• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Owner Update Options - $100 or 10,000 MRP or free DC enrollment

tahoeJoe

TUG Member
Reaction score
Currently staying at the NCV, and they are asking us to do an owner update. We haven't done an update in over 7 years. The gifts they are offering are listed above. The question is- is enrollment in the DC worth it? When they first rolled it out, it cost approx $2000. Our main concerns with enrolling in the DC were/are:

1) You deed your legacy week to trust and lose it forever.
2) Trust inventory is minimal, and II exchanges are impacted.
3) With a Platinum 2 bedroom L/O in Branson, the DC points are minimal and not enough to go anywhere "good" in the DC.
4) It cost $2000

Therefore. the question remains, IF we decide to do an update, should we enroll for "free" or choose another gift? Thoughts?

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Endure the presentation and enroll your units.

Points are very flexible -- often in unforeseen ways. The ability to rent points from other DC members is huge.

We got free enrollment as part of an explorer package; it was worth it even though we had to endure two presentations.

SeaDoc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Chairman's Club:
2 Marriott Newport Coasts-PLAT;
1 Marriott Desert Springs I-RED;
1 Marriott Timber Lodge - Summer-PLAT;
3 StarElite Vistana: 2 Westin Lagunamar-PLAT
Currently staying at the NCV, and they are asking us to do an owner update. We haven't done an update in over 7 years. The gifts they are offering are listed above. The question is- is enrollment in the DC worth it? When they first rolled it out, it cost approx $2000. Our main concerns with enrolling in the DC were/are:

3) With a Platinum 2 bedroom L/O in Branson, the DC points are minimal and not enough to go anywhere "good" in the DC.
4) It cost $2000

Therefore. the question remains, IF we decide to do an update, should we enroll for "free" or choose another gift? Thoughts?
1 & 2 are not correct, you merely enroll and pay the annual club dues to participate in the points program, which I find superior to 7 day weekly stays. Enroll for free, you can always stop paying annual dues and revert to what you currently have at any time. Try it, you may like it...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

sparty

TUG Member
Reaction score
Many times I find 2-3 night stays using DC points are more expensive than either paying cash the 2-3 nights or justing getting an entire interval getaway week and only using it 2-3 days, especially true in shoulder seasons. DC point charges are over-inflated in many cases.

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
The only real, potential downside I am aware of with enrolling is the need to pay annual DC dues of ~$200+.
However, the benefit of electing your week for points, both for alternative usage options and for the corporate Interval account you get with most fees covered can easily justify that.
So if you see these as useful, I would say it is a good incentive.
If I could enrol my remaining weeks (currently ineligible as resale, post cut off date weeks), I would probably agree to sit through a 12 hour update presentation haha.

Bill4728

Reaction score
The only real, potential downside I am aware of with enrolling is the need to pay annual DC dues of ~$200+.
However, the benefit of electing your week for points, both for alternative usage options and for the corporate Interval account you get with most fees covered can easily justify that.
So if you see these as useful, I would say it is a good incentive.

The other thing which the sale people will not mention is that as a DC member you can rent your point to other member for cash or rent their points to complete a reservation. You can do so for around $0.50/pt (sometimes more some times less)

Swice

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
As mentioned, 1&2 are wrong. You retain your week. You just now have the added ability to exchange for points. It’s an option. You have the right, but not the obligation.

I can't see any reason why you would not. It's easy to get confused with the different terms.

Yes, by enrolling, you incur a new "club fee" but I'm assuming you are already paying Interval fee and that fee would go away.

Enrolling your week allows you the CHOICE of doing exactly what you've been doing (you can book your week at your resort or trade it through Interval without a trade fee)-- or choosing in any given year to elect "points" instead of using your week.

You are correct the "points" would mostly likely not cover a seven night vacation. However, you can be creative and gain some benefit. For example, we own two weeks. Again continuing with the example: 2019 I book two "weeks" like normal. in 2020, I book one week like normal and choose "points" for my second timeshare week. I then use those points to add a night or two on to my other weeks. Suddenly my other booked "week" vacations turn into eight or nine day stays by using the points along with the week reservations. Also, your "points" will stretch out and get you more nights if you book in lower demand times. So you may find the "points" you received for turning in your week might actually give you MORE nights during a lower season. (of course in my example, I carried over and banked some weeks/points to use them in another usage year.)

Does that help?

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points

4) It cost $2000

The free enrollment option is very interesting. If I were still interested in adding to my portfolio, this could motivate me to purchase a desirable resale week for pennies on the developer dollar and take the next available owner update to enroll it. I'm guessing there have to be more 'details' to this offer (such as the unit was purchased before a certain date, or perhaps is available to Branson Horizons weeks only, etc.). A general offer to enroll for free seems 'too good to be true', and you know what they say about things like that ... :cool:

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui OC Lahaina Fixed (3+)
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
The free enrollment option is very interesting. If I were still interested in adding to my portfolio, this could motivate me to purchase a desirable resale week for pennies on the developer dollar and take the next available owner update to enroll it. I'm guessing there have to be more 'details' to this offer (such as the unit was purchased before a certain date, or perhaps is available to Branson Horizons weeks only, etc.). A general offer to enroll for free seems 'too good to be true', and you know what they say about things like that ... :cool:

The enrollment offer above only applies to units bought prior to June 2010.

To enroll resale weeks purchased since then requires either a large pure points purchase during various specials or the purchase of a hybrid deal or Caribbean week with points. Search on hybrids for lost of recent discussions on enrolling post-2010 weeks.

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am sure you will find that the free enrolment offer does not apply to newly purchased Resale weeks.

tahoeJoe

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for all the information. To be clear, I purchased my week in 2008 resale so I should qualify for enrollment? Also, besides the ability to convert my week to DC points (at my sole discretion every year) what else does the $200 club membership get me?

1) A "free" II account?
2) "Free"or reduced cost unit lock-offs?
3) Free or reduced cost II trades?
4) The ability to convert weeks to Marriott Reward points?
5) Anything else?

Also, besides the annual DC membership fee, what other fees are involved in club membership?

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
F859614F-9339-4064-AD36-477AD9EB7F58.png
Thank you for all the information. To be clear, I purchased my week in 2008 resale so I should qualify for enrollment? Also, besides the ability to convert my week to DC points (at my sole discretion every year) what else does the $200 club membership get me?

1) A "free" II account?
5) Anything else?

Also, besides the annual DC membership fee, what other fees are involved in club membership?
The enrolled owner webinar should hopefully answer most of your questions.
With Club Membership, you do still have to pay Interval unit size upgrade fees (if you need them)
http://img.vacationclubsurvey.com/images/webinar/OwnerWebinar_Enrolled.pdf

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

1) A "free" II account?
5) Anything else?

You should get a free II account (but can't add other non Marriott or non enrolled Marriott weeks to it), free Marriott to Marriott exchanges, free lockoff fee, free cancelation/change fee. There is a club due as you mentioned so you are paying for those things. If you routinely trade your WR week locking it off and don't have other timeshare to keep an II account, I'd say it's a no brainer saving you easily more than it costs and giving you other options like renting additional points. You can also likely enroll for free by watching the webinar online.