• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Confused in Vegas :)

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
I love Vegas...16 hour drive from here.

Isn’t there a lot of timeshares to choose from there? Some, I know, offer regular shuttles to the strip. Maybe look at the best MF for your travel dollar.

I know...cheapskate is my middle name.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The OP isn’t looking to stay in Vegas. They are looking to buy points in the HGVC system and use them at other resorts. Vegas has some of the cheapest MF’s in the system.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
This. It’s why I think that The Boulevard is the best option. With a +$1500 difference in price and -$200 difference in MF over The Flamingo, that will be made up in 8 years. With Paradise, it will be a 10 year break even point over The Flamingo, but The Boulevard only has a 5 year break even over Paradise. This is why I would rank the purchases in this order: 1. Boulevard, 2. Flamingo, 3. Paradise. If you can get any of them cheaper, I would move that one to the top.

One last thing to think of. If you decide on Boulevard or Paradise, go through the ROFR process and it gets exercised, someone could see that Flamingo unit as a great deal and buy it before the ROFR is exercised on the other property. If you purchase at The Flamingo, you know you will get it as it has no ROFR.

I am not following your math on this.

If you only have a 5 year horizon, the lowest purchase price will trump any MF savings if you include both purchase price and MF in the calculation.

If you plan to own 5 years (purchase price + (5* MF) then:

1) Flamingo $10,435 over 5 years.
2) Paradise $10,900
3) BLVD: $11,000

The time value of money (which states that a $1 today is worth more than a $1 tomorrow) only makes this purchase price discount benefit greater because the extra $ spent on MF in future years is discounted.

Last edited:

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I am not following your math on this.

If you only have a 5 year horizon, the lowest purchase price will trump any MF savings if you include both purchase price and MF in the calculation.

If you plan to own 5 years (purchase price + (5* MF) then:

1) Flamingo $10,435 over 5 years.
2) Paradise $10,900
3) BLVD: $11,000

The time value of money (which states that a $1 today is worth more than a $1 tomorrow) only makes this purchase price discount benefit greater because the extra $ spend on MF in future years is discounted.

Eh, I was trying to show something, but it’s not worth explaining again.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
I liked it when the still had Quark's Bar at the Las Vegas Hilton...Warp Core Breach, anyone?
Was that the name of those fish-bowl drinks w/ the dry ice in them? I was there for a guys weekend many years back and I believe I drank 1 & 1/2 of those myself (I think they were meant to share between 3-4 people!). Now I am a tall, big guy, but my buddies had to help me out of there that night and it couldn't have been easy. :eek: It was a crazy, fun time! :D

Kurt

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Was that the name of those fish-bowl drinks w/ the dry ice in them? I was there for a guys weekend many years back and I believe I drank 1 & 1/2 of those myself (I think they were meant to share between 3-4 people!). Now I am a tall, big guy, but my buddies had to help me out of there that night and it couldn't have been easy. :eek: It was a crazy, fun time! :D

Kurt

LoL What happens in Vegas...

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score

Kurt

That was it, indeed. We never actually had it since it was that large. But we saw it enough times :)

"A friend will bail you out of jail. A good friend will be sitting in the cell next to you saying 'damn, that was fun'."

Cheers.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
"A friend will bail you out of jail. A good friend will be sitting in the cell next to you saying 'damn, that was fun'."
That reminds me of another one:

"A friend will help you move. A good friend will help you move... the body." :eek:

Kurt

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Agreed. Don’t mean to keep pushing Elara but that’s where we found our AMAZING deal!

Where did you find it listed? Most Elara's I see with decent HGVC points tend to have a premium. I would love to find a bargain HGVC Elara. Great resort.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
TCHOA25 has a 7k platinum 1BR grand on eBay right now for $6,650. He lists the MF as $891.81 (membership fee not included). He has listed it at least three times and gradually been lowering the price. I bought my Flamingo from him and found him to be prompt, trustworthy, and a good communicator. I have no stake or involvement with the listing. I am looking for an Elara bargain too, but am taking my sweet time.

Where did you find it listed? Most Elara's I see with decent HGVC points tend to have a premium. I would love to find a bargain HGVC Elara. Great resort.

Last edited:

Finsadbel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
ELARA, Las Vegas
Last edited:

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
TCHOA has a 7k platinum 1BR grand on eBay right now for $6,650. He lists the MF as $891.81 (membership fee not included). He has listed it at least three times and gradually been lowering the price. I bought my Flamingo from him and found him to be prompt, trustworthy, and a good communicator. I have no stake or involvement with the listing. I am looking for an Elara bargain too, but am taking my sweet time.

I can also vouch for tochoa25. Just finished a deal with them for Paradise and found them fast, efficient and easy to work with. Another option (this is what I did) is to contact them after the listing expires and make an offer outside of eBay. Perfectly within rules., AFAIK, and they do work this way.

Cheers.

pharmacistking

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Bella
SDO
The Grandview Las Vegas
MVC Grand Chateau
Just won an auction from a Postcard company for a 5000 points HGVC on the boulevard. For a ridiculously low amount... Will keep you posted if it passes ROFR.

Finsadbel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
ELARA, Las Vegas
Just watched a Platinum Odd Use Year 8400 points at Breckinridge go for $0.77 on eBay. Doubt it passes ROFR, but WOW!

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Just watched a Platinum Odd Use Year 8400 points at Breckinridge go for $0.77 on eBay. Doubt it passes ROFR, but WOW!
No ROFR at Valdoro AFAIK. Crazy price, but note that this is most likely a summer Platinum week, and would not get you a ski week. Given the fairly high MF at Valdoro, this may not be as big of a bargain as you think.

Kurt

Finsadbel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
ELARA, Las Vegas
You’re right. And I completely forgot about the no ROFR there. Still a crazy price.

Maryland_jim

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am looking ay Vegas Ebay offerings.
I asked seller but no help there. What I am uncertain about is whether I can use the ownership interest as points for staying at other HGVC properties. I thought that this was a points based system but looking at the ads, I get the impression that my assumption might be wrong and that the usage is only at same property- any help is appreciated, Jim M

Hilton Grand Vacations On Paradise 10,000 HGVC points!
( 312846068116 )

HILTON VACATION CLUB ELARA 10,000 ANNUAL TIMESHARE FOR SALE!
( 333381565624 )
Details

PROPERTY INFORMATION FEES DUE AT TIME OF SALE

Maintenance Fees 2020:
$1,985.54 Paid By Buyer
Usage
Annual Settlement Fee
(Closing Cost)
$550.00 Paid By Buyer
Type of Ownership
Deeded Resort Transfer Fee
$473 (Transfer Fee) Due at Closing
Paid By Buyer

$609 (Club Activation Fee) Will be billed directly by Hilton once transferred.
$176 (Club Dues; if not HGVC points member) Will be billed directly by Hilton once transferred.
All these fees are Hilton fees, not seller fees.
Trading Company
RCI Plus The Winning Bid $TBD?
Maintenance & Taxes (APPROX.)
$1,985.54 Yearly
Availability

What Is A Timeshare?
  • Points: allows the owner to choose which dates they wish to travel each year based on the number of points that comprise their points based ownership
  • Fixed Week: guarantees the owners use of that same week each year (or every other year)
  • Floating Week: allows the owner to choose which week they wish to travel each year based on the weeks that comprise their specific floating week ownership.
  • Fractional ownership of a unit at a resort; most commonly for one week of usage.
  • There are three common types of timeshares: Fixed Week, Floating Weeks, and Points.
  • Usage of the timeshare can vary depending on the specific ownership. The two most common forms of usage are Annual (every year) and Biennial (every other year).
  • Almost all timeshare resorts are affiliated with an exchange company which allows you to trade your week so that you can travel to a different resort of your choice.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Yes, you can use points for most HGVC properties at 9 months. Underlying this is a deed. Each deed is assigned a fixed number of points.

These are bundled deeds (2 deeds x 5000 points). You can use your home week or use at 9 months in the club for 10,000 points. 2x bundle is harder to dispose because some people don't want to pay the higher maint fees and you cannot split cost effectively into two 5000 deeds. Better MF/point to go with a 7k+ unit unless they are selling these bundles ridiculously cheap to offset the higher MF/point.

Last edited:

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
@Maryland_jim - I would learn more about the HGVC system before I went and purchased a deed, especially from eBay. It’s a great system and, when purchased correctly, can save you money. Platinum units give you more bang for your buck.

Timeshares are easy to get into, but can be much harder to get rid of. Life happens and you may need to divest yourself of the timeshare and platinum units are much easier to sell or even give away. Read the forum and learn. Keep asking questions as this forum is extremely helpful with their answers.

Good luck and don’t be stranger.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
These are bundled deeds (2 deeds x 5000 points).

If this indeed 2x contracts in one bundle (and that does seem to be the case), it is likely that it will be 2x$609 for the transfer. Best to confirm this with the seller in advance.

Cheers.

Maryland_jim

TUG Member
Reaction score
@Maryland_jim - I would learn more about the HGVC system before I went and purchased a deed, especially from eBay. It’s a great system and, when purchased correctly, can save you money. Platinum units give you more bang for your buck.

Timeshares are easy to get into, but can be much harder to get rid of. Life happens and you may need to divest yourself of the timeshare and platinum units are much easier to sell or even give away. Read the forum and learn. Keep asking questions as this forum is extremely helpful with their answers.

Good luck and don’t be stranger.
Thanks for your reply and for BRP & CalGal-very helpful for sure.
I have done Wyndham for 10 years; I recently attended a HGVC sale presentation and did so 6 years ago. I've stayed at HGVC At Flamingo. Really enjoy that location. Wyndman at Grand Desert is okay location but love Flamingo location.
Seems like buying deeded at Flamingo might be preferable but if I can purchase $7k points at Paradise or BLVD, that might be more economical. Is the advance reservation period at Flamingo really important or is there generally availability at 9 months?
BLVD and Paradise seem to be off the beaten track to me, but maybe I should consider those locations next time I come to Vegas?
Best to all!
Jim

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
We own at Paradise 7k points. But never stayed there. We stay at Elara to be center strip (or Hawaii) with our points. We could also stay at Flamingo or Trump if we desired. Points are points. You don't have to own where you want to stay. Vegas has plenty of inventory and is easy to reserve. Other places like Waikiki in summer, not so much.

Last edited: