• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Maui Schooner Owners

Kauai Kid

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Please help me decide whether to run for the Board of Directors at the Schooner.

Pros and Cons

Me thinks that Politicians should be changed regularly, just like underwear. :hysterical:

What about Board of Directors getting changed regularly?

Mahalo,

Sterling

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
If you do decide to run, let me know if there's anything I can do to help.

eal

TUG Review Crew: ELITE
TUG Member
Reaction score
I stayed at Maui Schooner for 4 weeks last November and the property seems well run and well taken care of. They do seem to have a few "old-fashioned" policies (lots of nagging about check-out time, taking out your garbage, etc., no recycling program, staff jumping to "no") etc. If I were an owner I would run - the resort is worth the necessary extra energy.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Sterling - maybe this resort is different, but it's been my experience that it is nearly impossible to get elected to a BOD unless you are hand-picked by the current board. The reason for this is that they never get a quorum for elections, so the board gets to pick the new board member. They usually look for corporate types that they can count on to rubber stamp their decisions.

Kauai Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
You;re probably right--I just hate to see there is no new blood year after year.

[political post deleted]

Sterling

Last edited by a moderator:

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
Congress and Timeshare BOD

[political post deleted]

As far as timeshare BOD's the ones that I am familiar with do get reelected all the time. I wonder how many are looking at cutting the costs to lower the maintenance that is paid by members.

Last edited by a moderator:

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
Sterling - maybe this resort is different, but it's been my experience that it is nearly impossible to get elected to a BOD unless you are hand-picked by the current board. The reason for this is that they never get a quorum for elections, so the board gets to pick the new board member. They usually look for corporate types that they can count on to rubber stamp their decisions.

I actually think "corporate types" on a Homeowners' BOD are actually less likely to be rubber stamps, but I can't prove that.

Kauai Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
I stayed at Maui Schooner for 4 weeks last November and the property seems well run and well taken care of. They do seem to have a few "old-fashioned" policies (lots of nagging about check-out time, taking out your garbage, etc., no recycling program, staff jumping to "no") etc. If I were an owner I would run - the resort is worth the necessary extra energy.

EAL: I know that the Schooner recycles Aluminum cans and Milk Jugs. Not so sure about anything else. Sorry to hear about the staff saying "no" too quickly.

If you have any other suggestions for improvements let me know and I'll pass them on to Nancy during our Feb-Mar "Holiday".

Bottom line: Would you go back again?

Mahalo, Sterling

eal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes I would go back, but I was told the recycling program is no longer, because it was "too messy" (more evidence of staff convenience being paramount).

We took our recycling to the center on our own.

Kauai Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes I would go back, but I was told the recycling program is no longer, because it was "too messy" (more evidence of staff convenience being paramount).

That's a shame. :eek:I'll ask about it when we get there.

Sterling

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Like most resorts I think there is a difference between the way owners and
Exchangers are treated. It was my first trip to the Schooner in December and
There was never any mention of rules or things that needed to be done. I was
Recognized as an owner and was introduced to most of the staff who were very
Nice and helpful. I asked about recycling too and was told to just use the
Dumpsters.

I did notice the same comments on TripAdvisor saying the same things that EAL
Mentioned so there's no doubt that is how they come across. Maybe it's just to
Non owners?

barefootnAR

Reaction score
Sterling, yes throw your hat in. It's true that with all the non returned ballots and proxy ballots the board has a large block of votes, but if you keep showing an interest and dialogue with the board they will eventually see you have merit.. then we'll see you on the BOD>:cheer: We'll vote for you
Sterling do check on the recycle, I understood that the county had stopped having pick up for some of the recyclable items.

eal, glad you will return. Yes our 10 am check out can be a pain. :(
This fall we had to put our "things either in the luggage storage or our car as we had to be out of our unit at 10 and moving to our friend's unit. We were in A and they wanted their week in B bldg. Thankful the folks in their unit left early, 8 am and the cleaning crew had it ready for us at 10:30.
The desk does try to accommodate folks on property changing units first, then for folks on island are with early flights. It really pushes them, when there the heavy duty extra deep cleaning time has arrived for a specific unit or touch up paint is needed.

Slip I checked the reviews on TA, out of the last 20 2 complained about construction/remodel noise and one about the manager Nancy lacking customer service. That person only had one 1 review and no forum comments.
There was another that said a/c in living room didn't cool the BR. That is a problem during hot weather, we put the fan stand in the hall way and blow air back to the BR. We had a few extra days once and stayed in Ma'alaea in a VRBO unit that had a living room a/c but it was on an hour timer for shut off. Oh my Kona weather rolled in and the BR was 89+ at night. UGH :eek:
There was one reviewer that was praising the staff. They had exchanged in for 4 wks using several different exchange companies. The staff was able to keep them booked in the same unit the whole 4 weeks. So exchangers do get friendly service. When we have visited with exchangers around the pool we get good feed back.
Another step to the welcome that Nancy does for folks who have grocery shopped before their unit is ready, she has put their groceries in the staff's refrigerator. When I have been in the office I have noticed these are usually exchangers. Don't know why someone would shop at 1 pm when check in is 4 pm..
I'm a DE on TA and haven't seen anything negative about the Maui Schooner that I can recall on the forum. However, small TS like the Schooner don't get much press there. Now we do have folks that "put down" the location of complexes on our beach, siting that it is a non swimmable beach. But hey I love my Schooner.. 20 years of 2 weeks of ownership!! :D

Last edited:

eal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes that was my review about getting 4 weeks on the same unit. The staff were indeed very helpful. I don't even mind the 10 am check out. It was the multiple reminders about how to prepare for check out that bugged me a bit - like I was staying with my mother lol.

Kauai Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Staying with my mother in law--I'd rather swim with JAWS than stay with her. Come to think of it there is a close resemblance, especially when she opens her mouth to say COW EYE is pretty but there are a lot of HIGH WAAH YANS around. :hysterical:

We solved that 10am checkout issues years ago. We leave the day before so we can relax in the hot tub, get a decent meal, pack clothes at our leisure, and then get ready for 8.5 hrs of fetal positions in coach. :zzz:

Sterling

Kauai Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score

How's the weather in Nanoose Bay? Right now in Texas they are forecasting 22F on Thursday with rain, sleet, ice, and snow preceding the 22F. Coldest winter in 8 years.

78F in Kihei on Monday. :cheer:

Sterling

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
My point was more like what EAL had said. I didn't say it was unfriendly service
But maybe the way people took the comments. I have nothing but good things
To say about my experience there. Remember I've only been there once but I
Was given room A404 at a really late notice for them. I'm sure it was luck but I
Was very happy.

I had a late checkin and the office was closed. Maintenance came over to let us
In and he took the time to show us around and take us to the unit. I'm really
Happy with my ownership, looking to make it annual.:D

TA's reviews are hard to judge and I don't take a lot of stock in them. If there
Is a complaint about the beach being not swimmable and that's the only
Complaint, I say that's a good review.:D

Last edited:

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The count down has begun for Sterling.:D

Hope the weather holds so you don't have problems getting there and back.
I had to sweat out flight cancelations last week on my trip to Houston. It was
A pain. I lucked out with only one cancelation.

barefootnAR

Reaction score
Weather has been crazy, with Sterling getting what we usually get up here in NE Texas.
eal, that was a nice review you wrote. so glad the staff could help you out.
"staying with my mom" and " staying with my mother-in law_"..needed a laugh thanks guys.
SLIP, the beach comments are just on the forum when folks have asked about staying at the Maui Sunset or other condos next to us. Sometimes I miss not having a great snorkel beach just out front , or rather out back, but then we would have a crowd of folks. I like the quite park.
I'm glad you enjoyed your first stay. Do be careful about booking 4th floor in Sept or Oct, it can get hot up there. But I would take the 4th floor instead of the B building.

mlpmd56

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yep we have a lot of "NO's"

Hi Sterling. You and I have discussed this before. PLEASE RUN. Then appoint me. I think it is SHEAR LUCK that we avoided that special assessment when the board got a designer involved in the remodel. Yikes. They were tearing the whole place up two weeks ago with the side walks all blocked. I was stuck in Building B (my fault for not calling immediately at 18 months out for a reservation) BUT, and here is the huge "BUT" I got no co-operation whatsoever with trying to change rooms, at least to one that did not have a second bedroom up steps in the loft. Nancy did come out when she heard me begging at the front desk, and offered me a first floor unit in building B which my husband would not take. I was with a friend dying of cancer and on chemo, and I have a bad knee, so the loft was a total pain. But we could see the ocean from the lanai which was good. My big gripe was that they would not even CONSIDER letting us change rooms on Sunday (we were in a Sat to Sat unit) even with us offering to pay a cleaning fee. I have been an owner for 10 years, for the record. REALLY was unimpressed with one particular front desk person who will get a letter complaining about her sent from me to Nancy. Anyway, the front desk said NO alot. This is new in my experience and I DO NOT like it. And correct, no recycling any more. Marcy

mlpmd56

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Oh, yeah and the endless reminders about trash and check out are EXTREMELY annoying.....

Blues

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Can any of you owners (or anyone else) tell me when all this remodeling is going to be finished? I've got an exchange scheduled for October, and I'm hoping it will be quiet by then. Thanks.

-Bob

Kauai Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Please help me decide whether to run for the Board of Directors at the Schooner.

Pros and Cons

Me thinks that Politicians should be changed regularly, just like underwear. :hysterical:

What about Board of Directors getting changed regularly?

Mahalo,

Sterling

After all the support I received I emailed my resume for a BOD position this afternoon.

I'm not holding my breath but nothing ventured nothing gained.

Thanks for your support.

Sterling

Kauai Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Sterling. You and I have discussed this before. PLEASE RUN. Then appoint me. I think it is SHEAR LUCK that we avoided that special assessment when the board got a designer involved in the remodel. Yikes. They were tearing the whole place up two weeks ago with the side walks all blocked. I was stuck in Building B (my fault for not calling immediately at 18 months out for a reservation) BUT, and here is the huge "BUT" I got no co-operation whatsoever with trying to change rooms, at least to one that did not have a second bedroom up steps in the loft. Nancy did come out when she heard me begging at the front desk, and offered me a first floor unit in building B which my husband would not take. I was with a friend dying of cancer and on chemo, and I have a bad knee, so the loft was a total pain. But we could see the ocean from the lanai which was good. My big gripe was that they would not even CONSIDER letting us change rooms on Sunday (we were in a Sat to Sat unit) even with us offering to pay a cleaning fee. I have been an owner for 10 years, for the record. REALLY was unimpressed with one particular front desk person who will get a letter complaining about her sent from me to Nancy. Anyway, the front desk said NO alot. This is new in my experience and I DO NOT like it. And correct, no recycling any more. Marcy

Who is the "NO" Person?? Make sure Nancy is aware, make sure the BOD is aware, and please let all the owners know who the NO person is. "One bad apple banana will spoil the bunch" :banana: Look at all the negative comments the Schooner has received because of one single NO person.:mad:

Seriously, please consider publishing the name in TUG, the local newspaper, and the National Inquirer :hysterical: so it will show up in every Kihei checkout stand aisle.

Mahalo, Sterling

ww1aerofan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Go for it Sterling!!

Sterling,

You have my two votes for the two weeks I own!

I personally think the Schooner board has done a reasonable job,
and I am very glad common sense finally prevailed on the room upgrades.

What appears lacking to me is a vision for the future of the place.
It has been "steady as she goes" for the 5 years I have been an owner.

Excitement is needed at the resort.

Have joint party's with the other neighbor resorts, sponsor a tennis tournament,
have a wine tasting night, a daily raffle, get a 1-2 man band into the pool area
on Fri or. sat night for a few hours.....

I think a vision on where we want the resort to be in 5 or 10 years from now
would be great. I personally would like to see more kids and families as
owners, as they add life and activity to the place.