• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Cost to Buy Your Kid's Way Into The Best Universities

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think it is interesting that if you give money to the school it is ok. Give it to an individual and it is a crime. You just have to be careful where you place your bribe.

In the words of the late George and Ira Gershwin

You say eether and I say eyether,
You say neether and I say nyther;
Eether, eyether, neether, nyther,

You like potato and I like potahto,
You like tomato and I like tomahto;
Potato, potahto, tomato, tomahto!

:rolleyes:

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
The plot thickens. You just can't make this stuff up! LoL

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ials-yacht-college-bribery-scandal-broke.html

Lori Loughlin's daughter was aboard a yacht owned by the USC Board of Trustees Chairman when the college bribery scandal broke - and has now returned home to face possible expulsion
  • Olivia Jade was enjoying spring break on a yacht owned by Rick Caruso, chairman of USC's Board of Trustees, when news of her mom's indictment broke
  • Caruso told TMZ Olivia got off the boat and has gone home to Los Angeles
  • Olivia's future at USC is uncertain as officials review the applications of each student implicated in the alleged college admissions bribery scheme
  • Lori Loughlin surrendered to federal authorities in Los Angeles on Wednesday
  • She and her husband Mossimo Giannulli are accused of bribing college officials and coaches with $500,000 to get their daughters into USC
  • Prosecutors say they lied and said the girls both rowed crew to get them in as recruits for the rowing team
  • They face five years behind bars if convicted of felony conspiracy to commit mail fraud
upload_2019-3-14_7-58-32.png

Last edited:

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
On a deeper level, this is a message to those kids that they are not good enough. They will remember it for the rest of their lives. They weren't good enough to get into said college. Parenting fail.
I am sure they were in on it as well. Probably happy about it. No sympathy for them in that regards.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
What I don't understand is the obsessiveness in wanting to get into "elite" Universities. I attended 9 (that's not a misprint) Universities before I finally graduated. None were in the elite category (I graduated from Southern Illinois University) and trust me, I did very well in the business world without connections or a fancy diploma...

George

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
What I don't understand is the obsessiveness in wanting to get into "elite" Universities. I attended 9 (that's not a misprint) Universities before I finally graduated. None were in the elite category (I graduated from Southern Illinois University) and trust me, I did very well in the business world without connections or a fancy diploma...
That is great it worked out for you, but if you do any amount of research you will find that graduating from an elite school does translate into higher income, both in starting salaries and overall career, compared to a degree from the average college.

Kurt

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
There is an element of competitiveness, camaraderie, and rigor that you don't find at the other schools. It's a bit like the bond for those who go through seal training or boot camp together - a right of passage. Once you are in, you become part of an elite "club."

The Elite culture operates by the rule, "It's not what you know, it's who you know." Their alumni groups have networking down to perfection and make it easy for people to connect. The schools benefit from alumni donations so it is a virtuous cycle.

While this "club" culture has always played big on the East Coast in traditional business. This is becoming less important to younger millennials and has been less important on the West Coast.

There are also certain industries where you need a degree from a certain universities to succeed. Examples include venture capital and Wall Street investment banking.

Last edited:

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would love for all these rich brats get kicked out of university for fraudulently being admitted.

I love it, couldn't say it any better. Just imagine the quality kids who actually wanted to go there and did not get in due to the slots being filled. Maybe some of the sports teams will get in trouble with the NCAA.

I must say, it's sadly not surprising at all.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Exactly. A fail on so many levels. I feel a bit sorry for the kids that didn't know what their parents did and thought that they got in on their own.

Btw, although this isn't news (believe me, if you go to a private university you see a lot of kids attending that have familiar last names) but when you facilitate cheating on admissions tests, and committing tax fraud by funneling money through a nonprofit, then it has risen to a whole new level.
These kids all knew. Someone sitting next to them during SATs to help them with the answers? C'mon!

Last edited:

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
These kids all knew. Someone sitting next to them during SATs to help them with answering? C'mon!

Of course they knew. It's possible there is one who may not have known (obviously not your example), doubt it though. And these are the same people often quoted in media telling us how we should do this or that, think this or that, great example guys. Money does what money does. It's a big lure. More often than not, it's a problem. We see this over and over in Hollywood, in Sports, Politics, etc. And if it isn't the person themselves, someone else robs them of it (advisors, money managers, etc.).

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
In some cases there was more to be gained than just an education. For Lori Loughlin's daughter, it is reported that she was following the Kardashian business model and was benefiting from advertising sponsorships via her social media account.

Her USC dorm room was outfitted by a retailer and she showcased it on social media - profiting from the USC relationship. She wouldn't be the first entrepreneur to make money in her dorm room. Michael Dell famously started his mail order computer business out of his dorm room at UT. The difference is that she is profiting from the USC brand - a brand association she did not earn.

Now I understand why some people refer to USC as "University of Spoiled Children."

Last edited:

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
These kids all knew. Someone sitting next to them during SATs to help them with the answers? C'mon!
In the article that I read one of the moms was recorded on the phone saying that her son didn't know and she wanted to keep it that way. (It's the woman who owns KFMB in San Diego). I'm sure that some of these kids didn't know. I'm sure that others did know. It's all very messy. Life is much easier if you keep your nose clean, that's for sure.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ials-yacht-college-bribery-scandal-broke.html

Lori Loughlin's daughter was aboard a yacht owned by the USC Board of Trustees Chairman when the college bribery scandal broke - and has now returned home to face possible expulsion
  • Olivia Jade was enjoying spring break on a yacht owned by Rick Caruso, chairman of USC's Board of Trustees, when news of her mom's indictment broke
  • Caruso told TMZ Olivia got off the boat and has gone home to Los Angeles
  • Olivia's future at USC is uncertain as officials review the applications of each student implicated in the alleged college admissions bribery scheme
  • Lori Loughlin surrendered to federal authorities in Los Angeles on Wednesday
  • She and her husband Mossimo Giannulli are accused of bribing college officials and coaches with $500,000 to get their daughters into USC
  • Prosecutors say they lied and said the girls both rowed crew to get them in as recruits for the rowing team
  • They face five years behind bars if convicted of felony conspiracy to commit mail fraud
View attachment 10831

Wow, this story just keeps getting worse and worse..

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That is great it worked out for you, but if you do any amount of research you will find that graduating from an elite school does translate into higher income, both in starting salaries and overall career, compared to a degree from the average college.

Kurt

I will add that at least here in Silicon Valley, some of the big name tech companies, Google, Facebook, etc. get so many job applicants that having an big name university on your resume and help you stand out. When a company gets 5000 applications for a position, they really need ways to screen and filter applicants.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
I remember many years ago when my son did a 3 day visit at USC they were pretty open about saying if you wanted to live and work in California you got a huge leg up by graduating from USC.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Lori Loughlin's daughter was aboard a yacht owned by the USC Board of Trustees Chairman
  • She and her husband Mossimo Giannulli are accused of bribing college officials and coaches with $500,000 to get their daughters into .......
View attachment 10831

Remember the 1990’s joke - God invented cocaine in order to tell people they had too much money-

SAME THING

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
When a company gets 5000 applications for a position, they really need ways to screen and filter applicants.

Going forward - they may have to find a "filter 'system that does not revolve around entitlement SCAMS .

Bad for their image as a company .

Last edited:

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I will add that at least here in Silicon Valley, some of the big name tech companies, Google, Facebook, etc. get so many job applicants that having an big name university on your resume and help you stand out. When a company gets 5000 applications for a position, they really need ways to screen and filter applicants.
And then there are those who can get the jobs based on ability. My son in law, without a college degree, got a very good job at Google.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
I always thought USC let anyone in, so long as you agreed to pay the exorbitant tuition. Never needed particularly high grades/SAT. The old joke was University of Spoiled Children. I guess that part hasn't changed. :D

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
When we looked for universities for my son, we had zero interest with USC simply because of the reputation of it being for spoilt rich brats. That impression has not changed for us through the years. This scandal just reinforces it.

No offence to TUGers who attended USC. :)

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Animal Kingdom

Kurt
We don't have to look further than Mark Riddell, Harvard grad, tennis player, who took the SAT tests for these rich brats.:mad: What a joke! Was it pure greed or was Ridell not able to earn a good living with his "Harvard" degree? Our family was never about the "bumper" sticker. Proud to say our older son graduated from a very highly rated state school and has had a very successful career; he is 31, lives and works in NYC, and probably is in the top 75% of people his age for earnings. MOST IMPORTANTLY he is not a rich overindulged kid who didn't work hard for anything.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
With their parents facing prison and soon drummed out of college w/o a degree, Loughlin's kids may find that their silly, rich brat act isn't working anymore. They may have to earn their keep by getting an actual job waiting tables at the local deli. But more likely, they'll just get married and retire.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
And then there are those who can get the jobs based on ability. My son in law, without a college degree, got a very good job at Google.

I did not mean to imply that the only way to get hired at Google or any tech company is to have an Elite degree, its just one screening method. I am sure there was something on your son's resume that caught the recruiters attention.. Then after the conversation gets started your son did a good job selling his skills and capabilities.

Personally, i dropped out of junior college to go to work for a start-up. When that business failed I moved up to bigger and better funded start-up. Eventually I moved up to a large software company. Twenty years later I am still here. I did finally finish my bachelors and get an MBA from University of Phoenix, which is certainly not an elite school.....

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score

I can't argue with your stats as I don't know. It seems logical to me that a degree from an elite school will give one an advantage when first starting out. But I wonder how valuable it is as one moves through his/her career. What I do know is that when I hired people for high level positions I didn't give a rat's ass where they got their degree. All I wanted to know is how they performed during their work career. For example one of the best hires I ever made was for a high level Marketing position. The guy I hired had only a HS diploma and 3 years as a factory worker at Granite City Steel before working his way up in sales. No college degree at all but he had performed at every stop along the way...

George

Brett

Reaction score
I can't argue with your stats as I don't know. It seems logical to me that a degree from an elite school will give one an advantage when first starting out. But I wonder how valuable it is as one moves through his/her career. What I do know is that when I hired people for high level positions I didn't give a rat's ass where they got their degree. All I wanted to know is how they performed during their work career. For example one of the best hires I ever made was for a high level Marketing position. The guy I hired had only a HS diploma and 3 years as a factory worker at Granite City Steel before working his way up in sales. No college degree at all but he had performed at every stop along the way...
George

there are many smart and talented people that succeed despite not having a college degree. Like you I can think of some personal examples and when I hired people I evaluated work performance but I also looked at the applicant's college on their resume (for outside new hires). Sure it may not matter much but there are differences. An extreme example may be between say, someone with an engineering degree from Phoenix Online (ECPI) vs someone with an engineering degree from MIT or Stanford