• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Recomendations for Snorkel Boats

Kauai Kid

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Looking for a boat that has the stairway down to the water for snorkelers and someplace shady for my wife on the boat.

I snorkled years ago in someplace south of Cancun but never on the Islands. Rank beginner with one very weak shoulder but I can swim. (probably in circles :hysterical: )

Leaving this Saturday.

Mahalo,

Sterling

ww1aerofan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Trilogy- On Maui

Sterling,

If you are going to Maui...
My family has always loved the Trilogy boats.

Rarely do you see a discount, but they are the most friendly and
instructive boats we have been on.

cissy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Kona

I highly recommend Fair Wind Cruises on the big island. Very easy stair entry, shade, clean restroom and fun barbecue.

www.fair-wind.com

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
We're going to Kona this October and we going snorkeling with Fairwinds.:)
Everything we have seen about them looks great.

K2Quick

TUG Member
Reaction score
This boat is larger, but not very crowded and your wife could get below for shade. They're recommended by the Maui Revealed book. We liked them well enough but they're always pushing sales of extras on you.

http://mauicharters.com/4winds_trip01.html

We liked the Trilogy tour we went on as well, but their boats are definitely smaller.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
We have just about given up on the snorkel boats. We have tried many of them over the years, and they can be fun or a bust, but very seldom is the snorkeling any better than you can find when you shore snorkel for free.

Here are some things that can be a bust:

1) Poor snorkeling
2) Rough water/sea sickness - they won't take you back no matter what - this will be aggravated if your wife goes below.
3) Yucky food
4) Other people on the boat who can be rude or simply clueless - this is a big pet peeve for me. On our last two trips, we were the only experienced snorkelers, so the trip was completely geared toward the first time snorkelers, whose main goal seemed to be to get out of the water quickly and eat everything on board. Some of them never put their face in the water - they simple paddled along with the group on a noodle and got out of the water at the earliest opportunity.

Last edited:

ww1aerofan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Shore snorkel-Blackrock

If you do the shore snorkel route,
I love to go to Cliffs alongside the Blackrock Marriot.

Beautiful fish, coral, turtles, manta rays, and even a small
Shark or two to get your blood pressure racing!

You can also have fun watching the crazies jump off the cliffs.

Great food places an easy walk from the beach .

Who else has good "walk-up" places to snorkel in Maui?

Barbeque

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
We went a few years ago with Pacific Whale Foundation and we were very pleased.

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have just about given up on the snorkel boats. We have tried many of them over the years, and they can be fun or a bust, but very seldom is the snorkeling any better than you can find when you shore snorkel for free.

Here are some things that can be a bust:

1) Poor snorkeling
2) Rough water/sea sickness - they won't take you back no matter what - this will be aggravated if your wife goes below.
3) Yucky food
4) Other people on the boat who can be rude or simply clueless - this is a big pet peeve for me. On our last two trips, we were the only experienced snorkelers, so the trip was completely geared toward the first time snorkelers, whose main goal seemed to be to get out of the water quickly and eat everything on board. Some of them never put their face in the water - they simple paddled along with the group on a noodle and got out of the water at the earliest opportunity.

We call them 'Cattleboats.' :D

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Another fun thing to do if you haven't been to Lanai, is take a boat to Lanai. They run about four or five round trips each day. You can catch a bus up to the Lodge for lunch, or play golf, see the little town in the middle of the island and spend the afternoon at the hotel on the south side of the island before catching the boat home.

jlr10

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you do the shore snorkel route,
I love to go to Cliffs alongside the Blackrock Marriot.

Who else has good "walk-up" places to snorkel in Maui?

We were just on Maui and I was in a wheelchair, because my arms were too weak to work the crutches. My husband pushed me on the Kaanapali walking trail. There is a nice shady spot at the end of the sidewalk near Blackrock (coming from the South.) Depending on your comfort level of leaving your wife, she could comfortably sit in the shade while you walked over to Black Rock and snorkeled. It is a nice spot to rest and would be a great place to read a book.

I agreee with Denise on the Maui snorkeling tours. They frequently do not find a good place to snorkel, and will go out even if the waters are way too turbulent for an enjoyable trip. The boat are usually crowded. A tour to Molokini is nice if you want to see the feet of other snorkelers. Most advertise "Turtle Town" which seems to be an ever moving target where they basically pick a spot and stop. When we used Pacific Whale Foundation they determined, due to the water advisory that they couldn't go to Molokini they just chose another spot offshore and did not offer a refund, since they couldn't control that they couldn't go to Molokini (It was also a three hour tour of asking for donations, and rationed food and drink. I would never recommend them based on our experience.)

But if you definately want the boat trip I recommend Pride of Maui. We did our first snorkel tour with them and they were okay. They had an easy entry water stairway on the back of the boat, and have a covered lower deck. They have a glass bottom viewing portion on their boat, so you wife could see some fish too, and maybe even some feet.

The best snorkel tour is on the Big Island, on Fairwinds. Great boat, great crew, and the water is always calm where they snorkel. I do this on every trip to the Big Island. Maybe on your next trip....:)

jnjn

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree....Go off shore!!

We were in Maui and went on snorkeling boats, very dissappointing! Some of the best snorkeling on MAui is just south of you on the Makena area. Get a copy of Maui revealed and go. Much better and cheaper than a boat tour!!