• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

My Thoughts on the Safety of the Boeing 737 Max 8

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
One of the rare news articles I’ve read that didn’t use drama to draw readers in discussed how 3rd world countries have become major markets and, because of this there is a growing shortage of pilots. Secondary to the shortage of pilots manufacturors of aircraft have begun “automizing” systems so pilots with LESS training can fly them.

IMHO this is a big problem that is shared by both the companies selling the plane (more dangerous but more sales) and the airlines that fly them (less experience but bigger profits). In the end if, and I should enunciated the if, this is the problem, everyone’s profits are likely to take a hit.

x3 skier

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
For those interested, here’s an excerpt from the report I read noting immediate action by the pilot to disengage the autopilot when the 737 Max pitched over on climb out.

“Day 3 of 3 departing in a MAX 8 after a long overnight. I was well rested and had discussed the recent MAX 8 MCAS guidance with the Captain. On departure, we had strong crosswinds (gusts > 30 knots) directly off the right wing, however, no LLWS or Micro-burst activity was reported at the field. After verifying LNAV, selecting gear and flaps up, I set "UP" speed. The aircraft accelerated normally and the Captain engaged the "A" autopilot after reaching set speed. Within two to three seconds the aircraft pitched nose down bringing the VSI to approximately 1,200 to 1,500 FPM. I called "descending" just prior to the GPWS sounding "don't sink, don't sink." The Captain immediately disconnected the autopilot and pitched into a climb. The remainder of the flight was uneventful. We discussed the departure at length and I reviewed in my mind our automation setup and flight profile but can't think of any reason the aircraft would pitch nose down so aggressively.“

The reporting system does not publish the names or identify the specific aircraft to encourage reporting of every abnormal situation no matter the cause, pilot error, controller error, failure or design flaw. This system is designed to illuminate problems for further investigation and for pilot education.

IF and I repeat, IF, neither of the pilots in the crashes responded by disconnecting the autopilot, it COULD be the cause of the two crashes. Why the MCAS doesn’t work correctly, if true, is another question entirely.

Cheers

Last edited:

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
For those interested, here’s an excerpt from the report I read noting immediate action by the pilot to disengage the autopilot when the 737 Max pitched over on climb out.

“Day 3 of 3 departing in a MAX 8 after a long overnight. I was well rested and had discussed the recent MAX 8 MCAS guidance with the Captain. On departure, we had strong crosswinds (gusts > 30 knots) directly off the right wing, however, no LLWS or Micro-burst activity was reported at the field. After verifying LNAV, selecting gear and flaps up, I set "UP" speed. The aircraft accelerated normally and the Captain engaged the "A" autopilot after reaching set speed. Within two to three seconds the aircraft pitched nose down bringing the VSI to approximately 1,200 to 1,500 FPM. I called "descending" just prior to the GPWS sounding "don't sink, don't sink." The Captain immediately disconnected the autopilot and pitched into a climb. The remainder of the flight was uneventful. We discussed the departure at length and I reviewed in my mind our automation setup and flight profile but can't think of any reason the aircraft would pitch nose down so aggressively.“

The reporting system does not publish the names or identify the specific aircraft to encourage reporting of every abnormal situation no matter the cause, pilot error, controller error, failure or design flaw. This system is designed to illuminate problems for further investigation and for pilot education.

IF and I repeat, IF, neither of the pilots in the crashes responded by disconnecting the autopilot, it COULD be the cause of the two crashes. Why the MCAS doesn’t work correctly, if true, is another question entirely.

Cheers
Hi X3Skier,

Thanks for the update. Your expertise is always welcome.

Best Regards,

Richard

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
Doing some more research, I found an Emergengy Airworthiness Directive issued on 7 November 2018 dealing with this situation. It calls for disengagement of the autopilot when the aircraft is pitched down due to erratic or incorrect sensor information being fed into the autopilot.

If this information and required action had been implemented correctly by the airlines and regulators of the involved crash aircrafts, and the pilots properly trained to react, I believe they could have controlled the plane and avoided the crashes. What design change and/or maintenance procedures are required to eliminate the problem is unclear to me.

This information and the report I posted earlier further reinforces my lack of concern about flying on US Airline 737 Max aircraft and also reinforces my choice not to fly on third world airlines.

Cheers

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info regarding the 1959 Electra issue. I never knew that they figured it out. All I knew is I was flying the Electra extensively between Houston and Atlanta then from Atlanta to Philadelphia. At the time I was too young to be scared...

George

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)

Chrispee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Air Canada call centre is not accepting calls right now. I have a flight on a MAX 8 booked at the end of the month, so hopefully this gets resolved fast!

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
President Trump just ordered the grounding of all Boeing’s 737 Max 8’s and 9’s aircrafts in the United States .

The Boeing’s 737 Max 8’s and 9’s aircrafts have now been officially grounded all over the world.

The United States was the last country to ground the Boeing’s 737 Max aircrafts.

Last edited:

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Now might be a good time to buy Boeing stock.

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Looks like all 737 8&9 both grounded by FAA.

Chrispee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Are there any TUG mambers with a timeshare checkin this weekend who will be affected by the grounding? I have a flight to LIH on Friday on a 737-800, but my return flight is scheduled on a Max 8...

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am happy to hear the US is also grounding the Max 8s and 9s.

Let them investigate.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Air Canada call centre is not accepting calls right now. I have a flight on a MAX 8 booked at the end of the month, so hopefully this gets resolved fast!

Westjet is only accommodating those flying within the next few days, for comparison. I’m not sure if they expect a speedy resolution or are doing this just to limit the incoming calls.

I booked a flight for Sept yesterday with Westjet on their new 787 and it turns out also has a 737 Max 8 as part of the itinerary. I’ll be watching.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Chrispee

TUG Member
Reaction score
My flight to LIH is on Westjet so hopefully their schedule scrambling doesn't affect me even though I'm on a 737-800. My thought is they'll have a fix in place by the end of next week, but perhaps I'm being overly optimistic! At least it won't be a huge bummer if I'm stuck on Kauai for a few extra days.

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
I saw a pilot today on CNBC that said the plane was at 800 ft. He was saying that at this height the pilot has time to react but not much. Any confusion could take up any margin for safety and was a tragedy waiting to happen. He was a former Boeing employee. Flew the 737 professionally and now writes for an aviation magazine. He seemed credible and while saying if it was the autopilot the pilot does have time to react it is not hard to believe that even a competent pilot could get confused enough to delay disengaging the autopilot.

The groundings today came from information that this accident was essentially the same as the last one being confirmed by satellite data. When two planes go down in the exact same way it seems prudent to me to check things out.

Last edited by a moderator:

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
My flight to LIH is on Westjet so hopefully their schedule scrambling doesn't affect me even though I'm on a 737-800. My thought is they'll have a fix in place by the end of next week, but perhaps I'm being overly optimistic! At least it won't be a huge bummer if I'm stuck on Kauai for a few extra days.
A 737-800 is not a Max 8.

Chrispee

TUG Member
Reaction score
A 737-800 is not a Max 8.

My flight to LIH is in a WestJet 737-800 so I’m only worried about equipment getting shuffled around for other cancelled flights. My return flight at the end of the month is on an Air Canada 737 Max 8.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Read her post again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
My flight to LIH is in a WestJet 737-800 so I’m only worried about equipment getting shuffled around for other cancelled flights. My return flight at the end of the month is on an Air Canada 737 Max 8.
Gotcha. Missed the nuance. I'm sure all airlines are scrambling to rearrange aircraft and schedules based upon demand etc. Good luck to you and all.