• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What are some things you say that make you feel old?

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
@DrQ Of course! With the Minne-SO-ta accent. My DH spent his early years in Wayzata playing hockey after grade school on the ponds. Family later moved and now most live south of Minneapolis in surrounding towns. Oh ya, sure.

Last edited:
Reactions: DrQ

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
You are ancient if you have S & H Green Stamps and you have found a soda “pop” bottle vending machine.

linsj

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
Our relatives in Minnesota called soda "pop" (with a Minnesota accent.)

It's a Midwest thing. I was born & raised in Michigan, lived in Ohio and now Illinois. Pop is always called pop. I didn't know it had any other name until I was well out of college.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
It's a Midwest thing. I was born & raised in Michigan, lived in Ohio and now Illinois. Pop is always called pop. I didn't know it had any other name until I was well out of college.
Growing up in Chi-town the following were interchangeable:
  • Pop
  • Soda
  • Soda-pop
  • Coke
Soda was an older reference to soda shoppes (we had one in the neighborhood) that could custom mix drinks from syrups.

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House

Never ever heard of Soda until I started traveling out of the Midwest after graduating from college. It was always Pop.

Cheers

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Not so much something I say, but definitely something I remember:

As a grade school kid in Bellingham, Washington, in the early 60's, Saturday morning was something to look forward to - an event at the local movie theater. The Mt. Baker Theatre, (https://www.mountbakertheatre.com/Online/default.asp), which is still there and going strong, had a great thing for kids in those days. Old movies from the 40s and 50s, (cowboy shoot-em-ups, "outer space" science fiction, or a "monster" movie) were shown to a crowd of about 1000 kids. The place was packed every week. Our parents would drop us off, or we'd walk downtown in groups, to be there by the 9:00 start time. Admission to the movie was by presenting Darigold red diamond logos that were printed on milk cartons in those days. Darigold was a local dairy company, huge in the Pacific Northwest. They're also still around. (https://www.darigold.com/visual-history)

Every admission ticket got you into the door prize drawing. They'd stop the movie at certain times, and draw tickets to win prizes. Wooden paddle ball boards, yo-yos, cool camping flashlights, assorted other toys - it was all great stuff for kids. The "big" door prize every week was a brand new bicycle, usually a Schwinn, donated by a local bike store, (Times Bike Shop, which is no longer around.) The prizes changed every week, and nobody ever knew what would be given out that day. Everybody had a great time, and we drank a LOT of Darigold milk, to make sure we had red diamonds to get in next Saturday morning. (Brilliant marketing plan by Darigold.)

This was an incredible thing for kids to enjoy, and it bought our parents some free time to do other things without worrying about where the kids were. For three hours we were completely unsupervised, and filled with anticipation of the prizes we might win. With the atmosphere of helicopter parenting these days, this sort of thing could never happen today. But it is a memory my siblings and I will always treasure. :)

Dave

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
... They'd stop the movie at certain times, and draw tickets to win prizes. Wooden paddle ball boards, yo-yos, cool camping flashlights, assorted other toys - it was all great stuff for kids. The "big" door prize every week was a brand new bicycle, usually a Schwinn, donated by a local bike store, (Times Bike Shop, which is no longer around.) The prizes changed every week, and nobody ever knew what would be given out that day. Everybody had a great time, and we drank a LOT of Darigold milk, to make sure we had red diamonds to get in next Saturday morning. (Brilliant marketing plan by Darigold.)
If it was a "two reeler" and a small theater, that was the time they spent rewinding the first reel and setting up the second reel.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
The local movie theater in the county seat was sort of gutted down the middle .. to make an open air breeze way with shops of both sides. The shopping district in town was in decline due to that invention called the indoor MALL. Almost all those new stores are empty ... due to the internet?

The local drivein movie theater 3 miles away died a slow death ... but a new owner ( planned on building something), discovered unexploded ordinance on the property ... from when the Philadlephia Navy base had been testing their BIG guns. The Navy Base might not have been the ONLY 'actor' in this issue as the "New York Shipping Building Company" in Camden, NJ was just a few miles up the Delaware River also ... think Kitty Hawk aircraft carrier was built there plus MANY other ships over 100-150+ years of shipping building aircraft carriers, submarines, and smaller boat. That large plot of drivein movie land is fenced off and UNUSED. I wonder why? :rolleyes:

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
When I was about five years old, [late 1950s], I remember my Mom licking and sticking S&H Green Stamps into booklets. She had a pile of them, and had been saving for months. When she finally redeemed something like 100 booklets of stamps for her pursued gift item, (a big hammered aluminum kitchen soup pot with lid), she was thrilled. It was solid as can be, and was "built to last." She used that pot for the rest of her life, nearly 40 years, until she passed in 1996. My sister now has that pot, and it looks as good today as when it was new. S&H had some great stuff.

Dave

Growing up in the Los Angeles area we had Blue Chip stamps. I loved going into the redemption store with my mom once or twice a year. But I have absolutely no memory of anything she bought!

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
I asked my husband to check his calendar and he pulled out his phone. I thought, "wow! He's finally using a digital calendar." But no, he had taken a picture of his paper planner.

Great trick, I'll have to remember that! I'm still using the 2019 daily planner I bought in September before we decided to retire at the end of October. Now that I'm not booking client appts and looking at it daily we are in danger of missing dental etc appts if I haven't turned the page at the end of the previous week. Hasn't happened yet, but I expect it will.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark

Pop is still pop in our house. Born in Ohio, moved to Los Angeles when I was five. I just called it what my parents called it. Funny looks for almost 60 years when I'd say pop never broke me of the habit. Of course in our house Cliff knows what I want when I ask for a DCPIAGWI (Diet Cherry Pepsi in a glass with ice).

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
When I lived in Hawall in the 60's there was an out door theatre with fold down wooden seats. The cost was 5 cents. For brand new Movies (How the West was Won) we would go to downtown Honolulu. It was always a double feature and there were always intermissions. Most times the folks with fill us up on bowls of noodles before the movie. After we moved to California the family did Drive-Ins. Several brown paper grocery bags of home popped popcorn and soda pop or juice from home. Inexpensive way to treat 3 boys to an evening.

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Here's one, along the lines of the address book: I have a recipe card box, designed for 3x5 recipe cards. Recipes only make it into the box once they've been tried and tested, and usually reflect personal "adjustments" to recipes I have found elsewhere. I am out of recipe cards, and asked for more for Christmas. Apparently, The Powers That Be only make 4x6 recipe cards these days. WTF?!? So, my spouse, who makes customized wooden storage solutions for nerdy table top games, has agreed to make me a new box to fit the new cards. But what I REALLY want is just new 3x5 cards, because now I'll either have cards that will be "drowning" in the new larger box, or two boxes. Neither of these solutions spark joy. ;)

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Have you checked out a business supply store? I assume if the card is the correct size it does not matter if it says recipe on top.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Here's one, along the lines of the address book: I have a recipe card box, designed for 3x5 recipe cards. Recipes only make it into the box once they've been tried and tested, and usually reflect personal "adjustments" to recipes I have found elsewhere. I am out of recipe cards, and asked for more for Christmas. Apparently, The Powers That Be only make 4x6 recipe cards these days. WTF?!? So, my spouse, who makes customized wooden storage solutions for nerdy table top games, has agreed to make me a new box to fit the new cards. But what I REALLY want is just new 3x5 cards, because now I'll either have cards that will be "drowning" in the new larger box, or two boxes. Neither of these solutions spark joy. ;)
My mom just used regular ruled 3x5 cards, won't those do?

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Do a Googje Search on "3x5 Recipe Cards" - you will get multiple hits.
Bpn Appetit.

Richard

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
My husband always tells people to call us if they are in the area, “we are in the phone book”. If I call one of the kids and they do not answer, he says they must not be home. He loves his cardigans that were purchased in the eighties and maybe earlier, and those are hard to replace. Apparently Mr Rogers cornered the market.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
After we moved to California the family did Drive-Ins. Several brown paper grocery bags of home popped popcorn and soda pop or juice from home. Inexpensive way to treat 3 boys to an evening.
I think our town was one of the last hold-outs of drive-ins. Until last year (or maybe the one before) we had two of them. They finally had to close because they didn't want to spend $60,000 each (their numbers) to upgrade to digital, and movie companies no longer distribute them on film. The screens came down last fall and they are soon to be storage facilities. Many a teenager learned about the 'facts of life' (wink, wink) at a drive-in. Like smuggling in a trunk full of friends, and bringing your popcorn and sodas from home. Personally, I think daylight savings time contributed to their demise. Here, in Summer, it's light until between 10 and 11:00 pm. That makes a movie last til 1:00 am. Past my bed time.

Jim

Makai Guy

Administrator
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Spicebush (Hilton Head Island)
When I was about five years old, [late 1950s], I remember my Mom licking and sticking S&H Green Stamps into booklets. She had a pile of them, and had been saving for months. When she finally redeemed something like 100 booklets of stamps for her pursued gift item, (a big hammered aluminum kitchen soup pot with lid), she was thrilled. It was solid as can be, and was "built to last." She used that pot for the rest of her life, nearly 40 years, until she passed in 1996. My sister now has that pot, and it looks as good today as when it was new. S&H had some great stuff.

Dave
Oh, yeah. S&H. We also had yellow "Top Value" stamps from Kroger. In our early marriage (early '70's) I remember redeeming books of one or the other to get a doctor-style balance beam bathroom scale. We're still using it nearly 50 years later.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Oh, yeah. S&H. We also had yellow "Top Value" stamps from Kroger. In our early marriage (early '70's) I remember redeeming books of one or the other to get a doctor-style balance beam bathroom scale. We're still using it nearly 50 years later.

That's cool. When things were made to last. :) (Sidebar: I have a cheap battery-operated kitchen clock I got for about five dollars about thirty years ago. It's simple, but works great. I've taken it apart and spray-painted the case several times, to match the wall color of the kitchen it's hung in. Currently, it has a metallic bronze finish, and hangs on a ceramic subway tile wall above my kitchen sink. Those "Command" wall hanger hooks work great. :))

My biggest memory of all those S&H Green Stamps my Mom saved was when time came to stick them in the book. Mom was so clever... "Here, David. Stick out your tongue." She did it a lot, and I always got suckered in. <sigh> :doh:

One day her friend said, "Why don't you use a sponge?" And the lightbulb went off. I never was invited to stick out my tongue after that. Yay! :cheer:

There's a reason I use peel-and-stick stamps these days. The struggle is real. LOL!

Dave

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
Reaching for the shave cream, seeing the soap, and not remembering if you soaped yet.