• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Do Good December....Want to join me?

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Overall, I'm a good person. But, day to day I miss opportunities to be a better person.

I have announced to my family that everyday in December I will try to find one thing to do for someone/something else that I normally would not. I have asked them to do the same.

I think of simple opportunities that I passed up on over the last few weeks:

1. The person driving around that obviously can't find what they are looking for. They pulled over...I drove by. I could have easily lowered my window to ask if they needed directions.
2. The salvation army bell ringers that I always avoid because I never have any cash on me. I need to put a small cash stash in my car.
3. The man that offered us his table at a local breakfast spot and went to sit at the counter so we could have room to eat. I should have paid for his breakfast.
4. The $5 bag of groceries that my local grocer is selling to give to the area elderly. Buy one of those!
5. Drop off a bag of pet food in the bin at a local store to send to a shelter.
6. My employer has a list of kids in a group home that need a few presents for the holidays. It has been up for weeks, I need to go pick a name or two.

The list goes on and on.

Would you care to join me? If so, I ask that we use this thread to mention some of our good deeds. Not for the recognition of doing them, but to inspire others to do the same.

Last edited:

Brett

Reaction score
Overall, I'm a good person. But, day to day I miss opportunities to be a better person.

I have announced to my family that everyday in December I will try to find one thing to do for someone/something else that I normally would not. I have asked them to do the same.

1. The person driving around that obviously can't find what they are looking for. They pulled over...I drove by. I could have easily lowered my window to ask if they needed directions.

2. The salvation army bell ringers that I always avoid because I never have any cash on me. I need to put a small cash stash in my car.

3. The man that offered us his table at a local breakfast spot and went to sit at the counter so we could have room to eat. I should have paid for his breakfast.

4. The $5 bag of groceries that my local grocer is selling to give to the area elderly. Buy one of those!

6. My employer has a list of kids in a group home that need a few presents for the holidays. It has been up for weeks, I need to go pick a name or two.

The list goes on and on.

Would you care to join me? If so, I ask that we use this thread to mention some of our good deeds. Not for the recognition of doing them, but to inspire others to do the same.

sure, I'll join.

WalnutBaron

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe

The list goes on and on.

Fantastic idea! I’m in. Here’s one idea, but folks have to act fast if interested: go to samaritanspurse.org and sign up to fill up a shoebox of small toys and clothing for children around the world. And if you’re interested, you can donate an extra two dollars to track your gift to see where it ends up when it is given to the child you blessed.

Winter is right around the corner and I have several very good winter coats that just hang in the closet. Time to put them to good use and donate them to the local Goodwill or Gospel Mission.

Time to pay it forward while in line at Starbucks. I’ll hand the cashier a $20 bill and say “Use this for those behind me in line til it runs out.”

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
When thinking of Food Banks they prefer cash to a Box of Food. They can leverage the Cash. We donate automatically on a monthly basis. We support the only true Family Shelter in Salem Oregon throughout the year but for Christmas we adopt one of the families to fulfill their Wish List. Also all the Presents for the 20+ Families get delivered to our House. Patti organizes various Wrapping Parties. We then deliver all the Gifts a few days before Christmas.

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
A regional food bank can turn a $1 cash donation into $6 worth of food. However, there are some local food pantries that aren't tied to a Second Harvest-affiliated food bank, and they are good locations for physical food donations. But cash is always best, because it can be turned in to whatever is needed most at any given moment.

Kindness is always good. I would love for folks to be as kind to others--in the unknown aggregate--as we tend to be to other individuals standing in front of us.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
When thinking of Food Banks they prefer cash to a Box of Food. They can leverage the Cash. We donate automatically on a monthly basis. We support the only true Family Shelter in Salem Oregon throughout the year but for Christmas we adopt one of the families to fulfill their Wish List. Also all the Presents for the 20+ Families get delivered to our House. Patti organizes various Wrapping Parties. We then deliver all the Gifts a few days before Christmas.

That is what I am doing. $$

We have several charities we donate to on a monthly basis also.

Heaven knows I donated tons of stuff to Goodwill and other organizations this year with our downsizing!

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
I ran across a really good article entitled "Ten Overlooked People You Should Give Gifts To This Christmas". Here's the list:
  • The Mailman, who faithfully delivers the mail six days a week, rain or shine
  • The Waiter, if you're eating out on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day, since chances are they are missing a family gathering in order to serve you
  • Our servicemen and women; donations can be made through www.operationcarepackages.org
  • First responders, especially those on duty on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day
  • Bus drivers
  • Your favorite grocery store clerk
  • Trash Collectors
  • Nursing Home Residents, who are often forgotten this time of year (sadly)
  • Cleaning staff at your office or place of work
  • Crossing Guards
Ideas for gifts to give? Target or Walmart gift cards. Homemade cookies or hot chocolate. Scented candles. Gloves. Travel coffee mugs. A fresh-baked pie. A Redbox gift card.

Thanks again, @mdurette , for the great idea.

missyrcrews

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cold Spring Resort, Acadia Village Resort, Samoset Resort
I love this! One nice idea is to drop $20 or so off at your local public school for them to use to pay off some child's lunch bill. I have several kiddos on my radar at the middle school I work at. The anxiety around being able to eat lunch is a real issue for many of them. Many are too proud to ask for credit/etc and will just go hungry or take food that others don't want. So I make sure that their accounts never "run dry." <3 Simple enough for me to do, and it makes a difference in their ability to learn.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I ran across a really good article entitled "Ten Overlooked People You Should Give Gifts To This Christmas". Here's the list:
  • The Mailman, who faithfully delivers the mail six days a week, rain or shine
  • The Waiter, if you're eating out on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day, since chances are they are missing a family gathering in order to serve you
  • Our servicemen and women; donations can be made through www.operationcarepackages.org
  • First responders, especially those on duty on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day
  • Bus drivers
  • Your favorite grocery store clerk
  • Trash Collectors
  • Nursing Home Residents, who are often forgotten this time of year (sadly)
  • Cleaning staff at your office or place of work
  • Crossing Guards
Ideas for gifts to give? Target or Walmart gift cards. Homemade cookies or hot chocolate. Scented candles. Gloves. Travel coffee mugs. A fresh-baked pie. A Redbox gift card.

Thanks again, @mdurette , for the great idea.

I always gave our mailman Pat a gift every year for 32 years at our former home. He was great and went above and beyond. So far, this one here where we are living temporarily isn't getting anything as he/she has lost our mail 3 times in just 2 months. Sorry...

Christmas and Christmas eve the waiters/ waitresses get extra from us. I do not do the trash collector- he uses a machine to pick up the cans now. No more riding the back of a truck.

I like the nursing home idea..

Thanks!

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
All year around we will buy one of the bags of stuff that are pre-packed at the groceries for donation to a family in need.

Cheesecake Factory issues free slice of cheesecake card for every $25 gift card purchased after Thanksgiving until end of the year. On Black Friday itself, they give out 2 free slice of cheesecake cards for every $25 gift card purchased. Last year I gave the Cheesecake Factory $50 gift cards plus the free cheesecake cards to my doctor's office medical assistant and scheduler and plan to give them the same in 2 weeks' time when I get back from Palm Desert. I bought a whole bunch this year on Black Friday and I gave a $25 card + cheesecake cards to a CVS clerk who always takes good care of us. She must be in her 70s and is a very hardworker. She was almost in tears when I handed her the gift cards to thank her for all that she did for us.

For many years, we also "Adopt A Family" during Christmas season where you buy a list of items which are listed on the need and wish list of a family. We missed this year because we are out of town.

We do fill a bag of non-perishable food items each time a drive happens during the year.

Then there are other charities where we write a check to during the year.

mdurette

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not to change the subject, mdurette, but what will become of your handle if this takes effect? LOL!
https://www.unionleader.com/news/po...xQPkmGNwKwOlhdnqaWFsPtE5uqjl024AVtHSRfhk0NgJw

Ha Ha Ha - I just may have to do a user name change switch like you!!

Back on topic....
Thanks all for some great ideas!

2 days in and I'm 50/50 on my quest.
Day 1: The waitress at lunch got a very nice tip
Day 2: I called into work to have them assign me all the leftovers lists for the kids in a group home and they were all taken.

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
What is the origin of Operation Santa?

The Postal Service — then the Post Office Department — began receiving letters to Santa Claus more than 100 years ago. In 1912 Postmaster General Frank Hitchcock authorized local Postmasters to allow postal employees and citizens to respond to the letters — a program that eventually became known as Operation Santa.

https://about.usps.com/holidaynews/operation-santa.htm

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have always had a soft spot for the Toys for Tots program. This is a very nice thread, imo. I get a bit lackadaisical regarding helping others when it gets cold out because I stay in most of the day but this thread is a good reminder.

Bill

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
One of the local Bartenders (our favorite for many reasons we have followed him to 3 different restaurants/bars) organizes Tips for Tots. During December on a rotating basis different Wait Staff at various restaurants and bars donate their tips for one night to buy Toys for underprivileged kids. The publish the night at each place to encourage folks to give larger Tips.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am in. To the OP, I liked your suggestion.

I will open the door and hold the door open for anyone entering a shopping mall or a restaurant. Without my expectation of hearing the words“Thank You.”

Last edited:

mdurette

TUG Member
Reaction score
This idea is giving me a good feeling. I have been selling "stuff" on facebook. The toys I am selling are already at a great price, but I realized that a lot of people lately are buying these resale toys as a way to afford Christmas for their kids. Most are simply less than $20 items that people from nearby cities are driving into the suburbs to obtain. When they show up....I either give them extra toys or simply give them the item with a Merry Christmas and walk away.

mdurette

TUG Member
Reaction score
I bought a whole bunch this year on Black Friday and I gave a $25 card + cheesecake cards to a CVS clerk who always takes good care of us. She must be in her 70s and is a very hardworker. She was almost in tears when I handed her the gift cards to thank her for all that she did for us.

Yes this...just what I had in mind for myself. Basically random acts of kindness.

Pedro47: You're better than me. I always hold the door, no matter what. When someone just walks by without even an acknowledgement, I have something to say. Don't think I will be able to hold that back.

louisianab

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV and Vacation Village at Williamsburg.
We buy clearance toys all year and then "toys for tots" them when that starts. This year, we have filled 3 of the large bins. It makes me happy and my kiddos know that giving is a part of life.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Must be karma, good luck or blessings as we seem to be on the receiving end of do good December the last few days. We had a rough start to this recent trip mitigated by a guy that got us through priority security and to our flight as they were about to close the doors. No pressure at the rental car store and a car with 3000 km on it.

Then the resort, UVCI , put us in a very nice view room on the 4th floor yesterday. The only thing in our view was a palm tree. The view would be fantastic if the branches were trimmed. This morning I went onto the deck and could see the beach and Lands End because the palm tree was trimmed early this morning. :D

Bill