• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Apparently, I'm a tax scofflaw.

Beachclubmum

Reaction score
Bet you didn't realize you were rubbing elbows with the likes of me on these boards.

True story: The first notice I had that something was amiss this morning was when my DH me called to ask about a mysterious pending transaction listed on our bank account, for a little over $3700. I called the bank to check, only to find out that we were being garnished by our state revenue department. I was like WTH, as we had no prior notice and I was a little steamed the bank never called me (we've been customers for over 20 years).

So next was the call to the revenue department to find out why. That took an hour on hold, including having my call dropped at least once. The entire time I was trying to figure out what could have happened. Were we sued in small claims court and never got notice? Did we miss paying a tax when we bought our son's new car last year? The house got paid off a couple of years ago...was there some residual amount due we never knew about? Has there been some sort of fraud activity against us? Absolutely nothing made sense.

So the Revenue person finally gets on the phone and says that although we filed our taxes we never paid the amount due to the state. Hmmmm. Didn't seem like my DH would screw that up, but maybe something happened. In order to get the garnishment notice off the the bank account, I had to immediately pay $600. by cc and agree to a payment plan. So I did that. Afterward I talked to my DH and told him what had gone down. He said he paid when he filed, via Turbo Tax. I said he should check to see if the payment actually came out of our account.

Well, lo and behold, he found the payment and that it had cleared, got a payment tracing number or confirmation number from the bank, and called the Revenue Dept. back. The first supervisor he spoke with found it, but said instead of being properly applied it was placed in some obscure account she had never heard of. The next person he was transferred to couldn't find it, put him on hold, then the call dropped. Person number three couldn't find it either, so my DH had to fax some statement of proof from the bank so they can research it. Guess we'll see what happens tomorrow.

Last edited:

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1
Bet you didn't realize you were rubbing elbows with the likes of me on these boards.

True story: The first notice I had that something was amiss this morning was when my DH me called to ask about a mysterious pending transaction listed on our bank account, for a little over $3700. I called the bank to check, only to find out that we were being garnished by our state revenue department. I was like WTH, as we had no prior notice and I was a little steamed the bank never called me (we've been customers for over 20 years).

So next was the call to the revenue department to find out why. That took an hour on hold, including having my call dropped at least once. The entire time I was trying to figure out what could have happened. We were sued in small claims court and never got notice? Did we miss paying a tax when we bought our son's new car last year? The house got paid off a couple of years ago...was there some residual amount due we never knew about? Has there been some sort of fraud activity against us? Absolutely nothing made sense.

So the Revenue person finally gets on the phone and says that although we filed our taxes we never paid the amount due to the state. Hmmmm. Didn't seem like my DH would screw that up, but maybe something happened. In order to get the garnishment notice off the the bank account, I had to immediately pay $600. by cc and agree to a payment plan. So I did that. Afterward I talked to my DH and told him what had gone down. He said he paid when he filed, via Turbo Tax. I said he should check to see if the payment actually came out of our account.

Well, lo and behold, he found the payment and that it had cleared, got a payment tracing number or confirmation number from the bank, and called the Revenue Dept. back. The first supervisor he spoke with found it, but said instead of being properly applied it was placed in some obscure account she had never heard of. The next person he was transferred to couldn't find it, put him on hold, then the call dropped. Person number three couldn't find it either, so my DH had to fax some statement of proof from the bank so they can research it. Guess we'll see what happens tomorrow.

Wow. Make sure the $600 cc payment wasn’t a scam. You may want to dispute since you already paid the taxes.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Wow. Make sure the $600 cc payment wasn’t a scam. You may want to dispute since you already paid the taxes.
I was thinking scam, but then realized the initial charge was found to be to the state revenue department, that's where all of the calls were made. I do think the $600 should, and most likely will, be refunded.

Beachclubmum

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm not as worried about getting the $600 refunded as I am about:

A. getting credited back the $100. fee my bank charges people when a garnishment is applied to the account

and B. if this is going to show up forevermore in my credit history and banking history.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm in tax Purgatory too. I paid the tax after my tax preparer finished the return. The check cleared the bank, and everything. Problem is I transposed the EID number wrong. I left off one digit on the check. So the gummint has the money, but it wasn't credited to my account. I'm supposed to call them next week. Just what I want to do at a resort.

Beachclubmum

Reaction score
I'm in tax Purgatory too. I paid the tax after my tax preparer finished the return. The check cleared the bank, and everything. Problem is I transposed the EID number wrong. I left off one digit on the check. So the gummint has the money, but it wasn't credited to my account. I'm supposed to call them next week. Just what I want to do at a resort.

Hey Partner! You can join my gang of Tax Scofflaws!

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
You... you... Renegades!!

Dave

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1

You will handle it fine. If all goes wrong, your lovely wife can step in.

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm not as worried about getting the $600 refunded as I am about:

A. getting credited back the $100. fee my bank charges people when a garnishment is applied to the account

and B. if this is going to show up forevermore in my credit history and banking history.

“Lawyers can steal more money with a briefcase than a thousand men with guns and masks."

-Don Vito Corleone

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai
But you received no bills, no warnings, no phone calls? What year was the payment for? Did you forget to change your address or something?

Krteczech

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Towers at Mullet Bay, SXM
Silverado II, CO
Wow, I am in good company. I volunteered as a AARP sponsored tax preparer and also paid estimated taxes for 2018. My refund should have been around $400, instead I received letter that I owe over 10k..
Turned out my estimated payment check was applied to wrong account. Took till June to get it sorted out and sure enough, they penalized me for late payment. Took another three weeks and two letters to get my refund. For 2019 I am aiming for zero refund.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
It's been awhile, but I remember the year when I got a letter from the IRS saying I failed to report $18,000 in income. It certainly got my attention. It turns out that they changed the way to report same day sales stock options. I didn't actually owe any more taxes, I just had to file an amended return. I had already filed for the next year and had to amend that one too.

geekette

Reaction score
Well this is getting eerie because I also have had significant oddities with tax crap this year and never before. I got an order to appear from the Sheriff. I have to call Friday to see if the check I'm pretty sure I don't owe was received, then I get into line with the rest claiming I do not owe this. I have a payment plan for Fed, got socked as I was underwithheld. They sent me a letter about keep on the payment plan, but we're investigating your account. So I don't actually know how that is going to wash out as I was pretty sure on what I owed the feds and have been paying some estimated taxes this year.

wackymother

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score

So next was the call to the revenue department to find out why. That took an hour on hold, including having my call dropped at least once. The entire time I was trying to figure out what could have happened. Were we sued in small claims court and never got notice? Did we miss paying a tax when we bought our son's new car last year? The house got paid off a couple of years ago...was there some residual amount due we never knew about? Has there been some sort of fraud activity against us? Absolutely nothing made sense.

This is your state revenue department? What state? We've had things where payments were misfiled, but we got a notice before they started garnishing our bank accounts!

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
I once got a letter from the IRS that said I owed them $350,000! The letter said that they would accept a credit card payment, LOL. It was pretty stressful until I finally got it sorted out.

Beachclubmum

Reaction score
But you received no bills, no warnings, no phone calls? What year was the payment for? Did you forget to change your address or something?

Pretty much. My state says they'll send ONE warning letter and if you don't pay right away they go after your accounts. Turns out they did send the one letter. However, I was away for 6 weeks this summer and while my DH did check the PO box (where we have all our mail sent) he didn't check over the past two weeks. Pretty crazy.

We did nothing wrong...they received the electronic payment with the tax return, but they didn't apply it to our tax bill. As of now (the end of day two) they still can't find where the money went. They are at least saying they received it (since we sent proof) and it will get rectified in another one to two days after they continue investigating. Oy vey.

Beachclubmum

Reaction score
I once got a letter from the IRS that said I owed them $350,000! The letter said that they would accept a credit card payment, LOL. It was pretty stressful until I finally got it sorted out.

WELCOME to the Gang! That one's a doozy!

Beachclubmum

Reaction score
Well this is getting eerie because I also have had significant oddities with tax crap this year and never before. I got an order to appear from the Sheriff. I have to call Friday to see if the check I'm pretty sure I don't owe was received, then I get into line with the rest claiming I do not owe this. I have a payment plan for Fed, got socked as I was underwithheld. They sent me a letter about keep on the payment plan, but we're investigating your account. So I don't actually know how that is going to wash out as I was pretty sure on what I owed the feds and have been paying some estimated taxes this year.

Cue the eerie Twilight Zone music and join the Gang! Like the Haunted Mansion, there's always room for one more. Hope your mess gets straightened out soon....

Beachclubmum

Reaction score
Tax Wars...the Saga Continues (in case anyone is interested)

We received a phone call this morning from the state saying they finally relocated where they payment went (the "obscure account" no one has been able to find since the very first person we talked to the first day).

They are now saying it will take another week to resolve. This is at odds with what we had been told previously (that there was a system in place that would immediately credit our payment back to the retroactive date once we proved we had paid), but whatever. My DH and I are surmising that the money was put somewhere and it was then removed by someone so they're trying to get it back first and then account for it in their books. Still wonder if it happened due to a dumb mistake or actual fraud by someone in the department.

We are also insisting on a formal letter that states the mistake was theirs in case this pops up again in our credit or banking history.

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Tax Wars...the Saga Continues (in case anyone is interested)

We received a phone call this morning from the state saying they finally relocated where they payment went (the "obscure account" no one has been able to find since the very first person we talked to the first day).

They are now saying it will take another week to resolve. This is at odds with what we had been told previously (that there was a system in place that would immediately credit our payment back to the retroactive date once we proved we had paid), but whatever. My DH and I are surmising that the money was put somewhere and it was then removed by someone so they're trying to get it back first and then account for it in their books. Still wonder if it happened due to a dumb mistake or actual fraud by someone in the department.

We are also insisting on a formal letter that states the mistake was theirs in case this pops up again in our credit or banking history.

As was once said...
"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve." :eek:

geekette

Reaction score
Make sure that letter details everything that happened. I got the Order To Appear after getting a letter that my tax debt is satisfied in full. Threats of seizure of assets, etc. I half expected Sheriff to come yank me out of my house an hour after the letter came.