• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Bed Bath & Beyond to close 40 stores

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Yup, the closest to me announced it was closing after ~17 years in the same location because they had lease issues (but that didn’t sound correct to me). There are others in the area as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Is there a list of stores?

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Is there a list of stores?
From Cincinatti.com -
"So far, the company has not announced which stores will be closing.

It also plans to open 15 new stores, those locations have also not been announced....."

Richard

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
Yup, the closest to me announced it was closing after ~17 years in the same location because they had lease issues (but that didn’t sound correct to me). There are others in the area as well.

Actually the article addresses that. "It expects to shutter more than 40 stores if the company cannot negotiate better lease terms at some locations. . ."

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Actually the article addresses that. "It expects to shutter more than 40 stores if the company cannot negotiate better lease terms at some locations. . ."

Yes, that’s why I specifically mentioned it as being somewhat unbelievable. At least in this particular instance, I know more than a little about the building the store is in. Had the article not mentioned this issue, I would not have commented on it.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Personally I think that their stores are a hot mess. There is so much stuff everywhere you almost can't figure out how to find what you want. I think that they should streamline the inventory and stock what sells, and use their website for the other things.

Home decor/kitchen items are my weakness, but I rarely go to BBB. My go-to stores are Home Goods, Target, World Market, or Amazon. Never BBB.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Personally I think that their stores are a hot mess. There is so much stuff everywhere you almost can't figure out how to find what you want. I think that they should streamline the inventory and stock what sells, and use their website for the other things.

Home decor/kitchen items are my weakness, but I rarely go to BBB. My go-to stores are Home Goods, Target, World Market, or Amazon. Never BBB.

Really? I only get there once or twice a year but it seemed like an easy layout to navigate and most items were in obvious sections. Their web site is okay, too.

I went to Home Goods just last week to pick something up as a gift, and do they even train their staff? It took two cashiers 15 minutes to figure out how to issue a gift receipt when the week before (when I went originally) it took less than a minute. It’s a race to the bottom in retail staff, it seems, which is contrary to the impression they want to give...after all, they should emphasize the advantages to buying local vs online any way they can.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Really? I only get there once or twice a year but it seemed like an easy layout to navigate and most items were in obvious sections. Their web site is okay, too.

I went to Home Goods just last week to pick something up as a gift, and do they even train their staff? It took two cashiers 15 minutes to figure out how to issue a gift receipt when the week before (when I went originally) it took less than a minute. It’s a race to the bottom in retail staff, it seems, which is contrary to the impression they want to give...after all, they should emphasize the advantages to buying local vs online any way they can.

Maybe it depends on the store. Our local BBB is stuffed to the gills and a bit of a maze-like feel with all of the displays in the aisles. Ours is also a bit grimy feeling. I just don't enjoy shopping there. But I agree about the hired help in places. Customer service seems to be a thing of the past, although I have seen some pretty rude customers as well. I would hate to work in retail.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Maybe it depends on the store. Our local BBB is stuffed to the gills and a bit of a maze-like feel with all of the displays in the aisles. Ours is also a bit grimy feeling. I just don't enjoy shopping there. But I agree about the hired help in places. Customer service seems to be a thing of the past, although I have seen some pretty rude customers as well. I would hate to work in retail.

Maze-like? Haha... have you been to Ikea?

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

rboesl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Village Beach & Golf Resort
Vidanta Grand Mayan
Villa del Arco Cobo
Grandview Las Vegas
Vacation Village at Bonaventure

Traditional retail can survive. BUT, they must find a way to differentiate themselves from purchasing via the internet. Customer Service can certainly contribute to that. Additional services, more personal service, and things that just haven't been thought of yet.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
You have to use the cut throughs. :D

BBB is anything but a maze. Most of the stores I’ve been to (primarily in Los Angeles) are just squares with sections off the main walkway. Even those with two levels are easy to navigate. I just can’t believe you would consider it maze like, since as you know Ikea requires a masters in navigation to get through without feeling like a mouse. Perhaps it’s the high shelves in BBB that give you that impression?

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Traditional retail can survive. BUT, they must find a way to differentiate themselves from purchasing via the internet. Customer Service can certainly contribute to that. Additional services, more personal service, and things that just haven't been thought of yet.

Yes, exactly. Last year I bought BBB’s $29 membership (since I saved more that on my first purchase) which offered 20% off everything in store and online. I haven’t used it since, but I know it’s there. It’s nice to have a store with a local presence and online store together, with good service...like Amazon.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Yes, exactly. Last year I bought BBB’s $29 membership (since I saved more that on my first purchase) which offered 20% off everything in store and online. I haven’t used it since, but I know it’s there. It’s nice to have a store with a local presence and online store together, with good service...like Amazon.

But can't you get that same 20% off with coupons?

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
But can't you get that same 20% off with coupons?

Not online. The item I bought was not sold in stores, and with the $29 membership it was less expensive than every other option (including from Amazon).

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Not online. The item I bought was not sold in stores, and with the $29 membership it was less expensive than every other option (including from Amazon).

Interesting. I've used the coupons online many times.

I guess I don't shop there enough to make even a $29 membership worthwhile.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Interesting. I've used the coupons online many times.

I guess I don't shop there enough to make even a $29 membership worthwhile.

I don't, either! I have a stack of coupons for whenever I visit. But when I was searching for this one item BBB had it on their website and the $29 annual membership for the 20% discount saved more than the $29. I wasn't planning on renewing it when it expires, unless I find another similar opportunity.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I don't, either! I have a stack of coupons for whenever I visit. But when I was searching for this one item BBB had it on their website and the $29 annual membership for the 20% discount saved more than the $29. I wasn't planning on renewing it when it expires, unless I find another similar opportunity.
Okay, I'm really confused. You spent $29 to get 20% on an item.

I spend nothing and use a coupon for 20% and get that same 20% off.

You did say you couldn't use a coupon for an online purchase, but that isn't true.

Can you maybe show me your math on this.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Okay, I'm really confused. You spent $29 to get 20% on an item.

I spend nothing and use a coupon for 20% and get that same 20% off.

The item wasn't available in store. I have those same 20% off (and $10 off $30, etc) coupons.

You did say you couldn't use a coupon for an online purchase, but that isn't true.

Very few coupons (from what I've learned) are permitted to be used online. Or at least, that's the way it was last year. All the printed coupons I have are for in-store redemption only.

Can you maybe show me your math on this.

Um...sure. The items I bought were $220 without a coupon. With 20% off, it was $176, saving $44. And since $44 is more than $29...

FWIW, the $29 membership also includes free shipping for most items from the website.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
The item wasn't available in store. I have those same 20% off (and $10 off $30, etc) coupons.

Very few coupons (from what I've learned) are permitted to be used online. Or at least, that's the way it was last year. All the printed coupons I have are for in-store redemption only.

Um...sure. The items I bought were $220 without a coupon. With 20% off, it was $176, saving $44. And since $44 is more than $29...

FWIW, the $29 membership also includes free shipping for most items from the website.
But again, you could have gotten that 20% off just by using a coupon. I just checked the coupons I have and ALL of them say they can be used online.

Item was $220 without a coupon. With a 20% coupon is was $176 saving $44. Period, the end. No fee of $29.

It's water under the bridge now, but I don't see this as being such a great deal. Also, most shipping from BB&B is free with a minimum purchase. From their website: "Free Standard Shipping with any online purchase of $39 or more (merchandise subtotal)."

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
But again, you could have gotten that 20% off just by using a coupon. I just checked the coupons I have and ALL of them say they can be used online.

Item was $220 without a coupon. With a 20% coupon is was $176 saving $44. Period, the end. No fee of $29.

It's water under the bridge now, but I don't see this as being such a great deal. Also, most shipping from BB&B is free with a minimum purchase. From their website: "Free Standard Shipping with any online purchase of $39 or more (merchandise subtotal)."

Luanne,

Somehow you seem to think I'm in favor of purchasing the membership. I never said that. I only said that at the time I purchased, coupons were not applicable online (I checked), and that I saved with the membership. End of story.

I looked at my coupons and only the most recent have the ability to be used online (they are lighter blue than the older ones); I haven't read the coupons since December when I bought this item (but I do file them). As I said, I doubt I'll renew the annual membership (after all, I only used it the one time!). It's already paid for itself, so I'm not complaining (in fact, I'm happy they had it...). Please don't imply that this was a bad decision...at the time, it was the cheapest method to get my order. So, no, I could NOT have just "gotten that 20% off just by using a coupon". Today, it seems yes. In December, nope. Any other questions?

Have a great day!

Ken

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Luanne,

Somehow you seem to think I'm in favor of purchasing the membership. I never said that. I only said that at the time I purchased, coupons were not applicable online (I checked), and that I saved with the membership. End of story.

I looked at my coupons and only the most recent have the ability to be used online (they are lighter blue than the older ones); I haven't read the coupons since December when I bought this item (but I do file them). As I said, I doubt I'll renew the annual membership (after all, I only used it the one time!). It's already paid for itself, so I'm not complaining (in fact, I'm happy they had it...). Please don't imply that this was a bad decision...at the time, it was the cheapest method to get my order. So, no, I could NOT have just "gotten that 20% off just by using a coupon". Today, it seems yes. In December, nope. Any other questions?

Have a great day!

Ken
Ken,

I wasn't saying you were in favor of buying the membership. I was just confused that you did.

P.S. I have used coupons online since before December. In fact I ordered two Christmas gifts using coupons, and I know I ordered online a few years back for something for my daughter.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Ken,

I wasn't saying you were in favor of buying the membership. I was just confused that you did.

P.S. I have used coupons online since before December. In fact I ordered two Christmas gifts using coupons, and I know I ordered online a few years back for something for my daughter.

See above. I commented that most coupons, as of Dec, were not usable online. This is what I learned after talking about it with store employees and based on my own experience (at that time none of the coupons I had were good online, or else I obviously would not have paid an extra $29 for the membership!). Not sure why you got them and I didn’t, but that’s the way it was.

The good news is that your posts encouraged me to check my coupons, and the new ones are good online.