be REALLY careful in order to not set off the fire alarm. It’s literally right above the wet bar area.
We'll cook on the Lanai :D

enma

TUG Member
Reaction score
So pots in the room or just in the common kitchen? Thinking can I prep the food in the room and then just cook it in the common kitchen? The fridge is "apartment size" with a freezer?

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
So pots in the room or just in the common kitchen? Thinking can I prep the food in the room and then just cook it in the common kitchen? The fridge is "apartment size" with a freezer?

There are pots and a small skillet in the room. Also some Tupperware.

The fridge isn’t a large fridge. Maybe 14 cubic ft. It has a freezer but not ice maker

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Many timeshares have rules prohibiting electric skillets and the like.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Many timeshares have rules prohibiting electric skillets and the like.

I’ve been at timeshares where someone sets off the fire alarm due to carelessness. Always a good time standing outside while they clear the building.

I’m certain people use hot plates Occasionally with little to no problem. And realistically, I can only think of two definite instances in 20 years we’ve evacuated for a false fire alarm, but I’m pretty certain it’s been 3 or 4. Not bad considering we’ve averaged 4 weeks per year for 20 years.

Personally, I’m to chicken and would be to paranoid to use a hot plate. I even get nervous about leaving a crock pot alone. However others not so much and who am I to judge. Of course I’m still the one who will call someone a dumb A if I have to evacuate while they check the buildings.

As for rules, it seems to me those only apply when you get caught. Few of us are perfect.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
As for rules, it seems to me those only apply when you get caught. Few of us are perfect.
No one is perfect but purposefully violating rules would be an integrity issue.

1st Class

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I guess if we can't get into Napili/Lahaina we could bring a hotplate and a pan for quick frying/searing of stuff.

When we were there a few years ago, I requested a missing pot and was given a rice cooker as well. By now, they may have an instant pot too. It wouldn't hurt to ask ...

We also used the side burner on the BBQ as a makeshift cooktop. :)

Last edited:

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I do find it disappointing that some Marriott resorts do not have proper kitchen facilities.
I don’t understand why these were not included, even in converted hotels?
We own at St Kitts, where the MVC units were converted from hotel rooms and they have full kitchens.
We typically stay multi week at MVC resorts, so although we do enjoy dining out at restaurants we also often cook in our villas .
Lack of these facilities would definitely put us off staying at those MVC resorts.

Last edited:

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I do find it disappointing that some Marriott resorts do not have proper kitchen facilities.
I don’t understand why these were not included, even in converted hotels?
We own at St Kitts, where the MVC units were converted from hotel rooms and they have
We typically stay multi week at MVC resorts, so although we do enjoy dining out at restaurants we also often cook in our villas .
Lack of these facilities would definitely put us off staying at those MVC resorts.
We've stayed in many units over the years with a smaller of limited kitchen, almost all were completely fine for our needs. We've seen all types of setups for many reasons. Many of these were converted hotels and some were designed that way purposefully. Crystal Shores was converted but they took it down to the posts and started fresh. Having a limited kitchen at KBC and Maui is reasonable but they are more limited than need be. The move up to the larger fridge for Maui was a big plus but to me a minimum would be to have the microwave be a convection and a smaller stove top of say 2 burners. Having the community kitchen for Maui also helps some. That's largely the reason we're rather not go to Kauai than stay at KBC, I'd rather be working than take my vacation time in that manner (Kim and I both agree on this). For Maui it's less of an issue when it's just the 2 of us due to the options that surround the resort like Whalers Village.

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista (x2)
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
When we vacation, we eat most meals in the villa...unless we are out and about site-seeing or out to a nice dinner. Plenty of restaurants near Maui Ocean Club, in case we opt to not cook at all.

We enjoy the full kitchen that most MVC properties have within the villa. But, we also get by fine (as a family of 4) at properties like Maui where the old villas have no cooktop/oven. We are not professional chefs by any means. We just select our meals to fit around use without a cooktop/oven. Breakfast is cereals, muffins, fruit, juice, coffee, milk and even pre-cooked bacon which can go in the microwave. While not optimal, you can do eggs in the microwave with the right additional tool. Lunch we do sandwiches, salads, veggies, deli meats, chips, etc. Dinner is the only slightly harder meal...as you cannot cook pasta dishes or meats. You can buy microwave pasta meals, which sometimes is okay. We tend to try to grill a lot, which we enjoy on vacation (as long as the weather is good).

For Maui old villas, the larger fridge was a really nice addition and step forward. It makes a big difference in storing cold food, milk, juices, left overs, meats, etc. I do wish they would install convection microwaves, which is a small additional cost difference...but would close a basic gap on the oven portion. Then just use the common kitchen for cooktop needs.

dlpearson

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORN, SVV (Bella), MOC, MBP, 7MileBeach Club
We made a (wrong) assumption the communal kitchen in the lobby was a full kitchen with oven and stove top. We stopped at Costco after the airport, before driving to Kaanapali. We bought the Costco mac and cheese (which bakes in the over for 50 minutes), think it wouldn't be a problem to cook in the communal kitchen. Surprise! No oven. But we creatively determined to "bake" it in the grill. Turned on 2 burners on medium low heat for 45 minutes, and it woked great!

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
FWIW, the communal kitchen, IMHO, was rather small for a resort of this size (unless there’s another one I missed) with only 3 cooktops. It was always busy including breakfast times. In order to get pictures of it without people in there cooking, I had to be there at 06:00 AND be lucky. I fully understand the desire for a hot plate and wonder how often people might use them. OTOH, grills were often available and with a little skill a person can do just about anything on one of them. Maybe not fooling with oil or grease but nearly anything else.

I’ll post a link to the album once we’re home and I can better organize the pictures/videos

Last edited:

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm sitting right now in a hotel conversion with a MUCH more usable kitchen than either Maui or Kauai. In a 10 ft stretch they have a small sink, 2 top burger, convection microwave, 3/4 size fridge (with Ice Maker), 18 in DW and full cooking utensils and other than no actual oven and being more compact, it has everything a full kitchen has. Both Maui and Kauai have more than 10 ft of space to work with in total.

dlpearson

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORN, SVV (Bella), MOC, MBP, 7MileBeach Club
I think part of the determination of why some hotel conversions have full kitchens vs. "kitchenettes" has to do with 1) overall cost expenditure that Marriott took into account when deciding how much expense vs profit they wanted to make at the time, and 2) local laws (some older hotels do not meet fire code regulations/designation for kitchens), hence no stove top or oven. Having just recently stayed in 1 bedroom Molokai unit, it was fine with the limited kitchen (we boiled pasta one night in the communal kitchen for spaghetti), used the grill. I would prefer the limited kitchen with much better ocean views of the older buildings than being in a newer tower with full kitchen. I was somewhat disappointed (granted, I didn't see the interior of one of the newer units) with the location, and especially the balcony size, of the new towers.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think part of the determination of why some hotel conversions have full kitchens vs. "kitchenettes" has to do with 1) overall cost expenditure that Marriott took into account when deciding how much expense vs profit they wanted to make at the time, and 2) local laws (some older hotels do not meet fire code regulations/designation for kitchens), hence no stove top or oven. Having just recently stayed in 1 bedroom Molokai unit, it was fine with the limited kitchen (we boiled pasta one night in the communal kitchen for spaghetti), used the grill. I would prefer the limited kitchen with much better ocean views of the older buildings than being in a newer tower with full kitchen. I was somewhat disappointed (granted, I didn't see the interior of one of the newer units) with the location, and especially the balcony size, of the new towers.
But that's just it, the cost between what was done and what could have been done is negligible. Compared to the unit I had yesterday including the same fridge with microwave, 2 top burner and convection microwave. What's the real cost difference to a corporation the size of MVC, roughly $150-200 a villa total? for those items plus utensils.

NboroGirl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
I always thought it was a building code thing. The hotel rooms weren't built with cooking and ovens in mind. To convert them to have stoves and ovens, they would need fire walls or something in between each unit. To add that would be very costly. (I could be wrong.)

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I always thought it was a building code thing. The hotel rooms weren't built with cooking and ovens in mind. To convert them to have stoves and ovens, they would need fire walls or something in between each unit. To add that would be very costly. (I could be wrong.)
I don't think that's the case at all, my understanding was they just made choices. There was apparently significant discussion a few years ago when refurbishing KBC to make such changes but for some reason it wasn't done. W/D and a stove could be aa issue but even then they could have done the all in one W/D which do not require venting. Wiring for 220 and vent's would be more problematic.