• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Edisto SC / newbie question

Kls2286

Reaction score
My family and I are looking to book Wyndham Ocean Ridge next year for Easter. We will be traveling with 4 kids, my parents, my husband and myself. I have a few questions.

1. Is there a certain building that is better than others? I was thinking the 2 bedroom loft. Has anyone stayed there? We like to be close to the ocean if there is a building more suited with those views.

2. We are new to Wyndham and have 137,000 points to use but like I mentioned if I want the loft it’s 223,000... how can I get those 86,000 points? We don’t have any to roll forward because we are new and I don’t permanently want to purchase more points until we’ve taken a trip with the whole family to make sure we want more points. Is there a system to purchase those points from someone or Wyndham for this one trip?

3. I’ll take any advice on staying at this resort and things to do in the area!

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
It's been a few years since I have been to Edisto so hopefully someone else can jump in with the best HOA's to book within Edisto.
No units have an ocean view. Baypoint has nice water views. I think there is one to two others and the resort of the 2 BR units are going to be on the main campus with little view and a drive to the beach. At that time of year it will be too cold to swim. Even at the height of the season, Edisto is slow but without the beach for some of the days you will have to work even harder to keep your family entertained for a full week unless they are the types who are completely self suficient and don't need to be entertained.

In terms of the points there is nothing you can do (if you don't want to buy more points) unless you want to wait until the express window to borrow or simply stay fewer days. Staying anywhere with 8 for a week for 137,000 during high or prime season is going to be difficult.

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
Like tschwa2 points out - waiting until you are in the express booking period (0-90 days out) to borrow points from your 2021 use year if you cannot use points deposit.

Silverdollar

TUG Member
Reaction score
My family and I are looking to book Wyndham Ocean Ridge next year for Easter. We will be traveling with 4 kids, my parents, my husband and myself. I have a few questions.

1. Is there a certain building that is better than others? I was thinking the 2 bedroom loft. Has anyone stayed there? We like to be close to the ocean if there is a building more suited with those views.

2. We are new to Wyndham and have 137,000 points to use but like I mentioned if I want the loft it’s 223,000... how can I get those 86,000 points? We don’t have any to roll forward because we are new and I don’t permanently want to purchase more points until we’ve taken a trip with the whole family to make sure we want more points. Is there a system to purchase those points from someone or Wyndham for this one trip?

3. I’ll take any advice on staying at this resort and things to do in the area!
Last fall, I wrote a post about Wyndham Ocean Ridge and will list it here, plus a couple additional thoughts.

My wife and I, as well as our children and grandchildren, have been to Edisto (Wyndham Ocean Ridge) annually for several years. We like the slower pace of life and uncrowded beaches. We usually go in May when the weather is not so hot (but also go at other times of the year).

We have stayed in all of the sections of the resort at one time or another. All units in these areas have been remodeled within the past couple years.

The best views are found at Bay Point that overlooks where the ocean meets the inlet waterway. The sunsets from there are incredible! The best units with views at Bay Point are #985, 987, 989, 991, 983 and 981 (2nd floor), or 980, 982, 984, 986, 988, and 990(1st floor).

Bay Point does not have a pool. However, there is one within reasonable walking distance at Marsh Point. Sea Oaks, Sea Palms, and Fairway Terrace have a pool within easy walking distance. The Village and Southpointe have their own pools. You can use any of the pools while staying at Edisto.

Southpointe has 4-bedroom units only (4 BR Deluxe and 4 BR Presidential). They are enormous in size at over 3200 sq ft. The layout is the same for deluxe and presidential. The only difference is the decor.

If you like a lot activity, like Myrtle Beach, then Edisto is probably not for you. However, if you want a "laid back" vacation at the pool and beach, without a big crowd, then Edisto is a good place. And, if you like golf, there is a nice course on the property. If you like fishing, you can rent a boat to take you out for the day (ocean or inlet waterway).

There are about a dozen "mom and pop" type restaurants. We have eaten at all of them many times. There are only a couple that I you might categorize as "fine dining" such as Ella and Ollies (on Wyndham property) and The Old Post Office (a few miles out), while the rest are just good solid eating places, mainly serving seafood, but also offering other foods (steak, chicken, pasta, etc.). Plus, there are a couple pizza places as well.

Another thing we like about Edisto; it's less than an hour's drive to Charleston, SC. We usually take a day trip to Charleston to see the sites, attend various festivals, and eat at some really nice restaurants. Or, you can travel south from Edisto to Savannah, Ga. It's less than 1 1/2 hours and there is a lot to see and do there as well.

Another thing I like about Edisto; it doesn't take many points to book a unit compared to other Wyndham resorts.

Now, a couple other thoughts: The weather in April (Easter, 2020) can vary greatly, anywhere from highs in the low 50's to low 80's, so beach life is uncertain that time of year. One of the resort pools has a cover, so you can still go swimming regardless of the temperature.

I have stayed in a 2-bedroom loft on more than one occasion. They are very nice, especially since being renovated. The only drawback, they are not within easy walking distance of the beach. As has already been stated, none of the units are directly on the beach (except the ones on Bay Point). They are 2-bedroom units without a loft.

If you don't have enough points to book at Edisto, then you might consider renting from a VIP Platinum owner. There is a good possibility of them booking a unit within the 60-day discount window and passing that savings on to you. If interested, PM me and maybe I can help.

Kls2286

Reaction score
Last fall, I wrote a post about Wyndham Ocean Ridge and will list it here, plus a couple additional thoughts.

My wife and I, as well as our children and grandchildren, have been to Edisto (Wyndham Ocean Ridge) annually for several years. We like the slower pace of life and uncrowded beaches. We usually go in May when the weather is not so hot (but also go at other times of the year).

We have stayed in all of the sections of the resort at one time or another. All units in these areas have been remodeled within the past couple years.

The best views are found at Bay Point that overlooks where the ocean meets the inlet waterway. The sunsets from there are incredible! The best units with views at Bay Point are #985, 987, 989, 991, 983 and 981 (2nd floor), or 980, 982, 984, 986, 988, and 990(1st floor).

Bay Point does not have a pool. However, there is one within reasonable walking distance at Marsh Point. Sea Oaks, Sea Palms, and Fairway Terrace have a pool within easy walking distance. The Village and Southpointe have their own pools. You can use any of the pools while staying at Edisto.

Southpointe has 4-bedroom units only (4 BR Deluxe and 4 BR Presidential). They are enormous in size at over 3200 sq ft. The layout is the same for deluxe and presidential. The only difference is the decor.

If you like a lot activity, like Myrtle Beach, then Edisto is probably not for you. However, if you want a "laid back" vacation at the pool and beach, without a big crowd, then Edisto is a good place. And, if you like golf, there is a nice course on the property. If you like fishing, you can rent a boat to take you out for the day (ocean or inlet waterway).

There are about a dozen "mom and pop" type restaurants. We have eaten at all of them many times. There are only a couple that I you might categorize as "fine dining" such as Ella and Ollies (on Wyndham property) and The Old Post Office (a few miles out), while the rest are just good solid eating places, mainly serving seafood, but also offering other foods (steak, chicken, pasta, etc.). Plus, there are a couple pizza places as well.

Another thing we like about Edisto; it's less than an hour's drive to Charleston, SC. We usually take a day trip to Charleston to see the sites, attend various festivals, and eat at some really nice restaurants. Or, you can travel south from Edisto to Savannah, Ga. It's less than 1 1/2 hours and there is a lot to see and do there as well.

Another thing I like about Edisto; it doesn't take many points to book a unit compared to other Wyndham resorts.

Now, a couple other thoughts: The weather in April (Easter, 2020) can vary greatly, anywhere from highs in the low 50's to low 80's, so beach life is uncertain that time of year. One of the resort pools has a cover, so you can still go swimming regardless of the temperature.

I have stayed in a 2-bedroom loft on more than one occasion. They are very nice, especially since being renovated. The only drawback, they are not within easy walking distance of the beach. As has already been stated, none of the units are directly on the beach (except the ones on Bay Point). They are 2-bedroom units without a loft.

If you don't have enough points to book at Edisto, then you might consider renting from a VIP Platinum owner. There is a good possibility of them booking a unit within the 60-day discount window and passing that savings on to you. If interested, PM me and maybe I can help.

Thank you for this valuable information! Before we were timeshare owners we frequently vacationed in the Outer Banks on Easter vacation so I would assume the weather patterns would be similar along with the laid back beach life.

Have you ever stayed in the 4 bedroom houses at Beach walk? Someone on a Wyndham Facebook page recommended them.

BDMX2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Santa Barbara
Wyndham Bonnet Creek
We just got back yesterday from a fantastic first time stay at Ocean Ridge last week! We sure enjoyed it there and will definitely be back. We stayed at South Point (Southpointe...you see it written both ways depending on which sign you're looking at, LOL), the size ended up being overkill for us, but it was so comfortable for DH, DS, and I, and my SIL and BIL (when we booked we had planned on bringing along a female friend of DS's, but she ended up not coming). The location of South Point was fantastic, the walk to the beach was a block and a half. Same distance for Beach Walk, which I would try as well, they're a couple of blocks away from one another. South Point has its own pool, so that's nice, but not a huge deal. We rented bikes for the week and rode over to mini golf and the main pool area a few times. Since it was our first visit, I'll defer to Silverdollar's weather info, but wow we had pretty much perfect weather with mid 70's most of the week.

Oh, and my unit at South Point (#9) does have "ocean view" from the very top floor's deck if you look off to the left through an opening in the trees :) . Some nice sunsets from up there too!

Silverdollar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for this valuable information! Before we were timeshare owners we frequently vacationed in the Outer Banks on Easter vacation so I would assume the weather patterns would be similar along with the laid back beach life.

Have you ever stayed in the 4 bedroom houses at Beach walk? Someone on a Wyndham Facebook page recommended them.
Yes, I have stayed in the 4 bedroom houses at Beach Walk on three different occasions. They are very nice, especially since being renovated last year, and an easy walk to the beach. Family members included Son/DIL, two grandchildren, Daughter/SIL, MIL, and my wife and I. We plan to go again next month, but staying in a 4-bedroom Deluxe at Southpointe this time.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas

Weather would be the same but Outerbanks is way more commercial than Edisto. Outerbanks, at least Duck to Nags Head is closer to Myrtle Beach than it is to Edisto. Imagine Rodanthe with everything including a fully stocked grocery store 1 hr plus drive away. There was a 3/4's normal stock piggly wiggly in Edisto but I hear that was replaced with a Bi-Lo. Imagine staying in Kill Devil Hills but 97% of all business were closed from Duck to Nags Head and the kind of weather that you expect there at Easter, which isn't late next year like it is this year.
Beach walk was where we stayed. The units were very nice. You overlooked nothing but the parking lot and the small pool but it was about a block and a half to the beach.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
May I suggest to you Hilton Head Island it is laid back liked Edisito, SC but not as commercial as OBX. Plus, the beaches and their bike trails are really nice. You will have many excellent restaurants and grocery store to choose from. Also, there are some timeshare that are ocean front. Enjoy your vacation in SC.

jwalk03

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
May I suggest to you Hilton Head Island it is laid back liked Edisito, SC but not as commercial as OBX. Plus, the beaches and their bike trails are really nice. You will have many excellent restaurants and grocery store to choose from. Also, there are some timeshare that are ocean front. Enjoy your vacation in SC.

I found Hilton Head to be far more commercial than Outer Banks, but we stayed way south of Kitty Hawk & Kill Devil Hills when we went to Outer Banks. We were like 40 minutes from the nearest grocery store and restaurants. So it really just depends on what part of Outer Banks you are staying in. All of Hilton Head is in very close proximity to everything, its a small island.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Edisto is not like Outer Banks or Hilton Head again unless you closed down 90%+ of the businesses and activities. I imagine it was what Outerbanks was like in the 1950's. A few mom and pop restaurants and one small fairly expensive grocery store, fishing and boating charters- the one resort-Wyndham biking and Botany Bay. Some people love it, some people hate it. We loved it but it was a 2 night stop on the way to Hilton Head. I think you are more likely to love it if you can walk to the water without having to get in your car every time.

kwelty

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club II
Samoset Rockport, ME
Harbor Ridge MDI ME
Tree Tops Gatlinburg
We love Edisto, but would not want to spend two weeks back to back there.

Kls2286

Reaction score
I should clarify we stay in Avon in the outer banks which has one grocery store and not a ton of commercial stuff. Does Wyndham have a resort in Hilton head that I missed?

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
I should clarify we stay in Avon in the outer banks which has one grocery store and not a ton of commercial stuff. Does Wyndham have a resort in Hilton head that I missed?
No, it does not. Lots of timeshares there but nothing in the Wyndham family. RCI or II exchanges are your best bet, especially the Marriotts that trade thru II.

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We rented a house many moons ago with college friends (a few years after graduating) and had a great time. We went to the beach, did a lot of walking (and just some driving around/exploring,) and played a lot of board and card games and mostly just enjoyed being with each other. Our "big night out" was a dinner at The Old Post Office. It was great! (See pic attached; I'll let you guess which one is me.)

But, I agree--it is very laid back, so perfect if you're good at amusing yourselves (with water added,) not so much if you constantly need to be out and doing a bunch of different activities.
1157577_10152045791933165_449754646_n.jpg

schoolmarm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham CWA, Bali Hai, and National Harbor; Summit at Massanutten
If you need to have WIFI in your unit, I don't recommend Edisto, unless they have fixed it in the last two years. And I highly doubt it. I needed to finish a grant on a deadline while I was there and I had to sit in the check-in lobby for hours to finish and upload my report. There was one other spot in the main resort that had consistent WIFI, but it was by a pool and pool restaurant and mostly outdoors.

The drive to Edisto is not easy. The two-lane roads are slow going and, well, just Edistlow. Make sure you get groceries before the grocery store closes (same for gas). There is NO fast food or convenience store there. The grocery store has good fried chicken and that is about as close to "quick serve" you get. ALSO get a schedule of the restaurants...even during the busy season they are not open every day. Some are only open one or two days.

There is a nice little farmers market near the Village units (I think that is right).

Some people really love this place. Others, like me, are not so hot on it. I'm glad that I went. I will not go back...too many palmetto bugs and just not my kind of place.

I couldn't imagine being there for two weeks straight. I think I was there for three or four days...one day at Penn Island <--highly recommend, one day in Savannah, the others in Charleston.