• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

6 [Is their value in upgrading to 3 or 4?]

ccwu

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have resale Sheraton Desert Oasis Platinum one bedroom premiere and SVV Belle (67,100 SO points) We were able to exchanged the SDO to KORVN for a one bedroom. We are here now. We got our SVV Bella 67,100 just closed in February, 2019. Not able to use it yet.

We just took a owner’s update in KORVN today. This is our first ever update with Westin. Both my husband and I were very impressed with Dennis. He is knowledgeable and very helpful. He gave us a history of Westin, Marriott and their split of the hotels and timeshares. We took a tour to Nanea. He show us how to use the week and points... He asked us if we got call to convert to Flex... No, we did not answer any phone call which is not in our contact list. He told us not to convert to Flex, that is Marriott’s way to get us and we will loose our deed. He said Maui would be the last deeded properties that Marriott may come to deal with it in 3 to 4 years. But any owners got the deeded property, will grand father in and one can refuse to change to Flex and lost the deeded privilege. It was one of the best update we have in all timeshare. After Dennis, another sales person was trying to sell us Nanea, or KORV. She offer to bring our resale to the system if we purchase from developer. I remember that I read somewhere in TUG, that if we have more resale purchased, and all of the resale could be bring in and qualified for elite 3*, 4* or 5*. We have no ambition to be 5* or remotely to be 4*, but they showed us, we could be 3* since we have 67,100 plus SDO (currently, it is a week one bedroom, but it worth 44,000 points). But we decline all the offer to purchase of Nanea. We bought a explorer package for $1495 + $99. Committed to come back within 2 years for a 5 nights/6 days stay and go for a sales presentation..

We own HGV (elite premier), DRI (platinum member), BlueGreen (gold elite) and some VI and Wyndham... and fractions of ski resorts (two quarter share of Killington Grand resort, and Ridge Tahoe.. We just recently retired and busy skiing in the winter and traveling after ski season. We do like KORVN. We have a partial ocean view one bedroom and if we do want to buy resale, we want a ocean view. We travel mostly just by my husband and myself. We have one son and he is not married. He has his life and busy with his work and girl friend. We just leave him along and sometime let him use our timeshares with his friends.

We would like to have opinion on if there is value to upgrade to elite 3* or 4*. I browsed eBay trying to find staroption resale, but it seems most of the KORV are island view and every other year. Please advice what is the best way to search for resale and should I pay attention to points, or add ocean view to my criteria? It seems both ocean view and island view takes the same 148,100 for two bedroom. (The sales person do emphasize buy the two bedroom is the best choice.). By buying the Explorer package, they freezer our price for 12 months for The Westin Nanea Ocean villa. The below are the price offered.

Resort view. 0.425 (annual). 0.24 (biennial)
Ocean Front. 0.53 (annual). 0.3 (Biennial)

NiteMaire

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
I'm not a Westin owner, but I seriously considered buying one and researched the options. If you want 148.1K SOs, one option is to buy a 2BR Platinum Plus at Westin Kierland Villas. It'll cost between $13K-$16K. MFs are a little more than $1700 and you get 148.1K SOs that transfer with resale. You can then use the SOs to book your HI trip. Significantly cheaper buy in and MFs.

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
"By buying the Explorer package, they freezer our price for 12 months for The Westin Nanea Ocean villa. The below are the price offered.

Ocean Front. 0.53 (annual). 0.3 (Biennial
) "

Nanea is a voluntary resort, without star options. WKORV/N are mandatory resorts. Perhaps salesman Dennis is recommending 2 bdrm unit cause Nanea is predominantly 2 bdrm.

The prices you listed as decimals don't make sense. What are the units?

Also a SDO 1bdrm premium plat should be worth 81K star options, not 44K. 44K is for a gold plus season. So either salesman or you is mistaken on what you own. I suggest checking your deed.

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
For resale WKORV/N, many recommend Syed Sarmad, a Lahaina TS realtor. His company is Advantage Vacation. Other TS realtors may also have unadvertised listings. You can also check Redweek for resales.

The only benefit of 3* that I use, is the sep 30 deadline for banking unused star options. Otherwise the deadline is earlier in year in June.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
I'm not a Westin owner, but I seriously considered buying one and researched the options. If you want 148.1K SOs, one option is to buy a 2BR Platinum Plus at Westin Kierland Villas. It'll cost between $13K-$16K. MFs are a little more than $1700 and you get 148.1K SOs that transfer with resale. You can then use the SOs to book your HI trip. Significantly cheaper buy in and MFs.
Yes, but you can’t book until 8 months out. The owners booking at 12 months out may not leave you a great view

ccwu

TUG Member
Reaction score
"By buying the Explorer package, they freezer our price for 12 months for The Westin Nanea Ocean villa. The below are the price offered.

Ocean Front. 0.53 (annual). 0.3 (Biennial
) "

Nanea is a voluntary resort, without star options. WKORV/N are mandatory resorts. Perhaps salesman Dennis is recommending 2 bdrm unit cause Nanea is predominantly 2 bdrm.

The prices you listed as decimals don't make sense. What are the units?

Also a SDO 1bdrm premium plat should be worth 81K star options, not 44K. 44K is for a gold plus season. So either salesman or you is mistaken on what you own. I suggest checking your deed.

Thank you. I traded SDO here thru II to get a one bedroom in WKORVN partial ocean view. Our ownership in SDO is EY.

Got it. They quote me the price that we could get a ocean view unit in WKORV. We told him that We like WKORV better. They have more inventory in the south than north.

The Nanea is the only one has three bedrooms. It is better for larger group. Since that we only travel by two of us, Dennis said to get a two bedroom that we can either stay on or bedroom and studio for two weeks or rent out studio and stay at the one bedroom, to use the rental to cover maintenance fee. After I searched thru EBay and Redweek.com. I kind of feel may be it is more economical to rent from Redweek instead of buying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ccwu

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, but you can’t book until 8 months out. The owners booking at 12 months out may not leave you a great view

Ok. Now we decide to look into resale in Redweek for WKORV and WKORVN. Could you tell me the difference of the two resort?
I notice the 2 bedroom island view and ocean view have the same 148,100 SO points. Why it is the same points and MF. How do you know it is deeded ocean view. It seems the price is from 8,000 for island view to $50,000 for ocean view. The ocean front is 176,000 and some are cheaper than the ocean view. Just wonder why. It seems the MF for them are very close regardless of view. We would like ocean view or ocean front and wonder what selection is better. It seems Ocean front has more SO points and price is similar as ocean view. I understand that you can split the 2 bedroom to two weeks with one bedroom and studio. What is the reservation window if you split them?

Thanks.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lagunamar - Cancun
If you can swing it, get ocean front. Ocean view can be very disappointing

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Do you plan to visit every year? If not consider EOY. MF is too expensive to trade. If you buy an annual you can rent out non-visit years but a hassle.

Last edited:

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can reserve either side or both sides at the 12 month window when you own there. You can even reserve the whole unit and split it later on.

The maintenance fee is based on unit size, not view. The corner ocean fronts at WKORV are bigger than the center OF, and have a significantly higher maintenance fee. At WKORVN, all units are the same size, regardless of view, and should all have the same maintenance fee.

OF at WKORV is right by the boardwalk and looks at the ocean. At WKORVN, some of the units are behind the pool.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lagunamar - Cancun
Ok. Now we decide to look into resale in Redweek for WKORV and WKORVN. Could you tell me the difference of the two resort?
I notice the 2 bedroom island view and ocean view have the same 148,100 SO points. Why it is the same points and MF. How do you know it is deeded ocean view. It seems the price is from 8,000 for island view to $50,000 for ocean view. The ocean front is 176,000 and some are cheaper than the ocean view. Just wonder why. It seems the MF for them are very close regardless of view. We would like ocean view or ocean front and wonder what selection is better. It seems Ocean front has more SO points and price is similar as ocean view. I understand that you can split the 2 bedroom to two weeks with one bedroom and studio. What is the reservation window if you split them?

Thanks.

There have been volumes written about the difference between north and south. Personally, I like South because of the layout of the buildings. The resort is wide open and many rooms have quite a nice view of the ocean. The courtyard area is huge and the pool is very large. If you look at North, the resort buildings are in a zig-zag configuration and are much closer together. The views are obstructed, I call them "sliver views". Also, the pool is narrow. When I am there, I feel surrounded by these tall buildings, reminds me of a low income project in Philly. If I could, I'd go for an oceanfront in south. There are so many other things, too, like south has ovens and north does not.