• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

The Apostrophe Protection Society has been disbanded after announcing 'ignorance and laziness' ha

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
Yes, unfortunately people have become far less concerned with (or knowledgeable about) proper grammar or punctuation. I'm not even sure how much of it is properly taught in schools these days. C'est la vie! :shrug:

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Please tried teaching that for many years. But I have teacher friends who spell my last name like this: Mark’s

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Ocean Blvd, Fairfield Glade

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's simply a real life, apostrophe catastrophe. :eek:

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, unfortunately people have become far less concerned with (or knowledgeable about) proper grammar or punctuation. I'm not even sure how much of it is properly taught in schools these days. C'est la vie! :shrug:

Yes, unfortunately proper spelling, punctuation, grammar, and capitalization seem to become less and less relevant and important. But people who show a lack of these skills don't seem to be affected in important aspects of life such as holding down a job so why bother?

For instance, is a professional sports player going to lose his job because in his personal tweets he posts, "I am proud of my two son's"?

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Abuse of apostrophes isn't in the same realm of problem for me as abuse of commas and capitalization. Consider the importance of proper capitalization the next time you help your Uncle Jack off a horse.

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes, unfortunately proper spelling, punctuation, grammar, and capitalization seem to become less and less relevant and important. But people who show a lack of these skills don't seem to be affected in important aspects of life such as holding down a job so why bother?

For instance, is a professional sports player going to lose his job because in his personal tweets he posts, "I am proud of my two son's"?
I would say it’s still important in many sectors. I’m a lawyer. If I get a paralegal with bad grammar, I’m not using him or her, but purposefully passing him or her to other lawyers.

Nurses or executive assistants with bad grammar get overlooked for others with good grammar.

Famous people use bad grammar, which leads younger folks to follow and not realize the credibility hits.

Last edited:

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's been said that grammar is a reflection of your image. Good or bad, you have made an impression. And like all impressions, you're in total control.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Famous people use bad grammar, which leads younger folks to follow and not realize the credibility hits.

Also, I see professionally-made signs with bad grammar, spelling, and punctuation. For instance, near where I live, there is a real estate sign supposedly made by a "professional" sign making company saying "Duplex's For Sale". While there is that glaring error, I wonder if that is really going to affect anyone's decision to buy any of the duplexes or, for that matter, use that sign making company.

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Also, I see professionally-made signs with bad grammar, spelling, and punctuation. For instance, near where I live, there is a real estate sign supposedly made by a "professional" sign making company saying "Duplex's For Sale". While there is that glaring error, I wonder if that is really going to affect anyone's decision to buy any of the duplexes or, for that matter, use that sign making company.
Maybe it is just I (see the predicate nominative there). I would hire someone who isn’t detailed-oriented or knowledgeable enough to use proper grammar, either to buy a duplex or make signs.

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai

Shouldn't that be "duplices" ? I mean, if we're going to hijack a Latin word (and actually an adjective meaning "double", not a noun) for the singular, shouldn't the plural come along as well?

While we're at it, what should be the plural of "quid pro quo"? Mother Jones speculates here. [Sorry for the hijacking.]

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Abuse of apostrophes isn't in the same realm of problem for me as abuse of commas and capitalization. Consider the importance of proper capitalization the next time you help your Uncle Jack off a horse.

Is this from the Let's eat Grandma collection?

Well played, T_R!

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
"English grammar is so complex and confusing for the one very simple reason that its rules and terminology are based on Latin, a language with which it has precious little in common."
Bill Bryson

bobpark56

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
Sometimes capitalization, commas, and apostrophes don't hack it: "The eagle flies like an arrow!"
Where does one find eagle flies these days?