• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott Phuket Beach Club advice, please!

Fi2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
only Platinum MVC - Fairway Villas, Newport Coast, Grande Vista, Desert Springs, Summit Watch (x2), Grande Ocean OS (x2), and too many destination points
Thanks in advance, for any guidance you can share, especially before our AM departure from NJ on Mon, Jul 15

Long story short, I neglected to do any research into our first ever Phuket stay, enroute to a Singapore wedding, since we’re flying the morning after to squeeze some Alaskan pre-cruise excursions in (ridiculous itinerary, I know!), and haven’t finalized those bookings yet either.

Where do you exchange for baht? I’m used to just pulling local money out of the Citibank ATMs at Singapore’s airport, and by the Tang Plaza (explorer collection) hotel, but don’t know if I can do this upon arrival in Phuket, or by the resort as needed

How do you manage airport transfers? I’m traveling with three kids, check-in luggage (clothes and footwear for the tropics, a family wedding, some AK outdoor adventure, and the cruise don’t all fit in our carry-ons)

I read that repeat visitors stop at a supermarket before checking in, since there are few reasonably priced stores or restaurants nearby (I’d love to be corrected if this info is out of date!). I also need to keep basics on hand for my multiple food-allergy child. Which store(s) should we visit on our way to the resort? Which nearby options do you recommend?

Our flight arrives Phuket at 10:30AM. Should I bother booking a room for the night prior, or will baggage, immigration, and a supermarket run occupy the time until check in? I know my points will go into holding, and that’s okay. They were in holding already, when I booked!

Will I have reliably good WiFi at the resort? Out and about Phuket? I use Tmobile at home, and am Platinum Elite in Marriott if that makes any difference

My main purpose in booking Phuket was to allow time to get over jet lag prior to the wedding, at less than half the cost of the explorer club options in Singapore, so we’re perfectly fine not doing anything more touristy than eating local/street foods. Have any recommendations?

What have I forgotten?

Again, thanks in advance!

Fi2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
only Platinum MVC - Fairway Villas, Newport Coast, Grande Vista, Desert Springs, Summit Watch (x2), Grande Ocean OS (x2), and too many destination points
Oops, I forgot that I’m Titanium vs Platinum Elite, if that makes any difference to the resort.

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
You can exchange for Thai Baht all around Phuket.
There are ATMs at the airport, which you might need to use to pay for your transfer if you haven’t already got some local cash, also at the resort and the nearby small shopping complexes.
They all charge a withdrawal fee, THB 220 (approx $7) as I recall, so you are best taking out fewer larger amounts.

For transfer, unless you want to splash out on the resort limo, you can take a taxi from the airport for around THB 600.
Just be sure to look for the “official” taxi rank.

As for supermarkets, it depends how much you want to buy.
There are local supermarkets within walking distance of the resort - 7 Eleven and Turtle Mart, where you can buy basics and you can do online shopping from the resort with Tesco, Central, Villa Market... or you can take the taxi to a large Tesco.

We often arrive early, have swimming gear packed ready to hand and just chill out by the pool until our unit is ready.

Wifi is available all over the resort and grounds, it has recently been upgraded so should be very good indeed.
Out and about, you might want to pick up a local SIM either at the airport or at the 7 Eleven.

With Bonvoy Titanium status, you will receive your arrival gift and discounts at the resort restaurants run by the JW which is co-located with Phuket Beach Club.
The resort restaurants can be expensive, but there are several “local” restaurants nearby which are also very good - JJs, KinDee.... etc

Enjoy.

Fi2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You can exchange for Thai Baht all around Phuket.
There are ATMs at the airport, which you might need to use to pay for your transfer if you haven’t already got some local cash, also at the resort and the nearby small shopping complexes.
They all charge a withdrawal fee, THB 220 (approx $7) as I recall, so you are best taking out fewer larger amounts.

For transfer, unless you want to splash out on the resort limo, you can take a taxi from the airport for around THB 600.
Just be sure to look for the “official” taxi rank.

As for supermarkets, it depends how much you want to buy.
There are local supermarkets within walking distance of the resort - 7 Eleven and Turtle Mart, where you can buy basics and you can do online shopping from the resort with Tesco, Central, Villa Market... or you can take the taxi to a large Tesco.

We often arrive early, have swimming gear packed ready to hand and just chill out by the pool until our unit is ready.

Wifi is available all over the resort and grounds, it has recently been upgraded so should be very good indeed.
Out and about, you might want to pick up a local SIM either at the airport or at the 7 Eleven.

With Bonvoy Titanium status, you will receive your arrival gift and discounts at the resort restaurants run by the JW which is co-located with Phuket Beach Club.
The resort restaurants can be expensive, but there are several “local” restaurants nearby which are also very good - JJs, KinDee.... etc

Enjoy.

Thank you, so much! It’s been so long since I’ve traveled to a country where I can’t at least get by in the local language, so your insight and advice are invaluable.

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
I meant to say that I checked for someone else recently and at the wide range of JW/PBC resort restaurants they do have good experience of catering for guests with food allergies.
They suggest contacting the restaurant manager when booking to discuss your needs.
“Local” restaurants I am not so sure about and it may be more difficult to explain.
Peanuts especially are used extensively, if that is one of your concerns.
You can buy food allergy cards in Thai language to show them, which might be a good idea.

Reactions: Fi2

Fi2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thank you for the allergy card suggestion! This is the first time in decades that I’m traveling to a country where I can’t speak any local language, so I’ve never looked into them before.

Thankfully, my youngest has outgrown her soy, wheat, and peanut allergies, but as she is still very allergic to tree nuts (cashews, especially!), eggs and milk, I’ll also be picking up an extra epipen prescription today.

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
Your T mobile phone will work in Phuket. No need for a SIM card. PBC is a great resort. If you have kids you might want to request to not be placed by the quiet pool. The walk will be shorter to the JW pool and a pool we’re your kids can be themselves.

Fi2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
(deleted)

Last edited:

Fi2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Fi2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks again, for the fantastic info!

Has anyone been to Phuket frequently/long enough to require a haircut? Yes, I realize that I get a discount at the JW’s spa, but am not interested in paying premium prices for simple kids’ cuts. As it is, my girls typically have gotten their haircuts for free, every time they had about 14 inches to donate to Locks for Love, or the like

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score