• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Tuggers Can And Should Consider Direct Timeshare Exchanges With Each Other

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
please note that for searches....the search terms have to be 100% EXACT.

if you have a long resort name, try typing in a single unique word to return the resort in question.

for the example above "oceanwatch" would work fine.

rhonda

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
Goofyhobbie,

Thanks for the help -- but it seems we are working at cross-purposes. I, like chellej in post #66, am seeking a different way to view the Direct Exchange ads -- based on searching for something I own rather than something I want.

I picked the "Marriott's OceanWatch Villas at Grande Dunes" for example because I know there is a specific Direct Exchange Ad seeking this property. If I owned that property -- it would be very helpful to know that someone wanted it. (The link to the specific direct exchange ad is in post #72).

I think we've agreed in the past that this can't be done. Post # 67 implied otherwise and I am trying to clarify the current state. Still not available, correct?

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
please note that for searches....the search terms have to be 100% EXACT.

if you have a long resort name, try typing in a single unique word to return the resort in question.

for the example above "oceanwatch" would work fine.
Thanks -- tried that also but same result: no ads found. It seems the desired destinations are not picked up by the search.

Goofyhobbie

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Brian,

Rhonda and apparently others want to be able to enter the TUG Marketplace and put in the full "correct version" or the "short version" of the resort that they own i.e. Marriott's OceanWatch Villas at Grande Dunes or simply "OceanWatch" and then click on the Exchange button followed by clicking on Browse Filtered Classified Ads and actually get information that the current Search Function will NOT find.

If a Marriott's OceanWatch Villas at Grande Dunes is being offered by an owner in Exchange for whatever, the search comes up successfully.

But, if the owner of a different resort i.e. Disney's Animal Kingdom has requested an Exchange and specifically mentioned and interest in Marriott's Oceanwatch, the search will not match so that an owner at Marriott's OceanWatch would find the particular match.

Is there a way to resolve this to get the desired matches?

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
Brian,

Rhonda and apparently others want to be able to enter the TUG Marketplace and put in the full "correct version" or the "short version" of the resort that they own i.e. Marriott's OceanWatch Villas at Grande Dunes or simply "OceanWatch" and then click on the Exchange button followed by clicking on Browse Filtered Classified Ads and actually get information that the current Search Function will NOT find.

If a Marriott's OceanWatch Villas at Grande Dunes is being offered by an owner in Exchange for whatever, the search comes up successfully.

But, if the owner of a different resort i.e. Disney's Animal Kingdom has requested an Exchange and specifically mentioned and interest in Marriott's Oceanwatch, the search will not match so that an owner at Marriott's OceanWatch would find the particular match.

Is there a way to resolve this to get the desired matches?

you cannot search the marketplace for what an owner is LOOKING FOR...no.

however if you submit your unit for exchange...and when you put what YOU are looking for as part of hte process....you are automatically notified via email if someone has something matching what you are looking for.

this is why we try to convince more people to post their ads...and accurately define what they are looking for on exchange.

The system was designed to match people automatically...and works very well...but only if you submit your exchange.

There is no requirement for you to actually exchange your unit by putting it up on TUG...you are welcome to just post it to see what you can find!

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever successfully executed a 3-way exchange with fellow Tuggers (i.e. John Smith uses my week, I use Jane Doe's week, and Jane Doe uses John Smith's week)?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Has anyone ever successfully executed a 3-way exchange with fellow Tuggers (i.e. John Smith uses my week, I use Jane Doe's week, and Jane Doe uses John Smith's week)?

Unless I knew the other two parties well, I wouldn't be very comfortable with that. Let's say that John Smith changes his mind and backs out. Do you still get to use Jane's week even though she doesn't get to use John's week? It could get sticky.

Last edited:

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I figured it would be a sticky situation and pretty hard to execute along with finding two other Tuggers whose situation would fit. I was just wondering if anyone had any success carrying out such a trade.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
New feature added this weekend, you can now insert POINTS ads into the direct exchange system to offer the ability for TUGGERS to trade timeshare weeks for points...or vice versa!

Many of you had requested the ability to put your points up for trade in the marketplace, and as of this weekend you can do so!

BellaWyn

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
The only thing I think that would make this "trust" system of swapping with other owners feel less risky is a way to get/give "feedback" like on E-Bay so you can know after experience if others have traded with this person and that makes you feel safer then maybe using someone with no feedback yet??? And vice versa.
For those of you that have completed a successful exchange through this process, can you please give me feedback as to what you did to "formalize" the process, other than putting guest names on a confirmation?

1. What if one party wanted to travel in 2010 and the other was willing to swap for a 2011?
2. What's to prevent the 1st party from bailing on the 2nd after they travel?
3. If #2 were to happen, what recourse would the 2nd party have of any possible recovery?

Not trying to put a negative spin on this process. I'd just like to better understand what other have done related to CYA.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Basically, you have to trust the other person. Even if you have a contract, if the other party breaks the contract, are you going to sue them? Probably not.

I have done a couple of private exchanges with long-time Tuggers, and their record on TUG, gave me a lot of confidence in them. Most regulars here value their reputation on TUG, and wouldn't want to do anything to damage it. But I would not do a private trade with a newbie - too many unknowns.

I also spent quite a bit of time discussing it with them before agreeing to the trade.

It's similar to doing a private rental - and you can do many of the same things to confirm that the trade is legit. click here

Last edited:

rosette

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello All, I'm New Here, How Does this Exchange Work?

It sounds great! I am a member of II too, but am not having much luck, but am not sure how this method works at this time... It is not a big pot like in II, where people just deposit their units and then someone else can come along and grab it, right? Here, the person who listed their unit for exchange wants a unit in exchange 1:1, right then and there, right? Or do some work in different ways? Thanks and any info or help will be appreciated. :cheer:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hi Rosette and welcome to TUG!

Basically, TUG provides a listing service for owners to do private trades. You and the other owner arrange all the details privately. This may involve many phone calls and emails and notarized contracts, or be as casual as a couple emails and trading confirmations. It's all up to you and the other owner.

Fletcher921

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Mission Hills, CA;
Los Abrigados, AZ;
The Whaler, HI;
Playa Del Sol Costa Sur, MX;
Westgate Park City, UT
this is why we try to convince more people to post their ads...and accurately define what they are looking for on exchange.

I couldn't possibly list all the places I want to see! I think oftentimes we don't even think of all the possibilities when we make a 'wish list". It sounds like what members are expressing is that sometimes, just knowing someone wants to use a resort that we own can be very helpful. Once finding that someone wants what we have then we can then initiate a discussion regarding what they can offer to trade for it. A great match could be made -for somewhere that we had never even considered - for free!

Maybe even just a simple database that mentions what we own - and that we are "open" to receiving requests from fellow members. Not even that we are specifically looking for a particular place or week or anything - just that we are open to discussion with people who want a stay at a property that we own.

OhanaTribe

Reaction score
I'm confused about the posts that say RCI doesn't allow people to swap exchanges. If I deposit a week with RCI and pay the exchange fee to get another week, and then decide to give that week to someone else, why can't I just get a guest certificate for that person? And they could do the same for me if they had an exchange they couldn't use. What I read was about rentals, using the exchange system for monetary gain -- but in this case no money changes hands between the two parties and it's not a profit-making scheme.

In fact, RCI would benefit by gaining two exchange fees and two guest cert fees as well -- and everyone gets the vacation they wanted. Although they may be made aware of it (through the use of their guest certs) I'm not sure why this would be something that would cause RCI concern. Both parties fairly traded their units within the exchange system (like for like) and paid all the associated fees to do so (adding $$ to RCI's pocket). At that point what is the issue if they decide to use each other's week?

Am I missing something? I've never privately traded a week or swapped with anyone before, so I apologize if I'm overlooking an obvious issue.

Fletcher921

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Mission Hills, CA;
Los Abrigados, AZ;
The Whaler, HI;
Playa Del Sol Costa Sur, MX;
Westgate Park City, UT
From what I understand both II and RCI prohibit "trading" exchanges made through their company. Not sure about the other trading companies...

Private trades should be made with units we own - not units we have traded into through these exchange companies.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'm confused about the posts that say RCI doesn't allow people to swap exchanges. If I deposit a week with RCI and pay the exchange fee to get another week, and then decide to give that week to someone else, why can't I just get a guest certificate for that person?

The reason you can't do it is because RCI prohibits it - it's stated in their rules.

Do people ever rent or trade exchanges anyway? - Yes.

What happes if you get caught? - You can lose your RCI Acct., deposits, exchanges, and fees paid.

Is this likely to happen? -
If you make a cottage industry out of it and purchase a lot of guest certificates - it can and does happen. (It happens to someone here on TUG every few months.)

If you quietly do a private exchange with a close friend - you probably won't get caught, but both parties should be aware of the risks, since the person you trade with may lose their half of the trade.​

More info. - Which exchange companies allow exchange to be rented/traded.

Last edited:

ronandjoan

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Telemark, Townhouses at St Augustine Beach and Tennis Club, Stoneridge Resort (ID)
This is more and more interesting to me now with the new RCI system. ...and TUGGERS have been wonderful!

Basically, you have to trust the other person. Even if you have a contract, if the other party breaks the contract, are you going to sue them? Probably not.

I have done a couple of private exchanges with long-time Tuggers, and their record on TUG, gave me a lot of confidence in them. Most regulars here value their reputation on TUG, and wouldn't want to do anything to damage it. But I would not do a private trade with a newbie - too many unknowns.

I also spent quite a bit of time discussing it with them before agreeing to the trade.

It's similar to doing a private rental - and you can do many of the same things to confirm that the trade is legit. click here

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
Has something changed with the way the exchanges on the exchange board are listed?

It used to be the most recently listed exchanges appeared at the top of the list but now they seem to be randomized in some way. Its hard for me to figure out what units are new units and which ads I've already seen. Then I try to sort by the expiration date of the ad and those expiration dates appear wonky- one ad does not expire until 2025, one in 2018, etc.

Did something change? Can we make it go back to how it previously was- new listings on top?

H

dixie

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is great!

[deleted]

[I'm sorry, but posting what you have for exchange in the discussion forums, is considered advertising. - DeniseM Moderator]

Last edited by a moderator:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
Has something changed with the way the exchanges on the exchange board are listed?

It used to be the most recently listed exchanges appeared at the top of the list but now they seem to be randomized in some way. Its hard for me to figure out what units are new units and which ads I've already seen. Then I try to sort by the expiration date of the ad and those expiration dates appear wonky- one ad does not expire until 2025, one in 2018, etc.

Did something change? Can we make it go back to how it previously was- new listings on top?

H

just noticed this, by default it is sorted most recent first, however if you sort by something else it will remember that.

to resort by most recent first, simply click on the column with the "for exchange" icon in it, if you actually hover your mouse over the icons it displays the ad number in question, so sorting by this column sorts by ad number, higher the ad number...more recent the ad etc.

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
just noticed this, by default it is sorted most recent first, however if you sort by something else it will remember that.

to resort by most recent first, simply click on the column with the "for exchange" icon in it, if you actually hover your mouse over the icons it displays the ad number in question, so sorting by this column sorts by ad number, higher the ad number...more recent the ad etc.

As I have mentioned to you numerous times previously, I am NOT sorting by something else. By default, for me, on my IPad, IPhone, PC, and laptop, by default the Marketplace listings now come up randomized. It is frustrating for me to state this numerous times, only to have you repeatedly state the contrary.

Recently, through another posting, I learned about the trick to derandomize the listings. I have to click on "ad type" once to get the ads listed in reverse
chronological order and then again a second time to get them listed in regular chronological order. Honestly, that is two more steps that just discourage me from going to the marketplace frequently.

I would suggest that you consider that I may actually be correct in the experience I am having and recognize that this glitch as to how the Marketplace ads are displayed is discouraging some (or at least one) TUG members from visiting the Marketplace.

From my end, I am done providing feedback on this issue. Nothing is more pointless than taking the time to tell someone about a flaw in their product only to be told that the flaw does not exist.

H

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Quarter House, a handful of East Coast beach resorts
I have noticed this too...

As I have mentioned to you numerous times previously, I am NOT sorting by something else. By default, for me, on my IPad, IPhone, PC, and laptop, by default the Marketplace listings now come up randomized. It is frustrating for me to state this numerous times, only to have you repeatedly state the contrary.

Recently, through another posting, I learned about the trick to derandomize the listings. I have to click on "ad type" once to get the ads listed in reverse
chronological order and then again a second time to get them listed in regular chronological order. Honestly, that is two more steps that just discourage me from going to the marketplace frequently.

I would suggest that you consider that I may actually be correct in the experience I am having and recognize that this glitch as to how the Marketplace ads are displayed is discouraging some (or at least one) TUG members from visiting the Marketplace.

From my end, I am done providing feedback on this issue. Nothing is more pointless than taking the time to tell someone about a flaw in their product only to be told that the flaw does not exist.

H

I first noticed on my tablet. Not only is it random, but when I have it sorted, then select something to see details, when I return to the list, it has re-sorted everything.

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
I first noticed on my tablet. Not only is it random, but when I have it sorted, then select something to see details, when I return to the list, it has re-sorted everything.

Thank-you Juanita for pointing out another issue I've been having. There is simply no use in my going over to the Marketplace except very occasionally- it is simply was too tedious now to bother.

H