• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Anticipation of upcoming trips

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Ok, I'll admit it, I'm all about instant gratification. Maybe that's why I like shopping with Amazon Prime. Find it, one click to order it, and a day or two later, it's on my front porch. I love technology, and how spoiled by it I am.

With timesharing, it's a frequent frustration. After years of being a Weeks owner, where the only time available was the reserved time based on the week owned, or the exchange it got me, I kind of got used to the waiting game. Didn't like it much, but I kind of got used to it. Once that Week had been used, it was Game Over until the next time the Week was available. I did it that way for years. Then I sold my Weeks, and bought WorldMark.

What a game changer. WorldMark has allowed me to book short stays, multiple locations in a given year, and even back to back stays, all as easily as finding the unit, figuring out the dates and unit size, and booking it. Instant enough gratification, if the time till that trip is short.

But when I find someplace special, or hard to book in WorldMark, I have to book at the earliest opportunity, which most often is 13 months out. I did that with a trip coming up in May to the WorldMark in New Orleans. It's been booked since April of last year. Seems like forEVER.

I'm excited to go, I want to enjoy the heck out of the time away, but it's still two months off. The calendar is pointing back at me and laughing right now. I am so tired of Winter, I'm so bored at work, and I am SO READY to go on this trip! The wait is killing me.

I've done the research on where and how we'll enjoy New Orleans for that week. I've already booked the trip after that one. Two trips, actually. And I have my eye on where I want to go next year. But none of that helps me right now, when every day seems like it's a week long. My empty suitcase is begging me to fill it up, but even for me, it's too soon. I'm climbing the walls here. :)

How do you folks handle the anticipation? I can't be the only one. Help me out here. :D

Dave

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I always keep busy preparing...looking for deals, what to do etc., so the anticipation isn't hard. For me the hard part is when I return and haven't decided where to go next.

It's knid of like Christmas...you spend months getting ready...then bam its over..and then the let down.

heathpack

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
I fill up my time with dachshund sports and bike racing. Time flies between timeshare vacations.

Maybe you need to take the boys ratting....

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
I plan but am prepared to change plans should a good deal walk up. I don't know but at have found some mythical airfares in the last year. I found a 1 way fare IAH to KOA for $125, last week I found a $263 round trip fare to Fiji. So I guess I am going to Fiji.

I paid airfare on UR points, Tradewinds had a week open that I grabbed as a member, I am hoping the Worldmark in Fiji opens up for the days I need after my Tradewinds sail, but I have a hotel booked as a back up plan (on points). So far my only out of pocket is the cost to upgrade to economy plus seating. NOT bad for a trip to Fiji. Was planning on going in 2020 but I guess 2019 is looking better. Now to plan a 2020 trip.

I have Wyndham for my short term travel fixes, and then use Tradewinds and Hilton for longer term planning.

@DaveNW make sure you go to the WWII museum in NOLA.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
For weeks after booking a destination, I research the hell out of it.
I'll look at a calendar of local events, check it out on TripAdvisor,
read reviews of restaurants, print views from Google Earth, and
double-check my flights+seats to see if the airline changed 'em.

When we return, it's not a let down; it's time to start researching
my next another destination.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Our last vacation was in September on an exchange I made the year before, but we had also our fixed week vacations in July/August and also did a HOMEAWAY rental last June. And we did have a couple of days up in NH for XMAS.

If I was still working I would be going crazy by now. We usually would have something booked- rental or whatever- for sometime after Memorial Day, because our last day off would have been January 1st. (We don't take winter vacations for the most part and would save up our PTO days for later in the year).

Anyway, this year we have nothing planned for spring and have to wait until our July/August timeshare vacations. (OK-we might go up to NH for a couple of days to look at a CCRC and other real estate, but that is about it and that is not even planned yet).

In January, 2018, I booked a resort outside of ZION NP for this Sept. for a whole week. I spent the last year or so researching and getting feedback from TUGGERS. Ordered and read my travel guide, etc. I have been checking airfares and soon will be booking the flights and rental car and car service and travel insurance.

That trip is consuming me and taking away from the planning I should be doing for our timeshare vacations.In addition to the summer weeks, we also have Thanksgiving week for our other timeshare week this year.

So everything is scheduled for the second half of the year. I guess maybe that is good because we do have things to do around the house- nothing major- but it all takes time, including my usual spring cleaning. UGH. Everything is work- home and job- we have no social life whatsoever.

Even though I am not working, I still feel I am ready for a change of scenery. I guess that is cabin fever. But- we are having somewhat of a heat wave here now and spring is in the air so I feel a little better.

I do get anxious to get going. I suppose I should meditate. I do exercise and Saturday is my wine day and I use that to relax and dream.

And for next year- other than our fixed week timeshares in summer and the deeded float week pre-assigned for the fall-- I am not going to be doing any other travel planning because we are going to attempt to put our home up for sale and get ready to move- somewhere out there- IF it sells. In fact, I am anticipating no extra vacations outside of our timeshare weeks for a few years after this one when/if we move- and I hope we will be able to at least do those. I dread the whole thing. It's exciting but stressful at the same time. If it all works out, I guess being in a new location will feel like we are away for awhile.

I think the best thing- the only thing- you can do is keep busy. Try to get out a bit - maybe if you have friends, visit them- go out to dinner, visit a local attraction, etc. Break up the monotony as much as you can. Or maybe even do a long weekend somewhere not far from your home. Buy a book on Louisiana and New Orleans and read about it. I love reading travel books for specific destinations we are going to, like the insight Discovery Guides.

Honestly- May is not too far away. But I do know how you feel- every day feels like a week when you are working and when you are bored and in a rut. Just feels like forever and a day! Hang in there. You will make it!

Last edited:

hjsweet2002

TUG Member
Reaction score
Going through vacation withdrawals now. Was in Williamsburg for Feb break now waiting for April break to go to Smoky Mountains. We have travel plans for May at Bentley Brook, Maine in June for Geandaughters graduation, July-Nashville, Labor Day Weekend at the Inn on Long Wharf, withdrawal during September/October, Veterans Day Weekend at Bentley Brook, Thanksgiving and Christmas at Bentley Brook, and last week if December at the Inn on Long Wharf. Then withdrawal again.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
We constantly plan 11 to 13 months out. So it is part of our routine. Plan it, schedule it, forget about it until it is close in time. I just got done planning our 3 week trip down under for February 2020 - two weeks in Hobart, Tasmania, Australia, and 1 week in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia. In a few months I will start looking at airfare.

We did recently plan a quick trip for us. A trip to Las Vegas in July to House Hunt in Boulder City and Henderson. Mesquite is just too darn hot.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Ohhh, your not the only one Dave. :)

We have 49 days for our next trip and like you said it doesn’t come fast enough. This winter hasn’t helped. I really think leaving Mid-January didn’t help us this year.

We do the same as most of the others, always planning the second one. We just got done planning and booking our Labor Day week trip. Free flights with miles is always great and we got cheap upgrades too. We usually always plan one while we are on vacation.

2020 looks like we’re going back to late February for two weeks then May or June or maybe even September.

We are spending time on what we want to get for our condo, even if it’s way out toward retirement. I would think you could spend some time preparing for your move and retirement. Downsizing takes time. :thumbup:

Last edited:

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
How do you folks handle the anticipation? I can't be the only one. Help me out here. :D

Dave

You not alone Dave. All you need is more weeks or points or whatever you have, or getaways. We have 79 days scheduled thus far this year, so, when you get enough days scheduled:

1. It's shorter time between trips
2. There is always something to plan
3. As a bonus, if you add international trips, there is even more to plan with cell phone access, visas, whatever

:D

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
I try to book winter trips to warm places as soon as the booking window opens. We have two weeks Maui, two weeks Cabo, three weeks Nuevo Vallarta and next week we will pick up another week or two. Airfare and car rental has increased especially in regards to Maui.

Heading out this April to Arizona, Death Valley and Genoa. Heading to Lake Chelan in May. Heading to the Oregon Coast in August. Leavenworth is my wifes trip with the girls. There are two of these short trips planned.

It is really odd for me to be retired. I'm still not used to it. Sleeping in and going places is the new normal. In another couple of weeks the snow should be finally gone so our hiking trails will open up.

Bill

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I think what I’m seeing from everyone is that work is getting in the way of my time off. :)

I need to win the lottery. I suppose I should buy a ticket... :D

Dave

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
I think what I’m seeing from everyone is that work is getting in the way of my time off. :)

Dave

Enjoy every one of these remaining working days. When they are gone you might miss them a bit. I know I do. Goofing off can be alot of work, lol.

Bill

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, we did one exchange vaca in November, then one with an added VRBO in Mexico in January. But I came home pretty seriously sick, and really unable to go away from the medicos or to fly, so my wings have been clipped.

Went to the doc yesterday, asked if it was OK to travel, and was told to get with it. We don't know for how long, so the search is on. Problem is lack of timeshare availability on short notice. We might have to book a last minute cruise or something.

Jim

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
...snip...
But when I find someplace special, or hard to book in WorldMark, I have to book at the earliest opportunity, which most often is 13 months out. I did that with a trip coming up in May to the WorldMark in New Orleans. It's been booked since April of last year. Seems like forEVER.
...snip...
Dave

Not going on the cruise after the week in NO?

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook

Dave

That was always my motto. "Work gets in the way of my life". Or- "I have no time to work."

Except, right now, even though I am not working, I still have no life. Now I just work every day managing the home front while my husband works his paid job. I still am waiting for the fun to begin. I don't feel retired at all. But still happy not to be in the grind and with the psycho management. But not happy without the income and no people interaction except on social media and an occasional phone call.

One thing I just started doing is I buy one scratch off just once per month. I never, EVER bought any lottery tickets in my life except if my coworkers were going in on Mega Millions or Power Ball. I didn't want to get left out if they won! LOL!

But I decided to just spend $2 per month for like those ones where you can win $1000 per week for life or whatever.

My husband says why not go for the big ones? Well-I am too cheap to spend $10 or $20 per month and besides, I am not greedy. I would be oh so happy to win $1000 per week for life. That could be my pension I don't have now. Would be sweet....

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Not going on the cruise after the week in NO?

Yes we are. And stopping for three nights in Southern Utah on the way home. But all of it is not soon enough for impatient me.

Dave

MrockStar

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Going through vacation withdrawals now. Was in Williamsburg for Feb break now waiting for April break to go to Smoky Mountains. We have travel plans for May at Bentley Brook, Maine in June for Geandaughters graduation, July-Nashville, Labor Day Weekend at the Inn on Long Wharf, withdrawal during September/October, Veterans Day Weekend at Bentley Brook, Thanksgiving and Christmas at Bentley Brook, and last week if December at the Inn on Long Wharf. Then withdrawal again.
Ok, I'll admit it, I'm all about instant gratification. Maybe that's why I like shopping with Amazon Prime. Find it, one click to order it, and a day or two later, it's on my front porch. I love technology, and how spoiled by it I am.

With timesharing, it's a frequent frustration. After years of being a Weeks owner, where the only time available was the reserved time based on the week owned, or the exchange it got me, I kind of got used to the waiting game. Didn't like it much, but I kind of got used to it. Once that Week had been used, it was Game Over until the next time the Week was available. I did it that way for years. Then I sold my Weeks, and bought WorldMark.

What a game changer. WorldMark has allowed me to book short stays, multiple locations in a given year, and even back to back stays, all as easily as finding the unit, figuring out the dates and unit size, and booking it. Instant enough gratification, if the time till that trip is short.

I'm excited to go, I want to enjoy the heck out of the time away, but it's still two months off. The calendar is pointing back at me and laughing right now. I am so tired of Winter, I'm so bored at work, and I am SO READY to go on this trip! The wait is killing me.

I've done the research on where and how we'll enjoy New Orleans for that week. I've already booked the trip after that one. Two trips, actually. And I have my eye on where I want to go next year. But none of that helps me right now, when every day seems like it's a week long. My empty suitcase is begging me to fill it up, but even for me, it's too soon. I'm climbing the walls here. :)

Dave
We try to plan a weeks vacation every quarter, my wife is a high school teacher so vacations revolve around her school calendar "UGGH". Luckily we are time share points owners with premier benefits "waitlist", so I try to plan 15 months out and hope the magic happens. Most times it does so, 4 to 5 weeks vacations are spread out all year and its only about 12 weeks wait until the next one. the hardest time is fall so we try to plan a long 3 or 4 day weekend up north in Michigan. Love fall colors. Like others said I research places that are new and that helps. We also try to bring friends or family and that makes it more fun. I just try to get outside and do something enjoyable: bike riding, walking or kayaking and that really helps..

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes we are. And stopping for three nights in Southern Utah on the way home. But all of it is not soon enough for impatient me.
Are you driving?

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Are you driving?

Nope. We were going to fly back from New Orleans to Seattle, but decided to divert through Las Vegas so we can stay at the WorldMark in St. George, Utah for three nights. Sssh! Don't tell anyone, but we're seriously considering moving to Mesquite, Nevada when we retire. We wanted to take a few days and check out the area. So far, it's the only place we've considered that hasn't had a deal breaker. Will be interesting. :)

Dave

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Nope. We were going to fly back from New Orleans to Seattle, but decided to divert through Las Vegas so we can stay at the WorldMark in St. George, Utah for three nights. Sssh! Don't tell anyone, but we're seriously considering moving to Mesquite, Nevada when we retire. We wanted to take a few days and check out the area. So far, it's the only place we've considered that hasn't had a deal breaker. Will be interesting. :)

Dave
Your secret is safe with me. I wouldn't tell hardly anyone. Not enough THERE there for me, and I'm surprise that an ol' Navy hand would not want some semi-serious water around, but it's your retirement.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Your secret is safe with me. I wouldn't tell hardly anyone. Not enough THERE there for me, and I'm surprise that an ol' Navy hand would not want some semi-serious water around, but it's your retirement.

You make a good point. It's all a very long story, and there are a hundred and one things to consider. Combination of smaller town (that's crucial for us), good weather, better tax situation than any of the states around it, semi-affordable new/newer housing, location drivably near places we enjoy visiting, and central to family/friends in Arizona, Southern California, and the Bay Area. Oh yeah - and Costco is a half hour away. Having the ocean nearby is a thing, certainly, but we go to Hawaii enough that I think I'll manage. And there is family all up and down the West Coast we'll be visiting. Nothing is firm yet - it's all speculation until we spend a few days with boots on the ground and see/feel the area in person. We've driven through there probably a dozen times, but we've never spent any time there. This will be a chance to do that. So we'll see. :)

Dave

hjsweet2002

TUG Member
Reaction score
We try to plan a weeks vacation every quarter, my wife is a high school teacher so vacations revolve around her school calendar "UGGH". Luckily we are time share points owners with premier benefits "waitlist", so I try to plan 15 months out and hope the magic happens. Most times it does so, 4 to 5 weeks vacations are spread out all year and its only about 12 weeks wait until the next one. the hardest time is fall so we try to plan a long 3 or 4 day weekend up north in Michigan. Love fall colors. Like others said I research places that are new and that helps. We also try to bring friends or family and that makes it more fun. I just try to get outside and do something enjoyable: bike riding, walking or kayaking and that really helps..
My wife is a school teacher too. Always planning around school vacations.

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
Hi there Dave (and everyone else)!

I too love to plan . . . but also just want to be away, enjoying even when it's a repeat destination.

I get through the anxiousness of the wait, but doing more (and more) planning and research about where we're going. I love to see photos and read about the trips done by others, in anticipation of my own personal experience. I also think this is why I also enjoy sharing my trips with others, in hopes of inspiring folks to consider a similar adventure.