• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Tropical Storm Flossie

Mauiwmn

TUG Member
Reaction score
I hope this storm passes by the islands and doesn't cause any damage or ruin anyone's vacation.
Stay alert!

Tropical storm watches and warnings have been issued as Tropical Storm Flossie continues its westward march toward the Hawaii.

Flossie, the sixth named storm of the eastern Pacific hurricane season, formed just over 1000 miles west-southwest of the southern tip of Mexico's Baja California Wednesday.

Flossie is now tracking due west over the central Pacific Ocean, putting it on a collision course with America's 50th state.

The forecast path includes parts of the Hawaiian Islands, starting with the "Big Island" of Hawaii on Monday. However, drier air, increased wind shear, and somewhat cooler water is expected to have a weakening effect on Flossie before it arrives.

Nonetheless, a tropical storm warning is in effect for Hawaii County and Maui County, and a tropical storm watch is in effect for the island of Oahu, including Honolulu.

Flossie is expected to be a relatively weak tropical storm or tropical depression by the time it reaches the Hawaiian Islands Monday. This means an increase in showers, higher swells reaching east-facing shores, and an attendant threat of rip currents.

People in the Hawaiian Islands should continue to monitor Flossie and prepare for inclement weather. While we are not expecting Flossie to be a hurricane, be prepared.

It's worth noting of 19 named storms that have tracked near the Hawaiian Islands since 1957:

Only four remained at hurricane strength within 65 nautical miles, most notably Iniki (1992).
Three of those four hurricanes approached the islands from the south or southeast.
Only Kanoa (1957) was able to survive as a hurricane pushing due westward at a latitude equal or as far north as the Big Island. (Though, according to NHC's best track database, it never made it as a hurricane to the Big Island.)
The large majority of those named storms had weakened to either a tropical storm, depression or remnant low when approaching the islands from the east, at a latitude at least as far north as the Big Island.
Coincidentally, in 2007, the center of Hurricane Flossie passed just 100 miles south of the Big Island on August 14. However, impacts on land were not severe. Eastern Pacific tropical cyclone names are recycled every six years except for those destructive enough to be retired.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Coincidentally, in 2007, the center of Hurricane Flossie passed just 100 miles south of the Big Island on August 14. However, impacts on land were not severe. Eastern Pacific tropical cyclone names are recycled every six years except for those destructive enough to be retired.

We were on the Big Island staying at Mauna Loa Village when Flossie arrived in 2007. We were prepared to hunker down for several days if necessary; heeding all precautions. Then predicted landfill got pushed back, and back, and back. When Flossie did arrive it was in the midst of breaking. Hilo side got some pretty heavy rain for awhile. Over in Kona there were a few intermittent rain showers, for a day, followed by a pretty heavy two or three hour rainstorm one afternoon.

And it made for some great sunsets. I took the sunset shot below from the golf course right next Mauna Loa village as Flossie was moving through.

18757941.jpg

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
"Perhaps they didn't consider waste disposal a priority when a big storm was approaching... :D"​

double :D

jsfletch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just curious if any tuggers are on Oahu, particularly in KoOlina.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I just read that there is a tropical storm warning for the Kona area of the Big Island with expected winds of 60 MPH and heavy surf/rain On up the island chain, Maui and Oahu just get storm watches with 40 mph winds expected.

I took my parents to Kauai and Maui back in '87(I think?). We arrived just after a named tropical storm- in fact that is how I afforded it- there had been many cancellations. All- or at least most of the flowers and non-sturdy foliage had been well stripped of vegetation. Post-storm clean up seemed to be the main work going on.

Be careful and batten down the hatches! Watch for flying lawn chairs.

Jim

PearlCity

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just curious if any tuggers are on Oahu, particularly in KoOlina.

Im on Oahu. Not on vacation but live here. They expect mostly rain here with winds up to 45 mph, which is not hugely out of the ordinary. Some folks are going crazy buying out all the water and batteries..Hilo and Maui are supposed to get the worst of it though!

Carolyn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St John
WJL St Lucia
St James Club Antigua
Charter Club Marco
Sheraton Desert Oasis
This is my son's honeymoon week. They really wanted to go to Maui (they live in NC). I talked them out of it due to the long flights, among other things. Instead they went to St. Lucia on a direct flight plus we own at Windjammer Landing where they are enjoying great weather and their own villa with a private pool. Whew!!!

kwindham

TUG Member
Reaction score
I talked to the captain of the fishing charter we took on Kuaui last night on facebook. He says that they are only expecting to see heavy rain and some wind. I hope he's right!

BocaBum99

TUG Member
Reaction score
I, too, am on Oahu. Living in Florida for so many years got us used to getting ready for hurricanes. We are not doing anything special for this storm other than expecting a few tennis matches to be cancelled for today and maybe tomorrow due to rain. This will be done by Wednesday.

We will get a lot of rain and it will be a bit windier than normal. There will be sustained winds around 25 mph which is brisk, but not unusual. Gusts will be higher.

We were on Oahu when Hurricane Iniki hit Kauai in Sept of 1992. That was before I lived in Florida. It was scary since homes here are not hurricane ready.

radmoo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I talked to the captain of the fishing charter we took on Kuaui last night on facebook. He says that they are only expecting to see heavy rain and some wind. I hope he's right!

Hope so, too, as we will be at Kauai Beach Club Aug 18-25

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Alaska Airlines has canceled it's Hawaii bound flights through noon pst. Better to be safe than sorry, but what a bummer of a way to start your vacation.

Good luck to those of you on the islands. Hopefully this turns out to be a good story to share and nothing more.

danb

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Weather in Ewa

We live near KoOlina and the weather is nice. Some clouds but nothing out of the ordinary. Playing golf at 12:30. Hope it's nice for at least another 4 hrs.
Got extra gas and will fill up the generator just in case. Picked up some cases of water as well but read that some places are running out of water.

cowboy

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
We are in poipu and the weather is perfectly Hawaiian. Just got a call from the resort that we can expect rain tonight. Weather forecast last night seemed to think the main part of the storm might pass to the south of the big island, hope so. Aloha

PearlCity

TUG Member
Reaction score
Alaska Airlines has canceled it's Hawaii bound flights through noon pst. Better to be safe than sorry, but what a bummer of a way to start your vacation.

Good luck to those of you on the islands. Hopefully this turns out to be a good story to share and nothing more.

It's kind of funny because all the mainland carriers are cancelling flights and hawaiian air has not canceller flights and have additional planes on standby for additional flights. This storm is really right now not viewed as much of a threat..

ww1aerofan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Flossie is almost here in Maui!

We are sitting at the Maui Schooner watching this beast approach!

We can't even see the other side of the island as we are looking at a HUGE
cloud bank that goes from the ocean to the top of the sky!

As I type, it is the proverbial calm before the storm with sunshine and
gusting winds... The Schooner staff has pulled in everything not nailed
down at the pool area, and there seems to be a spirit of excitement (not fear)
in the air of the guests.

I went to Safeway and loaded up with 3 bottles of wine and 2 days of food!
We are ready, with a great view from the ocean front "A" building at 204.
Makes me wish I had chosen the 3rd floor!

The moldy/oldy REO Speedwagon song of "Riding the Storm Out" come to mind!

valbo97

TUG Member
Reaction score
Flossie - Kauai OK at 3:45PM Monday 12 hours to Flossie

The weather is nicer now than yesterday. The storm is due in the middle of the night. Pono Kai has taken no precautions we can see or are aware of. Hopefully we will only be getting a lot of rain and some wind. Glad we are not in Hanalei - with floods the bridge could be a problem. Anyone beyond the bridge should be aware.

ww1aerofan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Moderate to Heavy Rain but little wind in Kihei Maui 3:50 PM

Flossie is here now with moderate rain and low visibility. It has been
raining steady for about an hour here in Kihei.

I am surprised there is very little wind, I would say no more than a
5-8 MPH breeze.

Hopefully this is all we get!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 53

kwindham

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hope everyone in the islands are staying safe!!! Keep us posted!

divenski

TUG Member
Reaction score
Now downgraded to a Depression, and so less of a threat. Also, it's shifting to the North. Tonight will be the real test for Maui.

sfwilshire

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tristram's Landing, Tree Tops Gatlinburg, Mystic Dunes, Sheraton Vistana Spas & Fountains
Watching it pour on Maui right now. We're at Kahana Beach Resort. It rained off and on all day. Flossie is no longer a Tropical Storm but is still dumping a lot of rain. Very loud thunder and bright lighting strikes.

It looks like it will all leave Maui within the next couple of hours. Looking forward to getting back to the beautiful weather.

Everyone here seemed nervous about losing power. There were at least 100 cars in line to get gas at Costco on Sunday. For some reason, everyone stocks up on water and toilet paper to prepare for a storm here. At home, it is milk and bread, sometimes beer, when we get snow warnings. Most people in Tennessee have a little extra tp at home, I guess.

No rain, no rainbows. I saw three this morning while I was on my balcony reading. They were there and gone in no time, so I had to be careful to look up often.

Sheila

Last edited:

PearlCity

TUG Member
Reaction score
Watching it pour on Maui right now. We're at Kahana Beach Resort. It rained off and on all day. Flossie is no longer a Tropical Storm but is still dumping a lot of rain. Very loud thunder and bright lighting strikes.

It looks like it will all leave Maui within the next couple of hours. Looking forward to getting back to the beautiful weather.

Everyone here seemed nervous about losing power. There were at least 100 cars in line to get gas at Costco on Sunday. For some reason, everyone stocks up on water and toilet paper to prepare for a storm here. At home, it is milk and bread, sometimes beer, when we get snow warnings. Most people in Tennessee have a little extra tp at home, I guess.

No rain, no rainbows. I saw three this morning while I was on my balcony reading. They were there and gone in no time, so I had to be careful to look up often.

Sheila

Yeah I don't get the toilet paper thing. I think it is from some stevadore strike years ago and people were out of toilet paper. Now though amazon delivers toilet paper, usually 2nd day air to.Hawaii. most of us here eat rice, and have at least a 25 lb bag of it so all we need is water, but seriously this tropical storm is so minor. Too much media hype. I'm still waiting.for it to come on oahu.. supposedly will be here in
20 minutes.

kwindham

TUG Member
Reaction score
How are the tuggers in Hawaii right now? Flossie gone yet?