• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Renting banked points

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if people ever rent out already banked points- for example 2018 points that have been banked into 2019 and expire 12/19?
I would think they would rent for less?
Thanks!

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Does anyone know if people ever rent out already banked points- for example 2018 points that have been banked into 2019 and expire 12/19?
Thanks!
They may because you can't transfer them to the other use. So their flexibility is more limited. Also, the later you get in to 2019 the lower the points may rent for.

jeepie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks!
No, it’s not allowed. But, it is possible to make a reservation with banked points and rent the reservation to someone. Cheers.

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
No, it’s not allowed. But, it is possible to make a reservation with banked points and rent the reservation to someone. Cheers.

Thanks Jeepie.
Do you happen to know where the rules for renting points are located?
I’ve been looking on the MVC site and I haven’t been able to find anything.

Edit- actually I just found it now. I was looking for info on renting but i now see under banked points they can’t be transferred. I did notice the sites that offered rentals didn’t ever say banked so I suspected it might not work.

Very tricky trying to get maximum use out of all points- limited options.
Thanks again.

Last edited:

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score
As mentioned above, people will rent out their banked points but they have to make the reservation for the renter. Because of this "inconvenience" some renters will offer less. The challenge with this is that its difficult to book a longer vacation or to book high demand times because most people have a limited amount of banked points and they don't want to rent out their unbanked points at the same discount.

Ideally, banked points are great for short trips or for reservations within 60 days.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I tested listing 2019 points earlier this year and I had a couple of enquiries but all from non-Marriott owners asking me to make reservations for them. I declined because I would rather have points be transferred out and be done. Other than these enquiries I did not receive enquiry for renting/transfer points. I had an enquiry about future years' points but I was unsure of our future years' plans yet. I then banked 2019 points instead of renting them out as we decided to go to Ko Olina next year prior to our cruise. In addition, instead of converting next year's weeks to points, I rented out 2 of our weeks and deposited a 3rd week into II. Renting out the weeks ended up fetching more than I would have gotten with straight points rental.

Last edited:

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
As mentioned above, people will rent out their banked points but they have to make the reservation for the renter. Because of this "inconvenience" some renters will offer less. The challenge with this is that its difficult to book a longer vacation or to book high demand times because most people have a limited amount of banked points and they don't want to rent out their unbanked points at the same discount.

Ideally, banked points are great for short trips or for reservations within 60 days.

Steve that is indeed our challenge.

I’m pretty new with points and had leftover in 2018 after our trip so I banked them into 2019 and now we don’t plan to do an MVC trip in 2019. The only MVC resort within reasonable driving distance for a short trip is custom house and that is booked solid- I’m keeping a close watch in case something pops up. It’s not enough points to book a great week to rent to someone, but too many to not care about losing. That is why I was hoping to just rent points to someone to complete their reservation.
I asked MVC last year about uses for points other than a stay and was referred to the explorer collection and a quick read made me think some options would work (resort credits, etc).
I think my only option now is deposit into II but that will only give me a mid season studio or a low season 1 br in a non Marriott that maybe I or someone I know can use in the next 2 years. Or perhaps for airfare- I still need to call for details to determine if I need to have a flight planned or can just park the points for that purpose.
I thought have the options of points would make it easier to book and perhaps I wouldn’t need to plan as far in advance, but that isn’t turning out to be the case.

Thanks for your replies everyone.

Last edited:

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
It’s not enough points to book a great week to rent to someone, but too many to not care about losing.

Another thing to ponder would be to put some of your other clean 2019 points (or borrowed 2020 points if you are out of clean 2019 points) together with the banked points to reserve a decent week that you could then rent out the week for $$. Just spit balling some other options for you to potentially consider to maximize the value you get out of the banked points.

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
Another thing to ponder would be to put some of your other clean 2019 points (or borrowed 2020 points if you are out of clean 2019 points) together with the banked points to reserve a decent week that you could then rent out the week for $$. Just spit balling some other options for you to potentially consider to maximize the value you get out of the banked points.

Thanks that is an option but it really does just feel like an ongoing balance act- if I borrow ahead points and book a great week to rent there is no guarantee that it will rent and so I lose more points and I may end up needing to rent points for my next trip or electing another week and so on.
Of course my situation is not unique.
I just wish there was a good option for a relatively small amount of points before they expire. I’m sure lots of others agree.

Again thanks for your reply- I’m going to give that some thought.