• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin LagunaMar construction

crackerjax

TUG Member
Reaction score
Traveling there next week (September 10). Hearing mixed comments on other boards about the extent of construction at Lagunamar. When I booked on II two months ago, no mention of construction was given. Now there is an advisory on the Westin homepage that there are "exterior renovations" in progress.
Would appreciated any updated info from visitors in August-Sept on the extent of the inconvenience. Jackhammers are not my idea of a relaxing beach vacation...

Thanks.

C30NY

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were there last month and basically it was a couple scaffold removing the tile from the buildings (apparently the heat was causing them to pop off). They were redoing it in stucco. We didn't even notice construction, there were no audible annoyances.

island22

TUG Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any updates on the construction at Lagunamar? We are planning a trip there the end of Oct. Wondering what type of construction is going on and if there are any closings/disruptions to pools/amenites, etc.
Thanks,
Carolyn

siesta

TUG Member
Reaction score
Was there in may, as mentioned previously no audible noises or any issues due to construction for us.

C30NY

TUG Member
Reaction score
The real "construction" is next door where they are building a whole new...everything. The construction in the area you are staying was strictly cosmetic, with tiles being replaced with a "stucco" look, and the color theme being changed.

The only construction that was anywhere near the pool and amenities when we were there was the replacement of the railings that were on the walkway that went over the pool. And even that took them only a day.

abdibile

TUG Member
Reaction score
Are they currently building the next phase II of Lagnuamar (buildings 10-14 with their own pool)? Doesn't that noisy if staying in buildings 6-9?

Or is someone else building "a whole new everything" alongside buildings 1-4?

Thanks!

C30NY

TUG Member
Reaction score
I thought they said the 'mirror resort' (owned by westin) will be adults only. No disturbance from there.

jarta

TUG Member
Reaction score
abdibile, ... Buildings 10-14 have been under roof for the last 3 years. All the noisy stuff is completed.

Starwood has been waiting for the inventory in Buildings 1-9 to be reduced before fitting out Buildings 10-14. It's taken quite a while to sell off the weeks in Buildings 1-9. I think Starwood is about ready to open up sales for weeks in Buildings 10-14.

The plan has been to designate the separate pool area for Buildings 10-14 for grown-ups - sort of like the "relaxation" pool area at WKV. ... eom

hacker0124

Reaction score
Can any one post a progress go builds 10 to 14 as of jan 22?

jarta

TUG Member
Reaction score
I returned to Chicago from 2 weeks at Lagunamar last evening.

Buildings 10-14 have all the furniture on their balconies. I was told several times that Buildings 10-14 will be open in February.

There is ongoing re-construction on Buildings 1-9. The wooden awnings over the 8th floor balconies are being replaced with an actual roof. That and the new paint job gives the resort more modern and much sleeker exterior lines. There is also construction on the first floor between Buildings 3 and 4. I'm not sure what's being done there.

There is jackhammer and drilling noise during the day as the wooden awnings are being replaced. It can be heard at the pools. I did not find the noise bothersome.

The pools are heated and receive much more use. I had not been at Lagunmar in 2 years. It is more polished in its operation than it was 2 years ago.

Staff organizes volleyball games and aerobics classes.

Food at Oceano Restaurant is much better. Food at Viento, the pool restaurant, was always OK. Drains in the walk-in showers work better. No more floods while I was there.

The beach is better graded - probably from being used - for access to the ocean (except in front of Buildings 10-14 where there has been little use to break down the sand "cliff").

It's still not the US. But Lagunamar has more reliable winter weather and now has a more familiar Starwood feel. Sort of like Kierland South. Enjoy! ... eom

Last edited:

bobpark56

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
Buildings 10-14 have all the furniture on their balconies. I was told several times that Buildings 10-14 will be open in February.

A sales rep told us last week that opening would be in March. They will be moving their sales force there, as the present buildings are nearly sold out.

Drains in the walk-in showers work better. No more floods while I was there....

We has a flood yesterday...quickly fixed.

Last edited:

clsmit

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WSJ, HRA, WKORV, WMH, SBP, WLR
There is also construction on the first floor between Buildings 3 and 4. I'm not sure what's being done there.

That's the sales area for the timeshare reps, so if they are moving sales to the new section they're doing something with the space -- maybe putting more units there.

jarta

TUG Member
Reaction score
clsmit, ... "That's the sales area for the timeshare reps, so if they are moving sales to the new section they're doing something with the space -- maybe putting more units there."

Actually, other buildings have walkway space between them on the 1st floor which provides access to an elevator bank. The area taped off (with a small corridor leading to the elevator) is the lighter section between the back of Building 3 and the front of Building 4 on this map. http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?p=710819#post710819

The sales area you are speaking about is found in the darker section (the 1st floor of the existing Building 3 structure) on the map. It was used for a salesperson "greeting area" and has Starwood resort and hotel pictures on the wall. The last 2 weeks it was unlocked and with all the furniture in place, but completely dark and unused.

I assume new units will eventually be constructed on the 1st floor of Building 3. But, that construction has not yet started. Right now, all the construction tape fences off exterior areas. I declined the Owner Update so I have no "official" answers and you may be right.

End of January opening of Buildings 10-14? Beginning of February? Doesn't matter much. In addition to the balcony furniture being in place last week, all the lounges were already in place by the pool for Buildings 10-14. Workmen were like ants crawling over the structure.

BTW, Building 14 is right by the beach (like Building 1). However, Building 1 has 8 floors and Building 14 has only 6 floors. I don't know if that was dictated by zoning concerns and included in the original plans or if Building 14 was shortened when the economy collapsed. Whatever. It is what it is. :shrug: ... eom

Last edited:

MommaBear

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am delighted to hear that the pool in the new section will be for adults. The first part of our stay this past week was essentially kid free but then there was huge influx of the early teen set with their parents from NY/NJ and the sound level escalated significantly. I think it may have been overflow from the dreaded Aruba NY week. The kids were certainly not wild or out of control, they were just kids who felt free to holler to their parents over a large group of sun loungers, and their parents were equally comfortable yelling back. There was also a lot of swim instruction going on in the hot tubs. So, the thoughts of an adult only section will be wonderful.

New this year was that there was ocean swimming in strictly limited areas with lifeguard oversight despite the red flag warmings. The current was strong but it was great to be in the ocean.

Overall I think that Lagunamar is well laid out, the staff is great and the food has significantly improved. My DH and I went thinking it would be our second and final trip, and came away planning to go again next year.

Last edited: