• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How do I get from Newark Airport (EWR) to Manhattan by train.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
I'm flying into Newark on Monday and am being picked up by limo for the trip to the conference Hotel in New Brunswick, NJ.

After checking into the hotel, I plan to see if I can get a limo ride back to the airport to catch a train into Manhattan. I need to get to lower Manhattan for some business.

Can someone tell me where I need to go at EWR to catch the train/subway for the trip into Manhattan. Does it go to Penn Station or Grand Central? How much will that trip cost?

Thanks for any help.

Richard

Safti

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm flying into Newark on Monday and am being picked up by limo for the trip to the conference Hotel in New Brunswick, NJ.

After checking into the hotel, I plan to see if I can get a limo ride back to the airport to catch a train into Manhattan. I need to get to lower Manhattan for some business.

Can someone tell me where I need to go at EWR to catch the train/subway for the trip into Manhattan. Does it go to Penn Station or Grand Central? How much will that trip cost?

Thanks for any help.

Richard
Here you go:

Look for the signs at the airport that say "air train"
Make sure you get on the train that's heading toward the "rail Link".
Once you get off the train at the last stop "Newark Liberty International Airport Station" you should see a bunch of NJ Transit machines. Buh a one way adult ticket to the "New York Penn Station". The ticket should be $12.50.

You will have to use this ticket to go through the turnstile to get to the train.
KEEP THIS TICKET. You will also use this as your train ticket once you are on the train.
Once you go through the turnstile, follow the signs that say NEW YORK. You will go down a set of stairs that take you to the platform.
There is an indoor area to wait on the platform. Inside, there is a TV screen which lists the times for the trains. You want to take the train that is going to NY-SEC. Most people waiting there will be getting on the same train so follow them. DO NOT take the train going to Trenton or Long Branch.

Hop on the train and the guy will take your ticket.
The train takes 25 minutes. There will be 2-3 stops. Make sure you get off at NY PENN and NOT NEWARK PENN. NY PENN is the last stop on the train.

Exit the train and go upstairs.

Hope this helps.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Here you go:

Look for the signs at the airport that say "air train"
Make sure you get on the train that's heading toward the "rail Link".
Once you get off the train at the last stop "Newark Liberty International Airport Station" you should see a bunch of NJ Transit machines. Buh a one way adult ticket to the "New York Penn Station". The ticket should be $12.50.

You will have to use this ticket to go through the turnstile to get to the train.
KEEP THIS TICKET. You will also use this as your train ticket once you are on the train.
Once you go through the turnstile, follow the signs that say NEW YORK. You will go down a set of stairs that take you to the platform.
There is an indoor area to wait on the platform. Inside, there is a TV screen which lists the times for the trains. You want to take the train that is going to NY-SEC. Most people waiting there will be getting on the same train so follow them. DO NOT take the train going to Trenton or Long Branch.

Hop on the train and the guy will take your ticket.
The train takes 25 minutes. There will be 2-3 stops. Make sure you get off at NY PENN and NOT NEWARK PENN. NY PENN is the last stop on the train.

Exit the train and go upstairs.

Hope this helps.

Safti,

Thanks so much for your help!

Richard

vckempson

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do you need to go back to the Airport for some reason? I'm in NJ, further out in the burbs, but am certain there is train service from New Brunswick to Penn Station. Maybe call your hotel concier and ask them for details before you head out on Monday.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Do you need to go back to the Airport for some reason? I'm in NJ, further out in the burbs, but am certain there is train service from New Brunswick to Penn Station. Maybe call your hotel concier and ask them for details before you head out on Monday.

Cullen,

Thanks. I'll check that out.

Richard

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I found out I can go by train from the New Brunswick Station into Penn Station for $5.75 (senior fare). Trip takes about an hour.

The Train station is about a half-mile from the hotel.

Thanks again Cullen.

Richard

Last edited:

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Safti,

Your directions worked great. Turns out I had a change in plans and went into Manhattan from EWR via the air train. Then after I concluded my business, took the train back from Penn Station to New Brunswick.

When the conference in New Brunswick concluded, my wife and I took the train back into Penn Station - the senior train fare of $5.75/each was a lot better than the $150 quote I received from a limo company to take us into Manhattan.

So thanks again to Safti and Cullen for your help.

Richard

Safti

TUG Member
Reaction score
Safti,

Your directions worked great. Turns out I had a change in plans and went into Manhattan from EWR via the air train. Then after I concluded my business, took the train back from Penn Station to New Brunswick.

When the conference in New Brunswick concluded, my wife and I took the train back into Penn Station - the senior train fare of $5.75/each was a lot better than the $150 quote I received from a limo company to take us into Manhattan.

So thanks again to Safti and Cullen for your help.

Richard

Richard,

So glad to hear it worked out for you. All the best.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
By the way, for those not familiar with the NJ trains into Penn Station Manhattan- they do have overhead luggage racks. Once you get into Penn Station Manhattan, you can take elevators rather than hauling your luggage up stairways.

Worked fine for us.

Richard

Denise L

Tug Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Starwood/Vistana, Disney, Hyatt, HGVC
Resurrecting this old thread to ask if the public transportation (AirTrain to NJ Transit to subway) from EWR to Manhattan is still the same. I just found out that my usual SJC-JFK routes are gone and I moved them to SFO-JFK, but they arrive a lot later than desired. So I am considering SFO-EWR for the first time. Thanks for any updates.

jdent1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV Bella
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Resurrecting this old thread to ask if the public transportation (AirTrain to NJ Transit to subway) from EWR to Manhattan is still the same. I just found out that my usual SJC-JFK routes are gone and I moved them to SFO-JFK, but they arrive a lot later than desired. So I am considering SFO-EWR for the first time. Thanks for any updates.

Still the same. Nothing has changed other than occasional outages for the AirTrain.

mbh

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Basically the same. You can now buy your NJ Transit tickets via their app. If you are a senior (62 and over), the fare is $9. The regular fare is now $13.00

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
I thought it was a trick question. (How else would you get from EWR to NYC by train? Take the train!! Doh!)

22go

Reaction score
I thought it was a trick question. (How else would you get from EWR to NYC by train? Take the train!! Doh!)

Need to get from NJ toManhattan but need to park the car for a week. Is this doable? Any suggestions? Thanks.