• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Do you or significant other have a Tattoo?

Do you or significant other have a Tattoo?

• Yes

Votes: 9 14.5%
  • No

Votes: 53 85.5%

• Total voters

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
I remember during the spread of the AIDS epidemic in the 80's and 90's people were blaming some of it on reusing the needles..... which definitely had some truth. The other issue of spreading AIDS in the Tattoo Industry was "reusing the ink" (which interestingly enough some had never thought of).

Today, most Tattoo recipients are much more aware of these things, as well as those in the Tattoo business themselves.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I understand, and share your phobia of having blood drawn. In fact, when we got married, my DW and I took advantage of California's "certificate of confidential marriage." Why? Because it doesn't require a blood test. Interesting fact -- no one can confirm that DW and I are legally married, other than ourselves.
When my first husband and I were married (in California) we had blood tests. He passed out, I didn't. For some reason when we went to get the license we didn't have the blood test results with us. Oh, don't have them? No worries, just sign a waiver. What! Why did we even have the tests?

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
I agree. However, I'm old enough to have recognized the bad decisions I've made along the way and have come to regret. I'm also old enough to know how my body has changed over the years and how much it has yet to change.

About two years ago, at age 61, I suddenly realized why there were so many adds for "crepey skin" products. I could twist my forearm and see the crepey marks. Two years later I don't have to do any twisting at all to see the crepe lines and ridges. I can't imagine what lower arm tattoos would look like in just a few more years, especially since the sleeve type of tattoo seems to be so popular. I do enjoy an occasional evening of binge watching Say Yes To the Dress, and cringe at heavily tattooed brides. The only tattooed bride I thought looked good had really black hair and a goth style going on in her every day clothing, so when they dressed her up in a Victorian inspired gown she looked pretty cool. But then again I have a pretty good collection of Dia de Los Muertos stuff, and her Morticia style fit right in!

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Nope. And neither does our millennial age son.

I don’t mind one or two on a man. Or maybe a really small one on a woman, but that’s about it.

I absolutely hate the sleeves and massive ones on either sex. Looks trashy or even criminal like.

And don’t get me started about the crazy piercings.

That said- it’s your body and you can do what you like.

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
I have two . . . got my first as I approached 40 . . . and the second about 4 years later.

My DH has none and doesn't care for them at all. We met literally as I was planning for the second one and I've agreed to no more once we were together.

mentalbreak

TUG Member
Reaction score
No tattoos in our household yet. Every year or so the subject comes up with my kids, and we talk about how they are permanent (or expensive to remove), skin changes, and there are employers that could require you to cover up a tatoo.
I also ask them “if you got a tattoo today, what would it be”. They have yet to have the same answer twice, and I am pretty sure neither of their adult selves would be pleased with some of their previous answers (Minecraft, high school mascot)

louisianab

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV and Vacation Village at Williamsburg.
I remember during the spread of the AIDS epidemic in the 80's and 90's people were blaming some of it on reusing the needles..... which definitely had some truth. The other issue of spreading AIDS in the Tattoo Industry was "reusing the ink" (which interestingly enough some had never thought of).

Today, most Tattoo recipients are much more aware of these things, as well as those in the Tattoo business themselves.

Most locations now are inspected by the health department and have fairly strict regulations. That doesn't stop "home parties" or rogue tattooers, but if I'm letting you touch me, I'm going to look up your inspection.

JudyH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Nope. Not us. Not our kids. My son after high school 2000 wanted to know what would happen if he got a tattoo and I told him it would be a choice between the tattoo and the new Tacoma truck we got him. He chose the truck and got his nipple pierced instead. It’s still there. He was always short and small. I think it was his way of looking tough. Now he is a major weight lifter.

#1 Cowboys Fan

TUG Member
Reaction score
I never have----but my TUG name implies what I would have IF my choice had been to get one.

Instead, I have a tooth crown, with a STAR on it...............

Pat

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Quarter House, a handful of East Coast beach resorts
I do enjoy an occasional evening of binge watching Say Yes To the Dress, and cringe at heavily tattooed brides.
I told my daughter years ago (only half-joking) if I can see a tattoo while she's in her wedding dress, I'm not coming.... thus the hip tattoos.

Conan

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
My partner got a tattoo of a sea turtle---and not a small one---on her thigh when she turned 50. In her words: "It's never too late for your first time, so do the damn thing you've wanted to do." I haven't ever had a thing I wanted to have permanently until recently; I am thinking about commemorating my entry into recovery, but am not exactly sure how. But that feels like something worthy of "permanent."

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Leviticus 19:28 prohibits tattoos, so they're off limits for observant Jews.
https://biblehub.com/leviticus/19-28.htm
Boy- There's yet another good reason to avoid tattoos. I figured if I was ever going to convert, it was a good thing my parents already laid the ground work by assuring I already had that 'other' surgery. Whew!

Jim

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
No tattoos here. I hate them. My father had at least 3 from when he was in the navy. I will never forget his story regarding his large bicep tattoo. It started out as a cross with Mother written inside the cross. When he woke up sober and realized what he had done back to the tattoo parlor he went to get it covered up. His mom had passed and he was horrified with what he had done. The tattoo ended up as a cross with a serpent around it, like the symbol for medical doctors. He also had a playboy bunny tattooed on his ass which the family could see through his white undies.

I married a Jewish man who really taught me to despise them, then we got divorced and the girlfriend has at least 5. She’s a bartender. Insert nickname here ........

Personally a tattoo on a women says something that ought not be said. I think they are trashy. Both my kids want a tattoo. So far only my daughter is tattoo free. I tell her it is far more unique these days not to have one. Then I threaten her with $$$ so far so good, hopefully she will remain unmarked. As her mom I know how fickle she is, there is no way she will like what she likes today forever. She would definitely regret a tattoo.

People can get as many tattoos as they like it’s their body, but I don’t have to like tattoos just because its the current trend.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
@DaveNW I like the Hawaiian/Polynesian designs. Do you have an image of what you are describing looks like?

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Personally a tattoo on a women says something that ought not be said. I think they are trashy.

I find your comment offensive and judgmental of others. Why wouldn't it pertain to guys too if what you believe is true?

Kids these days consider it a form of self expression - although you many not want it for your kids (which I understand, I don't want it for my kids either), you will be misjudging a lot of people if you go by this outdated belief.

Last edited:

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Leviticus 19:28 prohibits tattoos, so they're off limits for observant Jews.
https://biblehub.com/leviticus/19-28.htm

The bible also says that ALL laws are just and should be followed...yeah, right. I wonder how Hitler's laws would have been interpreted?

I'm all for the bible but just like history, it is written/interpreted by humans and there are limits.

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
I find your comment offensive and judgmental of others. Why wouldn't it pertain to guys too if what you believe is true?

Kids these days consider it a form of self expression - although you many not want it for your kids (which I understand, I don't want it for my kids either), you will be misjudging a lot of people if you go by this outdated belief.

Just my opinion. People find other people’s opinions offensive all the time. Doesn’t change how you or I feel on the topic.

Dear Dad had a saying ; opinions are like a**holes everybody has one.

I don’t like tattoos on anyone but as a women I find it particularly trashy looking on women. Again just my opinion, why is a tattoo on a women’s lower back called a tramp stamp?

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
Personally a tattoo on a women says something that ought not be said.
My daughter has the outline of a heart on her inner right wrist. She used to draw that when she was in a darker place, and having it reminds her that she no longer has to be in that place. So you can jump right back on that high horse of yours, and ride it back to wherever you came from. And, along the way, welcome to my ignore list.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Personally a tattoo on a women says something that ought not be said. I think they are trashy. Both my kids want a tattoo. So far only my daughter is tattoo free. I tell her it is far more unique these days not to have one. Then I threaten her with $$$ so far so good, hopefully she will remain unmarked. As her mom I know how fickle she is, there is no way she will like what she likes today forever. She would definitely regret a tattoo.

People can get as many tattoos as they like it’s their body, but I don’t have to like tattoos just because its the current trend.
Any my dear mother thought pierced ears were trashy, as when she was growing up it was only an ethnic "thing". Both my sister and I have pierced ears

If you feel threatening your children with money will work go for it. My grandfather offered my cousin (same age as me) $200 if she'd stop smoking. This was during our first year of college. Since I had never smoked I felt (in some twisted way) that he should give me $200 as well. When he didn't, what did I do? Started smoking.

Good luck with your threats.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
@turkel Perhaps if you accept others for who they are - not how they look - you may be pleasantly surprised by who you meet.

When your daughter gets that tattoo (which she will get despite your threats), you may think differently.

BTW...blue or black tattoos can also be removed by laser if she really regrets it.

Last edited:

MrockStar

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
None in our family so far. My wife an myself will never volentarily get one. Mostly because as christians its prohibitied in the bible and slaves where marked with them, also Jews inconcentation camps by the nazi. So not such great images/reasons. Whowever its a free society and i support freewill.

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
There is an old Urban Legend. If you are jewish and you get a tattoo you can't be buried in a Jewish cemetery. That is a bunch of rubbish. I know of jewish friends that had tattoo's and were buried in Hebrew cemetery. Non-sense. Also know of many other Jewish friends young and old that have tattoo's. I think its a personal and family view of tattoo or not to tattoo.

As for me I don't have one nor does anyone in my family.

However... I would secretly like to get one of a cat, cat's paw's, or something related to aviation. Then I stop and think how invasive and permanent it is.

As the years go by the tattoo's fade and then they get blurred as the skin ages.

Personally I don't judge people if they have any skin ink. They are so prevalent these days.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
@DaveNW I like the Hawaiian/Polynesian designs. Do you have an image of what you are describing looks like?

I haven't finalized anything yet, but I know I'd want something tribal that evokes the spirit of the Honu. These ideas below are just some images I've collected from various places online - none are better than any other. I think when I get to Hawaii next Summer I'll talk with a tattoo artist and see what ideas they may have. There are any number of tattoo artists on the Mainland I could use, but this has to carry a feeling of the aumakua from someone with Hawaiian roots - the artist has to know the spiritual aspect of what I'm after, and help me to achieve it. I also don't want this to be huge tattoo, maybe only about 4 inches square, so I know it can't be too detailed. But who knows? It's all up for negotiation. As I said, "We'll see." :)

Dave

Honu1.jpg

Honu2.png

Honu3.jpg

Honu4.jpg

Honu5.jpg

Honu6.jpg