• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

requesting view upgrade/specific room

boisebruin

Reaction score
We just bought at WKORVN and just had our first stay there. We were booked into the south tower instead of the north. How do we request a specific building/room? How does the resort decide on upgrading views? Is there a trick to requesting an upgrade when you book? Thanks in advance for your help. We are new to timeshare.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Hi boisebruin! :hi:

To be guaranteed your deeded view, you must make your reservation 8-12 mos. out from check-in. With-in that timeframe, views are assigned by the time stamp on the reservation, so the earlier you reserve, the better your view should be.

If you reserve 8-0 mos. out from check-in, you actually make a Star Option exchange and you are treated like any other owner who is trading in from another resort. In other words, with a late reservation, you no longer have priority for the view on your deed - the resort can assign any view category. That's why you were assigned to the south phase.

To make a request, you must call Owner Reservations and have it added to the notes in your reservation - the resort itself does not take requests.

But, you cannot request a particular unit - they won't take the request.

You can make a general request - in your situation (Staroption Resv. in the south phase) I would request:
1) Not to be in Bldg. 4 (potential highway views)
2) High floor

I would not expect to get an upgrade and there is no way to request one. Elite Owners get upgrades first. Elite Owners are those who own many weeks.

*Post what view you own, and I can make a suggestion for what to request on the North side.

Last edited:

jarta

TUG Member
Reaction score
DeniseM, ... Nobody gets upgrades in SVN. Elites used to but that went out years ago. An upgrade would be reserving a 1-br and getting a 2-br on arrival; or reserving a deluxe 1-br and getting a premium 1-br. In my experience, that never, ever happens.

It's just that if the best view left after in-season home resort reservations are filled and the time stamps are relatively close in time, the Elite member would probably get the best view of the 8-2 month Staroption traders, then the other SVN traders, then the SPG renter or the II trader (don't know which since I don't use SPG or II to go to StarOption resorts very much).

BTW, the HOA at WMH - within the last few weeks - issued a directive to SVN that no view preferences may be expressed for any of the buildings at WMH which face the golf course. I guess you are now limited in your preference expressed at WMH to which of the truly undesirable, IMO, buildings which face each other across a narrow parkway or 1st or 2nd floor or, maybe, something vague - like best view available.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
The OP didn't say anything about getting a larger unit, and neither did I:

requesting view upgrade/specific room...

How does the resort decide on upgrading views?

My post is absolutely accurate as far as upgrading to a better view, and what you are allowed to request at the Maui resorts.

And yes, Elite Owner get upgraded to better views at the Maui resorts all the time.

*I know of an Elite owner who recently made a Staroption trade for the NEXT day at WKORV-N, and got a prime ocean front unit. That tells me that Elite Owners definitely do get preference over other SO & II traders, because they had no time-stamp priority.

Last edited:

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
If you bought from the developer and have time to rescind, I'd do it immediately. FYI, you can buy the same unit on the resale market for 50% or less over what you paid. The only benefit you lose by buying resale is the ability to convert to StarPoints, which is Starwood's hotel currency. A 2 bdrm WKORV-N unit converts to around 80k SPs, IIRC, which isn't enough to get you more than 5 nights in a Cat 6 hotel room.

What view did you buy? That will be the first determiner of what view you will be assigned. Beyond that, call in early, 12 months out if possible, to reserve your unit because villas are assigned first-call, best view basis. Don't call less than 8 months out or you'll lose your view priority altogether.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hi Lisa - I think they bought in the past and just stayed there for the first time. I think it's too late to rescind, but maybe I'm reading it wrong.:

We just bought at WKORVN and just had our first stay there. We were booked into the south tower instead of the north.

jarta

TUG Member
Reaction score
From the Spring 2011 - Ocean Resort Villas North Association Newsletter (WKORV-N)

"Reservations Process and Overview - Frequently Asked Questions

Q. What is my Home Resort Preference Period (HRPP)
A. The Home Resort Preference Period (HRPP) is the 4-month reservation period from month 12 to month 8, prior to your check-in date in which you have exclusive
rights to reserve a 7-day vacation period for the Villa Type and View Category you purchased at your Home Resort. Your clear advantage is that you are not competing with Starwood Vacation Network (SVN) members or exchangers who own at other resorts.
This period protects your priority as an owner at your Home Resort and optimizes your booking and villa assignment order. Reminder to be thoughtful of:
While you are guaranteed the villa category and view type you purchased, you are not entitled or guaranteed specific villas or locations, regardless of Elite status.

Q. How is my villa assignment determined upon check-in?
A. Your villa assignment is based on a “first-reserved booking order” basis. This means your reservation is confirmed in the booking order amongst other owners
who confirmed a reservation within the same HRPP window as yourself; Elite status does not improve your booking priority.
While confirming a reservation anytime within your HRPP window does confirm your Home Resort and view type purchased, your actual booking order is contingent upon other owners’ reservations confirmed prior to your own.

Q. When is my view guaranteed?
A. When booking your reservation between the 12 to 8 month HRPP window prior to your arrival date, you are entitled to the villa type and view category you
purchased at your Home Resort. While you are guaranteed the villa category and view type you purchased, you are not entitled or guaranteed specific villas or locations, regardless of Elite status.
Owners who purchased a fixed villa with a fixed week are only guaranteed their fixed villa when confirmed 12-10 months in advance of their fixed week and must
contact Owner Services to confirm the use of their week or their week will float within the float pool at 10 months and will no longer be guaranteed.
Owners who purchased an Ultra Premium and Event week with a fixed villa are not required to call and confirm and will receive their fixed villa.

Q. When is my view NOT guaranteed?
A. Reservations made during the Starwood Vacation Network Float (SVN) period, 8 months or less prior to your desired arrival are not guaranteed a view type. This
applies to The Westin Ka’anapali Ocean Resort Villas and The Westin Ka’anapali Ocean Resort Villas North Owners or other Starwood owners reserving during this timeframe.
Floating reservations made during the Home Resort Preference Period and/or during the Starwood Vacation Network Float Period are on a first-come, firstserved
basis, and based upon availability. As of April 2011, you may now view upcoming reservations on www.mystarcentral.com.

Q. When may I make a special request?
A. At the time of your reservation, you may submit a special request for a preferred building, low or high floor, near elevator or stairway. Requests are reviewed and
fulfilled based on availability and the date & time stamp of your reservation.
To make additional requests AFTER your initial confirmation, please contact Owner Services; do not contact the resort directly."

http://www.starwoodvacationownershi...tion/KORN/25_KaanapaliNorth_HOANewsletter.pdf

The word upgrade is never used by Starwood. Preferred, meaning preference, is used. (Although people say they request views. View is not mentioned. Building is mentioned.) ... eom

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The word upgrade is never used by Starwood.

I will notify the OP that they used the wrong word....

"Hey, OP - Listen up - you used the wrong word and you are out of compliance!" ;)

Done!

jarta

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you.

Could you stop using it yourself? ;)

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
*I know of an Elite owner who recently made a Staroption trade for the NEXT day at WKORV-N, and got a prime ocean front unit. That tells me that Elite Owners definitely do get preference over other SO & II traders, because they had no time-stamp priority.

That should have been an EXTREMELY unlikely occurance, given what they said in the last newsletter:

Your villa assignment is based on a “first-reserved booking order” basis. This means your reservation is confirmed in the booking order amongst other owners who confirmed a reservation within the same HRPP window as yourself; Elite status does not improve your booking priority.

If they booked for the next day, they should have been pretty much at the bottom of the "booked in less than 60 days" pool, and I would assume that no prime view units would have been left unallocated by then.

Perhaps a last-minute cancellation, or half of a unit that was available due to scheduling?

jarta

TUG Member
Reaction score
"*I know of an Elite owner who recently made a Staroption trade for the NEXT day at WKORV-N, and got a prime ocean front unit. That tells me that Elite Owners definitely do get preference over other SO & II traders, because they had no time-stamp priority."

You mantra has been that Elite levels are not worth it. It now seems that the perks Elites do not have are even more valuable than the ones they have. lol! :D

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The view upgrades are a wonderful perk, and I'm glad to see that Starwood is still trying to offer it when possible, especially considering the history of upgrades for Elite owners.

Owners were terribly disappointed when Starwood first introduced the Elite Program and told Elite Owners that they would automatically get upgrades, and then some months later, took it back. That's when many people decided that going after Elite might not be worth it, since Starwood can retroactively take away the perks, after owners spent thousands of dollars to become Elite.

boisebruin

Reaction score
We bought an IV unit on the north side

Hi boisebruin! :hi:

To be guaranteed your deeded view, you must make your reservation 8-12 mos. out from check-in. With-in that timeframe, views are assigned by the time stamp on the reservation, so the earlier you reserve, the better your view should be.

If you reserve 8-0 mos. out from check-in, you actually make a Star Option exchange and you are treated like any other owner who is trading in from another resort. In other words, with a late reservation, you no longer have priority for the view on your deed - the resort can assign any view category. That's why you were assigned to the south phase.

To make a request, you must call Owner Reservations and have it added to the notes in your reservation - the resort itself does not take requests.

But, you cannot request a particular unit - they won't take the request.

You can make a general request - in your situation (Staroption Resv. in the south phase) I would request:
1) Not to be in Bldg. 4 (potential highway views)
2) High floor

I would not expect to get an upgrade and there is no way to request one. Elite Owners get upgrades first. Elite Owners are those who own many weeks.

*Post what view you own, and I can make a suggestion for what to request on the North side.

Denise,
Thanks for all the great info on this site. We bought (closed) last December and had our first trip there as owners just last week. Despite the late booking (in Jan of this year) we still get a partial OV unit in building 3, albeit on a lower floor (second).

boisebruin

Reaction score
Thanks Lisa

If you bought from the developer and have time to rescind, I'd do it immediately. FYI, you can buy the same unit on the resale market for 50% or less over what you paid. The only benefit you lose by buying resale is the ability to convert to StarPoints, which is Starwood's hotel currency. A 2 bdrm WKORV-N unit converts to around 80k SPs, IIRC, which isn't enough to get you more than 5 nights in a Cat 6 hotel room.

What view did you buy? That will be the first determiner of what view you will be assigned. Beyond that, call in early, 12 months out if possible, to reserve your unit because villas are assigned first-call, best view basis. Don't call less than 8 months out or you'll lose your view priority altogether.

Lisa,
We bought last December on the secondary market, believe it or not on ebay. We initially won an auction for a WKORV-N IV unit for $5900 but the resort exercised their ROFR. The second time we got the same category unit for $10,000 and got past the ROFR and became owners in Dec 2010.

Does the resort know whether you bought from the developer or someone else when you stay there? Thanks. Great site.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Does the resort know whether you bought from the developer or someone else when you stay there? Thanks. Great site.

Starwood knows, but the resort registration desk probably doesn't, and it should not affect your view assignment.

boisebruin

Reaction score
Denise

Any recommendations on building, etc on WKORV-N with isalnd view? Thanks again.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Here is the weird thing about Island View. If you book 8-12 mos. out, you are going to get your deeded view - Island View. But if you wait until 8-0 mos. out, you will make a Staroption exchange, which means you are not locked into your deeded view, and you might actually get a better view.

Here is the WKORVN map, with a key to the view designations.

It is hard to know whether to make a Resv. at 12 mos. and try for the best Island View, or to wait until just within 8 mos., do a Staroptions exchange and hope for a better view. If you try the 2nd strategy, and want to go for the whole enchilada. I'd ask for a high floor in Bldg. 8 or 5.

boisebruin

Reaction score
Thanks. That explains why we were given OV this year since we booked within the 8 mos. That's what I'll try, if I don't get my request we will end up with IV anyways. I don't think the week we are requesting is super high demand (first week of June) since the west coast schools are not out yet. Thanks again.

jarta

TUG Member
Reaction score
So, the OP bought WKORV (IV) and made a reservation within 8 months.

Then was given (without even asking or having any Elite status) an OV room at WKORV-N for that stay.

Sounds like the pubished policy on room assignments is working OK, Elites are not the only ones getting OV rooms in Maui and Elites are not leapfrogged ahead of all the non-Elites. (No promise is made about II traders.)

"The view upgrades are a wonderful perk, and I'm glad to see that Starwood is still trying to offer it when possible, especially considering the history of upgrades for Elite owners."

Yes, but view assigment it is not offered based on Elite membership or level.

Actually, the published policy indicates there are no view "upgrades." There are only view assignments made on the basis of time stamps and stated building preferences. I don't know why you keep saying there are "view upgrades" made related to Elite status.

Don't know why you keep referring to upgrades that aren't considered upgrades at all, either.

Have you considered that Starwood Elites, having more weeks and StarOptions to plan out for and make reservations with, know and play close attention to how the Starwood SVN system works and make their reservations earlier and know to leave a preference - thus having earlier time stamps with preferences anyway?

(And other little things. Like having lots of Staroptions to book multiple week stays using 1 reservation (and 1 room) which forces the resort to pay attention to fitting in those longer stays first. You don't actually have to have 4 or 5 Star Elite status to do that - just the StarOptions and the time and money to be on vacation multiple weeks.)

Must the implication be Starwood cheating non-Elites to the advantage of Elites? ... eom

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lisa,
We bought last December on the secondary market, believe it or not on ebay. We initially won an auction for a WKORV-N IV unit for $5900 but the resort exercised their ROFR. The second time we got the same category unit for $10,000 and got past the ROFR and became owners in Dec 2010.

I'm so glad to hear that. I hate when people find Tug too late to save themselves thousands of dollars. (BTW, welcome to Tug!)

One of the things that I really like about Starwood vs. Marriott is that ALL owners are put on the same playing field in terms of reservations. Starwood assigns villas on a first-come, first-served basis, so those who plan ahead and call early have the best chance of being assigned the best view in the view class purchased. Doesn't matter who you bought from.

Marriott, on the other hand, gives multi-week owners an advantage by allowing them to book 13 months in advance. What that means in terms of view assignment, I don't know. But allowing multi-week owners an entire month to book ahead of single-week owners is a real disadvantage to folks like me, especially during high demand weeks. I have read accounts of Marriott owners who bought in Hawaii not being able to book the week they want at 12 months out. That is a real shame. For all the criticisms that I lodge at Starwood, I have no complaints about being able to get into my home resort when I want.

Denise mentioned that Starwood has been assigning views superior to what was purchased to exchangers ahead of IV/OV owners. I'm not really sure that there's sufficient data to draw any hard and fast conclusions about that, yet. I have read here on Tug that at least one IV owner didn't receive a view upgrade during his recent stay, but WKORV has been sold out quite a bit lately so it's difficult to say what went on. There are lots of moving parts that come into play in re to room assignments because all the villas are lock-outs, plus they allow mid-week rentals, etc., etc. Personally, I would still reserve as early as possible because the north side island view villas are still pretty nice.

Last edited:

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Must the implication be Starwood cheating non-Elites to the advantage of Elites? ... eom

I can't answer for Denise, but I, personally, don't mind Elites getting upgraded ahead of other exchangers, provided they give deeded-view owners first priority.

I completely understand, and support, the idea of delighting their best customers with upgrades. Elite owners do a lot to support the system, and I'd imagine the default rate for these folks is a lot lower than single-week owners. So, more power to the Elites!

Whether that particular perk, if exercised often, would justify the additional expense of becoming an Elite owner is an entirely different matter, and one that has been debated here ad nauseum.

Pedro

TUG Member
Reaction score
When we last checked in at WKORV we were told that we had been upgraded (their words, not mine) to an ocean front villa. We had made the reservations exactly one year in advance so I guess we were close to the front of the list. We have some friends who are not elite, and who do not own at WKORV, who had made their reservations exactly 8 months out. They had requested to be close to us and ended up also being upgraded to an ocean front villa although in a lower floor than us.

jarta

TUG Member
Reaction score
"There are lots of moving parts that come into play in re to room assignments because all the villas are lock-outs, plus they allow mid-week rentals, etc ..."

At 12 months out, if you own more than 1 week at a resort in that season, you can reserve by the week, but only your configuration (2-br for 2-br owners, premium 1-br for premium 1-br owners, deluxe 1-br for deluxe 1-br owners).

Or, what most multi-week owners do, IMO, is wait 7 more days to make the home resort (HRPP) reservation and make 2 reservations and ask (as a preference, not an upgrade) to link the reservations so that they do not have to repack and change rooms from week to week. Either works well. I have never had trouble getting 2 consecutive weeks at 12 months (less 7 days or more) for Lagunamar where I own more than 1 week.

(I also own 2 weeks at Four Seasons Aviara. That gives me the right to call for a reservation, any type of reservation, one month before non-multiple owners. I can call and even split a week by reserving only 3 or 4 days at 13 months from arrival. Different company; different way of making reservations. They all need not be the same; if they are not, nothing is nefarious or evil about it.)

Starting at 8 months, it becomes a Starwood free-for-all with everyone who has StarOptions joining the competition for reservations. But, in Maui, the check-in (and check-out) days are still Friday, Saturday or Sunday.

Starting at 60 days from arrival, less than 1 week Staroption reservations may be made - and the check-in day and check-out days can be any day of the week.

At 8 months from arrival, you can rent more than a week (2 weeks, 10 days, 18 days, whatever). All you need is available StarOptions. However, the check-in day or the check-out day still must be a Friday, Saturday or Sunday. That is what Lisa is talking about. So, either the check-in or check-out day (but not both) may be mid-week.

From mystarcentral:

"Check-in Days

Established check-in days for Starwood Vacation Ownership resorts are Friday, Saturday or Sunday, and these days vary by resort. When you request your reservation will determine the check-in and check-out days you are able to request.

Home Resort Preference Period reservations confirmed twelve (12) to eight (8) months prior to your desired arrival date require the arrival and departure day occur on one of the Home Resort's established check-in days when you stay seven (7) consecutive nights at your Home Resort in your villa type and season purchased.

Starwood Vacation Network Float Period reservations confirmed eight (8) months to three (3) months prior to your desired arrival date require an arrival or departure day on an established check-in day of the resort reserved, and can be used to stay seven (7) or more consecutive nights at your Home Resort or any Starwood Vacation Network resort for any villa type and any season.

Starwood Vacation Network Options Period reservations confirmed three (3) months or less prior to your desired arrival date have the flexibility to arrive or depart any day of the week, and can be reserved for a single night or more at your Home Resort or any Starwood Vacation Network resort for any villa type and any season."

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I can't answer for Denise, but I, personally, don't mind Elites getting upgraded ahead of other exchangers, provided they give deeded-view owners first priority.

I completely understand, and support, the idea of delighting their best customers with upgrades. Elite owners do a lot to support the system, and I'd imagine the default rate for these folks is a lot lower than single-week owners. So, more power to the Elites!

Whether that particular perk, if exercised often, would justify the additional expense of becoming an Elite owner is an entirely different matter, and one that has been debated here ad nauseum.

Well stated, Lisa! :hi:

There is no doubt the Elite Owners get view upgrades based on their Elite status - we have already had that confirmed by former Starwood Owner Services Manager, James1975NY. He posted a priority list on TUG, and Elite owners were at the top of the list for view upgrades.

It went something like this:
Elite owners who own multiple weeks at the Maui Resort
Elite owners who own at the resort
Elite owners who own at other resorts
Owners at the Resort
Staroption Traders
II Traders

That doesn't mean that non-Elite owners lose their deeded view to Elite owners. It just means that if Starwood assigns everyone to their deeded view and then there are 10 ocean front units leftover, Elite owners have priority to be upgraded to those units. (That was very simplistic, but you get the idea.) Obviously, non-Elite owners can be upgraded to - I've been upgraded to ocean front myself.

The experience of Tuggers bears this out: My Elite friend, who owns MANY Startoptions, makes LOTS of last minute reservations (0-2 mos. out) at the Maui resorts, and still gets great views every time - it's not because she plans in advance - it's clearly because of her Elite status. It's happened over and over again - too many times to be just a fluke.

Yes - Starwood has published rules about the minimum view that owners are entitled to - but it doesn't really address view upgrades. I think that's intentional. It gives them flexibility, and avoids the fire storm they created when they published the "automatic upgrades" for Elite owners and then couldn't produce.

As long as everyone is given their deeded view before any upgrades are handed out, I have no problem with it, and that seems to be what's happening. YMMV

Last edited:

Westin5Star

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree that the Elite upgrade policy exists if we are talking about reservations using SOs. My experience has been that I get an upgraded view when booking at any SVO resort (if available). This experience has been when I have used SOs.

I did do one II trade within SVO and I do not feel that my view / room was upgraded. It was at SVR and I was put on a middle floor, far from everything, with no view at all.

I would be interested to hear from other Elite owners about their view upgrades (or not) using II.