• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Charleston first visit

gjhardt

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Monarch
booked at Church street inn for 3 nights but having second thoughts because no pool any other suggestions in historic district

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
booked at Church street inn for 3 nights but having second thoughts because no pool any other suggestions in historic district

Why do you need a pool when there is so much to do and see in CHS plus beaches nearby? The Church Street Inn and the Lodge Alley Inn are timeshares in great locations in the Historic District.

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
You will probably spend all three days just exploring Charleston. It's an easy walking city. Read up on restaurants. If you want to venture out of the historic district, take a look at one of the nearby beaches and historic plantations.

talkamotta

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
You can easily spend 3 days in Charleson. That's perfect. I usually end up going to Hilton Head just so I can do day trips to Charleston and Savanah.

travs2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Charleston is a wonderful place to explore. There are so many fabulous restaurants and places of interest. Visiting Rainbow Row is a throw back in time and a walk down by the water and Pineapple fountain area is very special. You can go to the Visitor Centre and decide on a tour of the area either by small van or horse and wagon.......we did a combined van/historical home tour BUT the home we were directed to tour was a waste of time and money. The van tour was great but the docents in the home were not very friendly at all ( I thought Southerners were friendly) and they appeared not interested in their job. They did not create an atmosphere in which one felt comfortable to ask questions. We were all ready to just get out of that house. Charleston market is a fun place to stroll and find “treasures”.....very touristy so don’t look for a bargains. Visit a nearby beach if you want a beach day. Enjoy you will love it!

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Begin with a carriage tour from the City Market area. Then walk. Visit the Nathaniel Russell house on Meeting St and purchase tickets for the Aiken-Rhett house at the same time for a discount. One, the Russell house, has been restored to its glory. The other, sits with original wallpaper peeling, carriages still in carriage house, etc. Fascinating! Take one day to visit one of the these plantations: Drayton, Magnolia, or Middleton. Visit the Angel Oak on John's Island, it's free and amazing! Folly Beach, Sullivan's Island, or Isle of Palms for beaches.

Good restaurants near the Church St Inn are Sweetwater (breakfast), Hanks Seafood, Fleet Landing, Carmella's Bakery, Slightly North of Broad, Magnolia, Blossom, Tradd's, Pearlz, Minero (Mexican), Brown Dog Deli ....I could go on and on but those are walkable.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
....snip...BUT the home we were directed to tour was a waste of time and money. The van tour was great but the docents in the home were not very friendly at all ( I thought Southerners were friendly) and they appeared not interested in their job. They did not create an atmosphere in which one felt comfortable to ask questions. We were all ready to just get out of that house....snip...!

Not sure what house you were directed to. The one I personally would avoid is the Calhoun Mansion. As for docents, many are not from the South. Don't judge Southerners by docents. When the city is crowded with tourists and so many are lined up waiting to walk through the docents are instructed to cut it short.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Not sure what house you were directed to. The one I personally would avoid is the Calhoun Mansion. As for docents, many are not from the South. Don't judge Southerners by docents. When the city is crowded with tourists and so many are lined up waiting to walk through the docents are instructed to cut it short.

Good point, Glynda, I was going to say the same thing----- people should NOT assume the docents are from the South.
There's no good reason for anyone to have an attitude in that job, and I find it highly atypical.

linpat

TUG Member
Reaction score
I completely agree with Glynda because I’ve found Charlestonians to be hospitable and welcoming to visitors. Maybe the docents were Yankee transplants.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Good point, Glynda, I was going to say the same thing----- people should NOT assume the docents are from the South.
There's no good reason for anyone to have an attitude in that job, and I find it highly atypical.

I completely agree with Glynda because I’ve found Charlestonians to be hospitable and welcoming to visitors. Maybe the docents were Yankee transplants.

I don't know if Travs2 was posting of a museum home, one open daily to the public, or of an annual tour event like The Historic Charleston Foundation's Festival of Homes & Gardens, which is held every Spring or the Preservation Society's annual fall tours. Both are mainly private homes & gardens and are manned by volunteer docents. The museum homes have a mixture of volunteer and paid docents.

Having been a docent for the Historic Charleston Foundation's annual event off and on since 1986, I can say that my personal experience has been that the majority of the docents are not from Charleston originally, myself included. Most I have worked with are from the North, myself not included. Women, mainly, but some men, who have moved/retired here because it's a beautiful historic city with much to offer, rarely snows, has seasonal changes, beaches, and is closer to home. Volunteering has a lot of benefits. We get to meet people and make new friends. We receive training, written materials and attend free lectures. We are allowed inside a private historic home, get to meet & talk to the owners and see areas of the house which aren't usually open on the tour and then share it with others. We receive a free guided historical walking tour, a free ticket for another four hour tour during the festival, free admission for one month to many attractions in the area and a discount at the Foundation's store. True, some docents are better at engaging visitors than others, but I've never encountered a rude or uninterested volunteer docent, no matter where they are from. I can't even say I've encountered a rude paid docent in Charleston. Now rude visitors, that's a different story! There are numerous incidents I could tell from my own experiences as a docent! o_O

I really hate that Travs2 had that experience and i would like to know where it happened. Travs2 paid for a tour in a city known for its hospitality and there is no excuse for rude or uninterested docents!

beejaybeeohio

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Best Place in the US to see the April 2024 Eclipse
Resorts Owned
Peekn'Peak's Greenwood Forest NY
For a unique restaurant experience, try R Kitchen on Rutledge. No menu- just what the chefs decide to prepare based on their fish and farmer market finds.

Also, not too far from Charleston itself are numerous plantations- Middleton for its authenticity and Magnolia for its experiences beyond the plantation itself.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
For a unique restaurant experience, try R Kitchen on Rutledge. No menu- just what the chefs decide to prepare based on their fish and farmer market finds.

Also, not too far from Charleston itself are numerous plantations- Middleton for its authenticity and Magnolia for its experiences beyond the plantation itself.

Haven't tried R Kitchen yet and, yikes, it's almost five years old! So many opening and closing, it's hard to get to them all.

My favorite of the three plantations on HWY 61/Ashley River Road is Drayton Hall for its presentation. It has been in the Drayton-Hastie family since the late 1600's. The magnificent Palladian plantation house has never been restored, only preserved, and stands empty. But what a story it tells! Of the three plantation houses (Drayton, Magnolia & Middleton), Drayton is the only one that wasn't burned and pillaged by Union troops at the end of the Civil War. One theory is that Dr Drayton placed a smallpox warning at the entrance. Disease killed more soldiers than bullets so no one wanted to enter and it was saved. http://www.draytonhall.org

I love Middleton Plantation when it is in bloom. Its grounds are fabulous. But Magnolia Plantation's little known Audubon Swamp is where we love to get away and walk. One begins on a boardwalk over swampy areas and finally reaches dikes around what used to be inland rice fields. Picture big rectangles of dark water framed with somewhat wide dikes to walk on...one after another. There are Cypress trees growing out in the water and in April & May you can see wild Iris on the edge of banks and numerous Herons' and Egrets' nests in the Cypress trees. These present great photo opportunities especially when the nestlings are peeking over to top of, or standing in, the nests. You can wander as far back along the dikes or into the woods (60 acres) as you wish. Just be sure to wear closed-in shoes, leave your dog at home, keep your eyes open, and remember to run in a ZIG ZAG pattern when a gator is chasing you!!!! :thumbup::thumbup: http://www.magnoliaplantation.com/swamp_garden.html

beejaybeeohio

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Best Place in the US to see the April 2024 Eclipse
Resorts Owned
Peekn'Peak's Greenwood Forest NY
We have been to Drayton! I think I confused it with Middleton as it was several years ago that we were there. A docent there who discussed slavery used the term "enslaved people"- a description I've never forgotten

Headed for a surprise visit to celebrate DD & her DH's 25th anniversary next weekend. Pre-surprise we are spending 2 nights in Murrell's Inlet, our first time there.

Our Ohio next-door neighbor's brother is the owner of R Kitchen!

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We have been to Drayton! I think I confused it with Middleton as it was several years ago that we were there. A docent there who discussed slavery used the term "enslaved people"- a description I've never forgotten

Headed for a surprise visit to celebrate DD & her DH's 25th anniversary next weekend. Pre-surprise we are spending 2 nights in Murrell's Inlet, our first time there.

Our Ohio next-door neighbor's brother is the owner of R Kitchen!

Middleton has the butterfly shaped garden that sweeps down to the water.

As a docent for the Historic Foundation's Annual Tour of Homes & Gardens, we were instructed to say "enslaved people" three years ago. Drayton's guides usually are seeking graduate degrees in preservation, arts and history. They have to go into the actual archives on site, read the letters and journals, etc., to prepare their own talks. As many times as I've been, I'm always fascinated.

Murrell's Inlet could be fun! The author Pat Conroy lived there for some time. I've never stayed there but ride the loop through from time to time. I've stayed at Litchfield or Pawley's Island and also around Myrtle Beach. Hope you have a good time and good food!

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.

travs2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Charleston is the most wonderful place to visit, shop and enjoy the many great culinary experiences. Our next trip will be in October and I can hardly wait for this return visit. On our last trip we went to the Visitor Centre and signed up for a combination van/house tour. They didn’t mention which house but I was just excited to see the beauty of one of these homes. Our van tour guide dropped us off at the Joseph Manigault House. So this was the home we “toured” and really didn’t have another choice on that particular day. As I mentioned the house docents were not very good and we thought it was a real waste of time and money. Perhaps in October we will sign up to do one of the other home tours that have been mentioned in the above comments. Also, thanks for the many other restaurant suggestions and activities. I can’t wait for our return visit because every other person we encountered besides the house docents were extremely friendly and welcoming.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Charleston is the most wonderful place to visit, shop and enjoy the many great culinary experiences. Our next trip will be in October and I can hardly wait for this return visit. On our last trip we went to the Visitor Centre and signed up for a combination van/house tour. They didn’t mention which house but I was just excited to see the beauty of one of these homes. Our van tour guide dropped us off at the Joseph Manigault House. So this was the home we “toured” and really didn’t have another choice on that particular day. As I mentioned the house docents were not very good and we thought it was a real waste of time and money. Perhaps in October we will sign up to do one of the other home tours that have been mentioned in the above comments. Also, thanks for the many other restaurant suggestions and activities. I can’t wait for our return visit because every other person we encountered besides the house docents were extremely friendly and welcoming.

I'm sorry you experienced that. The Manigualt House and the Heyward-Washington (George slept there) House are owned by the Charleston Museum. I suspect that the docents are paid. Neither are homes I would recommend for a first or second time visit. There are better ones. Still, their history runs deep and some fine original CHS furniture is within.

travs2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Glynda....thanks for your great tips. They are very much appreciated. Where would you buy tickets to tour the Nathanial Russell house and the Aiken-Rhett house? Also, I wanted to mention that there is a free bus ride that you can take from Charleston Market back to the Visitor Centre that was great after a long day of walking around the city. We had the best gumbo at a little place called Jestine’s on Meeting Street on our last trip.....so good. And a few years ago we ate at Hanks and it was so delicious. Always looking for new restaurants to try for our next trip so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Glynda....thanks for your great tips. They are very much appreciated. Where would you buy tickets to tour the Nathanial Russell house and the Aiken-Rhett house? Also, I wanted to mention that there is a free bus ride that you can take from Charleston Market back to the Visitor Centre that was great after a long day of walking around the city. We had the best gumbo at a little place called Jestine’s on Meeting Street on our last trip.....so good. And a few years ago we ate at Hanks and it was so delicious. Always looking for new restaurants to try for our next trip so any suggestions would be appreciated.

You can buy them online here https://www.historiccharleston.org/house-museums/ However, for groups under 12, that doesn't guarantee a day or time. I always recommend starting with the Nathaniel Russel House on Meeting St. South of Broad. Whichever you choose to start with, buy tickets to both houses at the same time for a discount. I would tour the Russell House upon purchase and go to the Aiken-Rhett a different day. The Aiken-Rhett is close to the Visitor's Center on upper Meeting St. If the weather is warm, a morning visit to the Aiken-Rhett would be advisable as it is not air-conditioned with the exception of the art gallery. The Russell house is a guided tour and the Aiken-Rhett gives you head sets and you go at your own pace.

Also, since you said you will be there in October, take a look at: https://www.preservationsociety.org/falltours/. The Preservation Society of Charleston will hold their annual Fall tours (mostly private homes & gardens) from October 3 to 27.

I am familiar with the hop on hop-off free Dash Trolley. It's a great resource!

Jestine's almost always has a line and we've eaten there twice. It's been a long time though. We decided that it is not for us since we were raised on Southern cooking and my mama's is better! :) I'm glad that you enjoyed your gumbo but Jestine's and Hyman's are on my list of "tourist traps." Hanks was a great choice! This is a good site to check out Charleston eats. https://charleston.eater.com

Send me a PM and we might be able to get together!

gjhardt

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Monarch
We had a great time, thanks to so many suggestions. We stayed at Church Street Inn and saw several homes, Fort Sumter and fantastic meals,