• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hawaiian smoked BBQ

Kauai Kid

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Avoid the smoked BBQ place on the mountain (mauka) side of the Hana HW.

We both were vommiting within 15 minutes. No napkins, no soft drinks, unfriendly Hawaiians. Most unusual. :(

Sterling

ww1aerofan

TUG Member
Reaction score
One more reason NOT to visit Hana

I may be in the minority, But I think the whole Hana experience a
giant tourist trap waste of time and money...

It is road guaranteed to get your kids sick, the falls are frequently dry,
The food is verifiably bad.

By the time you get there(3 hours later) you wish you could be teleported back to your hotel and local beach.

Bring on the disagreements! :)

cp73

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DSV 1
I may be in the minority, But I think the whole Hana experience a giant tourist trap waste of time and money...

I couldn't agree more. Its a trip you only do once. Its a total waste of a day.

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Its a total waste of a day.

Possibly true, but Hana is a wonderful place if you have two or more days and can stay in Hana overnight. The extra days permit you to stop on the way to and the way back, visit the sites past Hana early in the morning (before all of the day trippers arrive), enjoy the barely used beaches, relax, and avoid the stress of having to do the six hour round trip drive in one day. We added two days to our "regular" week at WKORV last summer and enjoyed that extra time immensely.

But stay away from Sterling's BBQ place.

Last edited:

glypnirsgirl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I could do without the whole Hana experience myself.

Ian LOVES it. He enjoys driving those hairpin curves. He doesn't even get to enjoy the scenery!

We ate at the Thai place in Hana - the one on the left about 2 miles past the grocery store - and right across from the soccer fields. There is a "spa" associated with it. The food was good for being out in the middle of nowhere. Only 2 or 3 selections to choose from, but both were good - not great, but solidly good.

elaine

bobmcgraw

TUG Member
Reaction score
Our first trip to Hana was in 1982 and until last year, it was our only trip. While we liked it, it seemed like a pretty long day.

So last year we did it differently. We left Ka'anapali for Hana at about 10AM and missed the big rush to get there. We had a nice, leisurely drive with very little traffic and almost none going the same direction as us.

We stayed two nights on Hana Bay at Hana Kai. It was wonderful. It gave us an entire day to enjoy the Hana area at our own pace. Then, we drove back on the morning of the third day, again against traffic and at our own pace.

We are now convinced that if one can arrange it, this is the better way to do Hana.

Hana in a day...no thanks. It short-changes a beautiful area too much.

curtbrown

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have to agree... Like a Luau, a trip to Hana is a one-time "Must-Do". I did it years ago and that was just fine for me. I'll look at the photos if I ever get the urge again... :) BTDT

Curt

Kona Lovers

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, Sterling, you can look at it this way: based on this and your other post, you've truly had an unforgettable Hawaiian vacation!:D

Marty

gregb

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORN
It's not Hana we go for. But "seven pools" in the National Park beyond Hana. The hike up to the waterfalls is awsome. Walking through the Bamboo Forest is amazing. At one point, looking up the trail through the bamboo, I could swear I saw Indiana Jones, just ahead of me.

Greg

lakeshearers

TUG Member
Reaction score
I may be in the minority, But I think the whole Hana experience a
giant tourist trap waste of time and money...

It is road guaranteed to get your kids sick, the falls are frequently dry,
The food is verifiably bad.

By the time you get there(3 hours later) you wish you could be teleported back to your hotel and local beach.

Bring on the disagreements! :)

We were just there and I totally agree! Our kids hated it, and we were there and back in about 5 1/2 hours. Oh well, we can say we did it! :rolleyes:

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I enjoy the drive all the way around south Maui. Hana and back isn't of so much interest, but most of the highlights of the trip for me are in the rugged areas.

Kona Lovers

TUG Member
Reaction score
We plan to see Hana by air when we go. DW will never take the curves of that road, nor will the sons like the 50 one-way bridges. Then, we'd have to go back the way we came! And I've read about the drive going being against the mountain and the drive back along steep cliffs... But, sounds like a great adventure for those so inclined.

chewie

TUG Member
Reaction score
So the wife and I are at Kona Coast Resort now and we tried L & L BBQ in the shopping center at Pulani. We were the only haile in there and the place was packed around 5 pm.

It is really a little Chinese menu order type of place that is adapted to the Brudda and Sista taste buds. For $6 the food was fantastic! Anyone else tried this place? Highly recommended as an alternative to fast food.

curtbrown

TUG Member
Reaction score
So the wife and I are at Kona Coast Resort now and we tried L & L BBQ in the shopping center at Pulani. We were the only haile in there and the place was packed around 5 pm.

It is really a little Chinese menu order type of place that is adapted to the Brudda and Sista taste buds. For $6 the food was fantastic! Anyone else tried this place? Highly recommended as an alternative to fast food.

L&L Hawaiian BBQ is a chain of semi-fast food restaurants that have quite a few francises both in Hawaii and on the mainland too.

http://hawaiianbarbecue.com/live/locations/store-locator/

Curt

Kona Lovers

TUG Member
Reaction score

We went to an L & L location on Kauai twice in one visit: our first and last. Maybe it depends on what you order, but for us vacation is too short and there are too many other choices to bother taking a chance on them again.

Marty