• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

For People who Pooled Points before that option was eliminated...

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
....and have NOT used up all those pooled points yet you may be in the same situation as me. If you used up on your pooled this is not a topic for you. But if you are like me then this might apply.

I had it in my head because I am VIPP that I can now just wait until the end of the year and if I have points left I will just decide to move them into 2020 or 21. However, Pooled point left over have impacted that decision.

• I Pooled (916K) points in both 2016 and 2017.
  • I have not yet used up all those pooled points about (325K), they expire May 2020.
  • I have remaining 2019 points (370K).
  • I have a full allotment of 2020 points (916K).
  • I have some bookings that I still need to make in 2019 (189K).

I Pooled points in May 2017 just before the change that eliminated the Pooling option. So those points are expiring in May 2020. I am also VIP Platinum and I have until the end of the year to Save my 2019 points, (but this might also apply to Gold and Silver who's Save deposit windows for 2019 are still open).

I got to thinking if I use my 2019 points to book my reservations coming later this year, then I will ALSO have to book up my remaining Pooled points by May of 2020. That may be an issue. So it might be better for me to take some action now and move some points around.

Since Pooled points have no booking restriction, it will be fine to use those for booking my known remaining 2019 reservation, that I am waiting for the 2 month window on.

It would be better for me to Pool my remaining 2019 points NOW and just pay the fee.
Thus moving my 2019 points to 2021, (as I have all of my 2020 and the remaining pooled left no known planned need in 2020). Then I can use my previously pooled points to book my remaining 2019 reservation.

So just evaluate if any of you are in a similar position. Although I had set up my brain to not worry about point expiring until the very end of the year, this year will be the last year this exception will happen.

Plan accordingly and take action if necessary.

Last edited:

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
I have to admit you almost lost me (and I am in an almost identical position).

But I guess you are saying that since the May 2020 points are truly lose or use, it is best to ensure you burn them up ASAP. Because you do have some options regarding your 2019 points.

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have to admit you almost lost me (and I am in an almost identical position).

But I guess you are saying that since the May 2020 points are truly lose or use, it is best to ensure you burn them up ASAP. Because you do have some options regarding your 2019 points.

That is the end result, yes.

But I was explaining how I got there, especially saying I had points expiring in May which is off the normal use year grid (and I didn't want that to add confusion) but will be a date for those who pooled in 2017 and have not burned through them all. I hate to loose any points, and would rather proactively manage to use them better.

Last edited:

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Quarter House, a handful of East Coast beach resorts
I'm in a similar situation with pooled points expiring Jan 2020. If I don't use them by the end of this year my plan was to call and see if they'd let me put them in RCI. Hoping they will allow it since previously we could make a reservation using points from the credit pool, cancel to get them in current year and then deposit to RCI.

Honestly, I'd be surprised if they allow it.

capital city

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Panama City 520k

Club Access 801k
Can a VC use points from the other pot of points? So that you can wait on depositing 2019's points? Not that any of us want to call in every reservation, just a thought

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
Can a VC use points from the other pot of points? So that you can wait on depositing 2019's points? Not that any of us want to call in every reservation, just a thought

No. The system determines what points are taken for a reservation.

The manual work-around is to tie up the 2019 points in reservations (that you will later cancel), and then make the reservations you need with the May 2020 points. That is how I tackled it.

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The manual work-around is to tie up the 2019 points in reservations (that you will later cancel), and then make the reservations you need with the May 2020 points. That is how I tackled it.

That is a thought, but in either case I will end up saving 2019 points in all likelihood, but I guess I would pay them later and not now.

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard, Flagstaff, Grand Desert
I'm in a similar situation with pooled points expiring Jan 2020. If I don't use them by the end of this year my plan was to call and see if they'd let me put them in RCI. Hoping they will allow it since previously we could make a reservation using points from the credit pool, cancel to get them in current year and then deposit to RCI.

Honestly, I'd be surprised if they allow it.

Although I've never tried calling and pleading my case to a human, it's not possible in the online system and I'd be surprised if they'd make an exception. Especially since the cancelled points workaround was eliminated two updates ago - I believe cancelled points were eliminated in 2015. We've had to deal with not being able to transfer credit pooled points to RCI for nearly four years, so I'm not sure you'll get much sympathy from Wyndham on that one.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Glad I am on the outside looking in. A lot different then just pushing points forward for ever.

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I think I can make my situation work. But I just wanted to heads up anyone else in the same situation. If they hadn't really thought about it. Like I hadn't.

I can always save my 2019, so I have options. But clearly I have to use or lose the Pooled points.

Reactions: Arb

learnalot

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think I can make my situation work. But I just wanted to heads up anyone else in the same situation. If they hadn't really thought about it. Like I hadn't.

I can always save my 2019, so I have options. But clearly I have to use or lose the Pooled points.

Sandy,

I agree with your thinking. I would also do what you have described - just go ahead and push the 2019 points forward now so that they don't end up complicating access to your pooled points before they expire in May. Especially since I think you tend to do quite a bit of booking and cancelling, pushing your 2109 points forward now will help ensure that your bookings (and cancellations) are accessing your earliest expiring points.

Baby Jane

Reaction score
....and have NOT used up all those pooled points yet you may be in the same situation as me. If you used up on your pooled this is not a topic for you. But if you are like me then this might apply.

I had it in my head because I am VIPP that I can now just wait until the end of the year and if I have points left I will just decide to move them into 2020 or 21. However, Pooled point left over have impacted that decision.

• I Pooled (916K) points in both 2016 and 2017.
  • I have not yet used up all those pooled points about (325K), they expire May 2020.
  • I have remaining 2019 points (370K).
  • I have a full allotment of 2020 points (916K).
  • I have some bookings that I still need to make in 2019 (189K).

I Pooled points in May 2017 just before the change that eliminated the Pooling option. So those points are expiring in May 2020. I am also VIP Platinum and I have until the end of the year to Save my 2019 points, (but this might also apply to Gold and Silver who's Save deposit windows for 2019 are still open).

I got to thinking if I use my 2019 points to book my reservations coming later this year, then I will ALSO have to book up my remaining Pooled points by May of 2020. That may be an issue. So it might be better for me to take some action now and move some points around.

Since Pooled points have no booking restriction, it will be fine to use those for booking my known remaining 2019 reservation, that I am waiting for the 2 month window on.

It would be better for me to Pool my remaining 2019 points NOW and just pay the fee.
Thus moving my 2019 points to 2021, (as I have all of my 2020 and the remaining pooled left no known planned need in 2020). Then I can use my previously pooled points to book my remaining 2019 reservation.

So just evaluate if any of you are in a similar position. Although I had set up my brain to not worry about point expiring until the very end of the year, this year will be the last year this exception will happen.

Plan accordingly and take action if necessary.
Well they used my pooled points first when I booked within 10 months for this year but I did cancel a reservation and now have until October to use those points. I even think they used them on ARP before but that’s not good because when you cancel those it puts the points into use last by December

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard, Flagstaff, Grand Desert
They will use whatever expires first. So if your pooled points expire in October but your use year is Jan 1, the system correctly used the pooled points first and the advice in the OP doesn't apply to your situation. This is for owners whose pooled points expire sometime in 2020 but can still move 2019 points into a future year.

OutSkiing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Midtown 45, Bali Hai, Margaritaville
We have 136k of those pooled points as well. They say they are for Use Year May 2017 - May 2020. I am trying to use them up on an August 2019 reservation by temporarily tying up my 2019 points except what I need over and above the 136K that I want drawn from the pool. But the system is telling me I don't have enough points! The points calculator says I DO have a few more than enough for travel on that date.

I can book an un-needed 2020 reservation that burns the pooled points but not a 2019 reservation.

Shouldn't this work?

Maybe I'll wait overnight and see if it works tomorrow.

Bob

Zeke_62

Reaction score
I am in that same situation. I chose to hold my Dec 2019 points in a reservation I will cancel later. Mainly because I have not decided whether to move them to 2020 or 2021.

OutSkiing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Midtown 45, Bali Hai, Margaritaville
Couldn't do a 2019 reservation with those points .. ended up booking a weekend in Chicago in 2020 to make use of the points.

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I managed to find a single booking for 370K which I am using as a temporary method to tie up points, which was the exact amount of my 2019 points remaining. I have so far made 7 reservations in 2019 that have chewed up a large portion, but not yet all, of my 325K Pooled points expiring in 2020. I still have over a 100K that I need to use by May 2020, but that is way better than the amount that I did have out there.

This method made it most flexible. I can deal with pooling points at the end of year, and see where I am sitting at that time.

Arb

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Sandy, thank you. I'm so glad I read your posting. I'm in so much trouble! I wish I'd taken action earlier to move my 2019 points to 2021.
I have to find "something" to do to use more than 700K pts by May 2020.

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sandy, thank you. I'm so glad I read your posting. I'm in so much trouble! I wish I'd taken action earlier to move my 2019 points to 2021.
I have to find "something" to do to use more than 700K pts by May 2020.

That is a chunk of points. You could do pretty much anything in Wyndham with that, you just have to decide WHAT!!

joestein

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wish they could bring back the credit pool. I understand it was abused by some.

Maybe we could just have the carryforward portion of the pool. No future points inclusion.

Baby Jane

Reaction score
I wish they could bring back the credit pool. I understand it was abused by some.

Maybe we could just have the carryforward portion of the pool. No future points inclusion.
How did people abuse credit pool? It was a benefit. I have mixed feelings about the changes. I liked 3 years to use but do like not depositing until December with new system. We do a lot of weekends some as late as December

joestein

TUG Member
Reaction score
How did people abuse credit pool? It was a benefit. I have mixed feelings about the changes. I liked 3 years to use but do like not depositing until December with new system. We do a lot of weekends some as late as December

From what I have read around this website, some mega-renters would buy a resale unit, put all the future points into the credit pool and sell the timeshare. This resulted in accounts with reservations worth millions of more points than specified in the contracts owned.

However, if they just allowed pooling going forward, not back, I dont see what the harm could be done.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
From what I have read around this website, some mega-renters would buy a resale unit, put all the future points into the credit pool and sell the timeshare. This resulted in accounts with reservations worth millions of more points than specified in the contracts owned.

However, if they just allowed pooling going forward, not back, I dont see what the harm could be done.
Even if it was free Why would anyone want a contract without points for 3 years?

joestein

TUG Member
Reaction score
Even if it was free Why would anyone want a contract without points for 3 years?
Maybe they didn't realize when they bought it. Maybe it was sold at $0 with costs paid by seller? Not sure.

It is possible that I misunderstand what happened.

Joe