• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Possible Rental Scam

Docklander

TUG Member
Reaction score
As of this point this is only a possible scam as we can't be 100% sure (this is still being looked into). I thought I'd post a warning just in case - better safe than sorry.

We were contacted, via a posting on RedWeek, by a user wanting to rent one of our units. The opening email looked normal enough - the lady was excited to be able to get a unit she wanted for a good price and wanted it as a "treat" for her husband and son. She also wanted to proceed asap and suggested that she would send a check from her work via DHL (nothing too strange so far).

We then sent her details of the unit (no confirmation number was given at this point) together with our usual rental terms to make sure she was happy to proceed. We also included an address where the check should be sent should she go ahead with the rental.

In her very next email she confirmed that she was more than happy with the terms and that she'd already sent payment via DHL (remember, she hasn't been given a confirmation number yet). She included a small JPEG which appeared to be of a DHL docket (the JPEG was too small to resolve clearly). The image was, supposedly, a link to DHL where we could track the progress of the check. The link opened a page with a DHL logo which asked for an email address and password.

The willingness to send a check without being given a confirmation number had aroused our suspicions and the fact that the URL of the webpage that the link directed us had no mention of DHL in it made us even more suspicious.

I emailed the potential renter and asked what email address and password were needed to track the DHL shipment. The reply came back saying that we should use the email address that we used to communicate with them and to use the password "pass". This didn't work. When we emailed back to say that the email/password combination wasn't working, the renter asked for a phone number to contact us....which we provided.

We were then called by a foreign-sounding man (I'm not casting aspersions...just providing detail in case this happens to anyone else) who was using a very bad phone line from somewhere with noise in the background.
(note: from the name on the emails we had been receiving we thought we had been dealing with a woman but this guy said he was calling on behalf of his wife). The man proceeded to suggest that the password we should be using to track the DHL shipment is one that we'd normally associate with our email address :eek:

We pointed out that, as we didn't have a DHL account, we couldn't see how any of our passwords could possibly work in this situation and that we were certainly not going to be typing them in to a website we'd never seen before. The phone line got worse and we got disconnected.

We've sent an email back saying that we would not be accessing that site again but that we'd be more than happy to put the unit in the name of their choice when the DHL package turns up :). We haven't heard back since.

We've contacted DHL who couldn't verify if the site was authentic or not :wall: so we've emailed them with a link - let's hope we hear back.

I don't expect the DHL package will ever turn up (although you never know....). I suspect (and this is only a suspicion as we have no proof) that this was an elaborate phishing expedition attempting to get us to reveal a password that could then be used, in conjunction with out email address, to log on to various websites.

Luckily neither the address nor the telephone number we provided are associated with our MVCI account (although the email address is) so they should have a tough time getting Marriott to believe that they are us if they try to call them.

I'll report back if/when we hear back from DHL but, in the meantime, if anyone contacts you for a rental and it sounds anything like this, just please be careful :)

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
All of my rental replies include a cell phone number saying "call or text" ... why? because most people like to HEAR the voice & speak to someone who they are sending money to. I only use a US POST OFFICE BOX and always tell them, USPS is the only mail source I use due to security of their overnight mail, mail is never left outside my house and they (the client) can track the package. I suggest USPS money order (replaceable) or a certified bank check - as I don't need to know their banking info.

Almost all of my possible renters call me somewhere along this process. Even people from Europe (Skype) and other foreign countries. Many are relieved that I own the units I am renting, like knowing that I know the resort & area, and commit to renting the offered week. And many come back and rent again.

Yes, almost all my repeat clients send me a personal check in following years ... just one less step they need to take plus they generally rent EARLIER than the first year (to get lower airfares).

If you are renting the first time or only once or twice a year, you are mostly dealing only once with any renter - next year will be a new client. Just put yourself in their shoes - but expect 'the con' .... you should call the client, you should address the means of delivery of the (I really like USPS money orders) money transfer AND where it is delivered to (not my house, but nothing is delivered to my house).

Good luck ... renting is not as easy as it sounds.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
This is not a possible scam. It is a scam.

Enter your email to track their package?

Go to a "DHL" site that isn't DHL?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
You should contact Redweek immediately, so they can investigate, and ban this person.

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Bidding adieu...

You should contact Redweek immediately, so they can investigate, and ban this person.

Denise indirectly identifies still another beneficial feature of the RedWeek ad response process. Since anyone and everyone responding to a RedWeek ad necessarily has a paid Redweek membership (...read "probably traceable payment method and identity") many scammers are intimidated and scared off, unwilling to exit their little worm holes and risk identification. The more brave and intrepid ones who step forward anyhow, despite the risk of exposure, can usually be identified and can be banned --- likely to just move over to (anonymous and free) Craigslist instead. :wave:

famy27

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wonder if, in addition to possible phishing, this might be an overpayment scam. It's possible a check will turn up, but for an amount greater than the rental price.

Docklander

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wonder if, in addition to possible phishing, this might be an overpayment scam. It's possible a check will turn up, but for an amount greater than the rental price.

Quite possibly!

RW have now responded and they appear to be addressing this (we weren't the first to contact them about this).

According to RW:

"We have sent out warnings to all the owners who were contacted by the scammer. If the DHL link is clicked on, somehow the scammers gain access to your email account then are also able to use the Forgot your password to gain access to your RedWeek account."

A point:

I don't believe the scammers are "somehow" getting access to people's accounts - they're getting access by people actually typing in their real passwords into the DHL site (as we were asked to do). I don't think this is much of a mystery.

As a precaution we've changed our RW email and password but we're not expecting any further fallout from this.

Docklander

TUG Member
Reaction score

Almost as you predicted :) ....this email turned up today (forwarded to RW):

"Also i want to know if i can pay via Credit Card... All i have to do is send over the card details.. then you charge it and confirm my reservation..Also i will be having a nanny come over for the vacation as well.She doesn't have a Credit card so i will be the one to take care of her expenses. You will charge Extra $1500 for her logistics and send it to her before her arrival.. Let me know if you can do this for me..I'd appreciate your help....Please write back..
Many thanks."

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
A reminder that clicking on unknown links can land malware/trojan on your computer where it sends back keystrokes (passwords etc.). Not good practice to click on links from strangers...

Beaglemom3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ask them to please call you right away and give them this number, "your work number", because you want to be sure that you have all of their correct information for payment.

310 477-6565

It is for the Los Angeles branch of the FBI.

=

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The second paragraph in your first post told me this is a scam. I would not have proceeded farther.

Beaglemom3

TUG Member
Reaction score
http://www.fbi.gov/scams-safety/e-scams All sorts of good info there including timeshare scams and malware encryption.

From the FBI website:

Timeshare Marketing Scams

01/25/12—Timeshare owners across the country are being scammed out of millions of dollars by unscrupulous companies that promise to sell or rent the unsuspecting victims’ timeshares. In the typical scam, timeshare owners receive unexpected or uninvited telephone calls or e-mails from criminals posing as sales representatives for a timeshare resale company. The representative promises a quick sale, often within 60-90 days. The sales representatives often use high-pressure sales tactics to add a sense of urgency to the deal. Some victims have reported that sales representatives pressured them by claiming there was a buyer waiting in the wings, either on the other line or even present in the office.

Timeshare owners who agree to sell are told that they must pay an upfront fee to cover anything from listing and advertising fees to closing costs. Many victims have provided credit cards to pay the fees ranging from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars. Once the fee is paid, timeshare owners report that the company becomes evasive—calls go unanswered, numbers are disconnected, and websites are inaccessible.

In some cases, timeshare owners who have been defrauded by a timeshare sales scheme have been subsequently contacted by an unscrupulous timeshare fraud recovery company as well. The representative from the recovery company promises assistance in recovering money lost in the sales scam. Some recovery companies require an up-front fee for services rendered, while others promise no fees will be paid unless a refund is obtained for the timeshare owner. The IC3 has identified some instances where people involved with the recovery company also have a connection to the resale company, raising the possibility that timeshare owners are being scammed twice by the same people.

If you are contacted by someone offering to sell or rent your timeshare, the IC3 recommends using caution. Listed below are tips you can use to avoid becoming a victim of a timeshare scheme:
◾Be wary if a company asks you for up-front fees to sell or rent your timeshare.
◾Read the fine print of any sales contract or rental agreement provided.
◾Check with the Better Business Bureau to ensure the company is reputable.

To obtain more information on Internet schemes, visit www.LooksTooGoodToBeTrue.com.

Anyone who believes they have been a victim of this type of scam should promptly report it to the IC3’s website at www.IC3.gov. The IC3’s complaint database links complaints together to refer them to the appropriate law enforcement agency for case consideration.

Last edited:

Docklander

TUG Member
Reaction score
The second paragraph in your first post told me this is a scam. I would not have proceeded farther.

In normal circumstances I would agree with you, but, as someone with a TS website I wanted to see how this played out. I wanted to know how these particular scammers were going about their scams and what their scams are. That info, together with cooperation from other TS websites makes it a lot easier to protect our users.

I was also very deliberate with my choice of phrase "possible scam" - as an individual it's easy to get away with saying just about anything on the internet but, as a corporate entity, you need to be very very careful before labelling someone a scammer....no matter how sure you are :)

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
I got this email from Redweek this morning:

Scammers have been targeting RedWeek members with a trick to access your
e-mail. If successful, they're then able to compromise other services --
in some cases, hijacking RedWeek accounts and posing as reputable members.

It's important that you know how to identify this scam to protect both
yourself and the RedWeek community.

First, never send money by wire transfer (e.g., Western Union). It's the
primary method scammers use -- it makes those payments untrackable and
nearly impossible to recover. Also be wary of deals that seem too good to
be true. And don’t hesitate to contact us if you find something suspicious.

How the scam works:

- In the course of negotiating a transaction, you receive an e-mail with
a link or an attachment that takes you to a legitimate-looking e-mail
login page (Google, Yahoo, Hotmail, AOL, etc.).

- You enter the login information for your account and click submit.

- The scammers capture this information and use it to access your e-mail.

- They then take control of other accounts, such as your RedWeek account,
that depend on e-mail to verify your identity.

Protect yourself:

- Never log in to an account through a link or an attachment in an
e-mail -- even if the e-mail looks legit. Go directly to the website
in question to log in.

- If you think you’ve fallen victim to this trick:

FIRST, secure your e-mail account.

See Google’s security checklist for recommendations:
https://support.google.com/mail/checklist/2986618

After you're certain your e-mail account has been
secured, begin changing the passwords on your other accounts
(such as your RedWeek account).

Finally, e-mail us at fraud@redweek.com to let us know that your
account was compromised. We are working with law enforcement to
identify and prosecute these criminals.

More information about this scam is available at:

http://blogs.mcafee.com/consumer/google-docs-phishing-scam
https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/75061?hl=en

Lingber

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Coconut Plantation, Hyatt Sunset Harbor
Received the Redweek alert twice yesterday. So many scammers out there. Makes me nervous to rent. :(

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Received the Redweek alert twice yesterday. So many scammers out there. Makes me nervous to rent. :(

Scam renters are very easy to spot, if you take a few simple precautions.

camachinist

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yeah, also got the RW scam alerts. So far, no obvious scams identified

Something else I've noted is a spate of vacation resellers descending upon my Marriott intervals, so much so that I've had to put verbiage in my ads specifically excluding consideration of such offers. While perhaps not scams, I've yet to find one who would have their customer fill out my rental agreement, hence creating a conflict between the name on the rental agreement and the name on the reservation with owner services.

I've been renting on Redweek for a decade now and done dozens of rentals and never have seen so many brokers/resellers before.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yeah, also got the RW scam alerts. So far, no obvious scams identified

Something else I've noted is a spate of vacation resellers descending upon my Marriott intervals, so much so that I've had to put verbiage in my ads specifically excluding consideration of such offers. While perhaps not scams, I've yet to find one who would have their customer fill out my rental agreement, hence creating a conflict between the name on the rental agreement and the name on the reservation with owner services.

I've been renting on Redweek for a decade now and done dozens of rentals and never have seen so many brokers/resellers before.

Except for one rental agent (who is probably Legit, but is a jerk so I have his emails on "delete") I have had a good experience with every rental agent I have worked with, and a few have become regular customers.

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
Except for one rental agent (who is probably Legit, but is a jerk so I have his emails on "delete") I have had a good experience with every rental agent I have worked with, and a few have become regular customers.

Could you be referring to one Preston Green?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned

camachinist

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do those agents forward your agreement to their client to fill out and sign, forming an enforceable legal contract?

So far, none of the brokers who've contacted me have done so, even where I offered them the option of blanking out the pricing so the client couldn't see what they paid. My sense is that they like to bottom fish and then find the profitable client later and I'm simply not interested in that milieu, nor having problems with Marriott owner services.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I always sign their contract, and they always give me the renter's name and address up front so they can get the confirmation right away. The transactions have been smooth, professional, and quick payment - in-full and upfront.

camachinist

TUG Member
Reaction score
OK, that makes sense. I don't participate in those rentals so I'll be happy to send them to you. I've got three currently in my inbox if you'd like some additional opportunities. That's an outgrowth of my legal experiences with real world real estate sublets and dealing with the fallout. YMMV and I'm happy to pass on the contacts.