• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Cost to Buy Your Kid's Way Into The Best Universities

Bucky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Oceanwatch (2)
LOL. This is news? There was a saying I remember when I was young. Money talks and BS walks. Doesn’t surprise me in the least bit. Not condoning it by any means but these types of things have been going on for a very very long time.

How many rich politicians and others do you think have bought their children’s way into top notch institutions. Some have done it the sudo legal way by making large donations to the college of choice but others with not so high IQ’s by other means!

Last edited:

Brett

Reaction score
LOL. This is news? There was a saying I remember when I was young. Money talks and BS walks. Doesn’t surprise me in the least bit. Not condoning it by any means but these types of things have been going on for a very very long time.

How many rich politicians and others do you think have bought their children’s way into top notch institutions. Some have done it the sudo legal way by making large donations to the college of choice but others with not so high IQ’s by other means!

true but this looks (slightly) different than the rich parent's "legacy admissions"
"A donation is made to a college, while a bribe is paid to an employee who, in effect, is stealing an admissions slot, hawking it and pocketing the proceeds"
But the students had to know they were gaming the system with bogus athletic abilities and test-taking ringers

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
The parents involved aren’t teaching their children a very good life lesson.

And you wonder why some offspring of celebrities have a feeling of entitlement.

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
How about all those CEOs?
I totally agree. I just haven't heard many names of them yet. The list will be fascinating.
How can the kids get subs to take entrance exams for them? And change answers? Those are (should) be tightly controlled events, with ID for admission to the tests, which never leave secure hands? And to put the kids on rowing teams? While not a front end sport, it is brutal in training (I am reading 'Boys in the Boat' about the 1936 US Olympic team. I had no idea how tough that sport it).
The schools also have some responsibility. You let in an 'athlete' who then never participates? Where is the oversight? It should be higher than the coaches.
Many heads will roll before this is over.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
We paid outright for our son's college. (Grandparents helped a little also).

Just before his first semester we received an invitation to a semi formal cocktail/lawn party with the president of the university and other bigwigs being held on move in weekend.

Being wet behind the ears, we thought it was such a nice gesture for new parents and we happily attended. Well, it quickly became apparent to us that we were at an exclusive gathering of well to do people targeted for donations to the college coffers. EXCEPT- we were not really members of that class pf people. We were a couple of shlumps/working stiffs that saved money for college every year since our son was born. They probably thought because we were paying outright for our sons education that we were rolling in dough.

We quickly said our hellos and booted ourselves out of there pronto. Who knows what kind of bargaining went down at that party?

I might add- this was a PUBLIC university.

Last edited:

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Believe it or not deserving kids that work hard, have the rights grades, etc can get admitted to these schools.

I also know.......people that graduated from state colleges/universities. I am one.

The Canadian / Provincial fully accredited post secondary system is similar to the US state college / university system .

There is essentially no Canadian equivalent to Private College System .

SO GLAD .

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
I totally agree. I just haven't heard many names of them yet. The list will be fascinating.
I posted a link to the entire list.

How can the kids get subs to take entrance exams for them? And change answers? Those are (should) be tightly controlled events, with ID for admission to the tests, which never leave secure hands?
They gamed the system by becoming a "boutique" testing center where they would proctor a small number of students who were their clients.

The schools also have some responsibility. You let in an 'athlete' who then never participates? Where is the oversight? It should be higher than the coaches.
Many heads will roll before this is over.
Sadly, probably not. There will be some dismissals, but the underlying system will remain. If it's not football, basketball, baseball or track and field, the alums don't care and will want to sweep it under the rug as fast as possible.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
The Canadian / Provincial fully accredited post secondary system is similar to the US state college / university system .

There is essentially no Canadian equivalent to Private College System .

SO GLAD .

I added to my post above- my experience was at a PUBLIC university.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
The parents involved aren’t teaching their children a very good life lesson.

And you wonder why some offspring of celebrities have a feeling of entitlement.
The entitlement comes with the money. It's about time that their bubble is burst.

On the other hand, it was weird to see my university on the list. When I applied, my application was a late one (March) due to a change in plans and I was accepted within a week with average test scores and an above average GPA. Times have certainly changed!

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Here is the list of all the players with the associated charges

The parents are just being charged with:
Conspiracy to commit mail fraud and honest services mail fraud

Reading the Affidavit, it appears that three of the ringleaders turned State's witness and they have wiretaps of the transactions.

Reading up on honest services mail fraud, the Supreme Court ruled unanimously in the cases of Black and Skilling that the law against "honest services" fraud is too vague to constitute a crime unless a bribe or kickback was involved.

These people have enough money, that it is going to be a tooth and nail fight, probably to the Supreme Court again.

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
These kids never deserved to be admitted on athletic ability or in some cases academic ability. All administrators/admissions counselors/coaches "on the take" should be immediately dismissed!:mad: Expel the kids also!

The Stanford (one of my schools) Sailing program Coach was fired as soon as he was identified as a participant and pleaded guilty. The kids never actually enrolled. AFAIK, other Universities have placed named individuals on administrative leave.

Cheers

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Expel the kids also!
While between you and I, I suspect the kids knew something was up, they should be given the opportunity to retake the test(s) under controlled conditions to continue their enrollment.

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
While between you and I, I suspect the kids knew something was up, they should be given the opportunity to retake the test(s) under controlled conditions to continue their enrollment.

Some did take the tests under “controlled conditions”. Trouble was the controllers were corrupt and in some cases changed the answers to correct ones after the kids left. I agree they should be allowed a second chance.

Never did understand the wild pressure to get into “prestigious universities”. I graduated from both a State University and a “prestigious university “ and didn’t notice much difference in my learning. I did notice a slightly higher quantity of jerks at the “prestigious university”:cool:

Cheers

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
The guy running this scheme didn't even do his homework because the info supplied to the coaches was blatantly wrong. The coaches must have thought they wouldn't be questioned because they didn't even try to cover up the lie. For example, for the USC rowing admissions the girls were identified as coxswains and they sent photos of the girls working out on an ERG (rowing machine). Rowers use the ERG. Not coxswains because they don't row! (Coxswains send tapes of themselves calling during races.) A coach would instantly know that!

They probably listed them as coxswains because the actresses daughters weren't tall and big enough to be credible rowers (most colleges want taller than 5'9" but prefer 6" women with thick muscular legs to pull the oar similar to a horizontal deadweight lift.) For coxswains, if they weighed more than 115 lbs and taller than 5'2" that would be suspect as well. If they didn't fit those parameters, then they would be like the short volleyball or basketball superstar player with a long track record of high school awards - which these girls didn't have.

What is sad is that there were many hardworking high school coxswains vying to get recruited - these rich girls stole these coxswain's dreams by taking recruiting admissions slots and distracting the coach from his core job. Good or bad, they forever altered the future for these coxswains because they were never given this opportunity and ended up at other schools.

Last edited:

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The entitlement comes with the money. It's about time that their bubble is burst.

On the other hand, it was weird to see my university on the list. When I applied, my application was a late one (March) due to a change in plans and I was accepted within a week with average test scores and an above average GPA. Times have certainly changed!
Maybe your parents slipped in some money. :p (Dodge!)

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't know any of the other people, and their occupations are not listed. But this could hurt some people's careers. Who would trust them?
I don't watch TV and don't know any of the people, actresses etc etc. They sure know how to smile in front of a camera. Would love to see their mug shots.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Seems like the need for a class action lawsuit for applicants who did not get accepted.

wilma

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Red Wolf Lakeside Lodge, Hanalei Bay Resort, Sweetbriar Lake tahoe, Marriott Canyon Villas, Hyatt High Sierra, Point at Poipu
I went to one of the “elite” California universities now involved in the scandal. I was 17 and so surprised to run into rich kids who got in either as a legacy student or a large payoff by their parents. They were often the dumbest kids in class and sometimes caught cheating in the competetive science classes. I had never met such entitled jerks in my life and was very disillusioning. As a result, i was not at all surprised to read of this current FBI case, the rich usually make their own rules.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
How about all those CEOs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hedge fund CEO embroiled in college bribery scandal steps down after stocks plunged when he was charged with paying someone to help his two 'gloating' daughters cheat on their SATs and bribing Georgetown's tennis coach to recruit one of them
  • Manuel Henriquez, 55, will be replaced as CEO and chairman of Hercules Capital in Palo Alto, California
  • He was arrested in New York and released on $500,000 bail on Tuesday
  • Henriquez and his wife Elizabeth, 56, are accused of participating in the college entrance exam cheating scheme on four separate occasions for their daughters
  • They also allegedly bribed the Georgetown University tennis coach to designate their older daughter, Isabelle, as a tennis recruit
  • They allegedly paid for someone to sit next to their eldest, Isabelle, and give her the correct answers for her SATs, which she later gloating about
By EMILY CRANE FOR DAILYMAIL.COM

PUBLISHED: 10:50 EDT, 13 March 2019 | UPDATED: 13:16 EDT, 13 March 2019
The head of a Silicon Valley hedge fund who became embroiled in the massive college bribery scandal by helping his two daughters cheat and bribing a Georgetown University tennis coach has stepped down.

Manuel Henriquez, 55, will be replaced as CEO and chairman of Hercules Capital in Palo Alto, California after he was charged for his involvement in the plot to help wealthy Americans cheat their children's way into universities.

Henriquez was arrested in New York City and released on $500,000 bail after a brief appearance in Manhattan federal court Tuesday.

Shares of the hedge fund plunged 9 percent on word of Henriquez' arrest on Tuesday.

Hercules said Wednesday that Henriquez will still hold a seat on the board and will serve as an adviser.

10936054-6804325-Manuel_Henriquez_55_will_be_replaced_as_CEO_and_chairman_of_Herc-m-2_1552487970358.jpg

Manuel Henriquez, 55, will be replaced as CEO and chairman of Hercules Capital in Palo Alto, California after he was charged for his involvement in the plot to help wealthy Americans cheat their children's way into universities

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is news? Really? These "elite" universities have been more about credentialing and networking than academics for decades now. Their alum take care of their own. Ultimately, in that regard it might be a decent investment to pay to get your kid into one, but then again, the kids probably don't need to get real jobs anyway.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
On a deeper level, this is a message to those kids that they are not good enough. They will remember it for the rest of their lives. They weren't good enough to get into said college. Parenting fail.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
On a deeper level, this is a message to those kids that they are not good enough. They will remember it for the rest of their lives. They weren't good enough to get into said college. Parenting fail.
Exactly. A fail on so many levels. I feel a bit sorry for the kids that didn't know what their parents did and thought that they got in on their own.

Btw, although this isn't news (believe me, if you go to a private university you see a lot of kids attending that have familiar last names) but when you facilitate cheating on admissions tests, and committing tax fraud by funneling money through a nonprofit, then it has risen to a whole new level.