• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Amex Bonvoy Brilliant and $300 credit

Julian926

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wasn't sure if this was covered already: Does the $300 credit work for MFs on properties like SVV?

I do see topics on the 6x credit but I'm not sure if the $300 credit applies to MFs on most Vistana properties. Maybe I've missed it.

I'm considering getting in December so I can can get the $300 credit at the end of the year and $300 in January 2020. (I think the credit is calendar year)

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
Wasn't sure if this was covered already: Does the $300 credit work for MFs on properties like SVV?

I do see topics on the 6x credit but I'm not sure if the $300 credit applies to MFs on most Vistana properties. Maybe I've missed it.

I'm considering getting in December so I can can get the $300 credit at the end of the year and $300 in January 2020. (I think the credit is calendar year)

The benefit is not on a calendar year basis.

During each year of your Card Membership ("reward year"), you are eligible to receive up to $300 total in statement credits on your Card Account for eligible purchases made directly at hotels participating in Marriott Bonvoy on your Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant™ American Express® Card during that reward year. Your first reward year begins on your account opening date. Each subsequent reward year begins on the anniversary of your account opening date.

Julian926

TUG Member
Reaction score
The benefit is not on a calendar year basis.

During each year of your Card Membership ("reward year"), you are eligible to receive up to $300 total in statement credits on your Card Account for eligible purchases made directly at hotels participating in Marriott Bonvoy on your Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant™ American Express® Card during that reward year. Your first reward year begins on your account opening date. Each subsequent reward year begins on the anniversary of your account opening date.

Thanks for the clarification. It'll probably make more sense to open an account in January, instead of December.

The credit does work with the maintenance fees.

Good to hear. I'll use the credit for SVV maintenance and the 50k reward certificate will be worth more than the $150 net difference. So it's pretty much all gravy after the AF.

Last edited:

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
I feel my Brilliant card is basically free too. The free night in a room of up to 50K points is worth more than $150 to me too.

BLUE AYES

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton VV KW; Sheraton VV Bella; Westin Lagunamar x 3 (51 & 52) ; Westin Kierland;
Plat. for Life
I have three hotel stays coming up where I have the option of using the 50,000 points certificate. At any one of them, I will save between $400-$600 if I were to pay for the room.

SMH1968

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana Villages Key West
This is fantastic news! Does anyone know if I can split payment between two cards to maximize the deal? My Vistana balance is currently $0, but I can prepay. Should I prepay $300 with the Bonvoy Brilliant now, and pay the balance with my BofA Cash Rewards card which gives me 5.25% cashback on timeshares when the 2020 bill is due? Or can I split payment between two cards once the 2020 bill arrives?

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
This is fantastic news! Does anyone know if I can split payment between two cards to maximize the deal? My Vistana balance is currently $0, but I can prepay. Should I prepay $300 with the Bonvoy Brilliant now, and pay the balance with my BofA Cash Rewards card which gives me 5.25% cashback on timeshares when the 2020 bill is due? Or can I split payment between two cards once the 2020 bill arrives?
You should be able to split across two cards.

I tried this strategy earlier this year when there was a $40 promo for spending $250. I paid off $250 of our MF early and got the $40 discount posted to my Amex a few days later.

the $250 just showed up in my Vistana account as a credit against 2020 fees.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I just received the "Free" hotel cert for our 35k anniversary award. It states that there will be additional "Mandatory Resort Fees" that will apply (argh!)

Haven't upgraded to the 50k version because we can make do with the 35k at lower-end hotels such as Springhill suites to visit our college kids. The lower end hotels also include free breakfast and don't charge resort fees.

Unless we find a specific use or I receive a 150k free AF offer, I'll stay on the low end card. My DH has the 50k version and that doesn't work on all hotels during peak season so the extra cost may be wasted. We upgraded to get 150k points but may downgrade to 35k when the AF comes due. 6x points the same and AMEX offers same.

Bonvoy is overly complicated. Have to jump through a lot of hoops to use that "free" night (plus resort fees plus breakfast cost.) I had to buy $450 trip insurance to cover the $8300 cancellation fee for 5 "free" nights at an upscale Marriott using Bonvoy points if we are delayed and miss the first night.

Consequently this abuse of the word "Free" has left a negative impression on me. #bonvoyrant Will use up our remaining Bonvoy points, and sock drawer the cards for the "free" hotel nights until that becomes devalued beyond $95 or we can no longer use.

Increasingly transitioning to collecting Chase UR rewards and 2% cash for MF unless there is an AMEX offer.

The Hilton Card Anniversary Night is a much better deal because we can stay at the Waldorf or Conrad with 2 cards for a weekend - plus as Diamond (or Gold) Elite we get free breakfast - no strings attached.

Last edited:

Julian926

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just received the "Free" hotel cert for our 35k anniversary award. It states that there will be additional "Mandatory Resort Fees" that will apply (argh!)

Haven't upgraded to the 50k version because we can make do with the 35k at lower-end hotels such as Springhill suites to visit our college kids. The lower end hotels also include free breakfast and don't charge resort fees.

Unless we find a specific use or I receive a 150k free AF offer, I'll stay on the low end card. My DH has the 50k version and that doesn't work on all hotels during peak season so the extra cost may be wasted. We upgraded to get 150k points but may downgrade to 35k when the AF comes due. 6x points the same and AMEX offers same.

Bonvoy is overly complicated. Have to jump through a lot of hoops to use that "free" night (plus resort fees plus breakfast cost.) I had to buy $450 trip insurance to cover the $8300 cancellation fee for 5 "free" nights at an upscale Marriott using Bonvoy points if we are delayed and miss the first night.

Consequently this abuse of the word "Free" has left a negative impression on me. #bonvoyrant Will use up our remaining Bonvoy points, and sock drawer the cards for the "free" hotel nights until that becomes devalued beyond $95 or we can no longer use.

Increasingly transitioning to collecting Chase UR rewards and 2% cash for MF unless there is an AMEX offer.

The Hilton Card Anniversary Night is a much better deal because we can stay at the Waldorf or Conrad with 2 cards for a weekend - plus as Diamond (or Gold) Elite we get free breakfast - no strings attached.

Can’t disagree with you there, especially with the devalue part.

I intend to use the 50k cert for a hotel every year for a 10 miler in a major city. Every year I noticed that the Ritz Carlton was 50k, even around at the time of the race. However, with the new “dynamic” pricing, this year, I noticed that it’s 60k. I can understand demand, but that’s one major hotel loss in my search. Luckily, there’s a Westin there for 40k, but I feel like I can’t really use that 50k to its full potential.

SMH1968

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Just to follow up, splitting payments between cards was indeed possible and I did receive the $300 credit back on my Bonvoy Brilliant. Plan is now for my spouse to get another Bonvoy Brilliant to pay another $300 yearly ($600 total rebate) and enjoy 2 free nights at a 50k Marriott property! The icing on the cake is the 6X points on the refund!

teddyo333

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana:
Westin Kierland (x2)
WKORV - OV (x2)
Desert Oasis (x6)
Vistana Villages - Bella
Vistana Villages - Key West
Sheraton Broadway Plantation (2BR Lockout)
Marriott:
Marriott Grande Ocean
Just to follow up, splitting payments between cards was indeed possible and I did receive the $300 credit back on my Bonvoy Brilliant. Plan is now for my spouse to get another Bonvoy Brilliant to pay another $300 yearly ($600 total rebate) and enjoy 2 free nights at a 50k Marriott property! The icing on the cake is the 6X points on the refund!

My wife and I have the setup you mentioned plus I also I have the Ritz Card (No longer accepting applications) that also includes a 50K certificate. In the end three nights which typically cost $1500 to $2000 only costs us $450. This is great value.

grrrah

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Nanea
SVV - Key West
Last edited:

SMH1968

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We're currently at the Westin Lagunamar & took advantage of the 20k point timeshare presentation for the 8th time... However this time they offered us a return vacation package $1,495 + $99 processing fee for 7 days in a 1BR plus R/T airport transfers PLUS 100k Marriott points. We're seriously considering this, but wondering if the VSE Vacation Package would trigger the $300 Bonvoy Brilliant credit. If it does this is a NO BRAINER! Does anybody have any data points on VSE Vacation Packages triggering the credit? I know it counts for 6x points as we did this once before on the Amex Bonvoy Personal. Thanks in advance! PS-we feel very safe at the resort right now

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
We're currently at the Westin Lagunamar & took advantage of the 20k point timeshare presentation for the 8th time... However this time they offered us a return vacation package $1,495 + $99 processing fee for 7 days in a 1BR plus R/T airport transfers PLUS 100k Marriott points. We're seriously considering this, but wondering if the VSE Vacation Package would trigger the $300 Bonvoy Brilliant credit. If it does this is a NO BRAINER! Does anybody have any data points on VSE Vacation Packages triggering the credit? I know it counts for 6x points as we did this once before on the Amex Bonvoy Personal. Thanks in advance! PS-we feel very safe at the resort right now
I do not know but I'm going in January and cannot wait.

Negma

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk WKV WMH WKORVN SVR Harborside 5* and spoiled
Here are two additional Amex deals we signed up for. Chase sapphire also offering extra points at grocery.
amex.GIF

sapphire.GIF

Julian926

TUG Member
Reaction score
I had this card for one year. I have yet to use the 50k annual free night. However, the devaluation killed the 50k - at least if you live near a metropolitan city. Can't even find a typical Marriott hotel for that much. They're going for at least 60k now.

I'm thinking of cancelling this card.

youknowthenight

TUG Member
Reaction score

How often are you doing the presentation?

Moparman42

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas x2
I've purchased the explore package and the charge DOES gain the 6x points and it will trigger the 300.00 if you have not already used it this year.. plus the Marriott points. I usually buy an explorer package as it is worth it to me to get the return trip and the points, but the room assignment is ALWAYS less than desirable. which is odd since we're owners and they want to sell us more.

SMH1968

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I've purchased the explore package and the charge DOES gain the 6x points and it will trigger the 300.00 if you have not already used it this year.. plus the Marriott points. I usually buy an explorer package as it is worth it to me to get the return trip and the points, but the room assignment is ALWAYS less than desirable. which is odd since we're owners and they want to sell us more.
That's awesome. Could you clarify what exactly the explorer package is? The offer they gave us doesn't seem to have a name.

Moparman42

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas x2
That's awesome. Could you clarify what exactly the explorer package is? The offer they gave us doesn't seem to have a name.

usually when I go in for my owners update, they offer and 'explorer package' which consists of another stay at the resort. it's usually 5 days in a one bedroom (or studio) to start, but if you ask, they also offer other room sizes and additional days for x dollars, payable over a payment plan. you have a year to use it in and can schedule 8 months out. When you complete the stay, an owners update is required as they really want to sell you more. I currently have a 2 bedroom an Nanea for 7 days in a package that I will be using (hopefully) in January. it cost me about 2500.00 for the stay, and I also get 100k Marriott points after the update.. not bad for a 2 bedroom. Like I said, though, the room assignments have been the less desirable rooms. Not sure I ever got a good view on the explorer packages, yet I'm still in Hawaii and don't really spend THAT much time in the room anyway.. being a Northwesterner, I enjoy the sun every moment I can.

Oh, and if you are silly enough to buy from the developer at the update, the entire cost of the explorer package can be applied against the purchase....

SMH1968

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
usually when I go in for my owners update, they offer and 'explorer package' which consists of another stay at the resort. it's usually 5 days in a one bedroom (or studio) to start, but if you ask, they also offer other room sizes and additional days for x dollars, payable over a payment plan. you have a year to use it in and can schedule 8 months out. When you complete the stay, an owners update is required as they really want to sell you more. I currently have a 2 bedroom an Nanea for 7 days in a package that I will be using (hopefully) in January. it cost me about 2500.00 for the stay, and I also get 100k Marriott points after the update.. not bad for a 2 bedroom. Like I said, though, the room assignments have been the less desirable rooms. Not sure I ever got a good view on the explorer packages, yet I'm still in Hawaii and don't really spend THAT much time in the room anyway.. being a Northwesterner, I enjoy the sun every moment I can.

Oh, and if you are silly enough to buy from the developer at the update, the entire cost of the explorer package can be applied against the purchase....
Thank you so much for clarifying. That is very similar to what they offered me during the owner's update at the Westin Lagunamar and I was on the fence...until you chimed in! If it triggers the Bonvoy Brilliant $300 credit then it's a no brainer. They are asking $99 down and 10 monthly payments of $149.50 + 100k Bonvoy Points for 6 nights in a 1BR at Lagunamar. From what you said I assume my first few payments will deduct from the Bonvoy credit until it runs out as it has not been used yet. AMAZING!

BTW not planning on being silly and buy from the developer. Thanks to Tug, so far I got two Vistana Villages Key West "resales" for free, then sold one on ebay for $1200 so I haven't spent a dime yet and I'm several years into my "ownership"!

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras
I paid my WKY maintenance fees with my AMEX Bonvoy Brilliant and it triggered the $300 credit.