• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

More Starwood/II aggravation

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I've been on the phone for about an hour!

A year or more ago, I used my fixed SVR week for a "request first" - I did not get the exchange so I canceled the request first, but did not do a full deposit.

I called II and they confirmed that the week is not deposited.

Now I've rented the week, and I called Starwood to put the reservation in my guest's name and Starwood is telling me that it is deposited with II - they are saying you can't do a "request first" and cancel it.

DUH! Do they even know their own rules?????? :doh: :doh: :doh:

Last edited:

ocdb8r

TUG Member
Reaction score
DUH! Do they even know their own rules?????? :doh: :doh: :doh:

Of course they do...sounds like the same rules they have always followed:

Make it up as you go along.

Did they resolve it for you?!?!?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I'm STILL on the phone!

But they've called II and confirmed that the week isn't deposited - but now I am on hold while they talk to Resolution Services.... :annoyed:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Now they told me thay can't resolve it today - I told them that isn't acceptable, that the week is rented and if I can't get a confirmation today, I'm going to lose the rental... I'm on hold again... :mad: :mad: :mad:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Now they are saying it will take 72 hours and they would not let me talk to a Mgr. I am TICKED OFF! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Anyone have a contact for me?

ocdb8r

TUG Member
Reaction score
I always considered you the queen of contacts for SVO...I have no idea what kind of basket case is supposedly "in charge" of II exchanges.

Typical of SVO to refuse to rectify anything promptly. I'm curious what the story is as to why this is an issue?!?!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
They seemed surprised that a "request first" week can be canceled and returned to my Starwood Acct.

"Their people" have to talk to the "II people" and there are "processes" they must go through, and it will take several days, and a manager can't call me back for 72 hours, and yada, yada, yada....

I'm going to offer my renter his deposit back pending the receipt of confirmation and see if he is OK with that.

Sigh.....

Last edited:

ocdb8r

TUG Member
Reaction score
They seemed surprised that a "request first" week can be canceled and returned to my Starwood Acct.

"Their people" have to talk to the "II people" and there are "processes" they must go through, and it will take several days, and a manager can't call me back for 72 hours, and yada, yada, yada....

I'm going to offer my renter his depoist back pending the receipt of confirmation and see if he is OK with that.

Sigh.....

This seems to have been a problem from day 1 with SVO. For all their insistence on lording over how things work with II, they seem to have a horrible relationship with II and total lack of organization.

I seriously think they have never considered the request first process. That's why it was a loophole during the times when SVO refused to deposit your reserved week. Keep us posted on how it pans out...sorry you've encountered yet another SVO hiccup.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
They just sent me the confirmation - so I guess the squeeky wheel DOES get greased! :D

Now all I have to do is have it put in the renter's name. :clap:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So - the lesson to be learned in this is if you cancel a "request first," call Starwood Owner Services and ask them to verify that it's been canceled - otherwise, they show it as "deposited."

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
:doh: You're the best....SVN is not.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Good to hear it's resolved, Denise. What a pain!

Frankly, I think this is primarily due to lack of consistent training and support for II/SVN staff. There are very few individuals, as we've posted before, at those organizations who seem to know what to do - all others simply "push paper" around pretending to work...

Denise L

Tug Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Starwood/Vistana, Disney, Hyatt, HGVC
They just sent me the confirmation - so I guess the squeeky wheel DOES get greased! :D

Wow, sounds aggravating, but so glad it is resolved and you can complete your rental! You can be my squeaky wheel!

So if I have two "request firsts," they are considered deposits as far as Starwood is concerned?

l2trade

TUG Member
Reaction score
So - the lesson to be learned in this is if you cancel a "request first," call Starwood Owner Services and ask them to verify that it's been canceled - otherwise, they show it as "deposited."

This is an important lesson for ALL Starwood owners. Starwood assigning a week to II is not the same as matching that assignment to an II request number. If you cancel a pending request, it DOES NOT automatically reverse the usage assignment from II. Instead, it remains assigned and turns into a deposit at the end of the usage year. This methodology is a pain for floating week owners because they cannot hold a home resort reservation until AFTER they cancel an II pending request and reverse the II assignment. By that point, the remaining home resort availability might not be worth it.

Denise, in your situation, with a FIXED week, this can be an even greater problem. While you are lucky that your fixed week is your fixed week, the broken process makes confusion more likely. Now that you know, I'm sure you will always call. Can you imagine what would have happened if you flew cross country to SVR and just showed up at check-in instead? What a mess for the average owner, unbelievable!!! :mad:

To make matters worse, just because one assigns a week, doesn't mean that Starwood matches that assignment to the correct II request number. As you already know, this is a big problem for multiple week owners. An owner may assign one week, then Starwood auto-assigns and matches against another week, leaving the original assignment hanging out there until the owner calls Starwood to discover the error.

Until Starwood provides the ability to view usage history online, unfortunately owners must CALL STARWOOD AFTER EVERY TRANSACTION to help catch these errors. :(

NJDave

TUG Member
Reaction score

I had the same issue with Marriott. Marriott told me that I deposited the unit. However, I had cancelled the request first. The only difference is that Marriott was able to resolve the issue within a few minutes.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score

DeniseM, I think Starwood is monitoring this web site.

Your end results is "Outstanding."

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DeniseM, I think Starwood is monitoring this web site.

Your end results is "Outstanding."

Thanks - although it was irritating, I'm sure glad I found out about the problem for future reference! :eek:

Starwood really handled it poorly - if they had told me "we will do our best to resolve this today," I would have been satisfied. But to tell me it would take 72 hours, and I couldn't speak to a manager, was asinine - especially since they did fix it in far less than 72 hours - it's obviously possible!

stevens397

TUG Member
Reaction score
Makes me wonder when Starwood will follow Marriott's lead and spin off their timeshare division. They can't be making money on this anymore and their service shows it. Sad.

Sorry for your infuriating experience, Denise and glad it was resolved before you went to bed!