• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What happens if Marriott sells any Vistana property?

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
I don't know about that. Since Vistana is no longer selling weeks at many properties and is only selling Flex points I would hate to be that one who purchased Flex points because I wanted to be an owner of Timeshare A only to have Timeshare A cease to be part of the Flex product.

But when you buy any trust product you are not buying a right to any specific resort. You are only buying an interest in a trust. When you buy a trust and a new resort is later added, you have just as much a right to book that new resort as one of the resorts that was owned when you bought. It would seem to reason that if the trust can add new resorts/weeks they could also remove them as long as they replaced the value of the removed intervals with others of equal value.

I don’t think anyone should buy into a trust with the expectation that they will be able to access any specific property. Sales can promise anything, but I don’t think trust ownership conveys occupancy rights to any specific interval. You are just a co-owner in a sense of whatever the trust owns and that can change over time.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
The terms of the Westin Flex trust (and probably the Sheraton trust as well - haven’t read through that one) allow the trust to move weeks in or out of the trust as they see fit.

Keep in mind that if the intervals were moved out of the trust they would either have to have a buyer lined up to take the weeks over (and pay the MFs) or pay for the weeks themselves - unless the resort was closing.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
There is also a Vista owned property in Puerto Vallarta that they are planning to convert to timeshare. I wonder if that is possibly on the block for sale?

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
The terms of the Westin Flex trust (and probably the Sheraton trust as well - haven’t read through that one) allow the trust to move weeks in or out of the trust as they see fit.

Keep in mind that if the intervals were moved out of the trust they would either have to have a buyer lined up to take the weeks over (and pay the MFs) or pay for the weeks themselves - unless the resort was closing.

If they were planning to sell a flex-owned property - for example, something like the Westin Cancun Resort that is part hotel/part flex-owned timeshare - then I assume any entity buying the hotel would also agree to buy the trust-owned weeks so they could convert them back to hotel rooms/suites. Since they said any sales would be "non-core assets" I would think the developed properties that would be the most likely candidates for sale would be the combo hotel/flex timeshare properties like Sheraton Kauai and Westin Cancun, where there are only trust/flex owners and no individual weeks owners. Without individual weeks owners to deal with, it would seem to be fairly easy to convert the property back to a hotel if they wanted to. Any property with individual weeks owners would be much more difficult, if not impossible to de-timeshare and sell.

I suspect, however, that most of what they are trying to sell is the undeveloped land rather than these combo hotel/timeshares.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
It would seem to reason that if the trust can add new resorts/weeks they could also remove them as long as they replaced the value of the removed intervals with others of equal value.

My guess is that the first half of the above statement is correct; i.e they can sell any Weeks they want to at their discretion. I'm not so sure about the replacing them with others of equal value part...

George

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
My guess is that the first half of the above statement is correct; i.e they can sell any Weeks they want to at their discretion. I'm not so sure about the replacing them with others of equal value part...

George
They just can't drop the total number of points owned by the trust to where it would be less than the total sold. So there is not necessarily a need to replace sold weeks, as long as they can cover all sold points with what the trust owns.