• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott/Vistana overlay

4Sunsets

Reaction score
Are your complaints about the hotels (as your post seems to indicate now) or the timeshare resorts? Obviously, and as discussed ad nauseam, the system has been diluted.

I certainly can’t agree with you re the timeshares...Westin is consistently better than Marriott in almost every respect. As previously mentioned in another post, Marriott’s do not have consistent standards throughout all resorts which is not true with Westin. And, of course, there are feature differences, such as the studio/small 1-bed being full service with kitchen and laundry vs a hotel room with Marriott.

In any case, you should visit those resorts that appeal to you. Have fun!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

With regard to Westin, I agree to disagree. Westin hotels have vastly differing standards of quality. Westin TS have greatly differeing standards of quality.

But an even bigger problem with Westin: they haven't been maintained well the past few years especially with the pending sale, shuffling of ownership. There's a lot of neglect and Marriott is going to have to spend shovel fulls of $$$ to catch up.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
With regard to Westin, I agree to disagree. Westin hotels have vastly differing standards of quality. Westin TS have greatly differeing standards of quality.

But an even bigger problem with Westin: especially with the pending sale, shuffling of ownership. There's a lot of neglect and Marriott is going to have to spend shovel fulls of $$$ to catch up.

What bothers me about your comments is that I doubt they come from an extensive travel experience with the Westin timeshare resorts. You provide absolutely no details concerning the Westin timeshares that you visited and why you consider them to be inferior to the Marriott's in similar locations. You also provide no evidence for statements like "they haven't been maintained well the past few years" as if you had stayed several times at all 22 resorts (some of which are actually brand new!) and you could assess the recent degree of "neglect".

Even if you were right and the Westin resorts needed some upgrades, I doubt that Marriott would be turned off by a short term inconvenience since they have a long term vision with this company.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis

But an even bigger problem with Westin: they haven't been maintained well the past few years especially with the pending sale, shuffling of ownership. There's a lot of neglect and Marriott is going to have to spend shovel fulls of $$$ to catch up.

Please list specific examples. I have seen none of the issues you maintain, and I visit several Westin timeshares every year. On the flip side, I see issues with Marriott’s...and I also stay at their properties every year...

4Sunsets

Reaction score
What bothers me about your comments is that I doubt they come from an extensive travel experience with the Westin timeshare resorts. You provide absolutely no details concerning the Westin timeshares that you visited and why you consider them to be inferior to the Marriott's in similar locations. You also provide no evidence for statements like "they haven't been maintained well the past few years" as if you had stayed several times at all 22 resorts (some of which are actually brand new!) and you could assess the recent degree of "neglect".

Even if you were right and the Westin resorts needed some upgrades, I doubt that Marriott would be turned off by a short term inconvenience since they have a long term vision with this company.

LOL been traveling for decades. You guys are hilarious how you try to discredit anyone who disagrees with you.

4Sunsets

Reaction score
Please list specific examples. I have seen none of the issues you maintain, and I visit several Westin timeshares every year. On the flip side, I see issues with Marriott’s...and I also stay at their properties every year...

RIght back at you. Please *DO* list ALL examples of Westin's superbness in the TSs. Can't wait to read, should be laugh out loud funny.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
Maybe we should get this thread back on track? What started out as speculation on potential integration and increased options for owners is quickly devolving into a debate about the quality of the resorts.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
RIght back at you. Please *DO* list ALL examples of Westin's superbness in the TSs. Can't wait to read, should be laugh out loud funny.
You are still failing to cite specific examples as requested...

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
The hotel side is where I see the most variation of quality. But that's not specific to Westin. I have stayed at Hyatts, Doubletree, Marriott's and Westins in sore need of reno. I actually see the timeshares as more consistent in quality.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis

You’re a troll. You made an unsupported accusation and when called upon to provide examples, you simply escalate with personal attacks. It’s time for you to leave or be civil and provide detail. You complain about us not giving you credit but you haven’t done anything to justify our respect.

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)

Read my post #244. I gave you a dozen examples, mostly at places I have visited on multiple occasions.

Please give us specific evidence to the contrary. And remind us how many of those places you actually visited -- and when.

Unless and until you do, I'm with Ken; you're a troll.

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
LOL been traveling for decades. You guys are hilarious how you try to discredit anyone who disagrees with you.

Actually, I think we have been remarkably polite to someone who repeatedly expresses an opinion that he cannot or will not support.

Probably because TUG has lots of midwesterners and Canadians.

youppi

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's may be possible to be unlucky and each time you exchange to a Marriott's or Westin as a non owner of those brands you get a bad room (not renovated, bad view, bad smell, ...) and to be at the resort at the worst time (end of its cycle before renovation, pool close for renovation, ...).

Example, my first exchange to a Marriott's resort was very bad (room and resort not renovated, pool close for renovation, bad view, disgusting smell every where inside the resort building except in my room, ...).
If I have never re-exchanged to a Marriott's or if I was unlucky like the first time I exchanged to Marriott's, I would have no good words to say about Marriott's.

My first exchange to a Westin was better than to my first Marriott's. My impression was nice room (size, decoration) and resort ground but I got a bad view ground floor room with mold smell and they did do anything and refuse to move us to another room.

I never got a bad experience with Royal, Hyatt, Diamond Resort, Hilton, Wyndham, Shell Vacation, Disney, Vacation Village, Sheraton, ... but I got one bad experience at each Marriott's and Westin.

If I would have been unlucky each time I exchanged to Marriott's and Westin resorts like my first time at each of them then Marriott's and Westin would be far behind the other brands but it's not the case.

4Sunsets

Reaction score
It's may be possible to be unlucky and each time you exchange to a Marriott's or Westin as a non owner of those brands you get a bad room (not renovated, bad view, bad smell, ...) and to be at the resort at the worst time (end of its cycle before renovation, pool close for renovation, ...).

Example, my first exchange to a Marriott's resort was very bad (room and resort not renovated, pool close for renovation, bad view, disgusting smell every where inside the resort building except in my room, ...).
If I have never re-exchanged to a Marriott's or if I was unlucky like the first time I exchanged to Marriott's, I would have no good words to say about Marriott's.

My first exchange to a Westin was better than to my first Marriott's. My impression was nice room (size, decoration) and resort ground but I got a bad view ground floor room with mold smell and they did do anything and refuse to move us to another room.

I never got a bad experience with Royal, Hyatt, Diamond Resort, Hilton, Wyndham, Shell Vacation, Disney, Vacation Village, Sheraton, ... but I got one bad experience at each Marriott's and Westin.

If I would have been unlucky each time I exchanged to Marriott's and Westin resorts like my first time at each of them then Marriott's and Westin would be far behind the other brands but it's not the case.

Hard to say, we have many friends who own Westin. Much distress about the limbo they've been in.

4Sunsets

Reaction score
Actually, I think we have been remarkably polite to someone who repeatedly expresses an opinion that he cannot or will not support.

Probably because TUG has lots of midwesterners and Canadians.

You may consider yourself polite. However, you've been rude repeatedly. Trying to discredit everyone who voices an opinion other than yours is disgraceful. You can agree to disagree. Offer counterpoints, etc. but you don't have to make statement that try to discredit those with opposing views. Stick with the facts, voice a counter opinion w/o being a troll.

4Sunsets

Reaction score
Unless and until you do, I'm with Ken; you're a troll.

Well, ain't that the pot calling the kettle black. The troll saying others are a troll, just another attempt at discrediting anyone who disagrees w you.

Please stick w the facts, voice a counter opinion and move on.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, ain't that the pot calling the kettle black. The troll saying others are a troll, just another attempt at discrediting anyone who disagrees w you.

Please stick w the facts, voice a counter opinion and move on.
At this point, I do not know whether it is worth responding any more to your comments but here you go. TUGbbs is an online community that aims to help others with information about timeshares and hopefully we can do that while having fun at the same time. Most if not all people who posted in this thread are pretty active on TUG and have contributed quite a bit with their time and energy. Not exactly the definition of a social media troll.

Because so many are very active contributors, we kind of know whom to trust or not. And I would add that the vast majority of the TUG members are very trustworthy. It is your option going forward to sit on one bench or the other.

4Sunsets

Reaction score
At this point, I do not know whether it is worth responding any more to your comments but here you go. TUGbbs is an online community that aims to help others with information about timeshares and hopefully we can do that while having fun at the same time. Most if not all people who posted in this thread are pretty active on TUG and have contributed quite a bit with their time and energy. Not exactly the definition of a social media troll.

Because so many are very active contributors, we kind of know whom to trust or not. And I would add that the vast majority of the TUG members are very trustworthy. It is your option going forward to sit on one bench or the other.

Several people here are very dismissive of others who have differing opinions. I'm not the one who started calling others troll, I was called troll by these people, etc. After multiple rudenesses and unkindnesses, I begin to respond in kind. It seems to be the only language they understand.

I don't need to prove what I do or don't know, no more or less than anyone else. I don't really care if they've been on here 3 years or 3 days, they don't need to be rude, dismissive and I certainly don't need to prove anything to them or anyone.

I've encountered a few know-it-alls in my time but few as close-minded, shallow or reprehensible. I really don't care if they are lawyers or whatever in their day jobs, doesn't give them license to be jerks.

Make a point, counterpoint, move on. If you disagree, you don't need to try to discredit, attack, or dismiss as a troll, whatever. Again, make a point or counterpoint and move on.

Last edited:

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score

The small sides of Westin TS are way better than the MVC equivalents. Many have a full bedroom, and essentially all have a great kitchen and a full laundry. MVC not so much. That makes the small side of a Westin TS much more viable for standalone use.

Westin has midweek cleaning at all their resorts. MVC has midweek cleaning at a few.

IMO those are two huge differences. MVC has more locations, but I would say the Westin locations are more consistently premium. (No Branson/Orlando over built type areas) and some are Westin spots are positively unique - WSJ, Harborside, the only hotel branded properties in Mexico. MVC has great locations too of course, including many where Westin isn't represented (Aruba, east coast beaches, ko-Olina, etc).

But to say Westin has no advantages over MVC is shortsighted at best and disingenuous at worst.

I've stayed in both many times and haven't noticed any difference in upkeep. I do like the decor of Westin resorts better (more modern style) but that is largely personal preference

4Sunsets

Reaction score
But to say Westin has no advantages over MVC is shortsighted at best and disingenuous at worst.

This is NOT something that was said.

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score

If you didn't mean this to imply that there weren't accurate and specific places where Westin is better than MVC than I apologize.

I do think however that I interpreted this statement reasonably.

4Sunsets

Reaction score
The small sides of Westin TS are way better than the MVC equivalents. Many have a full bedroom, and essentially all have a great kitchen and a full laundry. MVC not so much. That makes the small side of a Westin TS much more viable for standalone use.

Westin has midweek cleaning at all their resorts. MVC has midweek cleaning at a few.

IMO those are two huge differences. MVC has more locations, but I would say the Westin locations are more consistently premium. (No Branson/Orlando over built type areas) and some are Westin spots are positively unique - WSJ, Harborside, the only hotel branded properties in Mexico. MVC has great locations too of course, including many where Westin isn't represented (Aruba, east coast beaches, ko-Olina, etc).

I've stayed in both many times and haven't noticed any difference in upkeep. I do like the decor of Westin resorts better (more modern style) but that is largely personal preference

These are good points of issue. MVC has *significantly* more locations than Westin AND a significant number of those are high-end, quality locations. When matching the best locations of each, I still prefer MVC and would not consider Westin more premium. I have many friends who live in Hawaii/Oauhu/Maui/Kauai who own both. I own multiple Maui weeks and my friends who own Westin are always envious of the Maui towers.

As far as upkeep, as my friends who live on Maui have witnessed, Westin properties have fallen a bit behind in all the ownership changes. Marriott WILL have to spend to catch that up.

As an example of decor comparison, I would not consider the Westin Maui properties to have better/more modern decor than that Maui towers which are comparable and (IMHO better).

It's also important to point out that Westin has more recently built property on Maui, newer doesn't necessarily make it better. That said, WN is a nice property. It's newer than the rest and nicely appointed.

Regarding cleaning service, MVC has significantly more properties that offer a wide range of services. ALL Hawaii/Kaui/Maui/Oahu properties provide mid/full.

Westin has a relative few properties as compared to MVC. MVC offers a wide range, with a significant number of high-end, quality properties. MVC also has mid-tier properties, and yes, some in the popular tourist areas.

Regarding Westin Mexico TS, I wouldn't stay in those if I was paid. Wouldn't let family stay either, unless and until Mexico resolves the mess its in w regard to crime, etc.

Last edited:

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
Regarding cleaning service, MVC has significantly more properties that offer a wide range of services. ALL Hawaii/Kaui/Maui/Oahu properties provide mid/full.

All MVC properties in Hawaii (and a few others internationally iirc) offer a midweek cleaning.

All Westin properties everywhere offer a midweek cleaning.

I can't see how that is a net-benefit to MVC over Westin.

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
I bet that more people have been killed in your city than American tourists in Mexico.

https://worldview.stratfor.com/article/murder-mexico-whats-danger-american-tourist

IIRC, there are more deaths by gun violence per capita in the USA than mexico.

Canada has less than a quarter as many gun violence deaths per capita as the US.

If you're willing to live in the US, then the risk of violence in any other first or second world country is almost certainly less.

Quick source: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_firearm-related_death_rate

This isn't really Westin/MVC related, but I definitely have experienced more corruption as a foreign tourist in the USA vs Mexico, and I spend a comparable amount of time each year in both countries.