• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Advice needed on Vistana Villages acquistion

regatta333

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Long Wharf, Wyndham points, Vistana Westin Kierland
I have the opportunity to acquire 2 EOY 2BD lockout units (one is Bella; the other Key West) for just the closing costs. Is there any downside to owning 2 EOY units as opposed to one annual one. I understand that the maintenance fees are just over $1,700 per year. Does that sound correct? It seemed rather high to me.

Markus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WLR, WKV, WDW
There will be 2 VSE network fees, the first at the higher rate $150, and the second for $50. This assumes that you have no other mandatory deeds. If you do, then no fees.

Markus

regatta333

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So, does the $1,700 in maintenance fees include the VSE network fees, or would the fees be on top of that?

regatta333

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The maintenance fees are higher than I had expected, and significantly higher than a regular 2BD, which look to be around $1,200 per year.
If I am expecting to mainly use these for locking off and trading, am I better off just waiting to find someone who is giving away a
Sheraton Desert Oasis 2BD lockoff (only $1,150 annual maintenance)? Would I even able to give this away 10-15 years down the road
if it outlived its usefulness?

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The difference between a resale SDO and a mandatory SVV week is that the former has to use II to trade and it costs $$$ to do so while the latter includes a free II membership as well as having the ability to reserve at other Vistana resorts using Star Options without additional cost. You need to ask yourself the purpose of wanting to own either SDO or SVV. Do you just want an II trader or do you want to book within SVN? SVV 2BR L/O in the prime season yields 95.7K SO while in high season only 81K SO, for the same amount of MF. If it is 81K SO, you are certainly better off in picking up a SVV 2BR non-L/O prime season which yields 81K SO but at a lower MF.

regatta333

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I primarily intend to trade through Interval. The mandatory aspect was only attractive from the standpoint that it would be easier to get rid of down the road. I had looked in the Starwood database here and based on the maintenance fees reported for a regular 2BD, expected that the maintenance on a lockout would be somewhat comparable. With it being more than $500 per year higher, I am no longer sure it is worth it.

I assume the trading preference it receives in II is only for Vistana resorts and would not include a preference for Marriott, correct?

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I primarily intend to trade through Interval. The mandatory aspect was only attractive from the standpoint that it would be easier to get rid of down the road. I had looked in the Starwood database here and based on the maintenance fees reported for a regular 2BD, expected that the maintenance on a lockout would be somewhat comparable. With it being more than $500 per year higher, I am no longer sure it is worth it.

I assume the trading preference it receives in II is only for Vistana resorts and would not include a preference for Marriott, correct?
It is not $500 higher. It is closer to about $300 higher. If you buy an annual, you only need to pay 1 SVN fee which is $145 a year. It includes a free II membership and free internal booking. With SDO, you will need to pay for II membership and exchange fees each time you trade in II.

Yes Vistana trade preference is only for Vistana resorts, no Marriotts.

regatta333

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks to all who responded. I've decided that this is probably not right for us.

jdent1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV Bella
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Just to clarify the two bedroom l/o eoy annual fees are $744.52 not including the membership fee. So two contracts would be 744.52 x 2 = $1,489.04 plus $195 membership fee totaling $1,684.04.

jdent1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV Bella
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Are these platinum units?? If so, can you share your contact :)

Gold or platinum - the maintenance fee is the same for EOY (Every Other Year) units

capjak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BC & SSR, Marriott GV+MVC Pts, WKORV & SVV, HGVC Flamingo
That's a great deal if these are lock off and platinum. I use mine to go to Maui every year using staroptions.