• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Heading to St Maarten in April

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Quarter House, a handful of East Coast beach resorts
Our last visit was in 2014. We rented a car and did self-guided tours of the island... we found plenty to keep us busy.

This visit we're considering a day trip to either Anguilla or St Barts. There are 4 of us traveling. Any recent experiences to share? Were those islands hit hard by Irma in 2017? If so, have they recovered?

I'm looking at the Anguilla Prickly Pear Day Trip by Catamaran. It's $120 per person... it includes an open bar and snacks on board, snorkel gear and lunch in Anguilla. Or... we could take the ferry, which is about half the cost... and just do our own thing when we get there. I've never done a Catamaran so I'm kinda leaning towards that... it just sounds like a better experience. Thoughts?

How about the day trip to St Barts by ferry from Simpson Bay?

Any other recommendations?

stmartinfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Little Bay, St. Maarten
We've done catamaran trips to Prickly Pear and Anguilla several times, although the ones we've done usually just visit one place. Both have lovely beaches, although there's not much to see snorkeling. We always think it’s a fun way to spend a day, combining the beach time with the boat trip. Most of the crews are fun and go out of their way to provide good service. We have not done the ferry so can't provide a comparison, but I understand it's easy to get a taxi at the ferry dock to take you to one of the great beaches.

Haven't done St Bart’s either. I get seasick and have heard that ride is much rougher.

Laurie

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Any other recommendations?
When in April are you going? Carnival starts April 22 and lasts about 2 weeks: great concerts almost every night, parades and festivities many of the days, etc. We managed to see a lot of it during our St. Maarten stay a few years ago. Maybe you'll be lucky too.

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
When in April are you going? Carnival starts April 22 and lasts about 2 weeks: great concerts almost every night, parades and festivities many of the days, etc. We managed to see a lot of it during our St. Maarten stay a few years ago. Maybe you'll be lucky too.
I just learned yesterday that carnival starts late April. We'll be there the 2nd week of April... I'll have to plan better next time!

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We've done catamaran trips to Prickly Pear and Anguilla several times, although the ones we've done usually just visit one place. Both have lovely beaches, although there's not much to see snorkeling. We always think it’s a fun way to spend a day, combining the beach time with the boat trip. Most of the crews are fun and go out of their way to provide good service. We have not done the ferry so can't provide a comparison, but I understand it's easy to get a taxi at the ferry dock to take you to one of the great beaches.

Haven't done St Bart’s either. I get seasick and have heard that ride is much rougher.
Great info, I had a chat with the group... we'll definitely do the Catamaran. Thanks for the info!

I also read that the trip to St Barts is a rough and bumpy one.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
Just paid our first day visit to Sint Maarten/St Martin off a cruise ship. So many have told me it is their favorite Caribbean island. We were so disappointed! Yes, it is badly damaged from the hurricane but even the views of beaches, etc., just weren't that great. I don't get it! What is it that makes it special to so many?

stmartinfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Little Bay, St. Maarten
Just paid our first day visit to Sint Maarten/St Martin off a cruise ship. So many have told me it is their favorite Caribbean island. We were so disappointed! Yes, it is badly damaged from the hurricane but even the views of beaches, etc., just weren't that great. I don't get it! What is it that makes it special to so many?

Unfortunately I don't think cruisers get a chance to see the best of SXM. There are many wonderful beaches, most that you would never see unless you go off the main roads. Right now most cruisers are just using the beach by the cruise dock in Philipsburg, where I'd never spend any beach time, or another near one of the big timeshares on the Dutch side. There are many other beaches with amazing sand and blue water, often with beach bars that offer great lunches.

We also love the restaurants. Grand Case on the French side is considered one of the best places for dining in the Caribbean, but the Dutch side has a growing number of wonderful restaurants, too. I'm a foodie and have had really top notch meals on the island. It's also called the Friendly Island, and we find that so many people we meet live up to that description, which encourages return visitors.

Krteczech

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Towers at Mullet Bay, SXM
Silverado II, CO
St Maarten/ St Martin is my favorite Caribbean island as well. We visited first time some 14 years ago and I felt immediately “at home”. SXM has a lot to offer, but probably not during one day trip. We love the variety of beaches, and enjoy the food. We celebrated eleven Christmas holidays there. Unfortunately my TS has been damaged and repairs are not finished. My plan is to give my RTU back to the resort when we visit in November this year. Unless, of course, any TUGer wants week#51 for free.

RNCollins

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tradewinds, Divi, Quarter House, Casa Ybel
Im not sure if it’s kosher to post this but Sumday has available the same one bedroom unit available Weeks 19+20 in RCI Points.