• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Disney bans mega strollers and smoking in parks

RNCollins

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tradewinds, Divi, Quarter House, Casa Ybel
Disney bans mega strollers and smoking in parks
https://www.travelweekly.com/Travel-News/Hotel-News/Disney-bans-mega-strollers-and-smoking-in-parks

By Jamie Biesiada / Hotels / Travel Weekly / travelweekly.com / Mar 28, 2019

“Disney is banning smoking and large strollers from its theme parks and other areas this spring.

Effective May 1, there will no longer be any smoking areas inside Walt Disney World or Disneyland theme parks, water parks, the ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex or Downtown Disney District in Anaheim, Calif.

Smoking will still be permitted in designated areas outside the entrances to those locations, at Disney Springs in Orlando and at Disney hotels for guests with room or dining reservations.

Also effective May 1, strollers larger than 31 inches wide and 52 inches long will not be permitted, nor will stroller wagons.

Disney said the new guidelines will help ease congestion within the parks, and many strollers on the market today, including double jogging strollers, fit within the new requirements.

Disney rents single and double strollers. Double strollers are not currently available for rent at Disneyland, but that amenity will be introduced soon.

Additionally, guests are no longer allowed to bring loose ice and dry ice into Disney parks. Disney recommends reusable ice packs or requesting complimentary cups of ice at quick-service dining locations.”

23112BEB-446F-4531-935F-F5C13E5968C1.jpeg
Photo Credit: Matt Stroshane/Disney

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I was worried about this, but our double jogging stroller (which is huge) fits easily within those guidelines. I'm not sure there will be too many strollers affected by that, which means it isn't likely to eliminate much conjestion. Maybe the wagon thing will help.

MrockStar

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Awsome, finally one :cool:more place i can go thats smoke free with my grandkids.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
There's hardly any smoking areas left now, yet I still see people smoking all over the place. Never seen this rule enforced.

mj2vacation

Reaction score
There's hardly any smoking areas left now, yet I still see people smoking all over the place. Never seen this rule enforced.

We spend a lot of time in the parks and very rarely see anyone smoking outside of the designated areas.

In the few cases we have seen it, vape or smoke, if a cast member is around they are on it quick.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
The number of strollers in the parks is staggering. I know for a fact that our trips when the kids were little (Disneyland only) had very few strollers parked around. Our daughter was four our first trip. She had to walk, but occasionally she would ride Daddy's shoulders. The boys were 6 and 8, and they walked, too. They were so tired at the end of the day that they all fell asleep instantly in the queen bed they all shared at the hotel. I have pictures. They were so cute. We used to walk from the hotel, which was very close. Those were long days, but we were young and all up for it. We left the park halfway through the day and went back to the hotel, got lunch somewhere, swam a bit, then we were back at the park after 3-4 hours away. It was all day long. No strollers, no backpacks, just us. We didn't even take a cooler back then. I guess we didn't drink water, either!

ScottClan

Reaction score
Our double jogger and our regular joggers are both within the guidelines so they are clearly going after the REALLY huge strollers. Our double is fairly large but no trouble on the buses. I'm glad they're banning smoking and vaping. I hate walking through disgusting smelling mist that has just been exhaled from some idiot not following the rules.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lagunamar - Cancun
We spend a lot of time in the parks and very rarely see anyone smoking outside of the designated areas.

In the few cases we have seen it, vape or smoke, if a cast member is around they are on it quick.

Ever seen one in action? Not me!

kjsgrammy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Totally agree with above posters about the smoking not lessening up. Getting so tired of all the selfish people out there who truly believe "rules don't apply to me". We have annual passes to WDW and go quite often. I have NEVER seen a cast member reprimand someone for smoking where they shouldn't (have actually seen a cast member vaping on the ferry boat!). Though we haven't seen any of the wagons in parks this week, we have seen MANY of the huge strollers - just check out the "stroller parking areas". Hasn't reduced them in my opinion.

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
Totally agree with above posters about the smoking not lessening up. Getting so tired of all the selfish people out there who truly believe "rules don't apply to me". We have annual passes to WDW and go quite often. I have NEVER seen a cast member reprimand someone for smoking where they shouldn't (have actually seen a cast member vaping on the ferry boat!). Though we haven't seen any of the wagons in parks this week, we have seen MANY of the huge strollers - just check out the "stroller parking areas". Hasn't reduced them in my opinion.

Smoking shouldn't have been happening before, but I wouldn't expect the huge strollers to change. The allowable size for a stroller is still huge, so huge strollers are still allowed. My giant double stroller fits very comfortably within the guidelines, and it was the largest stroller I could find to purchase.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
IMHO, there should be a surcharge for every stroller based on size.
The space they take up in the parks & near attractions is staggering.
<apologies to parents w/rugrats>.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I understand the smoking policy, especially with infants, children and individuals with health problems visiting Disney. But I do not understand the huge stroller policy. What prompted this change?

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Strange... our parents - 5 kids - seem to manage without mega strollers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I understand the smoking policy, especially with infants, children and individuals with health problems visiting Disney. But I do not understand the huge stroller policy. What prompted this change?

I have a very big stroller and it is still under the new size limit. The new rules must be designed to limit carriers or wagons not actually designed to be strollers.

mega-stroller-for-men.jpg

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
I would love to see stroller lanes at the Disney World parks. It would cut down on the congestion the strollers cause immensely.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
And we managed Disney World with no stroller the times we visited when ours was little. It can be done!

Kurt

I did it starting when our now 7 year old granddaughter was an older three year old. I have a very bad back and couldn't carry her either. We have the cheapest Florida resident annual passes so I was never in a position of feeling like I had to maximize the day because of the ticket prices. We could set our own pace with no pressure to do it all and see it all. When we got tired I would find us a shady spot to sit and we would have a little snack like a cheese stick, a granola bar, an apple or an orange and more water. Then after a bathroom stop we would be ready to go again. Last year when my husband retired we got him a pass too. He hadn't been to Disney World since 1999. His comments about the sheer volume of strollers and the size of the strollers that fit two and three little kids can't be repeated in polite company but sure made me laugh. Watching parents pushing those heavily laden multiple child strollers on hot days and standing in ride or show lines holding sleeping or exhausted children elicits comments from him that their idea of a fun vacation certainly differs from his. We have very fond memories of the good times we and the two other families we shared a house with had on our Outer Banks beach vacations when all of our kids were growing up. And the other smaller trips we took too. Since he got his Disney pass he appreciates more than ever that his vacations when our son was little weren't spent like the families he sees at the Disney Parks. To each their own I tell him but I do secretly agree with him. He doesn't need any encouragement to grumble about going to the Disney Parks with our granddaughters. He's never liked waiting in lines after 6 years in the Navy when you waited in line for everything. He also wears hearing aids and crowded, noisy places make it more difficult for him to keep track of what is being said and going on around him.

However he is the first to tell people how great Legoland is for the younger kids. We just had our two granddaughters, one who will be 3 next month and the 7 year old, here for two weeks over Easter. Our Disney passes had all but one day of the girls stay blacked out but we also have Legoland passes that don't have any blackout dates. I don't always go with them when they go to Legoland. He packs the snacks, lunch and bottles of water while I put sunscreen on the girls, get them dressed, find their hats and get their swim stuff and extra clothes organized. We laugh that the hardest part of the day is getting them ready to go and out the door. People are amazed when they find out that at 69 years old he takes the girls on his own to Legoland for the day and they do the water park there too. He's given up trying to explain that Legoland is so much easier and more fun for the younger kids. The girls last full day with us was the one day we could go to Disney World and we went to Magic Kingdom. Thanks to the Fast Pass picks we were able to do a decent number of things in the 5-6 hours we were there but the 2 year old cried when she had to get off the rides after one ride and the lines were too long to get back in line. Papa told her that it wasn't like Legoland where she could stay on the same ride for several times or get back in line and catch the next turn. After the second ride and bout of tears she still wasn't happy about it but she accepted his explanation.

Last edited:

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a very big stroller and it is still under the new size limit. The new rules must be designed to limit carriers or wagons not actually designed to be strollers.

mega-stroller-for-men.jpg
That is one huge stroller and it is under the new size limit. Those strollers over the new size limit must double decker in height and width.:doh::doh:

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
That is one huge stroller and it is under the new size limit. Those strollers over the new size limit must double decker in height and width.:doh::doh:

Lol that’s not my stroller. That one I am sure is over the limit. Mine is a double but within the limits which is probably set to be ADA accessible. I think they are banning things that don’t fit in a single doorway or on one side of a sidewalk.

TheHolleys87

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II
Some of the new stroller rules were aimed at large wagons that are pulled behind the adult instead of being pushed in front of them. I haven’t been to WDW recently or kept up with online discussions but apparently some parents are being granted “medical exceptions” to the rule based on certain disabilities their children have. I think it will be a while before the situation stabilizes.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lagunamar - Cancun
Totally agree with above posters about the smoking not lessening up. Getting so tired of all the selfish people out there who truly believe "rules don't apply to me". We have annual passes to WDW and go quite often. I have NEVER seen a cast member reprimand someone for smoking where they shouldn't

Same problem not enforcing the rules at these time shares. I especially hate the people who ignore the NO GLASS AT THE POOL rule.

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
Strange... our parents - 5 kids - seem to manage without mega strollers.

They probably didn't have iPhones or GPS navigation either.

The way things used to be isn't the way they are now, in any aspect of life. That isn't only (or even especially) true of parenting.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
They probably didn't have iPhones or GPS navigation either.

The way things used to be isn't the way they are now, in any aspect of life. That isn't only (or even especially) true of parenting.

You mean like keeping up with the Joneses?
Or... increase in people behaving like they are more entitled?
Or... parenting like you are their best friend, and your kids should never know unhappiness or toughness?

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
You mean like keeping up with the Joneses?
Or... increase in people behaving like they are more entitled?
Or... parenting like you are their best friend, and your kids should never know unhappiness or toughness?

People complaining about how things are so much worse than the good old days is literally as old as human civilization. As just one example from thousands of years ago:

In Ecclesiastes 7:10, Solomon admonishes that "Do not say, 'Why were the old days better than these'..."

Lisa P

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Points
The number of strollers in the parks is staggering.
I think the number of PEOPLE in the parks is staggering. Few strollers in smaller crowds => no problem. Lots of strollers in bigger crowds => ankle bruises and tripped people. Same problem with adult scooters driven by people who aren't used to them, in heavy crowds. :( Both the strollers and the scooters enhance vacationers' visits. It's become a more noticeable problem in such crowded parks, IMO.

...when the kids were little (Disneyland only)... It was all day long. No strollers, no backpacks, just us.
Single day sprints through a smaller park like Disneyland can be like that. Most people visiting Disney World on vacation are running a 5-7 day marathon through 4 spread out parks. It's just too much to keep everyone in good spirits (both the very young & those much older), without the aid of strollers & scooters.

I would love to see stroller lanes at the Disney World parks. It would cut down on the congestion the strollers cause immensely.
What a great idea!!!