• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Which island/which resort for Hawaii vacation for retired couple?

DEScottzz

TUG Member
Reaction score
We haven't been to Hawaii for more than ten years. Last time we stayed on Oahu, and the things we enjoyed most were a couple bus (van) tours of local culture, archaeology, geology, and the like. The hustle bustle of Honolulu wasn't that much fun.

This trip will be added to the end of a trip to Reno in late August. We're thinking 5 or 6 days. Looks like Southwest has some good fares, and we have a companion pass.

We're not really beach people. We are more into museums etc. My wife has arthritis but gets around pretty well with a cane. We won't be doing any long hikes, though.

Which is the best Marriott resort for us, and on which island?

Thanks!

Dave

luvgoldns

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
I think the GoHawaii website does a really great job with their island overview.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The Maui Ocean Club would be my recommendation, as always. This is because for us to offers everything the other islands have and more IMHO. The best thing for us however is the great location. So many very good restaurants a short walk from the resort and also Front St. just a 1/4 mi away.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
My choice would be any on Kauai. Slower, more relaxed pace, much less crowded than Oahu or Maui, great cultural history and diversity, excellent scenery, and plenty to do, whether you drive yourself or take organized tours. There are three Marriotts on Kauai, and they’re all good.

Dave

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
i second the vote for Kaua’i.
So beautiful, wonderful gardens, good food, relaxing.
We enjoy the restaurants at the beach club ( connected to Marriott).

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Last time we stayed on Oahu, and the things we enjoyed most were a couple bus (van) tours of local culture, archaeology, geology, and the like. The hustle bustle of Honolulu wasn't that much fun...We're not really beach people. We are more into museums etc.
For better or worse nothing beats Oahu for Hawaiiana, culture, and museums. Iolani and Queen Emma's Palace, the Bishop Museum, The Honolulu Museum of Art, Shangri La, and Spalding House, and dozens of other sites. But Ko Olina is on the wrong side of the island...so if you have MRPs to spend I'd use them.

Maui has Haleakala and the smallish museums and Banyan tree of Lahaini...and not much else that would seem to fit your needs. And the traffic from Kaanapali down through Lahaini is now arguably worse than Honolulu.

Kauai would probably be my first choice (if Oahu is out of the question). As a couple you'll be in Lihue (unless you want to spend the DPs on a 2BR at Waiohai) which is either a small town or the biggest city on Kauai depending on how you look at it. Lihue has a small museum and some good eats but most of tourist sites are on the North or South Shores. Kauai is *very* low key and welcoming...which isn't exactly what you asked for but wonderful nonetheless.

The Big Island could be a good choice as well if you are willing to do a lot of driving. The resort is up in Waikoloa which has the very cute town of Hawi and some petroglyphs nearby. But the major sites - Kailua-Kona (with a small museum), Captain Cook, Punalu'u, Volcano NP, Hilo (museum, orchids, and waterfalls), and perhaps Mauna Kea - are all far away. And perhaps best done in a two day trip with an overnight in Volcano or Hilo.

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
The Maui Ocean Club would be my recommendation, as always. This is because for us to offers everything the other islands have and more IMHO. The best thing for us however is the great location. So many very good restaurants a short walk from the resort and also Front St. just a 1/4 mi away.

We love the MOC (we are there right now), but I don't think it is a good destination for someone with mobility issues. The facility is enormous, has many stairs, and requires long walks to get from place to place (including just to get to the elevators, depending on room location). Also, the closest "off campus" restaurants are about a quarter mile away (in Whalers Village; Front Street is actually about two miles away, but one would drive there). The beach promenade to get to Whalers Village (or anywhere else) is crowded.

I would also suggest Kauai, but at a smaller resort. If it is to be a Marriott, Waiohai or Kauai Lagoons.

Last edited:

cp73

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DSV 1
We're not really beach people. We are more into museums etc. My wife has arthritis but gets around pretty well with a cane. We won't be doing any long hikes, though.
Thanks!

Honestly, after reading your requirements I would say Hawaii may not be the best to meet your requirements. The only island that would come close is Oahu just because they have the most tourist places to see for those with some minor limitations for mobility IMO. How about Washington DC, NYC or big cities with lots of museums and cultural events and activities.

jacknsara

KBV Forum Moderator
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pahio Kauai Beach Villas, Pahio Shearwater
We haven't been to Hawaii for more than ten years. Last time we stayed on Oahu, and the things we enjoyed most were a couple bus (van) tours of local culture, archaeology, geology, and the like. The hustle bustle of Honolulu wasn't that much fun.

This trip will be added to the end of a trip to Reno in late August. We're thinking 5 or 6 days. Looks like Southwest has some good fares, and we have a companion pass.

Thanks!

Dave
Aloha,
My outside the box answer would be none. You might want to look into renting something (e.g. vrbo) in the Kailua or Lanikai area of Oahu. I'm assuming you are willing to have a rental car. Oahu has a lot of the kind of thing you seem to like. Kailua / Lanikai is nothing like Honolulu.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/K...98ce0313066c2!8m2!3d21.4022222!4d-157.7394444
Enjoy,
Jack

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
I would suggest staying on Maui, ideally in the Kaanapali area. In that area there are about a dozen timeshares and about a dozen restaurants that you can walk to if you stay there. There is a nice walkway that parallels the ocean.

Downtown Lahaina is fun for touristy things.

You can take a bus tour to Hana (and beyond). I suspect that you could also take a bus tour to Haleakala. There aren't a lot of museums but in Lahaina there are a couple of minor ones. You can also take a boat tour to see whales (depending on the time of year), could take a boat over to Lanai, or could take a helicopter tour of Maui or the one that goes to Molokai. Both are fun. The aquarium is also interesting. Dinner or "booze" cruises could also be fun.

dgf15215

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'd have to agree with those who suggested that given your tastes and interests, that none of the islands are all that suited to them. We were in Oahu a few months back and did a couple of great walking tours and a few museums but it none of it would have been worthwhile without the beach, at least for us. We also spent some time on the Big Island but again, the beach was beautiful and we did drive around the island, did some tours that brought us into a cave and up about 9,000 feet to see the stars "up close" but again, perhaps not something you'd want to tackle. On the other hand, both Portland and Seattle have terrific cultural assets which might be much more attuned to your interests and closer to Reno. And of course, LA and SF are both culturally rich but they are more activity/walking oriented. Good luck figuring this out.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
To me it depends on what you do want to do. I'd work that out before deciding whether to go and which island. If you want to sit by the pool and eat out occasionally it really doesn't matter much and I likely would go elsewhere like MX or Aruba. If you want to sight see. by car, I'd say both Maui and Kauai are good choices.

DEScottzz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, this Hawaii trip has been postponed because we've been advised to expect a wedding invitation in Hawaii next year. The wedding will be on Oahu, so we'll spend at least part of a Hawaii trip there.

We've instead decided to tack a few days in San Francisco on the end of the Reno trip. I used our MVC points to book the Ritz Carlton. It's been helpful, though, to think of renting our MVC points, then vacationing someplace that's not an MVC resort, whether it's a Hawaii VRBO, or someplace in Portland, Seattle, or elsewhere.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll surely be back to re-read this thread when we are planning the eventual Hawaii trip.

Dave

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Those ^^^ are good options, and certainly enough to fill your days. When you’re ready, Hawaii will be calling. So much to see and do in the Bay Area. Have fun!

Dave