• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Second Molokai Trip of 2019

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
I am almost sure that we paid $17.50 per plate for the fresh catch of the day (there was a sign on the counter). We had to check first if we still had enough money with us and we did for the food and tip.

Thank goodness a bank was very close by to get some more cash to have enough for the additional days.

The fresh fish was the best we had on the three Islands this year because we didn’t go to Mama’s Fish House in Maui. Their catch is also very fresh but their prices are a lot higher but it is a beautiful spot and with excellent service.

I was afraid that you couldn’t use the camcorder tonight but you still have a few days left so there is a chance to get another clear night.

I wasn’t clear on the catch of the day. I was more referring to Hiro’s and Paddlers Inn. Maka’s and Ono Fish and Shrimp would be cheaper like Taffy19 said.

I’ll have to take out the garbage tonight so I walk down and check if I can see the lights then. It’s cloudy but I can still see Maui so it may work. Otherwise like you said I have a few days left.

Maka’s does take cards. I have a hard time remembering who does and who doesn’t it it seems like most do. But there are definitely some that don’t like the CookHouse.

We did open a Bank of Hawaii account since we bought the condo. Our rental income is direct deposited in there. It’s nice because we can transfer money from our Wisconsin Credit Union to that account for free. It makes it a free and easy to grab cash when needed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Xan

taffy19

Reaction score
I wasn’t clear on the catch of the day. I was more referring to Hiro’s and Paddlers Inn. Maka’s and Ono Fish and Shrimp would be cheaper like Taffy19 said.

I’ll have to take out the garbage tonight so I walk down and check if I can see the lights then. It’s cloudy but I can still see Maui so it may work. Otherwise like you said I have a few days left.

Maka’s does take cards. I have a hard time remembering who does and who doesn’t it it seems like most do. But there are definitely some that don’t like the CookHouse.

We did open a Bank of Hawaii account since we bought the condo. Our rental income is direct deposited in there. It’s nice because we can transfer money from our Wisconsin Credit Union to that account for free. It makes it free and easy to grab cash when needed.
We were at two places where they normally take credit cards but the cc machines were broken.

We paid cash here because we had to both pay the bill to have enough. The other one was at a little store but I don’t remember the name anymore.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
We were at two places where they normally take credit cards but the cc machines were broken.

We paid cash here because we had to both pay the bill to have enough. The other one was at a little store but I don’t remember the name anymore.

I haven’t had that happen yet but we have been a few places where things weren’t available because they didn’t come over on the barge. :)

taffy19

Reaction score
I haven’t had that happen yet but we have been a few places where things weren’t available because they didn’t come over on the barge. :)
What would you do without barges? You couldn’t live so far away from the mainland.

If you order smaller items from Amazon or other stores how do they ship it to you? Do you have FedEx service?

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
What would you do without barges? You couldn’t live so far away from the mainland.

If you order smaller items from Amazon or other stores how do they ship it to you? Do you have FedEx service?

Yes, UPS and FedEx and not just for small items. We ordered our Lanai furniture from Amazon and they delivered it free with Prime. It took ten days, not bad. Sounds like Sam’s Club on Maui ships free too, plus Costco. Just takes more planning.

Makani Kai, the small airline that we took on this trip is starting a service. You go online and choose from the available restaurants on Oahu and Maui. You place your order and the food will be taken to the airport. Then Makani Kai will fly it over on the next flight. Then you just pick it up at the airport. Makani Kai is doing it for free but there is a charge to get it delivered from the restaurant to the airport. We’ll see how that goes over. :)

I was able to get a video of the lights tonight. It’s not as good as I had hoped but you should be able to see it. I had to figure out how to put the camera in night mode but I got it. The lights didn’t show until I zoomed it about three quarters. I have to download it before I can put the link on here.:thumbup:

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Here’s the night video showing the lights of Maui from WaveCrest. Not as good as I hoped but you’ll get the idea. These lights are visible with the naked eye. I put my camcorder on night mode and it didn’t pick them up until I was at about three quarters zoom.

I mentioned that I was going to pan over to show Lanai but there is no lights over there. Then I was thinking that on Maui they might not see much over here in Molokai. I think I did look while I was at Kihei and I don’t remember seeing anything.:)

taffy19

Reaction score
Here’s the night video showing the lights of Maui from WaveCrest. Not as good as I hoped but you’ll get the idea. These lights are visible with the naked eye. I put my camcorder on night mode and it didn’t pick them up until I was at about three quarters zoom.

I mentioned that I was going to pan over to show Lanai but there is no lights over there. Then I was thinking that on Maui they might not see much over here in Molokai. I think I did look while I was at Kihei and I don’t remember seeing anything.:)

You should be able to see them with your naked eye even if it is not a very clear night.

I wonder what the very bright light is on the right and the one on the left may be a cruise ship in the Lahaina harbor because it is further away from the shoreline?

I never saw any lights on Molokai from the Maui Ocean Club but you may see them from the Westin Resorts?

We are often here when the moon is full and I have seen the Island of Lanai visible at night from our Lanai and the reflection of the moon on the ocean too. These are the memories that you will never forget.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You should be able to see them with your naked eye even if it is not a very clear night.

I wonder what the very bright light is on the right and the one on the left may be a cruise ship in the Lahaina harbor because it is further away from the shoreline?

I never saw any lights on Molokai from the Maui Ocean Club but you may see them from the Westin Resorts?

We are often here when the moon is full and I have seen the Island of Lanai visible at night from our Lanai and the reflection of the moon on the ocean too. These are the memories that you will never forget.

Yes, we can see the lights with our naked eye easily. My battery went out on my wireless mic so the sound cut out after a little bit. I may try again tonight.

I was wondering what that bright light was too? I can see a lot of the lights right from my lanai. :thumbup:

It was hard to pickup what I could see with my eyes and try to get that on the camera.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Do most of the restaurants you mentioned a few posts ago take credit cards, or are they cash only?

Yes, I’ll go through a few.

Takes credit Cards

Maka’s Corner
Sundown Deli
Hiro’s
Paddlers Inn
Molokai Burger
Ono Fish and Shrimp
Dave’s Hawaiian Ice Cream

Don’t take Cards

Molokai Pizza
The Cookhouse
Goods and Grindz

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
My wife is having her bowl of Saimin with Shrimp Dumplings from Maka’s Corner for breakfast this morning. I’m having a piece of my Molokai Hot Bread with Guava and cream cheese.

072AD12D-2C0F-4CB2-B5D7-EB0DD7AB3C7C.jpeg
31E6FDB9-557E-45DE-BE12-4A19B13C85F4.jpeg

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have a friend coming back to the Lanai every day for some Molokai Bread. :)

B05D7953-7BF6-4EDE-AC57-509E5CD3E671.jpeg

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Gorgeous day to hang around by the Pool/Cabana. I got my lapse in the pool done so now I can relax.

I realtor brought by a couple looking at a unit here. I let them in the pool area and the guy had a lot of questions for me. I talked to the couple after the realtor had left too. They are going to come back in the evening too. I should get a commission on this one. :)

9FB42F20-1BC8-40E3-8669-871487C0EC4E.jpeg

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
It’s pictures like this that really reaffirm how beautiful nature is. It’s so nice to just sit outside and watch all the wonderful things going on around you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I knew you’d know. :)

They're first cousins to the Indian Mynahs pet stores used to sell. The shiny black ones. Common Mynahs have dull feathers, but the same capacity for speech. They make a zillion sounds, and are kind of interesting to watch. They are everywhere in Hawaii.

Dave

PcflEZFlng

TUG Member
Reaction score
Then I was thinking that on Maui they might not see much over here in Molokai. I think I did look while I was at Kihei and I don’t remember seeing anything.:)

While staying at Nipili some years ago, one night I stared across the water at Molokai to see if I could see any lights. I was able to spot two lonely sets of headlights that would appear and disappear as the cars went around bends in the road. That was all I could see!

BTW, I've been really enjoying your posts and videos, slip.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
While staying at Nipili some years ago, one night I stared across the water at Molokai to see if I could see any lights. I was able to spot two lonely sets of headlights that would appear and disappear as the cars went around bends in the road. That was all I could see!

BTW, I've been really enjoying your posts and videos, slip.

Thank You, I enjoy posting. I do some posts on a blog on my website too. I had someone contact me today and rented the whole month of February 2020. :thumbup:
And he’s from Green Bay Wisconsin. :)

Yep, that’s what I remember about looking over to Molokai.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Starting off with a Li Hing Mui Margarita and a Hawaii Sunset at Hiro’s.

83B19416-2D89-4AE7-892C-A56783CBFBB5.jpeg

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
Starting off with a Li Hing Mui Margarita and a Hawaii Sunset at Hiro’s.

View attachment 11849

Poor slip....roughing it in Molokai.... Working 4 more years huh? Yep. I see the house in WI sold along with the other belongings to acquire $$$ to last you until you can get that 401k.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Poor slip....roughing it in Molokai.... Working 4 more years huh? Yep. I see the house in WI sold along with the other belongings to acquire $$$ to last you until you can get that 401k.

Well there’s always my wife’s 401k, she can touch hers without penalty........:)

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
Small price to pay to be a beach bum calling your buddies in WI in the dead of winter telling them the current temperature in Molokai....

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Small price to pay to be a beach bum calling your buddies in WI in the dead of winter telling them the current temperature in Molokai....

Heck, they are already tired of that. :)

In reality the issue is with healthcare. Paying for that until Medicare will be tough.