• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Where to buy?

chazpbg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Since I now am dealing with fact my RCI points-affiliated resort is filing for bankruptcy, I'm looking for where to buy. I really like my points. But I also don't want to spend a whole lot...

So... where can I get the most bang for the buck? Meaning a resort where the maintenance fees will translate to a hefty amount of points (I generally don't care about staying at the place, I want the points) and the purchase price will be low. Additionally, I want a resort that's relatively stable -- meaning no huge annual increases in fees or assessments or other surprises. Also, a place that ideally won't go bankrupt anytime soon.

Oh, and it wouldn't hurt if it's a place that will do a deedback... just so I have an exit strategy.

Yes, I'm asking for the world. But TUGgers are a smart bunch who know how to scope these things out, so I figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
Try the bargain basement here on TUG and perhaps EBay. Many times you can get a great place for a buck or even free. Heck, I just saw a Grandview in Vegas 2 bedroom with 121 k RCI points annually for a buck, free transfers AND a 200 Visa Card upon completion on EBay.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Hi,
Do you get any use of the points from your timeshare now? It depends on where you want to own.
Maybe a RTU or Bi Annual would be better.
We own fixed weeks at 4 different resorts. Check ads on Marketplace to find a timeshare that might suit your needs.
Silentg

chazpbg

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've owned resorts strictly for trading purposes -- I got in and purchased South Africa when that was the way to go. I really just like seeing what I can find with RCI. But do need to check those ads...

Re Grandview: I've seen them pop up a fair bit when I looked about a year ago. I just wonder if that's the kinda place that will be difficult to sell down the road or deedback (the proverbial exit strategy...).

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
I've owned resorts strictly for trading purposes -- I got in and purchased South Africa when that was the way to go. I really just like seeing what I can find with RCI. But do need to check those ads...

Re Grandview: I've seen them pop up a fair bit when I looked about a year ago. I just wonder if that's the kinda place that will be difficult to sell down the road or deedback (the proverbial exit strategy...).

I do think grandview would be hard to sell however if you get it for a buck, free transfer and 200 dollar card, you can easily resell it for the same you got it for on EBay. That one I just mentioned sold in less than a day. The maintenance there is low for the points.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you hold out for a Grandview that's already in RCI Points, you won't get it for a buck, but it will hold it's value. We always use a penny a point/MF as a 'good value' point ratio for RCI Points and Grandview consistantly comes in a $.0075ish per point, so that's a LOT of bang for your MF $$! The buildings are concrete, and Las Vegas doesn't have hurricanes or fires, so don't expect assessments. It's a poorly kept secret, but these can be bought, you just have to keep watching places like eBay.

Jim

iwanttoflyaway

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've been looking fairly constantly for the kind of Grandview contract mentioned above, and somehow missed that one. Can't find it in completed auctions, either, but the deals are definitely out there. There are also some great deals at Massanutten, but they're less common. Good luck!

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Check out TimeshareNation.com I see free GrandViews listed there. BTW...I know nothing about the site so do your due diligence.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
If you hold out for a Grandview that's already in RCI Points, you won't get it for a buck, but it will hold it's value. We always use a penny a point/MF as a 'good value' point ratio for RCI Points and Grandview consistantly comes in a $.0075ish per point, so that's a LOT of bang for your MF $$! The buildings are concrete, and Las Vegas doesn't have hurricanes or fires, so don't expect assessments. It's a poorly kept secret, but these can be bought, you just have to keep watching places like eBay.

Jim

I just checked now Jim..Here was the results of today’s quick search and I’ve seen better than this often.

IMG_0138.jpg
ec11166a4c23d1c1495356bcba87bfce.jpg

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just checked now Jim..Here was the results of today’s quick search and I’ve seen better than this often.
OP wants RCI Points. This is fixed week. The bargain is the low MF/point ratio.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
OP wants RCI Points. This is fixed week. The bargain is the low MF/point ratio.

I’ve seen ones with RCI points ranging from 98000 to 121 k points often for a buck. They are out there. You just need to look and be diligent. That was only a quick search.

I agree. The MF to points value at Grandview are very good.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
If there is a Resort you think you will use year after year, call them and ask if they are holding any foreclosed Weeks they will give you for free. Their incentive is to start getting MFs flowing again on the Week. This worked for me once...

George

Clever idea. I know of one case who got a FREE, yes FREE, (I didn’t believe him until he showed me the paperwork) Maui Ocean Club. Yes, it’s a one bedroom pool view. He called up Owner Services and asked if they have any units they want to rid themselves of in inventory. Initially, they said no so he gave them his number in case something pops up. 6 months later they called him. They even covered the transfer costs.

So, if you are lucky, you can get the resort you want for nothing if you don’t care about the view or the number of bedrooms.