• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

The Crew of the Challenger Was Alive the Entire Fall - and NASA Tried to Cover It Up

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
The Crew Of the Challenger Was Alive the Entire Fall - and NASA Tried to Cover It Up
By Kellie Kreiss/ Weird History/ Ranker/ ranker.com

"The incident that destroyed the now infamous Challenger space shuttle on the morning of January 28, 1986, forever changed the future of NASA's space programs; however, the true extent of the event spanned much further than anyone could have guessed. In the months following, after much of the original Challenger had been recovered and analysis of the crew's remains was completed, Dennis E. Powell of the Miami Herald’s Sunday magazine, Tropic, revealed that NASA had kept much of the story to themselves. They did this not out of respect for families but as a cruel PR move to help preserve their public opinion.

The shocking truth that NASA attempted to hide was that the crew of six astronauts and one schoolteacher aboard the Challenger that day had, in fact, survived the explosion and instead met their ends after they plummeted 12 miles into the ocean. Likely embarrassed by their own lack of foresight when it came to preparing the crew for what may have been a survivable loss of life, NASA withheld information and forced people to lie on their behalf in an effort to keep the general public - which had watched the explosion live on their televisions - in the dark....."

4-photo-u1

Photo: NASA

Richard

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
I don't remember a cover up. When they found the crew compartment, most experts speculated that they were alive when it hit the water.

They never conceived of a catastrophic failure just as there was no backup for missing ceramic tiles. On take-off, they always assumed that the shuttle could separate and use the lifting body for re-entry.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry. That's something I didn't need to know.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
I'm sorry. That's something I didn't need to know.
Even if you survive, the impact usually erases from seconds to a minute before the trauma. It did in my case.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
I don't remember a cover up. When they found the crew compartment, most experts speculated that they were alive when it hit the water.

They never conceived of a catastrophic failure just as there was no backup for missing ceramic tiles. On take-off, they always assumed that the shuttle could separate and use the lifting body for re-entry.
That's my recollection as well.

Regardless, this is a click bait load of crap article lacking substance with absolutely no sourcing or evidence that NASA "knew" they were alive and covered it up. Her's the punchline for those smart enough not to read it: "because the cabin fell at such a controlled pace without spinning out of control, it suggests that the ship never depressurized and the astronauts were likely conscious the whole time." No evidence of this whatsoever.

Did some of them survive the initial blast, certainly possible. In fact I recall this was the conclusion reached at the time. But of course this author wasn't alive at the time, so she wouldn't recall that.

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
BS, we have known this for years. I like many watched the horror as it happened. This article is poorly researched and inflammatory.

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree, we just don’t need to know that and after so many years have passed, why does anyone write about it unless they are trying to stir up trouble.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
Here's what NASA released about it contemporaneous to when it happened:

http://www.spaceacts.com/howdied.htm

I couldn't find the actual report, but had heard of the results from some acquaintances that worked on the recovery team.