• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Do you or significant other have a Tattoo?

Do you or significant other have a Tattoo?

• Yes

Votes: 9 14.5%
  • No

Votes: 53 85.5%

• Total voters

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
No. If I wasn't so adverse to needles I might have considered one. Dh is very much opposed. Both dds have them.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
No, I think they're repulsive. I told my dear granddaughter that if she ever got one, her grandmother and I were taking her college fund and spending it on a nice vacation for ourselves.
That is about the way my dh feels. He told both of our dds that if they ever got one while under our roof he'd throw them out. So they both waiting until they were older. And now younger dd, with a tattoo, is back under our roof (working and looking for her own place). Since I have said I might have gotten one if I wasn't so adverse to needles I sided with the dds.

And are you providing your granddaughter's college fund? If so, that is very generous of you.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I think it is generational. My mother would have been horrified if any of us had gotten tattoos. The equivalent of going to prison in her mind. I am not judgmental on other peoples choices, however I don't like my kids getting them because they are permanent and they are beautiful as they are. :)

My college age dd says the attitudes are different now. My dd has one on her inner forearm (argh). Many D1 college athletes have them so there is peer pressure.

I told her to wear a long sleeve shirt recently to a professional job interview so people won't judge her and prevent her from getting the job. She wore a short sleeve and still got the job. This is in LA though so perhaps no one really cares.

They can be removed via laser later when she is older if she regrets her decision.

Last edited:

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think it is generational. My mother would have been horrified if any of us had gotten tattoos. The equivalent of going to prison in her mind. I am not judgmental on other peoples choices, however I don't like my kids getting them because they are permanent and they are beautiful as they are.

My college age dd says the attitudes are different now. My dd has one on her forearm (argh).

I told her to wear a long sleeve shirt recently to a professional job interview so people won't judge her and prevent her from getting the job. She wore a short sleeve and still got the job. This is in LA though so perhaps no one really cares.

They can be removed via laser later and she can pay for this when she is older if she regrets her decision.

Airlines don't want any tattoos visible on Flight Attendant's. It could be a judgement call for other career choices.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Airlines don't want any tattoos visible on Flight Attendant's. It could be a judgement call for other career choices.

Good to know. Of course she is more of a back-end science/math/computer type and won't be a flight attendant but they are not thinking of this.

I was just at the hospital for a routine visit and there were nurses and attendants with visible tats. Most chefs and restaurant workers also have tats visible while working.

It seems that many in Hawaii have them, however that has cultural roots. I love the Hawaiian tattoo designs.

Last edited:

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
One of my daughters works for a national laboratory. Her tattoo is not visible (she has a large one on her back), but I doubt it would have been an issue.

louisianab

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV and Vacation Village at Williamsburg.
I have (non visible) tattoos, multiple. I work in the hospital setting, no patient care - behind the scenes. When I started my job, no visible tattoos, piercings (even dangly earrings), bright hair colors allowed. 10+years later, "tasteful" piercings and tattoos are fine, as are bright colors of hair and as many earrings as you wish.
Times change. Ladies can even wear pants in public now ;)
Not my body, not my business.

Gypsy65

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HIVC
There was a time when hair touching the ears was rebellious for guys
Elvis Presley’s shake was an issue
Short dresses. Etc

Tattoos were associated with certain groups but now that’s no longer the case

Many high profile lawyers have tattoos and ponytails

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Yikes! I don't even have pierced ears, so no tattoos. Cliff (who is also tattoo free) offered me diamond studs if I wanted to get my ears pierced, no thanks! I even turned down a job when I was 20 or so because they wanted me to have a TB test. I was glad they no longer required a blood test for a marriage license, or we might still be living in sin! I used to pass out around needles, hit the floor on at least three occasions. As I got older and blood tests and being knocked out for pain epidurals became part of my life, I just look away and do OK. Even managed to get my shingles shots at the grocery store, and then do my shopping. But the Doctor still orders two blood panels for every one I show up for.

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Quarter House, a handful of East Coast beach resorts
I have a friend who's son got A**HOLE tattooed on his forearm in Old English lettering. Putting it mildly, she was furious! and thought he was doomed to a life of troubles (or a life as a trouble-maker.) A couple years later he had it converted to something artsy. He's now a corrections officer.

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
No Tattoo. One of my kids (son) has one. I think it was his last.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Yikes! I don't even have pierced ears, so no tattoos. Cliff (who is also tattoo free) offered me diamond studs if I wanted to get my ears pierced, no thanks! I even turned down a job when I was 20 or so because they wanted me to have a TB test. I was glad they no longer required a blood test for a marriage license, or we might still be living in sin! I used to pass out around needles, hit the floor on at least three occasions. As I got older and blood tests and being knocked out for pain epidurals became part of my life, I just look away and do OK. Even managed to get my shingles shots at the grocery store, and then do my shopping. But the Doctor still orders two blood panels for every one I show up for.
My younger dd, the one with the large tattoo on her back, HATES needles. She has passed out after having blood drawn and also after vaccinations. She will avoid shots unless they are absolutely necessary. So for her to go under the needle for this tattoo (which took several hours) she had to have really wanted it badly.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
My dd's is tasteful. It is a flower design. No names and nothing political. My son never got one.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I don't have anything tattooed or pierced. Funny, you'd think as a 20-year career Navy sailor I'd have at least one. Something with an anchor on it, or a sailing ship, or a mermaid, or something. But truth be told, I've never found a design I like well enough to want to wear for the rest of my life. Until recently:

I've been thinking I'd like to have a tribal Honu design on my upper arm, that would fit under the sleeve of a t-shirt. Unlike so many, if I do this, it'd be for my enjoyment, not to show off to the world. The idea of it is appealing, but so far, I have no finalized artistic designs.

My connection to Hawaii is deep and honorable, and I identify with the Honu as my aumakua. Wearing it as a symbol of that honor and respect would be very meaningful to me.

We'll see. I'll be in Hawaii for three weeks next year.

Dave

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
Age is only a state of mind.

I agree. However, I'm old enough to have recognized the bad decisions I've made along the way and have come to regret. I'm also old enough to know how my body has changed over the years and how much it has yet to change. I have no need to rebel, or to seek attention, in such a permanent manner.

Sometimes I just want to say, "What WERE you thinking?" to some people. But, ultimately, not my problem.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
I don't have anything tattooed ........ Funny, you'd think as a 20-year career Navy sailor I'd have at least one. Something with an anchor on it, or a sailing ship or a mermaid,....recently....I've been thinking I'd like to have a tribal Honu design on my upper arm .......as a symbol of that honor and respect would be very meaningful to me.
Dave

I think the generational thing worked this way
< at least for me>.

I was born in 1955 . When I was age 10-13 - the dad’s of friends and acquaintances were the guys who served in WW ll or Korea - and had crew cuts and the snakes & anchor tattoos etc. They were 35- 45 years old . (so actually pretty young)

When your 10 to 13 years old - no one wants to emulate the look of your friend’s dad .
I wanted to grow my hair longer - like the Beatles & Rolling Stones / so a crew cut & tatoo’s were not really high on the list / and still aren’t .

That said - your tribal Hona design as a symbol of honour and respect - sounds like a meaningful reason to get a tattoo .

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I agree. However, I'm old enough to have recognized the bad decisions I've made along the way and have come to regret. I'm also old enough to know how my body has changed over the years and how much it has yet to change. I have no need to rebel, or to seek attention, in such a permanent manner.

Sometimes I just want to say, "What WERE you thinking?" to some people. But, ultimately, not my problem.
So what you are saying is "I'm old enough to know better.............for me". You first statement kind of puts down everyone who has tattoos.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
So what you are saying is "I'm old enough to know better.............for me". You first statement kind of puts down everyone who has tattoos.

It wasn't intended as a put down; only to convey my own personal opinion based on my own experience. Do you think finding it a "put down" might come from a place of needing to defend?

Reactions: jme

Blues

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
And are you providing your granddaughter's college fund? If so, that is very generous of you.

Yes, we have a college fund for her which we totally funded. Not enough to pay everything for 4 years of college at current rates. More like enough to pay one year, or 20-25% of each year for 4 years. It's a substantial amount. Thanks for the compliment. We've always been very proactive about her education.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
It wasn't intended as a put down; only to convey my own personal opinion based on my own experience. Do you think finding it a "put down" might come from a place of needing to defend?
No comment.

Blues

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I was glad they no longer required a blood test for a marriage license, or we might still be living in sin! I used to pass out around needles, hit the floor on at least three occasions.

I understand, and share your phobia of having blood drawn. In fact, when we got married, my DW and I took advantage of California's "certificate of confidential marriage." Why? Because it doesn't require a blood test. Interesting fact -- no one but ourselves can confirm that DW and I are legally married.