• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[ 2019 ] Best II Resort trader

Peterh1952

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can you name any names?
Try Trapp Family Lodge in Stowe Vermont. I’ve owned a 2 bedroom chalet in prime ski week since 1993 and enjoyed a wide variety of exchanges with II. This is an owner cooperative with only owners on the BoD. It exchanges for just about everything that II has to offer. Never a problem

chalee94

TUG Member
Reaction score
Oh, I have another question...If you book an extra vacation or whatever they call it in II, do you "have" to stay the entire week? Or can you leave after 3 or 4 nights without penalty.

Of course there is no penalty (no rebates/refunds either). I would just check out when leaving.

If you are planning to arrive a day or so after your official check in day, you will need to let them know that you will be delayed or risk them considering you a "no show."

SabresFan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Try Trapp Family Lodge in Stowe Vermont. I’ve owned a 2 bedroom chalet in prime ski week since 1993 and enjoyed a wide variety of exchanges with II. This is an owner cooperative with only owners on the BoD. It exchanges for just about everything that II has to offer. Never a problem
Thanks

krj9999

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't know that there is a single answer to this; and would depend on a person's needs and priorities. How large of a unit are you normally looking to trade into? Do you want a high quality resort (Hyatt, Vistana, Marriott)? Where do you intend on traveling to? Stay in peak or off-peak periods? Etc.

And how inexpensive for MFs is considered "inexpensive" these days? (also need to consider possible unit size upgrade costs)

For example, Hyatt I think would be great for staying at studios in Hawaii that show up at high quality resorts (really inexpensive stays) but getting larger units there would be more problematic due to preference periods. And you wouldn't have access to Hyatt resorts via II trading.

Between Vistana and Marriott, at present I'd lean towards Marriott due to many more destinations available with internal trading preference. I'm very happy with what I can see with my Platinum Willow Ridge deposits (both the 1 BR and Studio, though upgrades cost more to exchange unless within 60 days).

Though what the longer term plans may be are less certain, now that MVC has merged with Interval.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
What would you say is the best II trader with the lowest maintenance fee?

I heard there is II points now, they didn't have them when I had my TS years ago, can someone please explain how II points work?

I get a kick out of "what is the best ...." Best car? Best place to live? Best country? Best place to vacation, Best woman to marry, etc. First - - "best" is often in the eyes of the beholder. Also, there are usually secondary factors - - for instance, cost - - best car... AND under $15,000, $30,000? or under 50,000, etc. Each answer is different. Consider the question, "what is the cheapest possible car" that is the "best".

Also, I think that the "best II trader" and the "lowest MF" may be two different and conflicting factors. If the definition of the "best trader" is a really cheap MF timeshare that has a somewhat reasonable ability to trade? Or is it a really really STRONG trader (cost not a factor)? Or a "pretty" strong trader with a MF under....say $1800 per year or $2500 a year...etc....

I own at some Marriotts in Palm Desert. They are "reasonable" traders. Their MF are NOT the cheapest but not the worst. I like exchanging into other Marriotts (because of the "M" preference).

I think that the season may be a factor to consider. Prime seasons probably trade better than "dog" or "mud" seasons (low demand) and the MF is (usually) the same. But you'll pay a bit more on the secondary market.

StapelmanMO

TUG Member
Reaction score
Worldmark??? It is owned by Wyndham which are questionable at best.
In my opinion, you will be sorry you own Worldmark eventually. I was in Shell Group and got out of it after Wyndham bought Shell Group.
In time, Wyndham will take them over and parts of Raintree Vacation Club and Worldmark and Shell group will all be Wyndham.
Be careful, is all I caution. I was checking Redweek in the last month for a friends client and curiously there were no resales of Wyndham properties. Don't know if that was
a quirk or what to make of that.
I talked on the side one day with a Wyndham salesperson in Washington (Lake Chelan). She said Wyndham are ruthless and put a lot of pressure on their sales staff.
I personally went through a 2 & 1/2 hour sales presentation (saying no) on Maui with Wyndham (guaranteed to be 90 minutes or less) and they would not let us leave (4-6 years ago).
They kept bringing more and higher management and changing the offer. Nope I did not buy into Wyndham.
I buy resale or upgrade within a timeshare Entity/unit I already own knowing full well what I am getting and what it is worth.

Huh? Worldmark is owned by Worldmark owners. It is not a typical timeshare owned by developers. Wyndham is only the management company and developer that the Worldmark Board of Directors bought in to interface Worldmark without exchange companies, expand it---without adding any debt, and handle the maintenance. Wyndham will have to purchase from the owners in order to take over this timeshare.
That is one of the reasons we have some of the highest resale values (though miserably low) and lowest maintenance fees.

Had no idea Wyndham had properties in Maui or Lake Chelan, maybe you were on Worldmark properties and Wyndham was trying to sell you Worldmark rather than Wyndham. If the sales people did not understand the distinction between Wyndham and Worldmark enough to clarify it for you, no wonder they felt they were stressed out. But bottomline, by resale.

jjking42

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV and SVV, Wyndham Canterbury, Wyndham Flagstaff
In my opinion, a right Hyatt timeshare is the best II trader.

Low season Hyatt week worth 1,300 points can be found for free, or close to free, and it comes with a free Gold II membership. Maintenance fees are about $1,200. A high season 2br costs 1,300 points in II.

A high season Hyatt week worth 2,000 points would cost about $5-$10k to buy, depending on the resort. But you get 3 weeks in II every 2 years. 1,300x3 = 3,900 points, you are getting 4,000 points in two years. This brings maintenance fees cost per week down to about $800.

Hyatt points get top trading power in II and can see everything. They are also good for a very long time: you can confirm an exchange starting one year prior to your deeded week, up to two years after your deeded week, and then can actually travel another two years after that, and then add another year using eplus. 6 years in total to use your points.

Hyatt weeks come with a free II membership? Thanks I did not know that

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts
In my opinion, a right Hyatt timeshare is the best II trader.

Hyatt points get top trading power in II and can see everything. They are also good for a very long time: you can confirm an exchange starting one year prior to your deeded week, up to two years after your deeded week, and then can actually travel another two years after that, and then add another year using eplus. 6 years in total to use your points.

Does II have a list it chart showing which resorts have this "top trading power"? Or is this just informed opinion?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Tahiya

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Does II have a list it chart showing which resorts have this "top trading power"? Or is this just informed opinion?

It's informed opinion. II keeps the algorithm with which it determines trading power a secret. Even the vacation counselors profess to not know the relative trading power of different weeks.

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you join as a member of TUG, you get access to the Sightings board. On this board, there are periodic "trade tests," where various TUG members do the same search to see which units can "see" the targeted deposit. It's the best way for you (and us as a community of users) to figure out relative trading power.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts
If you join as a member of TUG, you get access to the Sightings board. On this board, there are periodic "trade tests," where various TUG members do the same search to see which units can "see" the targeted deposit. It's the best way for you (and us as a community of users) to figure out relative trading power.
So I can only see the sightings page if I become a paid member?

Last edited by a moderator:

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
I have found this thread from a little over a year or so ago to be quite helpful as I plot my first purchase of something that will trade in II. (My experience to this point is in HGVC and RCI Points properties.)

I am struggling in deciding if I should pay up for what my heart desires (a diamond Hyatt week at Beach House in Key West) or make a more affordable, practical debut in II with purchasing a prime summer week 4BR lock off in VV's the Colonies at Williamsburg (CWQ).

Could I pose a question to @tschwa2 @NiteMaire or others that may know? With a prime summer CWQ deposit in II, can you see or trade for decent weeks for the Hyatt properties in Key West? Would it be able to land a late November or March or April Hyatt Key West property every once in a while?

Thanks so much for the help of my fellow TUGers on this!

Last edited:

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
I have found this thread from a little over a year or so ago to be quite helpful as I plot my first purchase of something that will trade in II. (My experience to this point is in HGVC and RCI Points properties.)

I am struggling in deciding if I should pay up for what my heart desires (a diamond Hyatt week at Beach House in Key West) or make a more affordable.practical debut in II with purchasing a prime summer week 4BR lock off in VV's the Colonies at Williamsburg (CWQ).

Could I pose a question to @tschwa2 @NiteMaire or others that may know? With a prime summer CWQ deposit in II, can you see or trade for decent weeks for the Hyatt properties in Key West? Would it be able to land a late November or March or April Hyatt Key West property every once in a while?

Thanks so much for the help of my fellow TUGers on this!
If you really want Hyatt key west to trade most occasionally go there, I’d buy there. March or April are spring break months, I’d expect difficulty in those months. November may be easier as it’s the tail end of hurricane season. Hyatt Key west are hard to get on an exchange From what I hear. Others will def know more, I’m just speculating.

my thought is, you may be making a more practical decision by going with CWQ but what good is it if you can’t exchange into what your heart really desires? Go with Hyatt.

twise625

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm under contract for a 10k WorldMark membership for this reason.

Also, I was this interesting post for a cheap II trader during flex.
https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php...eat-cheap-way-to-join-ii.223854/#post-1730704
I think the inexpensive flex week might be a good strategy for exchanging into your Tahoe ski weeks or, alternatively using getaways in II. I remember seeing a bunch of inexpensive Ridge Tahoe getaways in 2019, during prime ski season, like under $300 for the efficiency side. I stayed at this resort a couple years ago and it was quite nice - not Marriott nice but a step below. The only downside I saw there was that there were not many options for restaurants nearby - you had to drive into Tahoe for that and it could be dicey depending on the weather. Also, the closest ski lift only services blue or higher runs so its not a good spot for a beginner to stay but given your user name, that's likely not an issue for you!

NiteMaire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
I am struggling in deciding if I should pay up for what my heart desires (a diamond Hyatt week at Beach House in Key West) or make a more affordable.practical debut in II with purchasing a prime summer week 4BR lock off in VV's the Colonies at Williamsburg (CWQ).

I haven't tried searching for Hyatt often with CWQ, but I was able to trade CWQ for a prime late Feb ski week at Hyatt Sierra Lodge in Tahoe.

I tracked Hyatt availability in Key West in 2019 using my Marriott, not CWQ. I saw about 25 units in April and May, 30 units between June and August, and only a handful in late November. Most were taken within the hour I saw it. The April and May weeks appeared 5-6 months out (some 1-2 months); the late November week was only 1-2 months out. I'm sure there were other weeks that were taken with OGS or times I didn't check so there were probably more weeks available. I would think you would be able to pull a few of the weeks based on getting HSL...if your timing is right.

I looked at purchasing Hyatt in the not too distant past because we were thinking of making Key West a primary vacation destination. It was the first time I considered buying where we wanted to stay. We decided against it when we realized we were likely moving to Hawaii for my job. If you're hesitant to pay up for Hyatt, you could purchase CWQ and try your luck exchanging for a year or two. Could it get you there "every once in a while"? Possibly. Could it get you to other fantastic destinations if you can't get Key West? Absolutely! We've been to some great resorts in Hawaii, Florida, and Mexico using CWQ. If you're unhappy in a year or two, then you could purchase Hyatt in Key West. If you're not willing to "postpone" for a year or two, then take the plunge and pay up now for what your heart desires.

tony_i

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, WM, Elara
I really enjoyed reading this thread, and similar ones in the past. I too inquired when looking to purchase a II trader. I eventually went with Worldmark. The overall package is just great. Plenty of properties, good locations, good units, good maintenance fees, and so flexible. The cherry on the cake for me has been how good WM works in II. Pre Covid, I was pulling plenty of great options to travel. WMowners forum has also been great, and javanite and other have kept the sighting sections updated almost daily, which also serves as a great way to research what our WM units are pulling.

Under the sighting section, you can enter the II resort code on the search, and you can backtrack all sightings reported. I have pulled many Hyatt Key West with my membership, and now you can research it there and gather extra info to see if it might work for you.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
I eventually went with Worldmark. The overall package is just great. Plenty of properties, good locations, good units, good maintenance fees, and so flexible. The cherry on the cake for me has been how good WM works in II.

Thanks! I believe I am close to having my strategy, but never too late to look at something else. What are the Worldmark properties trading in II that are generally viewed as having the most II trading bang for one’s MF bucks?

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks! I believe I am close to having my strategy, but never too late to look at something else. What are the Worldmark properties trading in II that are generally viewed as having the most II trading bang for one’s MF bucks?
Because most worldmarks (some TUGgers will know better than me, but I think the only fractional is Seaside) are points properties they are very good for trading.

It's basically 10K Worldmark points for a 2 bedroom trade. In Flexchange it's just 4000 points for a trade -- so if you can travel last minute, it can be a phenomenal deal. You do have to use (or pay) for a housekeeping credit when exchanging in II.

tony_i

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, WM, Elara

You actually have several options in II. If you request a deposit into II first, your trading power will be assigned depending on what worldmark deposits. You have not control on that. What you control is the amount of credits you want deposited for a given unit size to trade.

The way I have been using my WM credits is to seach II first with a "floating week", you select the unit size you would be trading in, and then you get all the results that match the "TP" of the floating week. This is where I believe that WM works better than deposit first. This is also great as it allows more flexibility with your credits, and having more control on them.

With a WM studio float I have pulled 1 bedrooms in Prime season.
With the two bedroom I have pulled other 2 bedrooms at most Prime seasons.
With the 3 bedrooms I have pulled a lot of 2 bedroom Marriott and some Westin HI in Prime season.

Then you have the flex exchanges, these cost 4k credits and are 59 days prior to checking, you get any available size unit for the 4k. Probably my favorite.

Studio deposit/float is 8k credits
1B is 9k
2b is 10k
3b is 12k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mjasp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Broadway Plantation

What Did you decide to go with? I took some advice here and went with SBP 1BR Gold Plus EOY

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Oh also, Is Harborside a Vistana preference?
Yes, but hardly ever available. Prior to covid this year there was availability that popped up. I saw you ask about becoming a member to see sightings. Yes that’s the only way you can see sightings. Also, in 20 years I’ve NEVER seen units like WKORN or ARUBA Marriott in interval until I joined TUG and saw them in sightings. It is worth it! But also, do your part and if you things, list it. Help the community (after you book what you want of course lol)

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Oh, I have another question...If you book an extra vacation or whatever they call it in II, do you "have" to stay the entire week? Or can you leave after 3 or 4 nights without penalty.
I’ve often used the award certificates to book the whole week checking in on a Friday but left on a Monday after a long weekend. Usually if it’s cheaper for the exchange fee than booking nightly in a hotel I’ll book the whole week. If you stay at a Marriott you get the full 7 nights toward elite status so that’s a plus, also you can leave whenever your flight leaves. Another benefit of having the room booked the whole week and leaving early. I hardly ever check out of a hotel. I just leave. I wouldn’t check out early, I’d just leave. You never know what may happen and you may need the room or decide to stay.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks for asking. I planned to update this thread once I pulled the trigger on something, and am sometimes nervous about announcing buying intentions before executing.

I have decided I am open to buying any of the following (possibly a couple of the following) but I am not in a hurry and looking for a bargain.

1) The Colonies Williamsburg 4BR LO, only 150 TDI Weeks (My conclusion is this is likely the best value purchase for me)
2) If I can get a bargain on it, my heart's desire (with limited compromise) is a Diamond Week at HRC Beach House in Key West
3) An EOY Contract for a Marriott 2BR LO for platinum week at Marriott Willow Ridge Lodge (Branson, MO) (seems like a decent trader with Marriott priority)

If anyone sees a bargain from a good seller on any of the above please PM me instead of replying to this thread. ;)

What I have listed is probably what I want at this time in order of desire. Getting all three would be way too much, too quick even if purchase prices were great. I might potentially go with #1 and then either #2 or #3 if I got only a bit carried away.

What Did you decide to go with? I took some advice here and went with SBP 1BR Gold Plus EOY

Last edited:

NiteMaire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
I have decided I am open to buying any of the following (possibly a couple of the following) but I am not in a hurry but looking for a bargain.

1) The Colonies Williamsburg 4BR LO, only 150 TDI Weeks (My conclusion is likely this is the best value purchase I could make for me)
2) If I can get an absolute bargain on it, my Heart's desire (with limited compromise) is a Diamond Week at HRC Beach House in Key West
3) An EOY Contract for a Marriott 2BR LO for platinum week at Marriott Willow Ridge Lodge (Branson, MO) (seems like a decent trader with Marriott priority)
Great minds think (mostly) alike. I own #1 (week 26), and I can tell you it punches well above its weight class. MFs are very affordable (currently less than $450 each side when LO). As I posted earlier in this thread, I've had some phenomenal trades with this unit.
When I was searching last year, I drooled over #2. I eventually decided against it, but I find myself thinking about it at times even though I own more weeks than vacation at the moment.
While I don't own #3, I own a 2BR LO platinum week at Marriott's Grand Chateau. Another great trader in II with Marriott priority.

I own 4 units, and they are all dedicated traders. I own 2 for preference in their system (Marriott and Vistana), one because it's a sister resort to the first timeshare I purchased (Colonies), and one for its internal exchange system that I can get to other Hawaiian islands during whale season (Sedona Summit).

Ultimately the answer to the OP's question is "it depends". I think there is plenty in this thread (and others) that one could find the resort/system that works best for their situation. Colonies is my least expensive unit per exchange, but it won't provide access to some inventory that the other 3 can. While the others cost more, they also bring more "valuable" exchanges.

Completely unrelated, this is my 900th post on TUG :)