• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

DRI Hawaii points discussion

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
We had our "Owners Update" in Poipu this week. According to the sales rep, the minimum block of points they sell in the Hawaii Collection is 11,500 points, at more than $100,000.

At that price point I can't imagine that they wouldn't continue to take deedbacks for weeks and trust memberships at Poipu and Kaanapali.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
We had our "Owners Update" in Poipu this week. According to the sales rep, the minimum block of points they sell in the Hawaii Collection is 11,500 points, at more than $100,000.

At that price point I can't imagine that they wouldn't continue to take deedbacks for weeks and trust memberships at Poipu and Kaanapali.

Repeat deedbacks by DRI is a WIN WIN for DRI.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
DRI

In February we bought 7500 points and paid less than $30,000.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
In February we bought 7500 points and paid less than $30,000.
Was that Hawaii Collection? Hawaii Collection supposedly sells for more $/point than US Collection.

Every time we say "No, thank you" when they throw out the initial price, soon thereafter the presenter goes to review our account info, and finds some previous offer which we declined and for some reason is still valid even though we were very explicitly told that the offer would never be available to us. This time they found an offer for us at about $3.30/point that we first turned down about eight years ago. Last year they dredged up that offer again, and tried to get us to buy 10,000 points to get to Gold, which still would have been more than $30k. We said no, as the sales person professed astonishment that we would turn down such an outrageous deal when the retail price for those same points was nearly $100k.

This year they "discovered" that that offer hadn't been properly closed out in their system, and could possibly be reactivated. They said that we could have purchased 3500 points under that offer, and if we had also enrolled one of our other timeshare ownerships in the Club Combinations program we could have gotten 6500 points toward membership level, giving the 10,000 additional we needed for Gold membership. Since that wasn't explained to us last year, they would be willing to petition the main office to reopen the offer if we submitted such a request.

It was worth it to us to get to a Gold at that price point so we did it. So effectively the price to get into Gold dropped from $105K to $12K.

johnrsrq

TUG Member
Reaction score
This year they "discovered" that that offer hadn't been properly closed out in their system, and could possibly be reactivated. They said that we could have purchased 3500 points under that offer, and if we had also enrolled one of our other timeshare ownerships in the Club Combinations program we could have gotten 6500 points toward membership level, giving the 10,000 additional we needed for Gold membership. Since that wasn't explained to us last year, they would be willing to petition the main office to reopen the offer if we submitted such a request.

It was worth it to us to get to a Gold at that price point so we did it. So effectively the price to get into Gold dropped from $105K to $12K.[/QUOTE]

I would suppose that "gold" was worthwhile addition to your dri CLUB account. Given the knowledge you have shared over time, it gives some credence to my eventual plan to go up a level, should I care to.

Seems to me, too many bashers of dri (although they deserve much) and do not understand how the model is opening hotel, higher end properties and on average less costly for those in legacy entrants into the CLUB not direct no-combo retail. There seems to be an insistance on this as a fact but when I look at lower entry Marriott (entry and mf's) vrs combo entrants, I probably would choose DRI's. However, I'd probably have neither if I wasn't already engaged.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Was that Hawaii Collection? Hawaii Collection supposedly sells for more $/point than US .

Yes Hawaiian Collection. We bought Point at Poipu. This was our first and so far only DRI Purchase. Also we are temporarily Gold for 2 years and permanently Silver. We also have Club Select/Combination with our Worldmark. I can make 2 Worldmark Reservations in DRI's name using 14000 Worldmark Points and get 15000 DRI Points into my DRI Account.

Last edited:

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
What is the average cost per point to belong to DRI "The Club?"

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
Was that Hawaii Collection? Hawaii Collection supposedly sells for more $/point than US Collection.

Every time we say "No, thank you" when they throw out the initial price, soon thereafter the presenter goes to review our account info, and finds some previous offer which we declined and for some reason is still valid even though we were very explicitly told that the offer would never be available to us. This time they found an offer for us at about $3.30/point that we first turned down about eight years ago. Last year they dredged up that offer again, and tried to get us to buy 10,000 points to get to Gold, which still would have been more than $30k. We said no, as the sales person professed astonishment that we would turn down such an outrageous deal when the retail price for those same points was nearly $100k.

It was worth it to us to get to a Gold at that price point so we did it. So effectively the price to get into Gold dropped from $105K to $12K.

Now that you're Gold, let us know if the Preferred Unit Reservation works at P@P to get the exact unit you like. Do you have points in the Hawaii Collection or just deeded weeks in the Club?

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Now that you're Gold, let us know if the Preferred Unit Reservation works at P@P to get the exact unit you like. Do you have points in the Hawaii Collection or just deeded weeks in the Club?

I'll find out shortly how it works, as that was a key factor for us to move to Gold.

As of now we have both a deeded week in the Club and Hawaii Collection points in the Club. Three of our now adult children are now vacationing with us regularly in Hawaii, and they like the Point. So we have expanded our ownership to be able to reserve at least two units at a time, for up to ten days. With our new Gold membership upgrades we can get everyone into ocean view or ocean front units. And by being able to select units we hope to get everyone in close proximity so we can move from unit to unit.

The proof will be in the pudding, as we try this out. I made the first reservation for next year today at the Club, and they told me I needed to contact the resort regarding room reservations. I called the resort but couldn't get through today. Will try again tomorrow, but at this particular juncture I'm mostly just trying to understand how the process works.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
As of now we have both a deeded week in the Club and Hawaii Collection points in the Club.

Are the deeded week points limited to booking 12 months out and the collection points limited to 13 months out? Can you see a difference in how many points of each are available when you book online? Just wondering in case I ever want to try and get my resale weeks into the Club so I could get to Gold.

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score

The proof will be in the pudding, as we try this out. I made the first reservation for next year today at the Club, and they told me I needed to contact the resort regarding room reservations. I called the resort but couldn't get through today. Will try again tomorrow, but at this particular juncture I'm mostly just trying to understand how the process works.
They are full of it. I was told by two resorts to call the Club to open the reservation to place the unit request that way.

After all these years, you'd figure they would figure out how to effectively train their reps correctly.

I would be interested in what you find out.

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
...Just wondering in case I ever want to try and get my resale weeks into the Club so I could get to Gold.
Art - DRI has demonstrated time and time again they erode elite benefits whenever they feel like it. I would recommend you seriously consider whether to put more money into this to get to Gold, if 'promised' benefits is the driving factor for you.

gjw007

TUG Member
Reaction score

I have used the Preferred Unit reservation when i went to Maui. I made the the reservation online. There will be a question if you want to use your preferred unit. If you select yes, you will see a selection of units available and select the one you like. Not all units were available as they may have been fixed weeks or others may have chosen them before i did

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have used the Preferred Unit reservation when i went to Maui. I made the the reservation online. There will be a question if you want to use your preferred unit. If you select yes, you will see a selection of units available and select the one you like. Not all units were available as they may have been fixed weeks or others may have chosen them before i did

That's exactly how I'd like it to work at P@P.

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
Are you able to see any availability for the deluxe ocean front units fire the Maui property? I cannot.

gjw007

TUG Member
Reaction score
Are you able to see any availability for the deluxe ocean front units fire the Maui property? I cannot.

I had made reservations for the deluxe ocean front unit at kbc and selected a full ocean view (1010 i believe was the unit but i would have to check to be sure, attached panoramic view from my unit). None of the corner front units were available. I had stayed previously in a a deluxe ocean front (1214) but i considered it to be a partial ocean front as i had an ocean view but i also had a mointain view as the unit was not directly facing the ocean but was on the side of the building.

I can check dates if you like

Attachments

• 20150511_185039.jpg
    20150511_185039.jpg
    700.6 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:

Poobah

TUG Member
Reaction score
P@P Inventories

As a P@P deeded owner (four weeks) I can make my reservation 12 months in advance or, more accurately, 360 days advance. I do not participate in the DRI Club, Trust, or whatever, but as the previous post said they can reserve 13 months out. It is my understanding, unless things have changed the 13 months out provides no advantage over the deeded owner's 12 months, because the rooms come out of different inventories.

The only advantage is whose inventory has the most primo units. Deed owners are essentially all "equal". DRI created a "caste system" based on your (spend) level like a Frequent Flyer Program. I can only assume there is a "bumping process" in the DRI inventories when it comes to reserving the primo units.

Cheers,

Paul

kalima

TUG Member
Reaction score
Deeded week & points contracts....13 mth booking

fyi.....if you are a multiple contract owner (I have a deeded week and also some points at my home resort) you can book 13 months in advance for your week as well of course as your points. :):)

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
As a P@P deeded owner (four weeks) I can make my reservation 12 months in advance or, more accurately, 360 days advance. I do not participate in the DRI Club, Trust, or whatever, but as the previous post said they can reserve 13 months out. It is my understanding, unless things have changed the 13 months out provides no advantage over the deeded owner's 12 months, because the rooms come out of different inventories.

The only advantage is whose inventory has the most primo units. Deed owners are essentially all "equal". DRI created a "caste system" based on your (spend) level like a Frequent Flyer Program. I can only assume there is a "bumping process" in the DRI inventories when it comes to reserving the primo units.

Cheers,

Paul
I've done a bit of checking of the ability to reserve specific units at Poipu. So far, every time I have tried to see what units are available, the selection option has never been offered for OF; only for GV, POV, and OV.

Reaction score
New Booking Rights for HI Collection owners

Haven't been around here for some time... but just returned from week at KBC and a week at the Point. Upon Friday check-in at KBC, the push for an update started with a $100 dining bribe, but we remained indifferent. Over the next day and a half they continued to get us to bite, by upping the dining card amount to $150; finally we were offered $200, so we agreed IF we could get it done that day (Sunday) since it was a rain-out. So for $200 in dining cash, we were bought.

Naturally the "no more than 55 minutes" turned out to be about 2 hours, but for $200 in the rain it was worth signing away our rights to yet ANOTHER previous rate offer that was mysteriously "not properly closed out" in their system.

We did however learn something that we were unaware of, and very pleased to hear. Apparently for Hawaii Collection owners, the 13 month booking window has been expanded to include properties in the CA Collection. This adds about a dozen or so properties including Tahoe from the list we were shown. (It was also made clear that CA owners DO NOT have reciprocal rights for Hawaii.)

I couldn't quickly find anything on this previously discussed here... Has anyone else come across any info on this change?

Joe

Michael1991

Reaction score
I would say that this is only partly true. The two collections, Hawaii and California, own intervals at the same resorts. Hawaii owners have home collection advantage (13 month window) to the intervals that Hawaii owns, but not to intervals that California owns. Since all the California locations are also in Hawaii, it is true to say "the 13 month booking window ... include properties in the CA Collection." But to say that the booking window "has been expanded to include [California] properties" is not true.

Calif. Collection resorts are:
Lake Tahoe Vacation Resort
San Luis Bay Inn
Tahoe Beach and Ski Club
Polo Towers Suites
Sedona Summit

Hawaii Collection resorts are:
Sedona Summit Resort
Lake Tahoe Vacation Resort
Tahoe Beach and Ski Club
San Luis Bay Inn
Palm Canyon Resort and Spa
Ka’anapali Beach Club
The Point at Poipu
Cancun Resort Las Vegas
Polo Towers Villas
Polo Towers Suite
Cedar Breaks Lodge

donnsuz

Reaction score
We went on a "one hour" (which took three hours) update in Kona a couple of weeks ago. After holding out we also were offered $200 in resort credit. We had racked up quite a tab at the resort restaurant so this worked out for us. We were offered 1000 points and the "right" to move our 50,000 US Collection points over to the Hawaii Collection for the bargain basement price of $30,000. Their argument was that US Collection owners would soon not be able to trade into Hawaii Collection properties. We turned this down and still ended up getting talked into buying a Sampler for $3000. I'm pretty sure we got ripped off royally with this one. We really want to take extended family to Hawaii next year and after their scare tactics I wasn't sure we'd be able to get in, thus the Sampler purchase. We KNOW BETTER than to suck into their ploys but we seem to keep doing it - and then often regret it later.

post-it

TUG Member
Reaction score
We went on a "one hour" (which took three hours) update in Kona a couple of weeks ago. After holding out we also were offered $200 in resort credit. We had racked up quite a tab at the resort restaurant so this worked out for us. We were offered 1000 points and the "right" to move our 50,000 US Collection points over to the Hawaii Collection for the bargain basement price of $30,000. Their argument was that US Collection owners would soon not be able to trade into Hawaii Collection properties. We turned this down and still ended up getting talked into buying a Sampler for $3000. I'm pretty sure we got ripped off royally with this one. We really want to take extended family to Hawaii next year and after their scare tactics I wasn't sure we'd be able to get in, thus the Sampler purchase. We KNOW BETTER than to suck into their ploys but we seem to keep doing it - and then often regret it later.

Been there done that! We also purchased a small amount of points (not sampler) since we're short enough points to be able to stay in a 2 bedroom if necessary. Went home and rescinded the contract.

We did come across many couples that also purchased the Sampler though, 15,000 pts. for around $3000.00. Did they tell you which resorts you can book with the sampler?

RLS50

TUG Member
Reaction score
Could I ask a question here?

Why would DRI expect anybody to spend another $30K for the right to use 50K points they already own? How could they just arbitrarily switch up what collections you can trade in to? It is one thing to charge more points for a stay, or up MF's related to points, but to entirely cut off a selection of Diamond resorts unless you pay to convert your existing points so that you can now use them for those specific resorts? So now the Diamond plan is that you have to pay additional money to even use points you already own within their network for the "better" resorts?

I know I don't understand the DRI system like everybody else, but I am trying to figure it out since they bought Gold Key.

Honestly, that deal you outlined above (on the surface) offends me. That seems like blackmail to me. Then again that could be because I know nothing about DRI and don't understand all the Pros and Cons.

But if I already owned 50K DRI points and they told me that I was going to have to give them another $30K or else my access to Hawaii was eventually going to get cut off if I didn't pay them more money, I would walk out and just go buy a Gold oceanfront Marriott week in Hawaii (or two).

JMO, and apologies in advance for my ignorance about the DRI system.

Last edited:

Michael1991

Reaction score
When Diamond sells points, those points are deposited into a trust fund. Diamond calls these trust funds "collections". There are eight trust fund collections and currently points are actively sold in four of them. Owners in a trust fund have an advanced booking window of 13 months on intervals owned by that trust fund and a 10 month window for intervals owned by the other seven trusts.

One of the trust funds is "Hawaii". It holds deeds in two Hawaii resorts and nine other mainland resorts. Owners in, for example, the "US Collection" (the large mainland trust fund) have a 10 month advance booking to the two Hawaii resorts while owners in the "Hawaii Collection" have a 13 month window.

Sales reps in Hawaii try to convince US owners to convert to Hawaii ownership in order to get the 13 month booking window. I can't tell you why, but there are owners willing to pay for this.