• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Wade

Reaction score
Looking for some advice. I’m considering buying into a legacy platinum week at Marriott Grande Vista. 3 bedroom every other year. Plan is to use 2 bedroom unit and exchange the lock off portion on II for use on my off years(I think I would be exchanging a studio?).

Is this a good plan? Would the lock off portion exchange well on II and for my 2 bedrooom can I easily exchange for other 2 bedroom Marriott resorts. If exchanging for other Marriott resorts and do I have to it through II?

Appreciate any help. I’ve not owned a timeshare before and trying to do my homework. I’ve got a wife and 2 kids under 5 and trying to find the best way to provide vacation for the fam.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Looking for some advice. I’m considering buying into a legacy platinum week at Marriott Grande Vista. 3 bedroom every other year. Plan is to use 2 bedroom unit and exchange the lock off portion on II for use on my off years(I think I would be exchanging a studio?).

Is this a good plan? Would the lock off portion exchange well on II and for my 2 bedrooom can I easily exchange for other 2 bedroom Marriott resorts. If exchanging for other Marriott resorts and do I have to it through II?

Appreciate any help. I’ve not owned a timeshare before and trying to do my homework. I’ve got a wife and 2 kids under 5 and trying to find the best way to provide vacation for the fam.

Q: Is this a good plan?
A: If it fits your needs

Q:Would the lock off portion exchange well on II?
A:Studios do not generally exchange well on II but it depends on what you are after. Short notice into a 2BR shoulder season Orlando? Definitely. One year out request for a 2BR upgrade into prime time at low quantity location? Almost never.

Q: ...my 2 bedrooom can I easily exchange for other 2 bedroom Marriott resorts?
A:Yes but it depends on availability. Prime Ski Weeks and prime Spring beach weeks are always very difficult. Other than super prime it is very easy to exchange a 2BR for other 2BR weeks.

Q:If exchanging for other Marriott resorts and do I have to it through II?
A:Yes unless your unit is a member of the Florida Club. In that case you can book directly at 6 months out into Ocean Pointe, Beach Place Towers, Legend's Edge, and Villas at Doral. It is not an exchange but a direct booking into a "Sister Resort".

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score

We own a couple of lock off units, not at Grande Vista, but at Grand Chateau and Playa Andaluza.
Yes, you do have to go through II to exchange for other MVC resorts.
Our weeks (whole villa or Master suite) still trade well through II to other MVC resorts, albeit confirmations tend to be later than in the past.
The lock off guest suites though have been exchanging less well over the last couple of years.
Hopefully someone can comment specifically about Grande Vista lock offs?

4Sunsets

Reaction score
You trade the lockoff in as a studio, once it is there, the current II system does not care whether your studio is in Hawaii or Oklahoma. It is treated the same (though I suspect this will change as other properties get privileged access and such based on locations/points value and a Hawaii studio is worth 10X an Okie studio).

Back to the point though, in the current system you will do well trading in the studio. We've done this, but finding inventory you want is difficult and sometimes you end up having to pay for a time extension.

It's also worth noting the II fees just keep rising. If you want a 1-bedroom or 2-bedroom, you'll need to pay $99 / $198 then another fee because you opted for a different type room. The total cost to us for going to a 2-bedroom ended up at $496 by the time all the fees were worked in.

This is also specific to MARRIOTT trade ins, not others. Your Marriott trade gets some preferential treatment into other Marriots currenttly.

Wade

Reaction score
We own a couple of lock off units, not at Grande Vista, but at Grand Chateau and Playa Andaluza.
Yes, you do have to go through II to exchange for other MVC resorts.
Our weeks (whole villa or Master suite) still trade well through II to other MVC resorts, albeit confirmations tend to be later than in the past.
The lock off guest suites though have been exchanging less well over the last couple of years.
Hopefully someone can comment specifically about Grande Vista lock offs?

So you haven’t had any issues exchanging your Grande Chatue? I was considering buying in there as the MFs are low and the lock off for a 3 bedroom converts to a 1 bedroom and 2 bedroom. I would rarely if ever go to Vegas so I would always be exchanging. I was advised Vegas doesn’t exchange as well and with the ability to book at sister resorts Grand Vista was a better/more flexible option.

What are your thoughts as a Grand Chatue owner?

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
i started a reply but after reading saintsfanfl’s reply I’m just going to say I agree.

I’ll add I’ve had great success exchanging my gold season 2 br FL Marriott lock off on ii for years. While our kids were in school and we travelled during school breaks I placed requests far in advance (8-12 months- easy to do since we knew the school schedule) and I routinely exchanged into higher tdi weeks and larger units.

I’ve had good luck exchanging my studio for larger units, but I usually do so during shoulder/low season. I just exchanged my studio for a 2 br at Grande Vista for this January.

I think it’s really hard to answer “is this good” because everyone’s plans, needs and expectations are different- and changing over time. For us owning our TS was great for our growing family. Not every trip we have taken has been a TS trip, but we have been to HI twice, Disney Paris, Arizona, California, FL many times, Aruba, St. Thomas etc.

Sometimes the best part was it forced us to take a vacation so we didn’t waste the week. And now that the kids are in college they are still happy to come join us on St. Kitts for their break.

4Sunsets

Reaction score
Um, the II system (as it currently) exists does NOT care where your unit is located. Buyer beware, however, Marriott bought II and other properties it bought have completely different and IMHO more honest rules. Those rules as an example: value your trade as points, and then give you the same value back for use. Much more fair, especially if you say put in a $399 a night hawaii studio platinum/summer unit vs a silver winter season grande vista studio.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Um, the II system (as it currently) exists does NOT care where your unit is located. Buyer beware, however, Marriott bought II and other properties it bought have completely different and IMHO more honest rules. Those rules as an example: value your trade as points, and then give you the same value back for use. Much more fair, especially if you say put in a $399 a night hawaii studio platinum/summer unit vs a silver winter season grande vista studio.
Never heard of this.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
So you're saying that a two bedroom Orlando Marriott has the same trade power as a two bedroom Hawaii unit? If owners of those two types put their exchange requests in and the Orlando was first in line, they would get the trade first when something came through?

Last edited:

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
So you haven’t had any issues exchanging your Grande Chatue? I was considering buying in there as the MFs are low and the lock off for a 3 bedroom converts to a 1 bedroom and 2 bedroom. I would rarely if ever go to Vegas so I would always be exchanging. I was advised Vegas doesn’t exchange as well and with the ability to book at sister resorts Grand Vista was a better/more flexible option.

I believe that Grand Chateau exchanges extremely well and I have heard other owners say similar.
We have owned there since 2007 and have yet to stay there.
We have a 2 Bed lock off and on reflection we should have bought a 3 Bed lock off but hey ho.
However, we have locked off and exchanged both the Master and Guest suites for other MVC resorts for 10 years, often getting a unit size upgrade with the Guest suite (even once to a 3 Bed unit)
Our week is enrolled, as we bought it from Marriott directly on a special deal at the time, so it also has a very reasonable points allocation 3275 and we have elected it for points for the last 2 years.

NiteMaire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies

I also own a 3BR MGC unit. I've had absolutely no issues exchanging my unit. I've heard the same concern about the trading power, but I've yet to see the statement/concern supported by facts. My experience has shown that MGC is a great trader. We're empty nesters and aren't tied to a school schedule so we have flexibility. You'll notice a lot trades in April; DW's birthday is in April so we usually around that time. Here are my recent exchanges in the last few years:

MGC 1BR Exchanges:
2BR Waiohai in April
2BR Frenchman's Cove in December
2BR Summit Watch in April
2BR Newport Coast Villas in September

MGC 2BR Exchanges:
2BR Ko Olina 2X April, 1X March
2BR Barony Beach in April

We're happy...I could have probably received some of the 2BR exchanges with my 1BR, but I usually use the 1BR first. I don't recall a time yet when I saw a unit with my 2BR that I couldn't exchange into with my 1BR. In addition to the above, I've seen available exchanges into Maui Ocean Club, Kauai Beach Club, Grande Ocean, Aruba Surf, Aruba Ocean, St Kitts, Summit Watch, MoutainSide, Tahoe, and all Orlando Marriotts including Lakeshore Reserve just to name a few.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Grande Chateau and Grande Vista are both excellent traders; you do get a lot of bang for the buck when you buy these weeks on the resale market.

The advantage of Grande Vista is that "if" your unit is a member of the Florida Club then you will have other reservation options other than your home resort. Of course Interval International is also always an option.

Don't let the thoughts of trading your Studio scare you away; I recently traded a studio via Interval International into a Two Bedroom Villa at Marriott's BeachPlace Tower by paying an upgrade fee. Well worth it in my opinion!

If you do buy an EOY Two Bedroom Lockoff Villa, you can enjoy a two bedroom villa each and every year if you use the strategy that I used outlined in the previous paragraph.

Best of luck in your purchase decision....

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
So you're saying that a two bedroom Orlando Marriott has the same trade power as a two bedroom Hawaii unit? If owners of those two types put their exchange requests in and the Orlando was first in line, they would get the trade first when something came through?
I think 4sunsets was referring specifically to studios, but your comments still apply IMO. Never heard that all studios trade the same.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is treated the same (though I suspect this will change as other properties get privileged access
what do you mean by this?

Wade

Reaction score
Grande Chateau and Grande Vista are both excellent traders; you do get a lot of bang for the buck when you buy these weeks on the resale market.

The advantage of Grande Vista is that "if" your unit is a member of the Florida Club then you will have other reservation options other than your home resort. Of course Interval International is also always an option.

Don't let the thoughts of trading your Studio scare you away; I recently traded a studio via Interval International into a Two Bedroom Villa at Marriott's BeachPlace Tower by paying an upgrade fee. Well worth it in my opinion!

If you do buy an EOY Two Bedroom Lockoff Villa, you can enjoy a two bedroom villa each and every year if you use the strategy that I used outlined in the previous paragraph.

Best of luck in your purchase decision....

How much did you have to pay for the upgrade fee?

Wade

Reaction score
I also own a 3BR MGC unit. I've had absolutely no issues exchanging my unit. I've heard the same concern about the trading power, but I've yet to see the statement/concern supported by facts. My experience has shown that MGC is a great trader. We're empty nesters and aren't tied to a school schedule so we have flexibility. You'll notice a lot trades in April; DW's birthday is in April so we usually around that time. Here are my recent exchanges in the last few years:

MGC 1BR Exchanges:
2BR Waiohai in April
2BR Frenchman's Cove in December
2BR Summit Watch in April
2BR Newport Coast Villas in September

MGC 2BR Exchanges:
2BR Ko Olina 2X April, 1X March
2BR Barony Beach in April

We're happy...I could have probably received some of the 2BR exchanges with my 1BR, but I usually use the 1BR first. I don't recall a time yet when I saw a unit with my 2BR that I couldn't exchange into with my 1BR. In addition to the above, I've seen available exchanges into Maui Ocean Club, Kauai Beach Club, Grande Ocean, Aruba Surf, Aruba Ocean, St Kitts, Summit Watch, MoutainSide, Tahoe, and all Orlando Marriotts including Lakeshore Reserve just to name a few.

Thank you for the post, this is extremely helpful.

Have you ever tried to exchange for Hilton Head in the summer?

Wade

Reaction score
Thank you everyone for your posts! I’m learning a lot.

At this point I’m leaning towards a resale at Grand Chatue. Vista has the sister resorts but MF’s are much higher and the lock off is only a studio.

Does anyone know what will pass ROFR for every other year, 3BR platinum/high season at MGC. I’m thinking of trying to find a resale for $2000.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
How much did you have to pay for the upgrade fee?
Upgrade fees are $99 per step up. You get discounts with Gold and Platinum II membership though.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx

I own a few weeks at Marriott Desert Springs (Palm Desert). They have a lot of inventory and are pretty easy to trade into (except in Feb or March). I own a "white" week which is like a "gold" week (one under platinum). So it isn't a terribly strong trader. But it trades pretty well and I suspect similar to your own target resort. In a "shoot-out" with other ii exchangers for a high demand place like Hawaii during prime season, it may or may not make it.

But I have consistently been able to trade into Newport Coast (2 BR) using a 1 BR or an efficiency. But I'm exchanging in Sept, Oct., Nov, or December - - non peak season but still a nice time of year. Also, I regularly exchange into Tahoe Timberlodge (efficiency or 1 BR for a 1 or 2 BR). So, it has reasonably good trading power. I also often trade an efficiency or 1 BR deposit back to Desert Springs into a larger unit.

So, if you are willing to do a bunch of manual searches and don't have your hopes set unrealistically high, you'll enjoy your purchase.

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for your posts! I’m learning a lot.

At this point I’m leaning towards a resale at Grand Chatue. Vista has the sister resorts but MF’s are much higher and the lock off is only a studio.

Does anyone know what will pass ROFR for every other year, 3BR platinum/high season at MGC. I’m thinking of trying to find a resale for $2000.
MVC have invoked ROFR quite a few times at Grand Chateau already this year.
Even 2BR Platinum weeks at $2,750 have failed.
Attached from rofr.netEFD36753-01B9-4665-8AEF-9B8D3FAFBF96.jpeg

Wade

Reaction score
I’m looking at buying my first timeshare and considering buying a 3 BR platinum week at Marriott Grand Chateau. I would never stay in Vegas, always exchange. Buying in for low MFs

The decision is between buying an every other year or annual.

If buying EOY I would lockoff into 1 and 2 BR and trade so that I could travel each year but only pay MF every other year.

If buying annual I would lockoff and trade the 2BR and try to rent out the 1BR.

Does anyone have an opinion/advice on which is the best route? Seems the annual with renting 1 BR is ideal but not sure how successful renting a 1BR would be or how much I can expect to rent out for.

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
I’m looking at buying my first timeshare and considering buying a 3 BR platinum week at Marriott Grand Chateau. I would never stay in Vegas, always exchange. Buying in for low MFs

The decision is between buying an every other year or annual.

If buying EOY I would lockoff into 1 and 2 BR and trade so that I could travel each year but only pay MF every other year.

If buying annual I would lockoff and trade the 2BR and try to rent out the 1BR.

Does anyone have an opinion/advice on which is the best route? Seems the annual with renting 1 BR is ideal but not sure how successful renting a 1BR would be or how much I can expect to rent out for.
With an EOY, you don’t pay the MF every other year.
You pay half the regular annual MF every year.
We own an EOY lock off there, but that is all we need as we own 10 EY weeks at other MVC resorts too.
If we didn’t, I would go for annual.

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
We started w/ EOY. It works for us for now.