• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott Cat 6 hotel along S. CA coast

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have an old Cat 9 5-night that will expire this June but will extend a year when I convert it to the new Cat 6.

We have nothing planned but we are fine with driving somewhere rather than to lose it. Looking along S. CA coast, 2 Cat 6 hotels show up: Lido House, Autograph Collection at Newport Beach and Laguna Cliffis Marriott at Dana Point.

Is anyone familiar with both who recommends one over the other? I looked at the reviews and did not see mention of breakfast or lounge access. I am Titanium and want to pick if one or both offer complimentary/loyalty hot breakfast and lounge access?

Thank you.

Norcal5

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have an old Cat 9 5-night that will expire this June but will extend a year when I convert it to the new Cat 6.

We have nothing planned but we are fine with driving somewhere rather than to lose it. Looking along S. CA coast, 2 Cat 6 hotels show up: Lido House, Autograph Collection at Newport Beach and Laguna Cliffis Marriott at Dana Point.

Is anyone familiar with both who recommends one over the other? I looked at the reviews and did not see mention of breakfast or lounge access. I am Titanium and want to pick if one or both offer complimentary/loyalty hot breakfast and lounge access?

Thank you.
The Laguna Cliffs at Dana Point is very nice. Another option would be to use it at Newport Coast Villas, which although not directly on the beach has other qualities that I think make it nicer.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The Laguna Cliffs at Dana Point is very nice. Another option would be to use it at Newport Coast Villas, which although not directly on the beach has other qualities that I think make it nicer.
Thanks. I am trying to compare between Lido House and Laguna Cliffs as they are both full service hotels. We have been to Newport Coast a bunch of times, including going there again late May this year using our MVC points, but we are looking for a different experience with the hotel certificates.

BigMac

Reaction score
Don't know either of these hotels but according to the new "Bonvoy" rules about free breakfasts, Autograph and Marriott hotels both give 2 free breakfasts either in the lounge or if there isn't a lounge in a restaurant. You have a free night cert but if you look at the retail price of these hotels the Lido house is about twice the price of Dana Point. Lido will be in the middle of Newport beach with surrounding restaurants and shops while Dana Point is a bit out of the way but probably much quieter.

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
This one is tough. I think the setting of the one at Dana Point is better, but you will probably get upgraded to a suite at the one in Newport if you have status. You are closer to more stuff in Newport, but if you want to relax the on at the Cliffs looks better. You should get breakfast at both. No concierge lounge at Autograph or Resort/Spa hotels generally. I wish I were going. That's one of my favorite places to go in the US.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
This one is tough. I think the setting of the one at Dana Point is better, but you will probably get upgraded to a suite at the one in Newport if you have status. You are closer to more stuff in Newport, but if you want to relax the on at the Cliffs looks better. You should get breakfast at both. No concierge lounge at Autograph or Resort/Spa hotels generally. I wish I were going. That's one of my favorite places to go in the US.
Thank you. I have 5 suite award nights to apply to whichever we choose.

gregloucks

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree that this is a tough decision. I think it depends upon how you want to spend your time, and how sensitive you are to possible noise/congestion. Lido is out on the Balboa Peninsula, lots of restaurants and nightlife nearby, and it's a more trendy property, but not a peaceful location by any standard. Laguna Cliffs is up on a hill, much quieter with better views of the water, but it's an older property. Still walkable to restaurants, etc. in Dana Point.