• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

A few extra DC points to make the next level

radley

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi There
And thanks in advance!
I am at KoOlina and did the sales presentation this morning. I went for the 35,000 Bonvoy points and a bit more understanding of how the merger will allow booking at Westin locations.

The sales guy pointed out that I am 200 DC points away from Presidential level in the timeshare levels and that would bring lifetime Titanium level at Marriott hotels.

Is it worth spending anything and paying the extra maintenance fees to get this upgrade? I wouldn't spend the $$$$$ plus closing costs to buy the points from Marriott - it looks like I could buy points resale and upgrade that way.

Does the extra level make much difference? I know I am asking a subjective question - but the extra purchase seems quite low if it impacts how I can use the program.
Thanks!!!

Radley

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
You may be able to buy as few as 500 DC points direct, or find someone that may have some resale. THough the $3300 minimum junk fees make that less attractive. 500 is the minimum you would need to buy, but you may have to press the sales rep on buying those as they would want to sell you a bigger package.

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi There
And thanks in advance!
I am at KoOlina and did the sales presentation this morning. I went for the 35,000 Bonvoy points and a bit more understanding of how the merger will allow booking at Westin locations.

The sales guy pointed out that I am 200 DC points away from Presidential level in the timeshare levels and that would bring lifetime Titanium level at Marriott hotels.

Is it worth spending anything and paying the extra maintenance fees to get this upgrade? I wouldn't spend the $$$$$ plus closing costs to buy the points from Marriott - it looks like I could buy points resale and upgrade that way.

Does the extra level make much difference? I know I am asking a subjective question - but the extra purchase seems quite low if it impacts how I can use the program.
Thanks!!!

Radley
And just in case they did not make it clear, this would give you Titanium status as an Owner benefit for as long as you retain the qualifying status which they review each year, i.e you don’t sell any of your points and they don’t change the Owner benefit (unlikely, but possible)
This is not Lifetime Titanium, which you earn through nights stayed and lifetime points.
They could theoretically also change this or terminate the Bonvoy Rewards programme, but that is extremely unlikely.

radley

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ahhh...... thank you.

The salesman told me very specifically that this would be Lifetime Titanium!

PaulaC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ahhh...... thank you.

If his lips were moving .... he's lying. My husband is lifetime Titanium through years of staying at Marriott hotels and I am Titanium because of our Vacation Club properties (Chairman's Club), however when I check my lifetime status, I am only Silver.

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Personally, I would upgrade in this situation. I was 775 points short so I purchased 1000 points resale. I think after closing costs and all fees I was like $6800 for 1000 points. Worth it in my situation.

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
I am 1525 points short of Chairman’s level. I went back and forth for a bit when I made my last purchase. It seemed to not be a big deal that I was not at the higher level because the benefits did not seem to warrant me spending the additional money to achieve that level. I have resolved in my mind that I will not purchase any more points because frankly I do not want any more maintenance fees. I thought about purchasing a Vistana resale, but even if they allow that purchase to be in the DC, there is no guarantee it will provide me with enough points to get to the NEW higher level. Plus, that property’s maintenance fee is very expensive too.

So I decided to not get on the points treadmill and stay put and stay happy with what I have and where I am. My points are just going to have to be enough. I would not have ever used the Ritz yacht collection anyway. :)

Bill4728

Reaction score
I've heard the lowest number of DC points which can be bought is 1000 and you must already be a MVC owner. 1500 pts if not a current owner

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I've heard the lowest number of DC points which can be bought is 1000 and you must already be a MVC owner. 1500 pts if not a current owner
I have seen a few rare reports of 500. That is the lowest number an enrolled owner can buy and still be fully qualified points (base interest). I would think if the OP pushed them on it, they would sell them 500 points.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points
Hi There
And thanks in advance!

Thanks!!!

Radley

This really comes down to your goals and expectations of how you have and will continue to use your ownership (as well as the unknown of what else MVC may add to Presidential Level you would gain access to - but have no idea of right now). Personally, based on our own answers to those questions, I would make the purchase. As to how I would make it, developer versus resale, the developer minimum is 500 points to my knowledge and they will likely charge 'top dollar' rates (no discounts) of $14 and change per point. On the other hand, you could probably buy 1,000 points (at around an all in cost of $7 per point) and spend the same amount of money (but you will have twice the MF for buying double the points). If you don't mind the additional maintenance fee, I would buy resale. If you only want the minimum you can get to cross into Presidential, I would buy developer. You need to decide what works for you. Whatever you decide, I wouldn't want to end up the person who ever says ...

upload_2019-8-11_19-35-22.jpeg

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
Ahhh...... thank you.

When we recently purchased a hybrid package, our salesman told us we'd be Chairman's level. I told him two of the contracts he was looking at were EOY contracts. He showed me his form, which listed both contracts and the points counted as EY, even though the contracts were EOY.

We purchased the hybrid package based on our needs and I stopped correcting the salesman, who insisted we'd be Chairman's level instead of Presidential level. He was VERY specific and repeated it three or four times. If I recall correctly he even congratulated us on becoming Chairman's level owners when we left. Guess which of the two of us was correct when all was said and done? That's right, I was. We're Presidential level, not Chairman's level like the salesman believed.

Timeshare salesmen often only have a very basic concept of the product they sell. Whatever the management tells them is what they believe. Don't believe everything (or anything) they say.

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
When we recently purchased a hybrid package, our salesman told us we'd be Chairman's level. I told him two of the contracts he was looking at were EOY contracts. He showed me his form, which listed both contracts and the points counted as EY, even though the contracts were EOY.

We purchased the hybrid package based on our needs and I stopped correcting the salesman, who insisted we'd be Chairman's level instead of Presidential level. He was VERY specific and repeated it three or four times. If I recall correctly he even congratulated us on becoming Chairman's level owners when we left. Guess which of the two of us was correct when all was said and done? That's right, I was. We're Presidential level, not Chairman's level like the salesman believed.

Timeshare salesmen often only have a very basic concept of the product they sell. Whatever the management tells them is what they believe. Don't believe everything (or anything) they say.

Yes, the Confirmation email following enrolment used to make this very clear, hopefully it still does?
It is very unprofessional for the Sales people to mislead potential buyers in this way, either deliberately or through laziness by not checking.

“Welcome to the Marriott Vacation Club Destinations™ Exchange Program!
As a member of this exciting new product, you will be able to use your Vacation Club Points for vacations anywhere in the Marriott Vacation Club system. To enjoy this great new benefit, please remember to keep current on all yearly fees and dues.

Special Note for Every-Other-Year Week Owners:To determine how many Vacation Club Points count toward special recognition levels(i.e., "Premier" or "Premier Plus"), simply apply 50% of your week's total points value.”

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
Yes, the Confirmation email following enrolment used to make this very clear, hopefully it still does?
It is very unprofessional for the Sales people to mislead potential buyers in this way, either deliberately or through laziness by not checking.

“Welcome to the Marriott Vacation Club Destinations™ Exchange Program!
As a member of this exciting new product, you will be able to use your Vacation Club Points for vacations anywhere in the Marriott Vacation Club system. To enjoy this great new benefit, please remember to keep current on all yearly fees and dues.

Special Note for Every-Other-Year Week Owners:To determine how many Vacation Club Points count toward special recognition levels(i.e., "Premier" or "Premier Plus"), simply apply 50% of your week's total points value.”

Fortunately, we knew better. It’s unfortunate the salesman didn’t

Fairwinds

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I’ve been platinum and now titanium for a long time and wouldn’t pay anything for it. Don’t get me wrong I like the few perks it adds but I think these benefits are more valuable to travelers who spend enough time in hotels to not have to pay for it. If you don’t i think it will be hard to realize any benefit. And just an aside, as previously mentioned you half to requalify each year by maintaining your timeshare status or staying the hotel nights. Titanium for life was only available by being grandfathered in.

Congratulations bazzap on your chairmanship!

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Here is the Owner Benefits Grid... https://www.marriottvacationsworldwide.com/common/cms/mvc/pdfs/owners/Owner-Benefit-Level.pdf

Current benefits of jumping up to Presidential are
-An extra 5% discount (35%) when paying cash to stay at an MVC resort
-And extra 5% discount (30%) + another 30 days earlier to book it (60 days prior to arrival) on close to arrival date MVC point based bookings
-An extra 6 months to use banked points (1.5 years vs 1 year you have currently)
-An extra month before you have to determine if you want to Elect your week for points (to Oct 31 annually) if you have an enrolled week.
- You get advance notice of Preferred Access events/offers
-You can book THIRDHOME bookings
-Titantium vs Planinum status annually.

Only you can tell if purchasing the extra 500 points is worth it.

darius

TUG Member
Reaction score
When we purchased points (to requalify 2 post 2010 resale weeks) -- we were faced with a similar decision. We decided to purchase an extra 250 points to cross over into Chairmans Club level. I'm not sure if they would do this, but if they can sell you "one" BI at 250 points that would be something I would consider and recommend doing.

cgards

Reaction score
I'm in a similar spot only with Executive. I need about 500 points to get there. I'd prefer not to buy 1000 so it sounds like resale may be a better (and cheaper) option if I can't get 500 from the developer. What's the best way to buy resale and will Marriott recognize those 500 points as counting toward Executive if I go that route?

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm in a similar spot only with Executive. I need about 500 points to get there. I'd prefer not to buy 1000 so it sounds like resale may be a better (and cheaper) option if I can't get 500 from the developer. What's the best way to buy resale and will Marriott recognize those 500 points as counting toward Executive if I go that route?

Marriott will count them towards executive if you buy resale, however, you'll pay a lot of fees to get them enrolled. When you only buy 500 resale, it gets expensive with those fees (enrollment fee which has a $3,000 minimum). It will end up costing you (at $4 per point) ~$5,500 by the time you are done ($11/ppoint). Pretty close to the same price as buying from Marriott.

tshd

Reaction score
Is it for sure that resale points have to pay the Marriott junk fees to be included in one's point total?

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I know they will sell 250 points in some situations because they were willing to do so in my case to meet the qualifications to enroll my post 2010 resale weeks. The offer was a 2 BR Platinum Aruba OC plus 250 points and I said yes but they then offered a 3 BR at SC instead without the need for the points and that was a better choice for me.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Is it for sure that resale points have to pay the Marriott junk fees to be included in one's point total?

"Marriott will count them towards executive if you buy resale, however, you'll pay a lot of fees to get them enrolled. When you only buy 500 resale, it gets expensive with those fees (enrollment fee which has a $3,000 minimum). It will end up costing you (at $4 per point) ~$5,500 by the time you are done ($11/ppoint). Pretty close to the same price as buying from Marriott."

If you want resale points to have the same usage option as developer purchased points, you do have to pay all of the developer 'fees' on resale points. However, you don't have to do this. If you don't pay these resale fees to MVC, the resale points are effectively 'holding account' points that are usable each year only for bookings within 60 days of the desired check-in date. I've always understood that whether or not you chose to pay the resale fees to MVC, all owned points would count toward ownership tier levels. That has been an assumption on my part, and I could be wrong. It would take someone in that situation to tell us whether their points still counted toward Executive/Presidential/Chairman's etc. despite not paying the resale fees to 'enroll' their points purchase. If anyone is in that situation, please speak up. Now, I'm curious.

dansimms

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am currently Chairman, but Grandfathered. I only have the equivalent of 13,300. If they ever create a higher level with meaningful extra perks, I would take a serious look at resale points and NOT pay the junk fees. I use the NYC Pulse all the time in under 60 days and would have no problem choosing this basket of points for those stays, saving the $3000. I would have to be assured that it would get me elevated to the higher level.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I am currently Chairman, but Grandfathered. I only have the equivalent of 13,300. If they ever create a higher level with meaningful extra perks, I would take a serious look at resale points and NOT pay the junk fees. I use the NYC Pulse all the time in under 60 days and would have no problem choosing this basket of points for those stays, saving the $3000. I would have to be assured that it would get me elevated to the higher level.

So far, Marriott has been grandfathering tiers each time new tiers have been introduced and/or points requirements have risen. As long as that practice continues, you won't need to buy anything more to retain your current level.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
So far, Marriott has been grandfathering tiers each time new tiers have been introduced and/or points requirements have risen. As long as that practice continues, you won't need to buy anything more to retain your current level.

Yes, I would agree with this. It may make it hard to reach the next level, if that is desired, but, you should be very likely to keep current level.