• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What is your favorite dinner?

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
"Chipped Beef".

Can be dinner, have done it a few times, but for me it's predominantly a Brunch item, and absolutely delicious.
Not a low-calorie dish, sorry.
It's simple but tastes more complex.
Description would be smoked chipped beef with a homemade white sauce over a golden-brown
(perfectly) buttered/toasted English Muffin.
(Special brand of English Muffin, special type of chipped beef, special butter---all make for the right result.)
It's better than any "chipped beef" in any restaurant at which I've ever ordered anything similar
or of the same name. I test them just out of curiosity.

I learned by watching and remembering my Mom making it. I wasn't in any way going to live my life without it,
so I paid attention. My Dad used to simply smile quietly when she served it, and offered no words except "Thank you".

My wife and children still love it like nothing else, but I don't get around to making it as much since we
have been empty nesters for several years now. I used to make it each year on the morning of the finals of the
Wimbledon Tennis Tournament, calling it "MY Breakfast at Wimbledon".
Also made it on the Saturday or Sunday morning of the British Open Golf Tournament,
and perhaps on a random special-occasion weekend.
I also liked to make it occasionally as a surprise on a really cool Fall or Winter Saturday morning, my "no reason" excuse.

Last edited:

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Carne and pollo asada "taco cart" tacos. With onions, cilantro, finely shredded cheese, sour cream, home made guacamole, and salsa/hot sauce. Serve yourself with flour and corn mini tortillas.

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
My favorite is roast chicken, homemade chicken gravy over rice, and steamed asparagus. I used to make it once a week, not so much any more. Empty-nester problems. Now that you started me thinking about it, I want to roast it tomorrow. Except it's really too hot to turn on the oven. I guess that I will have to wait a few more months.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Drool running down my chin. I might have to put this thread on 'ignore'.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Chipped Beef? You mean SOS!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Yes! That is what all of the firehouses called it in Denver, and it's good. I love it too. My dad made it. He also made black-eyed peas and link sausages, which could be any meal. I didn't like that, but I loved SOS.

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Quarter House, a handful of East Coast beach resorts
It had to do with a news story about a woman being busted for tasting ice cream in the store out of the carton then putting it back in the freezer. You have to think it wasn't the first time.
I've seen 2 different people in the news "caught on camera" so far... and by "caught" I mean they had themselves recorded. I got the feeling it was another one of those idiotic internet challenges. So, yes, stay away from anything unsealed in the grocery store.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
Not fond of cooking, so the best simple dinner I cook would be salmon filets. I gently rinse the salmon filets and pat them dry and set them on a plate. Then I mix some garlic powder, dried basil, salt and pepper together. Rub the mixture on the top and bottom of the filets and add to a frying pan that after pre-heating, I added a little butter to melt and coat the pan. I cook the filets for about 4 minutes per side. Serve with a lemon wedge and steamed broccoli.

If I have a little more time, I marinate the salmon filets in a mixture of soy sauce, minced garlic, olive oil and Dijon mustard for up to half an hour. I tell hubby he's cooking again and he grills them outside on the grill.

Probably the best thing I cook came from growing up in the South and watching my mother fry food. I do great fried pork chops or fried chicken. I just rarely cook them anymore.

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
So hungry after reading this thread right after I woke up! For me, I seem to do quite a bit of sous vide lately. I like salmon with home-made ponzu sauce, and DH loves my lobster tails with saffron beurre blanc sauce and scallops with lemon glaze. We both like seafood, and I have had better luck with seafood than with meat when I do sous vide. Here is the video for making lobster tails. It never fails me!

PaulaC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Filet Mignon with Mustard Caper Cream Sauce.

Lightly cooked filets pan-fried in butter and swimming in a tart and tangy cream sauce.

the best.

Wild Mushrooms optional.....
4a6278391326ea3c73ae39e447d9e59a.jpg
1349c29b4a31930ae7538bbecaae0469.jpg

GalaxyS4 using Tapatalk
Love these .... tho' I make a red wine mushroom sauce for the filets.

1st Class

TUG Member
Reaction score
A beef pot roast with potatoes and carrots. YUMMY. The house smells amazing while that's cooking... :)

This is a house favorite and everyone always asks for the secret ingredients. Well, the secret IMO to pot roast is in the gravy made with wine, beef broth and a little worchestershire, so not such a big secret. I learned a long time ago that a good gravy can make an inexpensive cut of beef taste like a tender rib roast.

Another favorite is roast turkey with homemade gravy. We have this a lot all year long, not just on Thanksgiving!

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I learned a long time ago that a good gravy can make an inexpensive cut of beef taste like a tender rib roast.

I know people whose gravy is so good, it should be its own Food Group. ;)

Dave

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
DW's pan-fried breaded pork chops, mashed potatoes, and her delish gravy. Corn and green beans is standard with that meal.

To really top it off, one of her chocolate sheet cakes. She makes one every time we have extended fam here at the lake, like for the 4th last week. The first sheet cake disappeared the first day, so she said she would make a fresh peach pie. Everyone said No, No, make another sheet cake. It lasted just one day, too.

I can't believe I'm only four pounds over my playing weight . . . but I really want to get back in the starting lineup.

:cool:

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Roast Tenderloin of Beef with mushroom/wine gravy, Scalloped potatoes, Sauteed Asparagus, Waldorf salad, and fresh rolls....Christmas dinner at our house

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
We have two - the easiest one is the most healthy, but the other is quite yummy!

We like to grill a large fish fillet (any whitefish) and steam broccoli. We have that once or twice a week.

But for the family favorite, I make a modified baked steak that we had at an Amish restaurant in Missouri, I braise 1/2"-1" boneless sirloin steaks (you can use round steak and cook longer), put in a crockpot and cover with diced onions, sliced mushrooms, and a mixture of cream of mushroom soup and Heinz Beef Gravy in a jar and add a little salt and a lot of pepper. I cook it several hours. I serve it with Costco mashed potatoes, green beans and steamed frozen corn. Hubs likes biscuits, but I generally do the Rhodes rolls (grandson's fav) that I let raise. For dessert, we have coconut cream pie. It is our version of what "grandma used to make" - only better!

Ralph Sir Edward

TUG Member
Reaction score
Nice warm (by Texas standards) chili. (NO BEANS).

Good for any meal. (Yes, I <love> it for breakfast.)

(Recipe available on request. . . .)

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
Nice warm (by Texas standards) chili. (NO BEANS).

DW also makes the worlds best chili. We shared a timeshare week in Estes Park with two Oklahoma couples, and DW mad a big batch of chili.

The first thing we heard from the Okies was, "Oooo. Yankee chili!!!!" Because it had beans.

My answer was, "Why do you think they are called chili beans?"

:cool:

Janann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC on the Boulevard, Las Vegas;
Disney's Saratoga Springs
Carne and pollo asada "taco cart" tacos. With onions, cilantro, finely shredded cheese, sour cream, home made guacamole, and salsa/hot sauce. Serve yourself with flour and corn mini tortillas.

I can't believe it took 28 posts for someone to say tacos! Its the obvious answer. :whooopie:

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
I can't believe it took 28 posts for someone to say tacos! Its the obvious answer. :whooopie:
Well I certainly like many of the other meals, and have saved those recipes, I would die without my tacos!

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have two based on the seasons. For spring/summer I butterfly a boneless leg of lamb and season it with salt, pepper, crushed coriander seeds and oregano. I grill it over very high heat and let it rest. It comes out with some parts rare, some medium and with some good crusty parts. I make a true Greek salad (tomato, cucumber, peppers, dill, oregano, olives, lemon juice, olive oil, feta) and serve that along with pita bread and Tzatziki sauce (greek yogurt, dill, grated cucumber, pinch of garlic, salt).

For winter I make a cassoulet, but do a few substitutions from the classic version. I saute finely diced onions, carrots, celery, tomato paste, thyme, and garlic. Add white beans, chicken stock, boneless chicken thighs (instead of duck confit), toulouse sausage. I then put four small onion halves cut length wise and big chunks of slab bacon on top. Cook it in a 300 oven for three hours and then one more hour uncovered or until the juice is mostly gone, but the beans aren't sticking to the bottom. It is crazy good comfort food.

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
@Big Matt Im coming to your house for dinner.

You remind me of two favorite meals- rotisserie leg of lamb (made on our gas grill). A boneless leg of lamb, seasoned on one side with garlic, lemon zest and salt, and on the other side with cumin, coriander, paprika, salt and pepper. Rolled up so that the lemon side is the inside and the cumin side is the outside, then threaded onto the rotisserie and cooked. So good with tzatziki sauce and the sides you describe.

In the winter, I make a mean coq au vin. It’s so homey and delicious. I like it with buttered parsleyed potatoes and a green veg, plus some good bread to use as a sauce mop.

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
I like salmon with home-made ponzu sauce, and DH loves my lobster tails with saffron beurre blanc sauce and scallops with lemon glaze. We both like seafood, and I have had better luck with seafood than with meat when I do sous vide.
You know you are cookin' when you cook with saffron!

Meats such as chicken, pork, beef, even salmon taste better with some degree of sear (beef and pork) or browning (chicken and salmon) due to the maillard reaction. Sous vide cooking does not reach a high enough temperature for the maillard reaction to take place. Try searing or browning meats for a few minutes after the sous vide cooking. It will make all the difference.

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
My favorite dinner is osso bucco with pan sauce, mashed gold potatoes with beef stock gravy, green bean almondine; served with a Central Coast Cabernet or Syrah.

Crème brûlée for dessert.

It is a bit rich so maybe only once or twice a year on special occasions.

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
I went to Whole Foods yesterday to spend my $10 in advance of Amazon Prime day. I wound up buying a pricey organic high welfare chicken (I’m not even sure what that means, just that it sounded good).

I think I shall cut it up tonight and use the legs to try this Jamie Oliver dish.

https://food52.com/recipes/72191-jamie-oliver-s-tender-crisp-chicken-legs-with-sweet-tomatoes-basil

That will leave me with a nice chicken breast to roast. Giblets to cook up for the dog. And I can make chicken stock from the back, neck, and the scrap bones left from dinner.

I bought more grass fed ribeyes yesterday at Aldi. We’re going to make Lok Lak, the Cambodian Black Pepper beef dish, again this week.

So I think our week is shaping up to be:
Sat- Jamie Oliver’s Braised Chicken dish, probably with a salad and some leftover focaccia bread from a batch I baked yesterday
Sun- Roast chicken breast with roasted broccoli and a tomato-feta-mint salad, maybe some kind of grain like barley or farro
Mon- Chicken and pasta with the last of the pesto, green salad
Tues- Grilled ribeyes, corn on the cobb, more tomato salad
Wed- Lok Lak with the other ribeye, served with lettuce and tomato
Thurs- Hmm, we have some hot dogs sitting around, maybe grilled hot dogs and corn on the cob, and watermelon

Thursday is the end of my work week, so that’s where my planning stops. Friday the whole cycle starts again...

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
"Chipped Beef".

Can be dinner, have done it a few times, but for me it's predominantly a Brunch item, and absolutely delicious.
Not a low-calorie dish, sorry.
It's simple but tastes more complex.
Description would be smoked chipped beef with a homemade white sauce over a golden-brown
(perfectly) buttered/toasted English Muffin.
(Special brand of English Muffin, special type of chipped beef, special butter---all make for the right result.)
It's better than any "chipped beef" in any restaurant at which I've ever ordered anything similar
or of the same name. I test them just out of curiosity.

I learned by watching and remembering my Mom making it. I wasn't in any way going to live my life without it,
so I paid attention. My Dad used to simply smile quietly when she served it, and offered no words except "Thank you".

My wife and children still love it like nothing else, but I don't get around to making it as much since we
have been empty nesters for several years now. I used to make it each year on the morning of the finals of the
Wimbledon Tennis Tournament, calling it "MY Breakfast at Wimbledon".
Also made it on the Saturday or Sunday morning of the British Open Golf Tournament,
and perhaps on a random special-occasion weekend.
I also liked to make it occasionally as a surprise on a really cool Fall or Winter Saturday morning, my "no reason" excuse.
Hi Marty,

Are you going to share your mom's recipe with us?

Thanks.
Richard