• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Maui Sunset Cruises or Snorkel Trip

mitchandjeanette

TUG Member
Reaction score
We will be staying in Lahaina and once again we are looking to TUG's great pool of knowledge....

If you could only do one, Sunset/Dinner Cruise or a Snorkel Trip, which would you pick???

If you picked snorkel trip (or even if you didn't), where is the best place to go and best company to use?

If you picked dinner cruise... same question....

Thanks again for sharing your experiences and knowledge with everyone...

Mitch (and Jeanette)

ww1aerofan

TUG Member
Reaction score
I prefer the snorkel cruise!

There are a TON of sailing catamarans in Hawaii.

Despite have gone to Maui 8 times, I certainly have tried them all!

With that being said, I think the best I have been on are Trilogy and Teralani.

If you are an active sort, I think a snorkel cuise the best . Go in the AM,
before the wind kicks up and the water gets murky.

The dinner cruises are OK, but the food cooked on a moving boat can
Never match a nice restaurant.

I would say snorkel in the AM, and find a nice ocean view restaurant for
dinner to watch the sunset.

Enjoy Maui!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I like the Trilogy Discover Lanai trip - it's pricey - but it's an all-day trip that includes 3 meals, snorkeling, beach activities, sailing, and a tour of Lanai, so you get a lot for your money. Dinner is actually freshly cooked at their beach side pavilion. It is one of our all time favorite activities. http://www.sailtrilogy.com/lanai/discover/

Fletcher921

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Mission Hills, CA;
Los Abrigados, AZ;
The Whaler, HI;
Playa Del Sol Costa Sur, MX;
Westgate Park City, UT

Kauai Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
I really doubt that the food is cooked on the ship. Catered and then warmed up is more like it.

Of all we liked the trip to Lanai the most.

Sterling

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I really doubt that the food is cooked on the ship. Catered and then warmed up is more like it.

Of all we liked the trip to Lanai the most.

Sterling

Sterling - When we took this trip, dinner was cooked from fresh ingredients, by the crew, right in front of our eyes in their beach-side pavilion on [Lanai]. It was excellent! Barbequed teriyaki chicken, a delicious chow-mein type side dish, rice, salad, breads, veggies, and a dessert that I can't remember.

What did you have for dinner on your trip?

Other meals-

A light breakfast of fresh juice, tropical punch, coffee, and home-made style cinnamon rolls was served on-board, on our way to Lanai.

Lunch was a deli-style buffet with all the trimmings.

Cold drinks, water, and snacks are available all day.

Last edited:

teepeeca

TUG Member
Reaction score
DeniseM

Quote ---

Sterling - When we took this trip, dinner was cooked from fresh ingredients, by the crew, right in front of our eyes in their beach-side pavilion on Kauai. It was excellent! Barbequed teriyaki chicken, a delicious chow-mein type side dish, rice, salad, breads, veggies, and a dessert that I can't remember.

Unquote ---

I sure hope that you didn't mean KAUAI :doh: --- that would be a LONG sailing trip for one day !!!:rofl:

Tony

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Quote ---

Sterling - When we took this trip, dinner was cooked from fresh ingredients, by the crew, right in front of our eyes in their beach-side pavilion on Kauai. It was excellent! Barbequed teriyaki chicken, a delicious chow-mein type side dish, rice, salad, breads, veggies, and a dessert that I can't remember.

Unquote ---

I sure hope that you didn't mean KAUAI :doh: --- that would be a LONG sailing trip for one day !!!:rofl:

Tony

Tony - I was just testing you! :rofl:

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
I 2nd the recommendation for the Trilogy Lanai trip. The snorkeling was a nice change of pace (though entry in/out was challenging!) and the food was outstanding.

I also love sunset catamaran rides. If it's whale season, it's even better. The one I used to recommend, the Kiele V, tragically sank a few years ago. I'm not sure if the Hyatt commissioned another cat, but they took really good care of the Kiele V. The food was also outstanding.

I took a sunset sail on the Scotch Mist as well. It was nice, but not as comfortable as a catamaran. But far fewer people and a more intimate ride. The Scotch Mist is where we got closest to the whales.

taffy19

Reaction score
Another vote for the Trilogy trip to Lanai. :D The whole day was fabulous and the crew was so attentive and friendly too.

Kauai Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was thinking of the other sailing trips, not the one to Lanai.

Of all the things I remember about the trip was being greeted by a herd of Dolphins. I mean pod as we sailed into Lanai.

Sterling

Kauai Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
We will be staying in Lahaina and once again we are looking to TUG's great pool of knowledge....

If you could only do one, Sunset/Dinner Cruise or a Snorkel Trip, which would you pick???

If you picked snorkel trip (or even if you didn't), where is the best place to go and best company to use?

If you picked dinner cruise... same question....

Thanks again for sharing your experiences and knowledge with everyone...

Mitch (and Jeanette)

I'd go for both even in these tough economic times: You've spent probably at least $1000 +$200-$300 for airfare and a rental car. Assuming the snork or dinner cruise are 100 each/person.go for both.

Then eat more frequently in the condo. that'll save some. Then when you get home to recover the $200 use coupons at the grocery store. $200 is $16.67/month over a year. Almost pocket change.

The all day sail to Lanai gives you both a snork and nice meals. Probably the best buy of them all. :cheer:

Sterling